I Don’t Get It…

cjb5656

What are some things you just don’t understand? Could be anything and I will concede some of it will be due to who you are (age, gender, location, etc).

Just a few from me to get it started.

I don’t get it…

Pete Davidson - Just don’t understand the popularity.

Post Malone - I tend to think it’s just because he’s white.

Airplane flight - I have an advanced degree and have taken a ton of advanced science and math classes, and I understand the physics involved…but I still am baffled a heavy-arse plane can get off the ground and fly - haha

Airplane flight - I have an advanced degree and have taken a ton of advanced science and math classes, and I understand the physics involved…but I still am baffled a heavy-arse plane can get off the ground and fly - haha
"an average 1 kilometer by 1 kilometer cumulus cloud weighs about 1.1 billion pounds."

That stuffs easy for me. Middle East? No Problem. Pete Davidson? Yeah, don't get it.

Last edited:
What are some things you just don’t understand? Could be anything and I will concede some of it will be due to who you are (age, gender, location, etc).

I don’t get it…

First guy...all I know of him is he was in Taco bell commercials. What else does he do?

Post Malone? No idea who that is.

Planes...same. I fly 3-4 times a year, and work by an airport and wonder that often.

First guy...all I know of him is he was in Taco bell commercials. What else does he do?

Post Malone? No idea who that is.

Planes...same. I fly 3-4 times a year, and work by an airport and wonder that often.
Pete Davidson started on Saturday Night Live. His dad was a firefighter who died on 9/11. A lot of Petes shtick is self deprecating humor about his dad and the manner he died. If it was any other person on the planet they would get death threats for what Pete says about it. But since its his own dad he gets a pass. ' If the son of a firefighter who died on 9/11 can make crude jokes, so be it' ( Is what im suspecting in the general consensus)

Post Malone is a rapper who has some hits. If that not you or your peer group genre then youve probably never heard of him. But hes popped in some mainstream commercials. Hes probably the most harmless looking face tatted guy Ive seen

Things I dont get.
Tik Tok.
93 Octane gas. Does anybody buy the highest paying gas? Does it improve MPG? Or is it better for your engine?
Rare Olympic sports. Where does one train to luge? Has anybody heard the conversation " Lets go bobsledding this week" I love watching it. Just dont know how one becomes world championship level proficient. Lots of free time and money I suppose

"an average 1 kilometer by 1 kilometer cumulus cloud weighs about 1.1 billion pounds."

That stuffs easy for me. Middle East? No Problem. Pete Davidson? Yeah, don't get it.
not trying to be a smart a55 - just don't want to look it up ... but there should be another dimension here -- 1 k x 1 k x 1 k ? 1 k x 1 k is an area one more x 1 k makes it a volume ;)

I don’t get it…

I designed jet engine parts for 35 years and to this day i'm still amazed that it all works to get the jet into the air.

Not a personal "I don't get it" but one from my father many years ago. He said emphatically, "I don't understand how anybody wants to get up at 4:30 a.m. the day after Thanksgiving, to rush to the stores when they open on Black Friday, fight the insane crowds and lines, and shop for ten hours. I don't know how they can stand it. I don't get it!" I muttered, "And those people are saying, 'I don't understand how someone can sit in a recliner and watch the Cincinnati Reds for three-plus hours, every single night! I don't know how they can stand it. I don't get it!' " But I don't think dad heard, because the Reds game was coming on.

Like the OP said age, gender, location, etc. shapes our "I don't get it!"

not trying to be a smart a55 - just don't want to look it up ... but there should be another dimension here -- 1 k x 1 k x 1 k ? 1 k x 1 k is an area one more x 1 k makes it a volume ;)
I noted that in my original post then deleted when I figured there's probably some definition of "cumulous" that accounts for it.

I designed jet engine parts for 35 years and to this day i'm still amazed that it all works to get the jet into the air.

GE? I once used their Cray to run some simulations. I spent a minute as an Aero Eng. Those parts you designed don't really do anything. They're just make-work for the job market. It's the magic carpets in the cargo hold... Things got tight around the time of the oil embargo, when the Persian Gulf countries were holding back and we had to use Yemeni and Nigerian knock-offs.

Last edited:
93 Octane gas. Does anybody buy the highest paying gas? Does it improve MPG? Or is it better for your engine?
My son's car is supposedly "tuned" so it only will handle 93 octane gas. I suppose it's one of those situations where if you risk putting lower octane into it and it screws up the engine, it's too late.

My Pete Davidson is Andy Samburg, I just do not get his one note act.

On the music side I don't get Beyonce. Had some solid hits but I am not so sure she is the person that is really behind the writing of those hits which is a big selling point of her story.

I also don't get Gen Xers. My fave is a niece who is all about climate change that turns around and is flying all over the country on vacations a couple times a month. She just posted a picture of her taking a ATV trip through Moab, I did this and those things spew more exhaust than anything I have been in.

I noted that in my original post then deleted when I figured there's probably some definition of "cumulus" that accounts for it.

