Fall HS Season

There will occasionally be a few kids that opt to not play high school for all or some of their high school careers. I've noticed a trend where non-DA kids are opting to sit out for 1-2 seasons (sophomore and/or Jr year) because these are prime recruiting years. College coaches typically don't recruit at high school games, they recruit at the big showcase tournaments. The late Nov-early December showcases (like CASL) are important. Some kids will opt to skip high school and focus on training and getting ready for those big showcases. Assuming they have the college offer that they want, they will sometimes go back and play for their high schools as seniors

There isn't a lot of recruiting going to during HS season because college soccer is also in season. CASL is now NCFC Showcase and in November, well after HS season is over. There are no significant clubs in the midwest, playing during HS season, other than the DA.

There isn't a lot of recruiting going to during HS season because college soccer is also in season. CASL is now NCFC Showcase and in November, well after HS season is over. There are no significant clubs in the midwest, playing during HS season, other than the DA.
States like Michigan and Virginia have Club soccer in the Fall. College coaches go those games. That's why they have ID camps in the Fall. I have spoken to numerous college coaches that have stated that they do not recruit/view high school games because the quality of play and coaching is inconsistent, making it difficult to get a read on a player's true ability. With that said, they will occasionally stop by a local high school game if there's a kid they're interested in seeing play as a way to show face-time.

Either way, whether it is because their teams are playing or they don't want to watch a high school game, the effect is the same. They are not watching high school games. So, from a player perspective, some players have stated that they don't want to risk injury during a critical recruiting period. A high school season is grueling (a lot of games over a short period); which can lead to injury and/or fatigue.

Some players do the calculation that they are better off working out on their own and/or joining one of the Fall club teams that are propping up (like at Ohio Elite) vs playing for their high school teams. It's a risk/reward calculation that some players are making...

States like Michigan and Virginia have Club soccer in the Fall. College coaches go those games. That's why they have ID camps in the Fall. I have spoken to numerous college coaches that have stated that they do not recruit/view high school games because the quality of play and coaching is inconsistent, making it difficult to get a read on a player's true ability. With that said, they will occasionally stop by a local high school game if there's a kid they're interested in seeing play as a way to show face-time.

Either way, whether it is because their teams are playing or they don't want to watch a high school game, the effect is the same. They are not watching high school games. So, from a player perspective, some players have stated that they don't want to risk injury during a critical recruiting period. A high school season is grueling (a lot of games over a short period); which can lead to injury and/or fatigue.

Some players do the calculation that they are better off working out on their own and/or joining one of the Fall club teams that are propping up (like at Ohio Elite) vs playing for their high school teams. It's a risk/reward calculation that some players are making...
To each their own. There is no right or wrong way only what the player feels is best for them. Many of the fall teams in club leagues are not as good as their current high school teams and you can get hurt anywhere at any level - many ACL injuries are non contact. Some players absolutely thrive playing club ball and high school and go on to win State Championships and play on National teams, and have successful college careers. In my opinion that would be the perfect career. Some players thrive and love the social and community environment of High School and some do not. If a player doesn’t have many friends in high school or doesn’t get along with their high school team that is a big reason not to play high school soccer. Social interactivity is a huge factor and should not be underestimated. To each her own.

MNDs team is presumably the worst program year in schools history with so many upperclassmen deciding to not play coupled with an inexperienced coaching staff. specifically rumors of a rochester commit CB - huge asset on the field but coaching isn’t there. she’s played ECNL @ nationals, starting consistently and committed to a big program with strong academics - shame that MND throws away talent for popularity/pride issues. seems to happen at a lot of area schools with big players being underrated.

MNDs team is presumably the worst program year in schools history with so many upperclassmen deciding to not play coupled with an inexperienced coaching staff. specifically rumors of a rochester commit CB - huge asset on the field but coaching isn’t there. she’s played ECNL @ nationals, starting consistently and committed to a big program with strong academics - shame that MND throws away talent for popularity/pride issues. seems to happen at a lot of area schools with big players being underrated.

[/QUOTE]
MND looked ok last year. Why aren’t the seniors playing and expend a little more on them throwing away talent of you can. Not quite understanding what’s going on with the coaching and player debacle.

Man, parents are the WORST!

Man, parents are the WORST!

To be fair - most likely 95% of posts are written by parents... and unless CSC is a young coach.... I suspect you're a parent too. I tend to agree with OSU1. For a few years now, but particularly last year and the coming year, MND has wasted the soccer talent that comes its way. Players don't want to play for the coaching staff. High School coaches generally know less about the game (there are exceptions) and tend to want to impart their control and influence. Even if that means playing politics and passing on players that could truly help the program. This year's MND group will be missing several positions - CB, OB, CM, attacking - that could have made a run for States. But they won't be there because they don't like dealing with the poor instruction and lower level of play. It isn't worth the time commitment. They are all social kids and love the social aspect, just not the politics.

Ursuline is dealing with the same issue. Many older players, really good talent, choosing not to play because they don't understand the coaching or agree with the politics. Some things never change - and never will. So feel free to continue to disparage those who speak out against it. It doesn't mean it's not the truth.

