I Don’t Get It…

I am FAR from that. I may eat 3-4 hot dogs ANNUALLY!
I tried to read this without my glasses. I totally misread ANNUALLY
Embarrassed Nancy GIF by Hollyoaks

I don't get how power companies work. Four days in a roll I've seen the power company "working" on utility poles. All four times there has been 3 pickups and a bucket truck onsite. What I have seen is one guy in the bucket working on the utility pole, one guy on the ground watching the guy in the bucket work, and four guys and a gal either sitting in the pickup trucks if it is cold outside, or all of them standing around talking and playing graba** if it is nice outside. One day one of the guys and the gal were sitting in a pickup making out. What are they being paid to do? Better yet, where do you apply for one of these jobs? I doubt I could do the man in the bucket job, but apparently I am qualified for everything else.

I don't get how power companies work. Four days in a roll I've seen the power company "working" on utility poles. All four times there has been 3 pickups and a bucket truck onsite. What I have seen is one guy in the bucket working on the utility pole, one guy on the ground watching the guy in the bucket work, and four guys and a gal either sitting in the pickup trucks if it is cold outside, or all of them standing around talking and playing graba** if it is nice outside. One day one of the guys and the gal were sitting in a pickup making out. What are they being paid to do? Better yet, where do you apply for one of these jobs? I doubt I could do the man in the bucket job, but apparently I am qualified for everything else.
I have no expertise in this area, but since it's a day job, they are likley there for the entire day weather they have things to do or not. I'd guess they have to have a minimum of two for safety reasons. If they are running line, they need multiple people for the two ends plus someone in the bucket and if they have to direct traffic, they need people to do that. Tough part for these folks, especially the line workers is they can get called out at any hour for outages, depending on the crisis, they may have to drive hours and hours away in a natural disaster. My guess is alot of these folks were all over the midwest last week with the storm outages.

Pro/ college athletes who use the Jr. or second or third.

There does not need to be this extra name UNLESS your father is on a current roster. For instance, this all started with Ken Griffey and Ken Griffey, Jr. There needed to be that because they were on the same team. Once Griffey, Sr. retired, it needed to be dropped. Robert Griffin was the only football player named Robert Griffin when he was playing. Didn't the III. I think it's become a branding mechanism for players.

There does not need to be this extra name UNLESS your father is on a current roster. For instance, this all started with Ken Griffey and Ken Griffey, Jr. There needed to be that because they were on the same team. Once Griffey, Sr. retired, it needed to be dropped. Robert Griffin was the only football player named Robert Griffin when he was playing. Didn't the III. I think it's become a branding mechanism for players.
Cal Ripken on line 1...Not sure if it's Cal Sr. or Cal Jr. though.

I believe that was his given name. Not the same.
Just an observation. Not an attempt to equate the two. I think it's okay to brand yourself if you choose. An NFL career is often very short, so, get it while you can.

Its their name. This is only an issue if someone comes in and adds Jr or III or CVIII or whatever to their name without it actually being part of their name.

Its their name. This is only an issue if someone comes in and adds Jr or III or CVIII or whatever to their name without it actually being part of their name.
It's their given name, but for identification purposes for sporting events, we do not need to use formal given names. And now we're in an era of hyphenated names because mom and dad have different names. Becoming more difficult for broadcasters to give the live action because names keep getting longer.
And I still feel it's got a branding component to it.

It's their given name, but for identification purposes for sporting events, we do not need to use formal given names. And now we're in an era of hyphenated names because mom and dad have different names. Becoming more difficult for broadcasters to give the live action because names keep getting longer.
And I still feel it's got a branding component to it.
Then tell announcers to drop the Jr, Sr, III, etc unless absolutely necessary. But keep their name on the jersey. Or we can just remove names and refer to players by number only.

Imagine being a Columbia student who was graduating this year. Graduation cancelled because of a bunch of nut jobs. Actually, only a small portion are even Columbia students, most are not even affiliated with the school??? How crappy is that?

