How good is Glenville?

Hate to tell you, I wasn’t talking about the parochial schools at all. I was talking about (wait for it) Glenville. You know like the thread title suggests? ;)

I don’t doubt that not all kids in parochial schools are of the same religious beliefs as the school espouses. But, as an old friend of mine once said, “I may be Agnostic, but I believe in the academic success of a Catholic school education.” ability of the Catholic schools to pick and choose and not be able to show value increase more than the public schools. Facts hurt. ;)

FYP
No charge.

I’m rooting for Glenville. Coach Ginn does amazing things for his players and we have all enjoyed watching them play at OSU and other colleges over the years. They are due for a state championship!
He is an amazing recruiter no doubt.

Glenville, like Benedictine, St. Edward, VASJ, Hoban, and SVSM among others, is open-enrollment, which means that anyone in any Cleveland neighborhood can attend. They don't "poach" kids from other communities. The kids go there because they want to go there. No one forces them.
Naivete isn't a good look.

It’s just strange to me how you go from D1 to D4 in relatively short amount of time. Why has Glenville’s numbers declined so much? Also as they have declined have the numbers at Ginn Academy gone up?
It was not Cleveland Schools fault, it was OHSAA. They only count the Glenville enrollment. You'd think then that the Ginn kids would come in through the CB numbers, but there # is zero there for Glenville. In the early years Cleveland added Ginn to Glenville's enrollment numbers but OHSAA than said no to that a couple years ago.

It is complicated in the large school districts in Ohio. We all know the schools that have football in each District, but there are many schools with no sports, or no football, and those kids don't seem to get counted in any football enrollment count, even though they certainly have many football players.

That said, the traditional way OHSAA does enrollment frequently overstates the current enrollment in inner-city schools. Using last years 9-10-11 enrollment count frequently overstates what the current 10-11-12 count actually is, due to a higher transfer-out and drop-out rate.

You are a real piece of work brother. Your arrogance has no bounds. Don’t forget The Big Red is 15-0 against your tarblooders. Yes it’s a long time ago. In fact your AD was a fine man and a gentlemen from the “real” Ville, Steubenville who was friends with my father. A man of class and humility. Does the name Corky Crowley ring a bell?
They are not my TarBlooders and good for your BIG RED! I speak of this year only, not last year or 15years ago. I have no connection to Glenville, just stating the obvious about this years team in a “darn good”(as someone previously mentioned on this thread) Division 4. Yeah ok!

So, at least on paper, this year's team seems drastically different from last year's; so what's changed? Did pretty much all of their starters from last year return, or did some really good transfers come in or did they just have a slow start last year? Another question, and I guess more toward my point. We all know Glenville is filled with talent, they're always filled with talent, but is this year's "Glenville Hype" based solely around their Avon win? Why isn't anyone talking about their 6 point victory over Olentangy Liberty? A team they lost to the previous year by 1 point. So yes, an improvement over last year, but you all do realize that other teams have improved over last year as well, right?
With the talent Glenville has, they are the clear cut favorites to win the Div IV State title, BUT don't be surprised if they don't make it out of their Region!

So, at least on paper, this year's team seems drastically different from last year's; so what's changed? Did pretty much all of their starters from last year return, or did some really good transfers come in or did they just have a slow start last year? Another question, and I guess more toward my point. We all know Glenville is filled with talent, they're always filled with talent, but is this year's "Glenville Hype" based solely around their Avon win? Why isn't anyone talking about their 6 point victory over Olentangy Liberty? A team they lost to the previous year by 1 point. So yes, an improvement over last year, but you all do realize that other teams have improved over last year as well, right?
With the talent Glenville has, they are the clear cut favorites to win the Div IV State title, BUT don't be surprised if they don't make it out of their Region!
The difference between last year and this year is they didn't have football in Cleveland in 2020. So 2021 was a total rebuild of the program. They were very young and still are. Many of the kids that transferred out in 2020 to schools that had football transferred back. By the end of 2021 Glenville was putting it together and made a nice playoff run. They added more talent for 2022 and they are as stacked as they have been since the early years when they were a D1 power.

