Lets! Go! Hurley!

Scoop10 said:
If Morris would have played the same way as Hurley today w/ the same stats would you have been supportive of him or been saying that we need to change qbs? Every qb has looked good in some games and not so good other games. Just be fair in your criticism. How could anyone know how well Ryan would or wouldn't have done today? I thnk we should just be supportive of whoever is playing qb. GO BOMBERS!

Disagreed. That's why one needs to watch the game rather than look at stats to compare.

Glen Este put tons of pressure on X today because the O-line didn't do well. With Hurley's mobility he was able to avoid some of those and rip out throws. The problem was that he overthrew on deep routes.

I support him more than Morris because like I said before - decisiveness. Morris gets sacked constantly and it looks bad on paper for our O-line, when in reality he just never makes a decision. He also throws alot of floaters (which lost us at Lakeland for an INT). Sometimes Morris is too desperate and just throws balls up in the air (remember Moeller? If it wasn't for Balls athleticism it would have been the worst looking INT ever thrown).

I support whoever is X's QB. However, I will bump heads when one tries to justify Morris over Hurley. I firmly believe that one is heads above the other overall, that's all.

To answer your question, it depends on how Morris achieved those stats if he threw the same way as Hurley. If he threw exactly like Hurley I would praise Morris for being more aggressive and keeping Glen Este on their feet and remind them that they need to pass defense and not focus on Darius.

Hurley really is a great quarterback..his problem today is that he was trying to be brad scherer...hurley is a pocket passer and the Offensive cordinator can't change that about him...almost every pass that hurley threw he was being drivin out of the pocket by rushers or it was a designed roll out...correct me if i am wrong...but last week i don't think hurley left the pocket much at all and that made the difference

yeah but the thing is are plays are designed that way and he works on them all week. He can hit those and he does in practice. I think he just had some gitters cause if you notice, all his balls were a little high or a little long..not thrown out of bounds or held onto for a sack. The offensive coordinator really was not disappointed in hurley, he'll be starting again next week.

hurley wasnt nervous or scared at all. he had a problem with the way he was throwing. the line did the worst theyve done all year, so hurley was rushed to throw. because he was rushed he had to throw off his back foot instead of stepping into his throw. any quarterback knows that will make your ball sail high. for his first start, he did amazing

shakeandbake said:
Disagreed. That's why one needs to watch the game rather than look at stats to compare.

Glen Este put tons of pressure on X today because the O-line didn't do well. With Hurley's mobility he was able to avoid some of those and rip out throws. The problem was that he overthrew on deep routes.

I support him more than Morris because like I said before - decisiveness. Morris gets sacked constantly and it looks bad on paper for our O-line, when in reality he just never makes a decision. He also throws alot of floaters (which lost us at Lakeland for an INT). Sometimes Morris is too desperate and just throws balls up in the air (remember Moeller? If it wasn't for Balls athleticism it would have been the worst looking INT ever thrown).

I support whoever is X's QB. However, I will bump heads when one tries to justify Morris over Hurley. I firmly believe that one is heads above the other overall, that's all.

To answer your question, it depends on how Morris achieved those stats if he threw the same way as Hurley. If he threw exactly like Hurley I would praise Morris for being more aggressive and keeping Glen Este on their feet and remind them that they need to pass defense and not focus on Darius.
Not saying Hurley shouldn't continue to start, I'm just saying that people got on Morris' case for some of the same things Jon did today. I think that Jon can be a better qb than Morris, but his performance today was not great. That is not to say that the next game he won't do better especially if our running game does better. He was not rushed on alot of the incomplete passes, but I think his decision making will get better with each game. I just think that people are forgetting that Morris did have some very good games and was the starter for the entire regular season. I'm not a Morris fan by any means I just think that you need to be more objective in your analysis of the qb play. I did watch the game and I know that stats don't always tell the story...I was using the completion % of today's game as an example of what people have brought up in previous games about the reason to change qbs. Just trying to fair

I thought Hurley showed some potential today. He overthrew a lot of passes, but A) better overthrow than underthrow, and B) it seemed like he was finding the right people to throw to, even if he wasn't hitting them.

BigBody58 said:
hurley wasnt nervous or scared at all. he had a problem with the way he was throwing. the line did the worst theyve done all year, so hurley was rushed to throw. because he was rushed he had to throw off his back foot instead of stepping into his throw. any quarterback knows that will make your ball sail high. for his first start, he did amazing
uhh amazing?!?!?!?!?....6 of 17 passing for 58 yards...i was actually very impressed with his abilitly to scramble which was showcased today as a resuly of the lines inability to block (hurley was only sacked twice)... every ball that was overthrown was thrown while he was on the move... do they practice many scramble passes in practice (doesn't look like it)... anyways for first starting varsity game, good game but definately not amazing
Key things he did well:1) scamble 2) find open receivers
what he didn't do well was plain out just hit his open receivers and again i blame this on him not having enough practice throwing on the move, however he is most definately a pocket passer

he did fine for his first start. he'll start next week. the line needs to block 10 times better in order to give him time against colerain, and our running attack needs to find return to its old ways. you gotta be able to run the ball in order to pass the ball. we didn't run the ball well on saturday by any stretch of the imagination.