Imagine being a Columbia student who was graduating this year. Graduation cancelled because of a bunch of nut jobs. Actually, only a small portion are even Columbia students, most are not even affiliated with the school??? How crappy is that?
Many of them didn't have a graduation event from High School.

So many of them were sold on the false idea that vaping is harmless and "cool." I tend to see it as a sign of ignorance myself.
I guess the flavors factor in, too. Cold metal seems even worse than cig paper.

Reactions: SLS
So many of them were sold on the false idea that vaping is harmless and "cool." I tend to see it as a sign of ignorance myself.
I've often said there are 15-20% of young people who will do exactly the opposite of what you tell them to do. I grew up in the 70's and 80's. The message was then, as it is now, smoking is bad for you, don't do it. Drugs are bad don't do it. Yet here we are.

The high the engine compression is the higher the octane gas is needed. In a high compression engine using low octane gas will produce knock which will lead to engine damage. Makes no difference as far as gas mileage. If low octane works using high octane is just a waste money.
The other thing is that pretty much every new car is so overly complex with sensors and minute adjustments to mixture, throttle response, etc... that the vehicle will prevent knock simply by reducing the output of the engine so that knock is averted. For the high end cars, you just simply lose some of the power that they advertise but you don't hurt the engine as you did in the pre-computer cars of yore.

And for cars that DON'T need high octane fuel, you're just spending extra money for nothing. What's troublesome is most new cars 'recommend' 89 octane usually but state in the manual they run on 87 and too many go nuts thinking they HAVE to run high octane fuel. What they're saying is that 158hp output on your VW Jetta might not hit 158hp unless you use 89 (or 91 or 93 or whatever grade) but the engine will still function and still work.

Plus, since people don't see to understand cars, a clogged air filter can do more harm to your engine and its performance than lower octane fuel can. In the rocky mountain states, you regularly see 86 or even 85 octane fuel sold that works fine in your car because the air is less dense. Now if you bought 85 octane in Aspen and had your vehicle shipped to San Diego, you might notice a sluggishness when you drive it. But it will drive, and it won't knock. Because new cars are just that good at it.
But going back to the air-filter issue. If your car isn't getting the right air flow, your car's ECM will derate their power output of the engine via reducing fuel consumption. Because the air/fuel mixture won't be at the right rate otherwise. But all you'll notice is weaker performance and you remedy that by just hitting the throttle harder. Wearing the engine harder but it will still move.

Sleep.

The world go on as normal while we sleep - or, does it??? We sleep when we are either physically or mentally exhausted, but why do we sleep?

Well, we now know that the brain and the body repair themselves during sleep. Can that happen only when we are essentially shut down? Seems so.

The aforementioned brain: We know - or think we do - different areas of the brain control various human functions. Yet, just how does the brain work?

Last I read, scientists still do not know how that largely fat blob works. Yapsters?
The brain is attempting to understand itself.

As for some questions, there's some ideas on how it came to be, but who knows:

sleep - Photosynthesis requires sunlight. No sun, no photosynthesis. Plant life/cell life based on photosynthesis goes dormant. So, it uses those reserves while dormant for repair and daytime just producing more energy for night time. Non-plant life evolves the same way, using stored (fat cells or stomach contents) to repair itself while dormant and using daytime to complete tasks needed for survival. Billions of years later, we're still slaves to that day/night cycle.

How the brain works - We know the basic functions and where in the brain different things happen. But why/how they happen and happen there, are a lot of guesswork. We do know from looking at other animals brains the differences in humans. Such as the prefrontal cortex. That's where "you" exist. The rest of the brain is mostly upkeep, memory storage, and tending to bodily processes.

What's really trippy is when you get to things like breathing. We can control our breathing. But we can stop controlling it at any time and our primitive parts just take over control seamlessly. Same with blinking. We can override blinking, but when we stop controlling it the brain just does it for us behind the scenes.