The biggest difference I see between the early Glenville teams and now is the coaching. For the longest time they ran basic schemes and just tried to beat you with their talent. Not a ton of adjustments. With Ted Jr on the staff there is a very noticeable difference. They make solid in-game adjustments. They must be doing film study because their players are now very good at diagnosing what they are seeing on the field. The fundamentals look very sound. They play very physical, as they always have. If you don't have physical line play, forget about beating them. If they can just clean up the offsides penalties on D and false starts on O a little bit they will be very hard to beat by anyone...from D1 to D7.

And, by the way, they filled the visitor stands at Avon, so they are even travelling better than ever. Avon is trying to renew them and I hope they can, because they are a great test for anyone now.

WIth responses of "humble" and "be respectful?" Those are great responses to stand with. I bet the same responses both Mr. Ginn's and their staff teach daily. You must have skipped class.
Pretty humble with a name like eastisbest. We both may have skipped class that day!

Last edited:
How many DI college recruits does Glenville have? Are they mostly seniors or do they have some young talent mixed in?

(after a quick google search, I may have missed some) Bryce West, JR (Corner) | Arvell Reese, SR (LB) | Jermaine Foster, SR (WR) | Damarion Witten, JR (TE) |

In the end, coaching will doom Glenville.

Saw some highlights over the last few weeks. While they will be there towards the end. They do not look as everyone is saying here.

They happen to get down in a game late in the playoffs. Watch what happens…

It was not Cleveland Schools fault, it was OHSAA. They only count the Glenville enrollment. You'd think then that the Ginn kids would come in through the CB numbers, but there # is zero there for Glenville. In the early years Cleveland added Ginn to Glenville's enrollment numbers but OHSAA than said no to that a couple years ago.

It is complicated in the large school districts in Ohio. We all know the schools that have football in each District, but there are many schools with no sports, or no football, and those kids don't seem to get counted in any football enrollment count, even though they certainly have many football players.

That said, the traditional way OHSAA does enrollment frequently overstates the current enrollment in inner-city schools. Using last years 9-10-11 enrollment count frequently overstates what the current 10-11-12 count actually is, due to a higher transfer-out and drop-out rate.
Isn't the reason Ginn Academy's numbers not counted for Glenville because Ginn students aren't obligated to play sports at Glenville? Sure, the top athletes at Ginn go to Glenville but I thought they had students playing at other Senate schools as well.

It's a tricky situation for sure where I can see why the OHSAA hasn't touched it. Probably should count Ginn student athletes as open enrollees. If 15 go to Glenville they are counted against Glenville's CB numbers; if 4 go to Hay it adds to theirs. But I haven't really followed the dynamics of Ginn Academy, but I recall it wasn't created specifically as a Glenville feeder even though it is one for all intents and purposes.

Maybe that would bump them up to D3 this cycle but I'm guessing Glenville is headed toward D4/D5 anyway barring CMSD consolidation.

I agree on the 9-11 count as well. I'd guess that most of the Cleveland City (and other urban districts) have senior classes that are 50 percent smaller than when they entered 9th.

Saw some highlights over the last few weeks. While they will be there towards the end. They do not look as everyone is saying here.

lol.....here you are again. Keep those prayers alive. I sense some "hope" that the coaches falter because you have that little doubt they just might meet up with your squad!!

They were down against Avon in the 4th quarter. They made key plays on offense, and defense to win that game.

I think Glenville has better coaching staff than many think. Depth and on-field discipline issues certainly are evident at times and has hurt them, but they have won games against excellent and even legendary coaches.

Guys like Ginn work really hard to help these kids, utilizing football as a metaphor for life really. If he lacks a little bit in the X's and O's, that is pretty understandable. Ginn has had some very good assistant coaches to help with that, though.

They are not my TarBlooders and good for your BIG RED! I speak of this year only, not last year or 15years ago. I have no connection to Glenville, just stating the obvious about this years team in a “darn good”(as someone previously mentioned on this thread) Division 4. Yeah ok!
You state the obvious when you say The Ginn Academy has a great team. Duh, no . But then you go too far by penciling them in as state champs. It won’t be the senate league in weeks 13,14,15 and 16. Personally, if I could bet the “D4 field” or The Ginn Academy, I’d bet the field all day. There are still 10 games to go for a state champion to be crowned. Since the West Holmes folks think they have the greatest team in Ohio high school football history , The Fighting Ginn’s might not make it out of the region.