GE? I once used their Cray to run some simulations. I spent a minute as an Aero Eng. Those parts you designed don't really do anything. They're just make-work for the job market. It's the magic carpets in the cargo hold... Things got tight around the time of the oil embargo, when the Persian Gulf countries were holding back and we had to use Yemeni and Nigerian knock-offs.
cumulus is just a type of cloud -- no specific "volume/dimension." 3 basic types are Cirrus, Stratus and Cumulus.
Yes, GE PDE designer.

On the music side I don't get Beyonce. Had some solid hits but I am not so sure she is the person that is really behind the writing of those hits which is a big selling point of her story.

I also don't get Gen Xers. My fave is a niece who is all about climate change that turns around and is flying all over the country on vacations a couple times a month. She just posted a picture of her taking a ATV trip through Moab, I did this and those things spew more exhaust than anything I have been in.
Hot Rod was funny but he wasn’t the main reason.

I don’t get cats. What’s their appeal? I’d rather have something weird like a ferret as a pet over a cat.

Then I should say I don’t get Pete D or Andy Samburg, either - haha

Also, I don’t get why Rashida Jones doesn’t ever just show up at my door and tell me she has always adored me? Haha. Sadly, I actually do know the answers to that and I get it.

I don’t get cats. What’s their appeal? I’d rather have something weird like a ferret as a pet over a cat.
Yeah. I’ve met a few cool cats in my time, but overall I don’t get it. They aren’t as loyal as a dog, offer no protection of home and family, sneak around, piss everywhere…but not noticeable like with a dog.

I don't get alot of things, but that's what makes the world go around. One for me is Will Ferrell. He's good in Elf, but little else and him doing interviews is a train wreck. He seems like a very salty, nasty person.

I don't get alot of decisions by ESPN. Mike Greenberg? Why? El Duncan? Most of the remaining anchors? I realize it's their wokeness of diversity, inclusion and equity but they've pretty much submarined their longstanding reputation as the worldwide leader in sports.

I don't get traveling. I mean it's nice to get away for a few days, I have zero desire to leave the US. Too many nut cases in other countries.

I don't get soccer. Good sport for little kids to play because they can do little else, but how can millions around the world like a sport that has so little offense.

Yeah. I’ve met a few cool cats in my time, but overall I don’t get it. They aren’t as loyal as a dog, offer no protection of home and family, sneak around, piss everywhere…but not noticeable like with a dog.
I’ve met like 1 friendly cat. My buddy had a tabby named Ozzy (his last name is Osborne). He would come up to people like a dog and ask to be pet. Every other cat I’ve encountered will scurry away. Who wants a pet that doesn’t even like you?

I don’t get anime. I liked the cyberpunk series on NFLX, but that’s bc I had played the video game. In general, not a fan.

I don't get alot of things, but that's what makes the world go around. One for me is Will Ferrell. He's good in Elf, but little else and him doing interviews is a train wreck. He seems like a very salty, nasty person.

I don't get alot of decisions by ESPN. Mike Greenberg? Why? El Duncan? Most of the remaining anchors? I realize it's their wokeness of diversity, inclusion and equity but they've pretty much submarined their longstanding reputation as the worldwide leader in sports.

I don't get traveling. I mean it's nice to get away for a few days, I have zero desire to leave the US. Too many nut cases in other countries.

I don't get soccer. Good sport for little kids to play because they can do little else, but how can millions around the world like a sport that has so little offense.

Well, if offense = scoring then I get it. Soccer is my favorite sport but I understand why someone does not like it and find it boring.

Yeah, if your car is vibrating from the bass, there’s something wrong.

If I can hear it coming from a quarter mile away and then the Earthquake like tremors hit and away it goes off into the distance. To the cupboard I go to take an aspirin as the migraine sets in.

<I know those are not complete sentences but I don't care>

I wish they would just enforce the law and confiscate the stereo systems every time there is a violation. That may quiet it down a bit.

cumulus is just a type of cloud -- no specific "volume/dimension." 3 basic types are Cirrus, Stratus and Cumulus.
Yes, GE PDE designer.
I don't know what metrics experts use to distinguish one cloud from the other. I figre experts on that might have some standardization heights due to air pressures so I just went with it instead of pretending. It's not hard to find a volume indicator. Either way, heavier than most realize and pertinent to the thread as most, they are thinking weight, not density and air flow as being the important metric.

Last edited:
Well, if offense = scoring then I get it. Soccer is my favorite sport but I understand why someone does not like it and find it boring.
Soccer is my favorite sport, too. Some co-workers loved NASCAR and hated soccer, so we always went back and forth. Me: "OMG. Did you see that? The #12 car made yet another left hand turn. How exciting! But, wait, he's going to make another left hand turn and another and another...What excitement! Just when you thought...wait! ANOTHER left hand turn! In fact, all the cars are making left hand turns, one after the other... Please don't tell me what happens next. I can't stand the excite....OMG! another left hand turn!...and another!!!...and yet another..."

We called a truce.