I Don’t Get It…

Sleep.

The world goes on as normal while we sleep - or, does it??? We sleep when we are either physically or mentally exhausted, but why do we sleep?

Well, we now know that the brain and the body repair themselves during sleep. Can that happen only when we are essentially shut down? Seems so.

The aforementioned brain: We know - or think we do - different areas of the brain control various human functions. Yet, just how does the brain work?

Last I read, scientists still do not know how that largely fat blob works. Yapsters?

Last edited:
I always wanted to know what Frosty looked like flaccid.
Something like this?

tmp_jILGB2_5a0a32e1260657cf_troubling-christmas-dead-frosty.jpg

Inflatable Christmas and Halloween lawn decorations. They're not cute. They're not creative. They scream laziness. They're loud. You have to constantly re-stake them into the ground. And if you want to turn them off, it looks like you have empty garbage bags all over your yard. Nice job. I always wanted to know what Frosty looked like flaccid.
In my line of work where I walk from house to house, those things are nothing but an additional tripping hazard from October through mid-January.

Or why Barack Hussein pronounces the P in Hospital Corpsmen.
Or why Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia pronounces the " c" in "indictable ( in-dick-table)." But then, this thread is not about politics.:)

Last edited:
Neck, fact tattoos. Look, I don't care if you get a tat, it's your business. But especially folks who are under 30 and may or may not have a career path mapped out. Why? You may get a great opportunity, you may be able to get into a certain field where neck and fact tats are still taboo. You seriously want to close that door now?

Neck, fact tattoos. Look, I don't care if you get a tat, it's your business. But especially folks who are under 30 and may or may not have a career path mapped out. Why? You may get a great opportunity, you may be able to get into a certain field where neck and fact tats are still taboo. You seriously want to close that door now?
I'm guessing "fact" is a typo and you mean "face".

Back in the day, tattoos were either on sailors or criminals, then the rock stars and athletes started making them more acceptable.

I've told this story before: my nephew was visiting from Texas and he said, "Uncle BlackHawk, I got a tattoo and I know you will like it." I said, "No I won't. I hate tattoos." He insisted that I would like it and I insisted I wouldn't. He then revealed a shoulder tattoo that memorialized his father (my older brother) that was killed a year earlier by a drunk driver. I almost cried. My young nephew taught me a lesson. Some tattoos are extremely personal. I said, "You're right. I like it."

I'm guessing "fact" is a typo and you mean "face".

Back in the day, tattoos were either on sailors or criminals, then the rock stars and athletes started making them more acceptable.

I've told this story before: my nephew was visiting from Texas and he said, "Uncle BlackHawk, I got a tattoo and I know you will like it." I said, "No I won't. I hate tattoos." He insisted that I would like it and I insisted I wouldn't. He then revealed a shoulder tattoo that memorialized his father (my older brother) that was killed a year earlier by a drunk driver. I almost cried. My young nephew taught me a lesson. Some tattoos are extremely personal. I said, "You're right. I like it."
yes, face tattoos. And a shoulder tat is much different than a face or neck tat.

not trying to be a smart a55 - just don't want to look it up ... but there should be another dimension here -- 1 k x 1 k x 1 k ? 1 k x 1 k is an area one more x 1 k makes it a volume ;)
Maybe that’s addressed in the phrase “average cumulus”, over the km sq area ?

I don't get how meteorologists on different channels in the same city can be looking at the exact same " Super Duper Doppler" ( the most advanced weather forecaster they tell us) and come up with completely different forecasts.

I don't get how meteorologists on different channels in the same city can be looking at the exact same " Super Duper Doppler" ( the most advanced weather forecaster they tell us) and come up with completely different forecasts.
Not only that, you have about 4-5 weather aps that the forecast is at your fingertips and yet many watch the TV weather continously??? Many times I feel we are victims of too much information.

Not only that, you have about 4-5 weather aps that the forecast is at your fingertips and yet many watch the TV weather continously??? Many times I feel we are victims of too much information.
At this point, I only watch TV weather if its already on and I happen to be in the room or during severe weather outbreaks.

At this point, I only watch TV weather if its already on and I happen to be in the room or during severe weather outbreaks.
I admit I was glued to the TV Thursday night when those twisters roared through Ohio. I was even texting my son because he pays little attention to the weather and I knew he was out and about that night. They caused some serious damage in various Ohio counties. Montgomery County, where I live, was spared.

I admit I was glued to the TV Thursday night when those twisters roared through Ohio. I was even texting my son because he pays little attention to the weather and I knew he was out and about that night. They caused some serious damage in various Ohio counties. Montgomery County, where I live, was spared.
I live in Clark County so we were spared this time. But my wife was on her way home from work so I was keeping her posted.

93 Octane gas. Does anybody buy the highest paying gas? Does it improve MPG? Or is it better for your engine?
Rare Olympic sports. Where does one train to luge? Has anybody heard the conversation " Lets go bobsledding this week" I love watching it. Just dont know how one becomes world championship level proficient. Lots of free time and money I suppose
The high the engine compression is the higher the octane gas is needed. In a high compression engine using low octane gas will produce knock which will lead to engine damage. Makes no difference as far as gas mileage. If low octane works using high octane is just a waste money.

I don't get.... the interest over Skyline / Gold Star Chili?? It's a flippin hot dog with chili on it and a pile of cheese, or a bowl of chili? What's the big deal?

I don't get.... the interest over Skyline / Gold Star Chili?? It's a flippin hot dog with chili on it and a pile of cheese, or a bowl of chili? What's the big deal?
Each of the chili parlor's chili has a district taste and mouth feel. IMO - Camp Washington Chili is "meatier" (mouth feel) than the others. I'd rank them as follows:
1. Camp Washington - meatier and good taste
2. Gold Star - less meaty and good taste
3. Skyline - just a sauce with good taste
4. Price Hill Chili - just a sauce with OK taste

I haven't any others in a long time.

To each his own ...

I don't understand why young writers and sports commentators cannot properly use the grammar they learned in second grade. Case in point:

The San Francisco 49ers have underwent several changes since their 2024 Super Bowl loss.

Each of the chili parlor's chili has a district taste and mouth feel. IMO - Camp Washington Chili is "meatier" (mouth feel) than the others. I'd rank them as follows:
1. Camp Washington - meatier and good taste
2. Gold Star - less meaty and good taste
3. Skyline - just a sauce with good taste
4. Price Hill Chili - just a sauce with OK taste

I haven't any others in a long time.

To each his own ...
I'll crown you the "Chilli Expert"!

There's a hot dog?

I've had Skyline and Gold Star. There was no hot dog.