Also, our brain is really good at sensory input corrections. What I mean by that is that there's a blank spot dead center of your vision in each eye. You 'see' not by looking straight at something, but by looking slightly off center from something. There are no photo receptors in the back of your eye. That's where the optic nerve leaves your eye. You can prove it by looking at this:

Basically, your brain fills in the gaps. Also, your brain is great at pattern recognition. it's one thing that kept us protected from predators. All mammals really but our larger brains got really good at it. Ever look at a blinking light? Ever see the 'first blink' take longer than the second and ensuing blinks? It's because your brain literally blocked that from your visual recognition so you could see what's there. It isn't until it realizes it's a pattern (second blink) that you start seeing the very consistent blinking pattern. You can test this with any blinking light (such as the : in a clock, a flashing light on a road, sign, billboard, etc). There's more to your brain than what your eyes yourself 'see'. It fixes things.

The whole blue/white dress thing was another. Your brain 'creates' colors where there isn't based on its expectations compared to what's around it. Look at this image:

57b854759fc25f8f5d6fa6b2a3caa6e2dd-28-no-red-photo.rhorizontal.w700.jpg

There's not a single red pixel on this image. But that 'blue haze' over the image is immediately recognized and corrected for.

There's even more. Though the prefrontal cortex is most 'modern' part of your brain, vision is handed by the occipital lobe in the cerebral cortex, the older part of the brain structure. It's clunky. It's also more 'image processor' than 'actively understanding what you're seeing'. You have other parts of your brain that actively deceives you so that you will react. Magicians and illusionists use these to fool you, too.

One is 'deja vu' and 'phantom images'. Ever glance at something and see something that absolutely isn't there but you see it and you look again? Like a spider, or a person, or an animal, or eyes, or something... It's a more primitive part of your brain that is very much more 'skittish' about your surroundings that 'interjects' that into your processing of your vision. When you're scared, it's just working a lot harder to tell the more relaxed 'modern' part of the brain. Most of your brain is just on auto-pilot. Doing the same things its done since near when you were born. It does them whether you want them to or not. it's how you survive despite yourself actively doing harm or risking your life overriding them.

One of the reasons why we may engage in thrill seeking and do things like gamble or eat spicy foods, is because we are trying to experience what was regularly a part of our lives millennia ago: the risk of death. It's a part of us. Every day as a very smart, but ultimately naturally defenseless prey, we had to be on our toes. Today, we don't. But our brains still act like we are. Those 'sixth senses' we have didn't just go way because the only predators we encounter are tamed wild animals we take for walks. We still have them. And is constantly warding off harm from things that aren't really a risk. But unlike hundreds of thousands of years ago, 'advanced mammals' lived just on the instincts in the more primitive parts of the brain. And sometimes it take s a bit of a jolt to get the newer, tamer, and more nuanced sections of the brain to pay attention to the 'impending doom' the primitive parts are certain is there.

The amygdala handles emotions. Especially anger. It's in the temporal lobe which processes input from your senses, including vision. When you get incredibly angry, some people 'see red'. As in, their visual processing entirely turns off to the rest of the brain. Not that you can't see. But the parts that 'remember' and process memories, doesn't get the data. The only thing getting through is 'red'. The primitive part took over. Your vision still worked fine. And the temporal lobe still worked fine, so that you can proceed with whatever melee you're now involved in.

So, whether it's strawberries or adversaries... you can see red whether it's there or not.

The brain is attempting to understand itself.

As for some questions, there's some ideas on how it came to be, but who knows:

sleep - Photosynthesis requires sunlight. No sun, no photosynthesis. Plant life/cell life based on photosynthesis goes dormant. So, it uses those reserves while dormant for repair and daytime just producing more energy for night time. Non-plant life evolves the same way, using stored (fat cells or stomach contents) to repair itself while dormant and using daytime to complete tasks needed for survival. Billions of years later, we're still slaves to that day/night cycle.

