GCL vs. GMC playoff games 2021

from GCL South website:
Short write-up on upcoming GCL-GMC games.....

Moe-Princeton:
Moeller will meet Princeton (11-1) for the first time since the two played in week one in 2008 as part of the Skyline Chili Crosstown Showdown at University of Cincinnati’s Nippert Stadium. Moeller won that meeting, 27-17. The perennial state contenders were Cincinnati’s marquee game for decades back in the 1970s and 1980s, when the schools were coached by legends Gerry Faust at Moeller and Pat Mancuso at Princeton – both of whom now have facilities named after them at the schools.

Princeton – led by first-year coach Andre Parker who enjoyed success at Winton Woods previously – has lost only once, that to GMC champion Lakota West, 24-0, back on September 10. Since then, the Vikings have reeled off eight straight victories – the latest a 37-35 win against GMC rival Sycamore last night at Mancuso Field at Viking Stadium. Princeton wound up in sole possession of second place in the GMC, at 6-1.

X-LW
Up next for St. Xavier is Greater Miami Conference champion Lakota West, a team that the Bombers have defeated twice in the last year – including a dramatic 10-7 win in the final minute last November in the regional final. In that game, McCaughey connected with current Penn State University freshman Liam Clifford on a 17-yard TD pass with 27 second remaining for the win. St. Xavier also beat West, 31-14, in the season opener this season in a game that West led 14-3 late in the second quarter at St. Xavier before the Bombers mounted a comeback.

West (10-1) defeated Milford, 49-14, at home last night to move to the semifinals. The Firebirds, who defeated West Clermont by that same score one week earlier, have won 10 straight games since the loss at St. Xavier and are 18-2 the last two seasons – the lone blemishes both coming to the Bombers. West’s closest game since week one was a 21-3 win at Colerain last month.

Here’s a newspaper clipping from 1985 re: football standings. Top left…Says Greater Cincinnati League. Sorry for the teams being cutoff. This is from the Moe newsletter.
Almost every conference has 6 teams. Seems like the right blend for scheduling consistency and variety.

Less than ideal weather conditions for are pushing me towards West over my Suicide Bombers… hope I’m wrong.
I do think at least one of the GMC teams will win and end the GCL over GMC streak.
I reserve the right to flip flop again before kickoff…. for the 2nd half!

Last edited:
Less than ideal weather conditions for are pushing me towards West over my Suicide Bombers… hope I’m wrong.
I do think at least one of the GMC teams will win and end the GCL over GMC streak.
I reserve the right to flip flop again before kickoff…. for the 2nd half!
Pope is still perfect with picks… with late flip to West over X.
West ends GCL streak at 11.
Next week, Moe vs. West and Pope taking West to go all the way and win state!

Pope enjoying dinner after trash talking the GMC faithful past few weeks…

1636774161860.png

I took typing, geometry and drivers ed at Sycamore during the summer and they all sucked. The drivers ed teachers were jerks (actual term I wanted to use was edited out) and the other two were worthless.
That's a good measure of... something-- you took driver's ed and typing, and you thought they sucked-- so that means-- What? I notice you weren't taking calculus or physics (but then, why would you-- who needs that stuff at Moeller)... Sycamore still surpasses Moeller in EVERY measurable academic criteria you'd care to discuss.

That's a good measure of... something-- you took driver's ed and typing, and you thought they sucked-- so that means-- What? I notice you weren't taking calculus or physics (but then, why would you-- who needs that stuff at Moeller)... Sycamore still surpasses Moeller in EVERY measurable academic criteria you'd care to discuss.
Give it a rest. They both have A+ on Niche. Both good schools.

The Pick North vs Central one is funny since, you know, North beat Central in the regular season. Not that Central isn’t the better team, but this is a huge rivalry game that will go down to the wire regardless of outcome. Springfield is getting way too much respect against Findlay as well. It would be an upset, but I like Findlay to win that game.
Well, these predictions didn't age well... the prediction of PC over PN 27-7 doesn't look as funny now... nor the Springfield pick-- it was the X pick (unfortunately) that turned out to be inaccurate.

A few points- niche is a bogus source,

Sycamore is Co-Ed, girls bring up the standardized testing average scores.

Moeller has 13 alums currently at US service academies including 3 playing football. Now that is a stat worth mentioning
As noted, I used 4 different sources to compile that data (not just Niche)-- ALL of them showed Sycamore to be superior academically to Moeller-- but do tell us why "Niche is a bogus source"... and however many Moeller alums are playing football at service academies has NOTHING to do with academic performance at Moeller-- as someone who had an appointment to a US service academy, I know full well that the admission process for athletes (especially football athletes) to be admitted to service academies is NOT the same as it is for the rest of the student body-- so I don't know what that irrelevant statistic has to do with academics at Moeller or Sycamore-- it just supports the stat that Moeller is a good place for those primarily interested in athletics to go.

