Lets! Go! Hurley!

This thread is now relevant after tonight's game. What are your thoughts should Hurley get the start against Glen Este?

Let's Go X said:
This thread is now relevant after tonight's game. What are your thoughts should Hurley get the start against Glen Este?

I don't understand....what is Specht thinking? It took him 11 weeks to make a decision...if he's even really made one yet... If a change at quarterback was needed, it should have been taken care of during the bye week...when we were coming off a really bad QB performance (all around) against LS. Hurley looked great tonight...but I'm not sure the play-offs are the best time to be messing around with the QB position. I dunno...I'm torn....I want someone who is comfortable with the game and Hurley looked more comfortable than Morris tonight. That being said...is Hurley gonna be consistent? I just have a hard time seeing how a team decides to make a QB change in the playoffs when they have won games all season with their original starter. Sure, Morris has not been flawless...but he's led the team to a 9-1 record into the playoffs.

I think that the same kind of game plan is needed for the GE game. Let Morris start (don't mess with the starter in the playoffs) and then bring Hurley in maybe late 2nd quater or the begining of the 2nd half. Then make a decision on the Colerain game from there. I'm not trying to overlook GE, but I view them as being a lot like LW. They may play well for a half, but will quickly fall away after that. But even when Hurley's in, still give it to Darius. As the saying goes, if it aint broke, don't fix it. Darius is getting better as the season goes on. Just keep feeding him and everything will be fine.

Hruley looked better in his first true amount of playing time than ryan morris has looked all year. hurley was 6-8 for 80 yards. ryan has never thrown for that many yards besides in the lakeland game. our team only had 10 points the first half, but when he played we rotated seniors and other backups and came up iwht 34 more points.

Start Hurley

B0MBER said:
I don't understand....what is Specht thinking? It took him 11 weeks to make a decision...if he's even really made one yet... If a change at quarterback was needed, it should have been taken care of during the bye week...when we were coming off a really bad QB performance (all around) against LS. Hurley looked great tonight...but I'm not sure the play-offs are the best time to be messing around with the QB position. I dunno...I'm torn....I want someone who is comfortable with the game and Hurley looked more comfortable than Morris tonight. That being said...is Hurley gonna be consistent? I just have a hard time seeing how a team decides to make a QB change in the playoffs when they have won games all season with their original starter. Sure, Morris has not been flawless...but he's led the team to a 9-1 record into the playoffs.

This is true. People were praising Rumpke after his brief preformance against Cov Cath and then he was a disappointment to say the least against La Salle. But, I just have a feeling that Hurley is more comfortable standing in the pocket and looking downfield than Morris even if it just was one game.

As far as Specht's decision for this coming Saturday, it's a toss up IMO at this point. He did not seem happy with Morris before the end of the first half, but then against he was sacked consecutively from the same blitz when I saw Specht talking to him.

hurley is so inconsistent just as billy and morris are.... he did play great tonight but its tough to just hand him the start especially when all of our quarterbacks are only average at best.... if we had a solid passing game or if we finally figure it out theres no doubt that we will be back to back state champs

(look how big of an X factor sherer was now that hes gone)

BigBody58 said:
Hruley looked better in his first true amount of playing time than ryan morris has looked all year. hurley was 6-8 for 80 yards. ryan has never thrown for that many yards besides in the lakeland game. our team only had 10 points the first half, but when he played we rotated seniors and other backups and came up iwht 34 more points.

Start Hurley

True....but X has had numerous games this year that have been close in the first half and then ended up being blow-outs in the second...and Morris played in all of those games.

You have to start Hurley this week. Let's be honest, we're going to beat GE by 3 td's no matter who we play, so we might as well give Hurley some confidence and not make his start against Colerain his very first.

i really don't understand the change this late...i mean if this had happened at any point during the regular season i'd be fine with it, but messing with your starting line-up especially your QB in the play-offs? i've never heard of that

reXkwondo12 said:
You have to start Hurley this week. Let's be honest, we're going to beat GE by 3 td's no matter who we play, so we might as well give Hurley some confidence and not make his start against Colerain his very first.

