GCL vs. GMC playoff games 2021

Did any of our friends from the GMC notice that 3 of the 4 wins by the GCL in 2020 were lower seeded GCL teams upsetting higher seeded GMC teams?

#11 Moeller 43
#6 Hamilton 27

#7 Elder 26
#2 Princeton 21

#3 St. Xavier 10
#1 Lakota West 7
Another way to look at that is that is this:

4th place GCL-S over 5th place GMC
3rd place GCL-S over 2nd place GMC in a very close game
1st place GCL-S over 1st place GMC in a very close game

I would think that any of the GCL-S schools would be very disappointed if they couldn't finish in the top 4 of the GMC. Ultimately, we usually get the best the GMC has to offer against the best the GCL-S has to offer, and the GCL-S usually comes out a little better (Moeller beating Oak Hills is extremely irrelevant as the entire GMC has done that for years).

My rooting interests during the playoffs follows the following path......

1) X.... and if X loses
2) any GCL team... then
3) any Cincy/Southwest Ohio team... then
4) any team other than Eds or Iggy

My rooting interests during the playoffs follows the following path......

1) X.... and if X loses
2) any GCL team... then
3) any Cincy/Southwest Ohio team... then
4) any team other than Eds or Iggy
Replace Sycamore and GMC with X and GCL, and those are my rooting interests. Except for Moeller. I want everyone to beat Moeller.

Well, as I said, by ANY objective measure you'd care to cite, Sycamore is a better academic school than Moeller:

Average ACT Scores:
Sycamore- 29
Moeller- 28 or 25 (depending on source cited-- 28 on Niche.com; 25 on PrivateSchoolReview.com)

Average SAT Scores:
Sycamore- 1320
Moeller- 1220

Advanced Placement Class Participation:
Sycamore- 57%
Moeller- 27% (Niche.com)

National Merit Finalist Scholars (2021):
Sycamore- 22
Moeller- 0

School Rankings:
Sycamore- 10th out of 746 Public Schools in Ohio
Moeller- 28th out of 145 Private Schools in Ohio (Niche.com)*
*- Unfortunately, it is hard to get a listing which combines both public and private schools in one overall ranking system-- but the STEM rankings (below) do just that:

Sycamore- 31st out of 212 Ohio High Schools for "STEM" education
Moeller- 72nd out of 212 Ohio High Schools for "STEM" education (Niche.com)

It is hard to argue that Moeller is better than Sycamore academically-- I see NO data to support that argument.

Who F'ing Cares. Moeller has a tremendous alumni base of successful Husbands, Fathers, Providers. No one sits around and discusses SAT and ACT Scores. I guess that is left up to Clowns like you.

The GMC has had some great teams over the years…
70’s & 80’s Princeton
90’s-2020 Colerain
Now Lakota West is the bully

My GCL bias appreciates the back and forth between X, Elder, Moe and yes… even LaSalle of late. Moe dominated the 70’s and 80’s but it’s been up in the air since.

I wouldn’t really trust Niche as a reputable source on school quality for what its worth.

Just based on reputation, the following are what I would consider the best high schools in the Cincinnati area:

1. Walnut Hills
2. Wyoming
3. St. X
4. St. Ursula
5. Sycamore
6. Indian Hill
7. Madeira
8. Ursuline
9. Mason
10. Turpin

That doesn’t mean that these are the only good high schools. I would consider Mariemont, Moeller, Princeton, Kings, Anderson, and Mt. Notre Dame to all be good high schools as well.
Pretty sure you're missing CCD and SCD in those lists.

The GMC has had some great teams over the years…
70’s & 80’s Princeton
90’s-2020 Colerain
Now Lakota West is the bully

My GCL bias appreciates the back and forth between X, Elder, Moe and yes… even LaSalle of late. Moe dominated the 70’s and 80’s but it’s been up in the air since.

Facts: State Titles

Moeller -9
St. X-4
Elder -2
LaSalle (D2) 4 * LaSalle has never won a D1 Playoff Game

Just my opinion, Fish. Ursuline is still a very good school and I have come across several smart and successful people that went there.

You’re not wrong though. It’s definitely slipped over the past few years.

Moeller beat FF BY 14.... but the game is not that close...
I’ve watched Fairfield on tape only. Their big play potential worries me against a Moe defense that is very average. Hopefully Moe won’t let Fairfield hang around into the 4th quarter. Although, I’d like to think Moeller’s schedule helps them. Been awhile since the football fans at Moe can look forward to Friday nights in November on the gridiron instead of the hardwood.

Facts: State Titles

Moeller -9
St. X-4
Elder -2
LaSalle (D2) 4 * LaSalle has never won a D1 Playoff Game
And beat D1 champ St. X during one of their titles, beating Moeller, Elder and Colerain in 2014, Colerain and Moeller in 2015, Moeller, St. X (State D1 champs, and Elder in 2016, and Moeller, St .X and Elder in 2019.

Maybe D2 titles with multiple wins against D1 powers mean more than you want to admit.

And beat D1 champ St. X during one of their titles, beating Moeller, Elder and Colerain in 2014, Colerain and Moeller in 2015, Moeller, St. X (State D1 champs, and Elder in 2016, and Moeller, St .X and Elder in 2019.

Maybe D2 titles with multiple wins against D1 powers mean more than you want to admit.
WOW can you say Triggered! LOL His statement was correct nothing more nothing less. LaSalle has won state titles but none of them have been D1.

WOW can you say Triggered! LOL His statement was correct nothing more nothing less. LaSalle has won state titles but none of them have been D1.
Touche, but the "but DII" argument can be a tad irritating all the time from fans of programs La Salle beaten more often than not the past seven years.

I thought Colerain's LRDII T-shirts were a nice beginning to that and a nice backdrop to a three-score drubbing.

Last edited:
One thing not talked about in these sorts of threads (while tangential to the thread title, it is being discussed anyway so I am adding my two cents) is that private, religious schools are trying to pull in kids/families not just for butts in seats, but to educate and form them in their religion. So if you are Catholic (or even a Christian) then, in my experience, there is a push to get you into the Catholic schools. You get notes in the bulletin at Mass and your parish priest will mention it. Every KofC fish fry, church festival, and parish event has some recruitment to get people to put their kids in a Catholic school - for their success in this world and in the next.

For many people who work at and fund these schools, the salvation of souls is the primary goal. Having good sports helps, but is not the end goal.

GCL & GMC playoff games this weekend.....

Fairfield at Moeller (the only GCL/GMC matchup)
Elder at St Xavier
LaSalle
at Anderson
Milford at Lakota West
Sycamore at Princeton

simple betting tip when GCL team plays GMC team........ bet on the GMC team to lose!

And now we have added 2019 playoff results.....

St. Xavier 48
Mason 20

Elder 42
Lakota West 17

Elder 28
Colerain 21

So 2019 was also a clean sweep for the GCL...... 3-0

I'm starting to sense a pattern here..... GCL > GMC

No doubt, the years Colerain advanced up state, they would've beaten at least a couple GCL teams along the way.

Last edited:
Ill end this once and for all. If the Lakota's never split up they would be beating each and every one of your teams for the last 20 years in every sport. Just spitting facts.
Oh no doubt having the historically crappy East and West teams from the past 25 years together would have created a juggernaut. No doubt there would have been about 20 state titles without breaking a sweat.