Lets! Go! Hurley!

TDAH88

Ryan is a good kid, but not that good of a player. he has two touchdown throws and i think 5 interceptions. Im starting to think this is the time to start Hurley. Hes the next best QB and with Cov Cath coming up, a not so good opponent, maybe this is the game to switch. He'll have a game under his belt and maybe we can put him in situations that will make him uncomfortable and he can learn to adjust. This can also be a good move looking toward next season. X will return maybe 18 key players and if we have a QB with experience we could compete with and possibly beat everyone in the nation. I think its time Ryan is sat down, and Hurley steps up. thoughts?

TDAH88 said:
Ryan is a good kid, but not that good of a player. he has two touchdown throws and i think 5 interceptions. Im starting to think this is the time to start Hurley. Hes the next best QB and with Cov Cath coming up, a not so good opponent, maybe this is the game to switch. He'll have a game under his belt and maybe we can put him in situations that will make him uncomfortable and he can learn to adjust. This can also be a good move looking toward next season. X will return maybe 18 key players and if we have a QB with experience we could compete with and possibly beat everyone in the nation. I think its time Ryan is sat down, and Hurley steps up. thoughts?
Nothing against Hurley, but since when did he become the #2 qb? Just asking?

Morris has only 4 INTs, that's a correction.

But Morris just passed for almost 200 yards (194 to be exact) yesterday against the 3rd best team in the nation, that's pretty good...yeah I know he had 2 INTs and only 1 TD, but if that pass hadn't been intercepted and he had thrown for a TD we'd be praising him right now! (And his stats would change to 2 TD's, 1 INT, and 200+ passing yards...not bad at all)

leave ryan alone. hes fine at qb and we can win with him. hurley is a player that physically could go D1, but mentally is still in gradeschool

TDAH88 said:

This isn't showing support for our team by ripping on the starter. Why would you question Specht's decision to keep him in at QB--you would think he knows what he is doing after winning a state championship and having a record of 29-2! Ryan is a good QB who will only get better. IF Specht ever thought he wasn't getting the job done I'm sure he would take him out, but so far, Ryan has played just fine. Don't go ripping on any of our starters--it doesnt show very good team support.

I am just assuming that topgun is good friends with morris and doesn't want to see him lose his spot, but i am just going to state the statistics. In the game on saturday morris threw for 194 yards (should've been a lot more) 14-28 (50% completion) and two interceptions. The passes he didn't complete, the wide receiver was wide open and the pass was thrown 3 feet over the receivers head. He needs to be more confotable in the pocket, he is yet to realize that he has 5, 300lb lineman protecting him. He rushes every pass and in the second half he looked scared everytime he threw a pass.

Last night after the game i did blame the game on the reffs. However, i now see that there were many things that couldv'e been changed. If you think that when someone suggests that we need a new quarterback is ripping on Morris, fine then, i guess i am ripping on morris. I won't put the game on him. It just seems to me that maybe we should try roll the dice during one of our "easier" games and see how Hurley or Billy perform.

xbomberd08 said:
Morris has only 4 INTs, that's a correction.

But Morris just passed for almost 200 yards (194 to be exact) yesterday against the 3rd best team in the nation, that's pretty good...yeah I know he had 2 INTs and only 1 TD, but if that pass hadn't been intercepted and he had thrown for a TD we'd be praising him right now! (And his stats would change to 2 TD's, 1 INT, and 200+ passing yards...not bad at all)

How close was Milligan to pulling in pass during the last drive?

eastside_purple said:
How close was Milligan to pulling in pass during the last drive?

milligan made a diving attempt to catch the ball but it was off his fingertips. i'm not sure, but he may have slowed down when he turned around for the ball. imo it was a nice pass, his man seemed like he was right on him.

I don't know what attitude you're talking about. One of the problems with Hurley is that it doesn't seem like he has enough confidence in himself as a player to be the starter. That's how pretty much all juniors feel when they are going through their first year of varsity and really haven't experianced what it's like to play at the varsity level. He doesn't have the confidence in himself that Morris shows, which causes all the other people on the team to have confidence in Ryan and trust him.

xbomberman67 said:
I don't know what attitude you're talking about. One of the problems with Hurley is that it doesn't seem like he has enough confidence in himself as a player to be the starter. That's how pretty much all juniors feel when they are going through their first year of varsity and really haven't experianced what it's like to play at the varsity level. He doesn't have the confidence in himself that Morris shows, which causes all the other people on the team to have confidence in Ryan and trust him.

he has terrible attitude. he is extremely arrogant and the coaches cannot stand him.

You guys shouldn't be starting a QB controversy publicly on Yappi, especially with mean guys like me lurking in the bushes. ;)

XtremeXFan said:
Actually I heard that they were gunna move Howard to QB cuz he has got a cannon for an arm...
thats not exactly just a rumor..since he was there all during two a days and is still repping Qb as well as corner. I have heard many ppl on the offensive side of the ball tell me that billy has the number two spot due to his arm and ability to scramble (just like Brad), Does anyone have Billy's 40 time... I am assuming that he runs somehting around a 4.65 or something crazy like that. He really is just an all around athlete

I have been fine with Morris' performance in the games so far. The only exception is that there were numerous opportunities on Saturday when he could have run the ball for a few first downs, but instead he held the ball and continued to look for the pass...only to either get sacked or throw the ball away out of bounds. Morris is also an inconsistant passer, but that can only be expected from any QB at the high school level.

I'm not sure replacing him at this point would be beneficial....I mean, c'mon....we beat St. Eds with him and almost beat Lakeland with him....he is good in my book.

Morris has never been a bad QB, even at Moeller he could always throw a good ball. His biggest problem is his composure after a mistake. Once he throws a pick, he is done IMO. After the second QTR INT he threw against Lakeland, I told the people next to me that he was done for the day... and until I left int he 3rd QTR, every throw was hurried and high... If he just learns to block the bad things out X will be tough to beat.

bomberfan55 said:
I don't think we should replace him but he needs to start playng better. Also the coaches shouldn't make him do as much.
Coaches shouldn't make him do as much???...explain please

I guess he means that they should have Darius run more then have Morris throw as much as he did last game and scramble in the pocket. IMO Ryan has done just fine and will only get better.

Morris did fine with "how much he did last game". This year, X has a very good receiving core and they play very consistently, so Morris making a few more passes isn't necessarily a bad thing. Plus, Specht said that the passing game, receiving in particular, was one of the best performances in the past 3 years at X. That speaks a lot for the receivers, but Morris also. I agree that Darius should get more carries though since he is a great threat in our run-oriented offense, but a few passes here and there doesn't hurt.

stxbomber43 said:
thats not exactly just a rumor..since he was there all during two a days and is still repping Qb as well as corner. I have heard many ppl on the offensive side of the ball tell me that billy has the number two spot due to his arm and ability to scramble (just like Brad), Does anyone have Billy's 40 time... I am assuming that he runs somehting around a 4.65 or something crazy like that. He really is just an all around athlete

I meant Howard Patton... :rolleyes: i was trying to get people to lighten up but people take me so seriously... geeze

Does anyone else get the feeling the coaches are limiting Darius' touches so he can be as fresh as possible for the playoffs?

5x10=50 less carries = about 2 games of carries. I think it is a great idea to limit his touches in the regular season, definately if we can continue to win. If he is as fresh as possible in the post season, that just makes this battle tested team that much stronger if he is not banged up.

Well the main reason here might simply be to teach the team not to depend too much on Darius, make them find alternative ways to get downfield so, in the event that Darius gets injured, the team isn't screwed. That may be one reason.