And what if Hurley completely sucks against GE? Do you then go back to Morris, whose confidence has just been completely killed by his coaches, the following week? This is going to be a very difficult decision... I liked what Hurley brought to the game, but this should have been dealt with much earlier in the season. If we lose in the playoffs and it is obviously the result of poor QB performance (by either Morris or Hurley), there is only one person to blame: Specht.

I hate to say it, but Specht has not handled this QB situation well this season. Every fan could see from the first few games that Morris wasn't spectacular. I supported him through the season because I trusted Specht's judgment. After the LaSalle game, I felt like if something needed to change, the bye week was the time to do it. Well, as we all know, nothing changed. We are now in the playoffs and are thinking about starting a junior QB who has no starting experience on the varsity level. Luckily we have Darius, so maybe the QB controversy is immaterial.

Are you guys kidding me?? How could you possibly dream of starting Morris next week? He might be the worst starting QB to ever suit up for St. X. He has completed about 5 passes in the last 3 weeks, including a whopping 0 last night. IMO starting Morris is out of the question. He brings nothing to the table and the reason he got benched is because the next QB couldn't have played worse.

BOMBER you are retarded. Specht is one of the greatest coaches around. We all know it. First of all, even though Specht is the head coach, he is not the QB offensive coordinator. Heisman deals with a huge majority of the offense. Although he is the head coach, to start a QB is mostly Heisman's call.

Hurley is going to progress through out the rest of the year whether its playoffs or not. He stnad with more confidence in the pocket then morris and showed last night he could play. It comes down to practice this week. If Morris plays well and picks himself back up to have one of his best weeks of practice, then start him. But there is no doubt in my mind that Hurley is right behind him. If Hurley shows he wants it more and can play like he did last night, then i can put my trust in him.

Let Hurley start. Ryan is a good kid but he has been given every opportunity to take his game to the next level and IMO hasn't. Let Jon continue to grow in confidence...he has been waiting for a chance to show he is capable. With the strength of our running game, it should give Jon the opportunity to continue to get even more comfortable. Let him get more experience....even though he was the qb frosh and jv, varsity is very different. Billy had a good game in his short appearance vs Cov Cath and then 2 weeks later Morris gets a concussion and he is put in with that limited experience as qb and expected to win the game. Granted Jon has 2 more years Experience than Billy at qb but don't do that to him. Let him go into the game as the starter...he at least deserves that chance!! Just my opinion. Looking to next year...Jon willl be the qb and Billy will get to go back to defense as it probably should have been anyway.

You can't start Morris. He has had 10 opportunities and has blown 9 of them (Lakeland being an exception even though throwing a bad OT pass). Hurley got his opportunity and took the most of it. He's mobile and he's calm in the pocket.

Morris has done terrible and only gets sacked because he takes too long to make a decision.

Start Morris and you know what you will get. Start Hurley and there's hope for a passing game like last night.

Give the junior a chance. Last night was his 1st chance against what many believed to be a solid LW D and he performed well. I think even if Hurley has a bad game next week, we still walk through GE by a few TDs. Give him that experience, because we cant be one dimensional against the Cards. Their weakness is pass D.

what i don't get even more is the obvious lack of trust our coaches have in morris-we've all seen and pretty much agree that morris is mediocre at best, the scary thing is i think the coaches realize that also, we rarely pass with him-i saw hurley pass more last night in one game than morris has thrown all season

eastsidebomber said:
what i don't get even more is the obvious lack of trust our coaches have in morris-we've all seen and pretty much agree that morris is mediocre at best, the scary thing is i think the coaches realize that also, we rarely pass with him-i saw hurley pass more last night in one game than morris has thrown all season