I highly doubt that Moeller has more alums at top universities in the US than Sycamore does-- in fact, I'll bet you a $100 right now that Sycamore's current roster of alums at colleges ranked in the top 25 academic colleges in the US is a bigger number than Moeller's is-- you can pick the ranking service, but we could start with US News & World Report's annual ranking-- tell me how many Moeller has, and I'll find out how many Sycamore has-- and I'd be willing to bet that Sycamore's is a MUCH higher total.

Nothing is free. Taxes pay for the school.
It's free to Sycamore School District residents who choose to go there-- they won't pay even one extra dollar of taxes to attend Sycamore-- whereas, if they make the decision to attend Moeller, those same Sycamore School District residents will have to pay an extra ~$15,000 to attend a school with lesser academic achievements than Sycamore has-- a questionable decision, to say the least.

As noted, I used 4 different sources to compile that data (not just Niche)-- ALL of them showed Sycamore to be superior academically to Moeller-- but do tell us why "Niche is a bogus source"... and however many Moeller alums are playing football at service academies has NOTHING to do with academic performance at Moeller-- as someone who had an appointment to a US service academy, I know full well that the admission process for athletes (especially football athletes) to be admitted to service academies is NOT the same as it is for the rest of the student body-- so I don't know what that irrelevant statistic has to do with academics at Moeller or Sycamore-- it just supports the stat that Moeller is a good place for those primarily interested in athletics to go.

I highly doubt that Moeller has more alums at top universities in the US than Sycamore does-- in fact, I'll bet you a $100 right now that Sycamore's current roster of alums at colleges ranked in the top 25 academic colleges in the US is a bigger number than Moeller's is-- you can pick the ranking service, but we could start with US News & World Report's annual ranking-- tell me how many Moeller has, and I'll find out how many Sycamore has-- and I'd be willing to bet that Sycamore's is a MUCH higher total.

Boring

You should have accepted that appointment. It may have helped develop you into a man instead of the "tool" you have become. GBM

Niche uses a formula that is in part pay for play and also popularity rating system- hardly a great measuring stick. That was the source you cited mostly in your original post.

I mentioned 3 football athletes at service academies as well as 10 others currently students which is truly impressive for a high school the size of Moeller. While I know from having a kid and several family members get appointments to and actually ATTEND and GRADUATE from US service Academies that yes- the recruiting process is different for athletes, a standard still must be met and they only chose kids that they feel can handle the rigor of the toughest of college environments . My point was less about pure academics, but more about graduating the type of young men who make a commitment to serve others and the ability to stand out among their peers to be granted an appointment. Moeller has a long legacy of sending great young men to serve and I believe that shows some intangibles that can’t be “ranked”- like leadership and grit that mean more than just taking 12 AP classes. Just having kids willing to go to service academies and the sacrifice that entails shows Moeller is developing great young adults. It is impressive to have so many current students there and is a source of great pride for the community.

Again- take out the female population of your public high school and the numbers are not the same. I really don’t care how many top universities alumni go to (and I would say you care a little too much) - that’s not the end-all be-all for most in the decision process to send their kid to a private school. The days of knocking Moeller as just a jock school are done-clearly you live in the past and have an unhealthy anger about the place. Simple solution- don’t send your sons there, ok?

And by the way- I know the guys playing football at the academies- their academic and leadership resumes along with acceptances to other top universities show they would have met the standard for the academies even if not being recruited athletes.

Last edited:
Niche uses a formula that is in part pay for play and also popularity rating system- hardly a great measuring stick. That was the source you cited mostly in your original post.

I mentioned 3 football athletes at service academies as well as 10 others currently students which is truly impressive for a high school the size of Moeller. While I know from having a kid and several family members get appointments to and actually ATTEND and GRADUATE from US service Academies that yes- the recruiting process is different for athletes, a standard still must be met and they only chose kids that they feel can handle the rigor of the toughest of college environments . My point was less about pure academics, but more about graduating the type of young men who make a commitment to serve others and the ability to stand out among their peers to be granted an appointment. Moeller has a long legacy of sending great young men to serve and I believe that shows some intangibles that can’t be “ranked”- like leadership and grit that mean more than just taking 12 AP classes. Just having kids willing to go to service academies and the sacrifice that entails shows Moeller is developing great young adults. It is impressive to have so many current students there and is a source of great pride for the community.

