Glen Oak

From The Repository: Glen Oak thrives after the transfers, court case:

The pre-printed T-shirt read “Sweet 16” on one side and “Still cuttin’ down nets” on the other, a not-so-subtle reminder that the team with no returning starters was still alive when seemingly everyone left them for dead.

“It’s storybook for us,” GlenOak coach Paul Wackerly said after a thoroughly convincing, and thoroughly satisfying, 63-38 victory over Hoover in Friday’s Division I district final at Perry High School. “I can’t be happier.

“Ain’t nobody thought we were going to do this. They never gave us anything, but we did. We believed it.”

Then they did it.

"The same is true of GlenOak, which graduated one starter from last year’s state semifinal team, lost three to transfer (while accusing Wackerly of bullying tactics) and another to injury (junior Aniyah Hall, who tore her ACL in December). The seniors who stayed — senoir Mackenzie Green, Lemire and Kamryn Vance — kept things together and Wackerly again worked his tournament magic.

“We took the high road,” Wackerly said of the accusations. “We never said anything. We never gave our side of the story. The kids stayed with it and I told them that stuff stays in the locker room. “I’m kind of old school. I think it pays off for kids to do that kind of stuff.”

Only 16 Division I teams will still be practicing next week. Hard to believe GlenOak is one of them.

“Words can’t describe this feeling,” Green said. “It’s the best feeling in the world. With everything we’ve been through — Coach Wack, the coaching staff, the parents, us — we deserve this moment.”
Mackenzie Green...a recruit...ironic.

Well, it seems like both sides should be ok here. Girls got out out of a bad situation and GO girls still reached their goal despite a bad situation. Great job by all girls and good luck to them all.

This is not only Paul's greatest coaching achievement, but might be the greatest in memory of any high school coach, boys or girls. To be one win away from a return to the Final Four with five new starters -- one being a major project on the fly -- is extraordinary. To do so given the adversity he and the program has endured, is unimaginable. The word resilience is being personified by his team, while the word loyal is being demonstrated by his administration.
This^^

Best of luck to Coach Wack (who should have been Fed COY) and the faithful girls who hung in there.