You state the obvious when you say The Ginn Academy has a great team. Duh, no . But then you go too far by penciling them in as state champs. It won’t be the senate league in weeks 13,14,15 and 16. Personally, if I could bet the “D4 field” or The Ginn Academy, I’d bet the field all day. There are still 10 games to go for a state champion to be crowned. Since *SOME OF* the West Holmes folks think they have the greatest team in Ohio high school football history , The Fighting Ginn’s might not make it out of the region.
It isn't anyone directly involved with the West Holmes program making those types of statements. Maybe some living off the glory of teenagers haha. It's one game at a time, chop wood - carry water attitude from coaches and players.

The difference between last year and this year is they didn't have football in Cleveland in 2020. So 2021 was a total rebuild of the program. They were very young and still are. Many of the kids that transferred out in 2020 to schools that had football transferred back. By the end of 2021 Glenville was putting it together and made a nice playoff run. They added more talent for 2022 and they are as stacked as they have been since the early years when they were a D1 power.

The biggest difference I see between the early Glenville teams and now is the coaching. For the longest time they ran basic schemes and just tried to beat you with their talent. Not a ton of adjustments. With Ted Jr on the staff there is a very noticeable difference. They make solid in-game adjustments. They must be doing film study because their players are now very good at diagnosing what they are seeing on the field. The fundamentals look very sound. They play very physical, as they always have. If you don't have physical line play, forget about beating them. If they can just clean up the offsides penalties on D and false starts on O a little bit they will be very hard to beat by anyone...from D1 to D7.
I guess my question is, not particularly for you but for those that are already crowning Glenville the Div. IV State Champs, how good is Olentangy Liberty this year? Olentangy Liberty actually had a real shot at coming from behind and winning that game. So if there were teams in Div. IV that were, probably, a good bit better than Olentangy Liberty, wouldn't it be possible those teams might be real challenges to Glenville, possibly beating them? Just my observation.

WH Coach is a Dover boy. He's had a lot of success building programs up. Was part of the staff that got Indian Valley going, got a decades down Sandy Valley program to achieve school history success and has had several great showings in the tournament at West Holmes including the school's first final four last season. He's under 40 and getting better every year. Would love to see WH test their wear against a stacked team like Glenville.

They gamed the system.
Not really, there has been a massive drop in enrollment on the East Side as families are continuing to move to other inner ring suburbs and communities like Wickliffe, Willowwick, and Willoughby have become more accessible fr East Side families. The relative academic success of West Side high schools is drawing more students to those schools and the improvement of Marshall, Rhodes, and Lincoln West in football means fewer kids asre going to the Ville.

To be fair, the team now should just be called Ginn academy as almost all the players are at the Ginn Campus.

Last edited:
You state the obvious when you say The Ginn Academy has a great team. Duh, no . But then you go too far by penciling them in as state champs. It won’t be the senate league in weeks 13,14,15 and 16. Personally, if I could bet the “D4 field” or The Ginn Academy, I’d bet the field all day. There are still 10 games to go for a state champion to be crowned. Since the West Holmes folks think they have the greatest team in Ohio high school football history , The Fighting Ginn’s might not make it out of the region.
I’d take that bet all day.

I guess my question is, not particularly for you but for those that are already crowning Glenville the Div. IV State Champs, how good is Olentangy Liberty this year? Olentangy Liberty actually had a real shot at coming from behind and winning that game. So if there were teams in Div. IV that were, probably, a good bit better than Olentangy Liberty, wouldn't it be possible those teams might be real challenges to Glenville, possibly beating them? Just my observation.
No

Naivete isn't a good look.
It's not naievete. It's the truth. If North Canton City Schools chooses to be closed-enrollment, that's their choice. Cleveland Municipal School District chooses to be open-enrollment. That's their choice. The fact that you dislike that is irrelevant.