Again- take out the female population of your public high school and the numbers are not the same. I really don’t care how many top universities alumni go to (and I would say you care a little too much) - that’s not the end-all be-all for most in the decision process to send their kid to a private school. The days of knocking Moeller as just a jock school are done-clearly you live in the past and have an unhealthy anger about the place. Simple solution- don’t send your sons there, ok?

And by the way- I know the guys playing football at the academies- their academic and leadership resumes along with acceptances to other top universities show they would have met the standard for the academies even if not being recruited athletes.
As I noted, I looked at FOUR different ranking services-- ALL FOUR ranked Sycamore ahead of Moeller academically-- so, we can even take Niche out of the assessment, and the assessment would remain the same.

The service academies are great schools-- but, no better than other top academic schools, so I'm not sure why you are placing so much emphasis on that small group of 4-5 schools; as somebody who served a LOT of time on active duty, I know the graduates-- they are good, but certainly no better than those from other top schools. And, ALL top academic schools that field Division I sports teams, whether the service academies or the Ivies or Stanford, Duke, Northwestern, etc., substantively lower their standards for the athletes that they admit-- if you think the bulk of the kids at the service academies on their football team would have been admitted on their own, without football to get them in, you are sorely deluded.

I also don't know why you think we should "take out the female population" of the public high school; Ursuline, which sits in the same neighborhood as Moeller, has no problem with measuring up to the standard of Sycamore HS. If you want to compare the academic achievements of just the male students at Sycamore with Moeller, I guess we could do that (if the data is available by gender)-- but it is NOT going to make Moeller look better than Sycamore academically

Moeller is STILL a jock school-- that is PRECISELY what I knock them for-- the school doesn't come CLOSE to achieving the academic success that it should, for a school that is located in the middle of the most affluent (and highest academic achieving) school districts in all of Greater Cincinnati. Moeller alums should be embarrassed that their school is academically inferior to the local public HS in the district where Moeller is located (despite costing ~$15,000 more to attend)-- BUT THEY'RE NOT-- which tells all that one needs to know about Moeller's misguided academic priorities.

As I noted, I looked at FOUR different ranking services-- ALL FOUR ranked Sycamore ahead of Moeller academically-- so, we can even take Niche out of the assessment, and the assessment would remain the same.

The service academies are great schools-- but, no better than other top academic schools, so I'm not sure why you are placing so much emphasis on that small group of 4-5 schools; as somebody who served a LOT of time on active duty, I know the graduates-- they are good, but certainly no better than those from other top schools. And, ALL top academic schools that field Division I sports teams, whether the service academies or the Ivies or Stanford, Duke, Northwestern, etc., substantively lower their standards for the athletes that they admit-- if you think the bulk of the kids at the service academies on their football team would have been admitted on their own, without football to get them in, you are sorely deluded.

I also don't know why you think we should "take out the female population" of the public high school; Ursuline, which sits in the same neighborhood as Moeller, has no problem with measuring up to the standard of Sycamore HS. If you want to compare the academic achievements of just the male students at Sycamore with Moeller, I guess we could do that (if the data is available by gender)-- but it is NOT going to make Moeller look better than Sycamore academically

Moeller is STILL a jock school-- that is PRECISELY what I knock them for-- the school doesn't come CLOSE to achieving the academic success that it should, for a school that is located in the middle of the most affluent (and highest academic achieving) school districts in all of Greater Cincinnati. Moeller alums should be embarrassed that their school is academically inferior to the local public HS in the district where Moeller is located (despite costing ~$15,000 more to attend)-- BUT THEY'RE NOT-- which tells all that one needs to know about Moeller's misguided academic priorities.

Enjoy life Mr. Sycamore- you have proved my point just fine!

Enjoy life Mr. Sycamore- you have proved my point just fine!
4GX very definitely is not a Sycamore alum. I believe that I am one of the only ones on this board. However, I agree with everything that he said. Moeller could be better academically, and they're not. They don't hold a candle to Sycamore, and, I say again, this is something that is not really debatable.

4GX very definitely is not a Sycamore alum. I believe that I am one of the only ones on this board. However, I agree with everything that he said. Moeller could be better academically, and they're not. They don't hold a candle to Sycamore, and, I say again, this is something that is not really debatable.
100%. I assumed the guy was just yanking 4GX’s chain because there’s no way Moeller is in Sycamore’s academic level. Maybe he believes it tho?