I agree, I don't think you can put a quarterback behind center that you clearly have no trust in whatsoever. The Moeller game is clear evidence of this, where we had a couple third and long's (around 15 yards) and both times we just handed it off to Darius up the middle for a couple yard gain. If you don't trust Ryan enough to call a pass play in a situation like that, you can't start him. Whether or not Hurley is better than Ryan, the offense clicked with him and I think you have to give him the nod this week unless Ryan performed much, much better than him in practice this week.

shakeandbake said:
You can't start Morris. He has had 10 opportunities and has blown 9 of them (Lakeland being an exception even though throwing a bad OT pass). Hurley got his opportunity and took the most of it. He's mobile and he's calm in the pocket.

Morris has done terrible and only gets sacked because he takes too long to make a decision.

Start Morris and you know what you will get. Start Hurley and there's hope for a passing game like last night.

I read it the exact opposite way. Morris went 8-1 in the regular season. We were able to win games in the regular season with him in at QB, why change it? (of course that is simplifiying the issue, but something to think about)

CCrunner87 said:
I read it the exact opposite way. Morris went 8-1 in the regular season. We were able to win games in the regular season with him in at QB, why change it? (of course that is simplifiying the issue, but something to think about)

Because we are about to face some really stiff competition are who very capable at shutting down our running game. Do you really want to rely on Morris in those situations? We went 8-1 by rushing attacks. Anyways, if there is someone better at QB, why not change? Colerains pass D is weak, and their running D is killer. Gameplan must change.

shakeandbake said:
Because we are about to face some really stiff competition are who very capable at shutting down our running game. Do you really want to rely on Morris in those situations? We went 8-1 by rushing attacks. Anyways, if there is someone better at QB, why not change? Colerains pass D is weak, and their running D is killer. Gameplan must change.

(again, playing devils advocate)

If we knew for a fact Hurley was better, then theres no doubt he should be started. But did he just have a good game, or is he actually better? The cost of finding out he was just having a good game could be the end to the team's season. Also keep in mind that I don't think that the difficulty of our oponents really goes up in the playoffs. We already beat St. Eds who many pick to win the state title.

StxFootball said:
BOMBER you are retarded. Specht is one of the greatest coaches around. We all know it. First of all, even though Specht is the head coach, he is not the QB offensive coordinator. Heisman deals with a huge majority of the offense. Although he is the head coach, to start a QB is mostly Heisman's call.

Slow down there junior....no one said Specht wasn't a great coach. That doesn't mean, however, that he is infallible. Specht is the HEAD COACH....the O coordinator may have alot of influence on who starts, but it all comes down to the HEAD COACH. If Specht feels as though a change in QB is needed...he goes over to the O coordinator and makes it happen. What is the point of a head coach if he doesn't have the authority to do so? If Hurley starts from here on out...and we lose b/c of it....it's all on Specht....no one will be blaming the O coordinator b/c the final decision is Specht's to make.

So, before you start calling people "retarded"...learn to look at an issue from all angles.....

I never said Hurley should not get the start.....I'm just not so sure he should based on his performance in 1/2 of a game. Morris hasn't looked great, but we have won some tough games with him.

CCrunner87 said:
If we knew for a fact Hurley was better, then theres no doubt he should be started. But did he just have a good game, or is he actually better? The cost of finding out he was just having a good game could be the end to the team's season.

This is exactly my point....I'm glad someone agrees with me.

Everyone who says "Hurley is the guy" and "Morris is garbage", etc...just needs to take a step back and look at the whole picture.

well, i've said hurley was the best QB on the team since day 1. nothing i have seen as changed my mind. whether hurley starts or not is up in the air, but hurley is a better QB than ryan morris, and no amount of "well look at the games we won with morris" is gonna change my mind. Hurley is the man. The doubters will get to see next season just how good he really is...mark it down.