D-Swizzel102 said:
he did fine for his first start. he'll start next week. the line needs to block 10 times better in order to give him time against colerain, and our running attack needs to find return to its old ways. you gotta be able to run the ball in order to pass the ball. we didn't run the ball well on saturday by any stretch of the imagination.
You are right on with "we need to establish the run game before any passing game will work." I think that Glen Este's approach was that they would key in on the run and make us complete the passes. That is what we didn't execute yesterday...so I'm guessing that Colerain will take the same approach until we do hurt them with the passing game. I did not however think that Jon was being rushed that much...I just think he was off on his throws. There were a few times when he was pressured, some of the rolling out was designed so he wasn't sitting in the pocket getting ready to be sacked. Just think that if our running game gets back on track which I'm sure it will then the passing game gets a whole lot easier. I'm sure they will continue to work with Hurley and his accuracy when rolling out of the pocket. Go Bombers!

a team's record doesn't not say everything about a quarterback T.X. ...you can have the worst quarterback in the world on the New Orlean saint's team and the team would still do good b/c of reggie bush...visa versa you can have the best quarterback and the team will do bad without a supporting cast

stxbomber43 said:
a team's record doesn't not say everything about a quarterback T.X. ...you can have the worst quarterback in the world on the New Orlean saint's team and the team would still do good b/c of reggie bush...visa versa you can have the best quarterback and the team will do bad without a supporting cast
Don't kid yourself...without a good QB, you cannot go 8-1 against what many called the toughest schedule in the nation.

stxbomber43 said:

You either have no idea what you are talking about, or have to be joking about the Saints. Bush isn't even the leading rusher on his TEAM but you say that they could be good without a good QB (but they do have a good QB, Brees is 6th in the NFL in QB rating).

A little off topic, but it gives you very little credibility imo. You can not have a successful offense without at least a decent QB who knows how to avoid turnovers, and run the offense. While Morris wasn't great, the only game you could say he "lost" for us (I use quotes because one player does not lose a game, the team does) was the Lakeland game (but even then one could argue that the play calling in OT was questionable).

P.S. - It seems like people forget how Morris played against St. Ed's. The kid dislocated his shoulder in the first play of the game and still hung in there, and converted a CRUCIAL 3rd and long on our last possession.

Last edited:
so you guys are going to tell me that drew brees is the reason the saints are so good?...thats obsurd...yea he's all right but he is not the kind of quarterback that would lead a team to a 6-3 season without his supporting cast (reggie bush and duece mccalliser) drew brees is still a par quarterback... and yes you can go 8-1 without a good quarterback when you have darius ashley, luca, berning, and receivers as well as a defense that will win you games when the offense can only put up a couple of touchdowns

how does the ball get to the recievers? how do u get those couple of touchdowns. with a QB. he doesn't have to be the #1 qb in the world but he can't be worthless to go 8-1 against pretty respectable opponents to say the least.

did i ever once say that he is worthless...did i?...and if so i will stop posting at this very moment...do not distort my words ...i have tremendous respect for morris and what he has done this year...never once did i say anything bad about morris... my point is that i would still stick with hurley as he is the better quarterback i think that it is unfortunate that morris led the team to an 8-1 season and he is no longer starting, but at the same time i think hurley is the better quarterback and that he should start
-i will retract part of that statement...earlier in the season i was all over morris' --- ...but as of post the lakeland loss...i have kept my mouth shut

This is seriously off topic but last time I checked Reggie Bush was averaging 2.6 yards a carry. Drew Brees has a 66% completion rate and a 95+ passer rating. Who carries the team?

stxbomber43 said:
so you guys are going to tell me that drew brees is the reason the saints are so good?...thats obsurd...yea he's all right but he is not the kind of quarterback that would lead a team to a 6-3 season without his supporting cast (reggie bush and duece mccalliser) drew brees is still a par quarterback... and yes you can go 8-1 without a good quarterback when you have darius ashley, luca, berning, and receivers as well as a defense that will win you games when the offense can only put up a couple of touchdowns

again, off topic, but ill tell you striaght up that drew brees is one of the main reasons that the saints are doing good, and reggie bush does not have that much to do with it. brees is a good quarterback, one of the better in the league. this has nothing to do with the topic but it does make me question your credibility

patiscool1 said:
This is seriously off topic but last time I checked Reggie Bush was averaging 2.6 yards a carry. Drew Brees has a 66% completion rate and a 95+ passer rating. Who carries the team?

haha, thats what I was wondering. I don't understand being 6th in the NFL in QB rating makes him "par."

ok lol i will be a man and admit that my example sucked complete balls...but i will still stand by my point that morris leading the team to an 8-1 season means something but not that he is better than hurley as T.X. insinuated

lol and again i will reiterate i had no idea what i was talking about with the drew brees thing lol... ----ty point made by me

Apology accepted. I still think people are too critical of Morris though, he got visibly better every game and he was doing fairly well up until the lakota west game. Hurley offers a little more mobility, but Morris was decently mobile when he decided to scramble, he just waited a little too long. Hurley overthrows recievers just as much as Morris did. They're pretty comparable, if I had to choose I would say Hurley is a little better, however Morris has more game experience.

true morris has more game experience but...at the lakota west game hurley wasn't over throwing receivers...at the glen este game he was...the difference was he had to scramble almost every time he dropped back to pass imo once hurley settles in the pocket and the line does what it had been doing most of the year hurley will be a very good quarterback... i gave morris 10 weeks to settle in the pocket and i will give hurley two...if hurley has a another game of scrambles and overthrows then i saw put morris back at the helm (provided a hurley bad game doesn't result in a loss)

stxbomber43 said:
every ball that was overthrown was thrown while he was on the move... do they practice many scramble passes in practice (doesn't look like it)... anyways for first starting varsity game, good game but definately not amazing
He had Tyler Gagnon on a skinny post not once but TWICE and threw it over his head both times. Probably two TDs missed there. In both cases Hurley stood in the pocket with little alligator arms like this and short-armed it and the ball sailed. I mean, that's a relatively easy throw, compared to say a deep out.

Maybe it was too much pressure for the guy, not much experience, playoff game at Nippert, etc.

He better get his head squared away because I've seen Colerain and they're no Glen Este.