How the brain works - We know the basic functions and where in the brain different things happen. But why/how they happen and happen there, are a lot of guesswork. We do know from looking at other animals brains the differences in humans. Such as the prefrontal cortex. That's where "you" exist. The rest of the brain is mostly upkeep, memory storage, and tending to bodily processes.

What's really trippy is when you get to things like breathing. We can control our breathing. But we can stop controlling it at any time and our primitive parts just take over control seamlessly. Same with blinking. We can override blinking, but when we stop controlling it the brain just does it for us behind the scenes.

Also, our brain is really good at sensory input corrections. What I mean by that is that there's a blank spot dead center of your vision in each eye. You 'see' not by looking straight at something, but by looking slightly off center from something. There are no photo receptors in the back of your eye. That's where the optic nerve leaves your eye. You can prove it by looking at this:

Basically, your brain fills in the gaps. Also, your brain is great at pattern recognition. it's one thing that kept us protected from predators. All mammals really but our larger brains got really good at it. Ever look at a blinking light? Ever see the 'first blink' take longer than the second and ensuing blinks? It's because your brain literally blocked that from your visual recognition so you could see what's there. It isn't until it realizes it's a pattern (second blink) that you start seeing the very consistent blinking pattern. You can test this with any blinking light (such as the : in a clock, a flashing light on a road, sign, billboard, etc). There's more to your brain than what your eyes yourself 'see'. It fixes things.

The whole blue/white dress thing was another. Your brain 'creates' colors where there isn't based on its expectations compared to what's around it. Look at this image:

57b854759fc25f8f5d6fa6b2a3caa6e2dd-28-no-red-photo.rhorizontal.w700.jpg

There's not a single red pixel on this image. But that 'blue haze' over the image is immediately recognized and corrected for.

There's even more. Though the prefrontal cortex is most 'modern' part of your brain, vision is handed by the occipital lobe in the cerebral cortex, the older part of the brain structure. It's clunky. It's also more 'image processor' than 'actively understanding what you're seeing'. You have other parts of your brain that actively deceives you so that you will react. Magicians and illusionists use these to fool you, too.

One is 'deja vu' and 'phantom images'. Ever glance at something and see something that absolutely isn't there but you see it and you look again? Like a spider, or a person, or an animal, or eyes, or something... It's a more primitive part of your brain that is very much more 'skittish' about your surroundings that 'interjects' that into your processing of your vision. When you're scared, it's just working a lot harder to tell the more relaxed 'modern' part of the brain. Most of your brain is just on auto-pilot. Doing the same things its done since near when you were born. It does them whether you want them to or not. it's how you survive despite yourself actively doing harm or risking your life overriding them.

One of the reasons why we may engage in thrill seeking and do things like gamble or eat spicy foods, is because we are trying to experience what was regularly a part of our lives millennia ago: the risk of death. It's a part of us. Every day as a very smart, but ultimately naturally defenseless prey, we had to be on our toes. Today, we don't. But our brains still act like we are. Those 'sixth senses' we have didn't just go way because the only predators we encounter are tamed wild animals we take for walks. We still have them. And is constantly warding off harm from things that aren't really a risk. But unlike hundreds of thousands of years ago, 'advanced mammals' lived just on the instincts in the more primitive parts of the brain. And sometimes it take s a bit of a jolt to get the newer, tamer, and more nuanced sections of the brain to pay attention to the 'impending doom' the primitive parts are certain is there.

The amygdala handles emotions. Especially anger. It's in the temporal lobe which processes input from your senses, including vision. When you get incredibly angry, some people 'see red'. As in, their visual processing entirely turns off to the rest of the brain. Not that you can't see. But the parts that 'remember' and process memories, doesn't get the data. The only thing getting through is 'red'. The primitive part took over. Your vision still worked fine. And the temporal lobe still worked fine, so that you can proceed with whatever melee you're now involved in.

So, whether it's strawberries or adversaries... you can see red whether it's there or not.