D-Swizzel102 said:
well, i've said hurley was the best QB on the team since day 1. nothing i have seen as changed my mind. whether hurley starts or not is up in the air, but hurley is a better QB than ryan morris, and no amount of "well look at the games we won with morris" is gonna change my mind. Hurley is the man. The doubters will get to see next season just how good he really is...mark it down.

What makes you think he is the best guy? I don't think he has played enough for us to know that. We know what we get with Morris (even if we dont always love it), but when you get down to it I dont think we exactly know what we get with Hurley. Even if he is more talented, we don't know how he'll preform when under pressure, and he has less epxerience.

One part of me hopes that Hurley gets the start because he sounds like the more talented QB, but another part of me tells me that its not worth the risk.

Another question, what is Hurley like off thet field? I don't need to know grade or if someone thinks he's a punk or not, but how does he compare to Morris as a leader? Someone on here posted about a pre-moeller game speach Morris gave that could have gotten anyone ready to go out there and play hard for him.

WHY ARE WE EVEN DISCUSSING THIS? Hurley is better than Morris. Enough said. Have you guys seen any games this year? How can you ask if Hurley is better than Morris? Unless you're talking about Rumpke against LaSalle I don't think its possible to play worse than Morris has in the past few weeks.

Hurley may be unproven, but the only thing that Morris has proven is that he's not any good.

bomberfan55 said:
WHY ARE WE EVEN DISCUSSING THIS? Hurley is better than Morris. Enough said. Have you guys seen any games this year? How can you ask if Hurley is better than Morris? Unless you're talking about Rumpke against LaSalle I don't think its possible to play worse than Morris has in the past few weeks.

Hurley may be unproven, but the only thing that Morris has proven is that he's not any good.

This is very biased, but I agree to a certain extent.

I've watched Hurley throw the ball and he has more talent than Rumpke and Morris put together. The only reason he didn't start the entire season was because of his bad decision making and lack of work ethic. It's crunch time, and Specht needs to play the best players to win another state championship. As long as Hurley plays his game and doesn't try to do things himself (think freshman year against Elder), X has a much better chance at what we're trying to achieve: back to back championships.

CCrunner87 said:
What makes you think he is the best guy? I don't think he has played enough for us to know that. We know what we get with Morris (even if we dont always love it), but when you get down to it I dont think we exactly know what we get with Hurley. Even if he is more talented, we don't know how he'll preform when under pressure, and he has less epxerience.

One part of me hopes that Hurley gets the start because he sounds like the more talented QB, but another part of me tells me that its not worth the risk.

Another question, what is Hurley like off thet field? I don't need to know grade or if someone thinks he's a punk or not, but how does he compare to Morris as a leader? Someone on here posted about a pre-moeller game speach Morris gave that could have gotten anyone ready to go out there and play hard for him.

watching him play frosh year and soph year, even tho he was injured frequently, shows me how talented he is. morris is no where close talent-wise to hurley. hurley is a good QB. period. I thought he should have been a starter at the beginning of the season because I think he can be a very good player. he's got the talent, he just hasn't gotten a chance yet. now his chance. there's no way he'll let it slip away. mark it down.

CCrunner87 said:
(again, playing devils advocate)

If we knew for a fact Hurley was better, then theres no doubt he should be started. But did he just have a good game, or is he actually better? The cost of finding out he was just having a good game could be the end to the team's season. Also keep in mind that I don't think that the difficulty of our oponents really goes up in the playoffs. We already beat St. Eds who many pick to win the state title.

You're right, ideology-wise, but when you're dealing with Morris, who has been playing as bad as you can get, then it's worth trying Hurley.

If you start Morris you're basically guaranteeing lack of passing, sacks as a result of lack of passing, which equals less yards, which equals worse field position. Also, lack of scrambling speed which eliminates alot of plays that saved X last year.

If you start Hurley, you have a shot of having a passing game. If he sucks, then he would be as bad as Morris and X is still in the same shoes as before. But if Hurley blossoms, question answered.

It's worth the gamble.