To be fair - most likely 95% of posts are written by parents... and unless CSC is a young coach.... I suspect you're a parent too. I tend to agree with OSU1. For a few years now, but particularly last year and the coming year, MND has wasted the soccer talent that comes its way. Players don't want to play for the coaching staff. High School coaches generally know less about the game (there are exceptions) and tend to want to impart their control and influence. Even if that means playing politics and passing on players that could truly help the program. This year's MND group will be missing several positions - CB, OB, CM, attacking - that could have made a run for States. But they won't be there because they don't like dealing with the poor instruction and lower level of play. It isn't worth the time commitment. They are all social kids and love the social aspect, just not the politics.

Ursuline is dealing with the same issue. Many older players, really good talent, choosing not to play because they don't understand the coaching or agree with the politics. Some things never change - and never will. So feel free to continue to disparage those who speak out against it. It doesn't mean it's not the truth.
I recall St. Ursula was going through the same politicking two years ago. Something about the coach selecting to play his club team more than players from another competing club. Springboro had a pretty good run with very good/excellent players but even then the players complained about their unfair or brutal coaching style.

So really a State Championship is even more elusive having to deal with off the field issues, politics, suspect coaching, conflicting interests, let alone injuries and social drama. Even more impressive if you win it all from a holistic program point of view yes?

I think Lakota West will take the GMC this year and could be a state power. They have KD, SJ and MP coming over from the DA to play their junior year. That gives them a powerful scorer, an attacking defender and another college level goalie to add to the already strong group.
Agree, LW will be in the top this season. Saw them scrimmage MercyMcauley and they looked solid and MM is a solid team as well.

Based on what I've seen this week in random scrimmages and both the Mason and the OE event, Creek still the champ, LW nowhere near a lock for the GMC. If anyone in the ECC decides to show up Loveland could be in trouble. MND and Ursaline might be the worst in years.

GMC - Mason
GWOC - Beavercreek
GGCL - SUA
ECC - Loveland simply by dafault
CHL - Indian hill
No way on SUA, they will be third in the GGCL behind MM and MND possibly fighting seton for third.

I recall St. Ursula was going through the same politicking two years ago.

Kinda like life, there is really no escaping politicking anywhere. Whether its at the parent, coach, or administration level everyone's got it. Money always talks, always has always will. Every school has kids on varsity who shouldn't be there but you'll see their parent's business advertised supporting the program, or you'll see those parents as the ones heading up the booster fundraisers, etc. Same with allegiances, coach's playing their club kids is not new and family favorites are everywhere. Some AD's have been around so long you start to see the kids of the alumni athletes showing up on rosters sooner than they would if their parents hadn't been stars in the AD's early days, etc. High school sports if nothing else offer a good 'welcome to the real world' for a lot of kids. Its not right or fair, but its not going anywhere.

A Rochester commit, What is in Rochester?

A Rochester commit, What is in Rochester?
The University of Rochester. It's an excellent academic school in the UAA Conference - arguably the best D3 conference in the country with schools that challenge the Ivies for academic excellence. I know nothing about the player but if she's going to Rochester she's not a slouch on the field or in the classroom.

The University of Rochester. It's an excellent academic school in the UAA Conference - arguably the best D3 conference in the country with schools that challenge the Ivies for academic excellence. I know nothing about the player but if she's going to Rochester she's not a slouch on the field or in the classroom.
I’m familiar with the Univ of Rochester. I thought the poster was referencing a D1 school and I didn’t think there was one in that city. Good for her.

This is something every D3 says. :LOL:

This is something every D3 says. :LOL:
Not true. I've never read or heard of schools like Mt Union, Mt St Joe's, Centre, Wilmington, or many other D3 schools claim to be the academic peers of some of the Ivies. I don't believe that those schools try to be, either.

The UAA is composed of U of Chicago, Wash U in St. Louis, Emory, Brandeis, CWRU, Carnegie Mellon, NYU, and the University of Rochester. Some of those schools do compete with Ivies for academic excellence and it's not the schools that claim that. Do some research and you'll see. There's a reason that those schools can be so selective about who gets admitted. There's also a good reason that the grads of those institutions earn quite a bit more over their lifetimes compared to many people.

I think he was referring to the arguably best D3 conference (soccer) assertion not the academic assertion. No argument those are all Top Tier academic schools.

What is the deal with Ursula, MND and Ursuline? All of these programs seem to be underachieving with no upside in sight. All three of these programs cant be having the same political coaching issues can they? Are local talented kids just staying at their respective public high schools now?

Not true. I've never read or heard of schools like Mt Union, Mt St Joe's, Centre, Wilmington, or many other D3 schools claim to be the academic peers of some of the Ivies. I don't believe that those schools try to be, either.

The UAA is composed of U of Chicago, Wash U in St. Louis, Emory, Brandeis, CWRU, Carnegie Mellon, NYU, and the University of Rochester. Some of those schools do compete with Ivies for academic excellence and it's not the schools that claim that. Do some research and you'll see. There's a reason that those schools can be so selective about who gets admitted. There's also a good reason that the grads of those institutions earn quite a bit more over their lifetimes compared to many people.
Calm down. It was a joke. Notice the emoji?

Funny though you do include Centre, who often is referred to as the "Harvard of the South."

But, on a serious note, there are tons of D3s who do claim to be more academically prestigious than what they actually are.

Centre is a top school. With that said, I don't know it ranks academically to Rochester. Both schools have completely different focus areas. Rochester's claim to fame is technical, while Centre is a liberal arts school. From a soccer standpoint, Centre is usually ranked high in D3 and made it to the Final 4 a few years ago. There's no way they should be lumped in with Mt Union, Mt St Joe, or Wilmington...

It is true that Rochester plays in a tough conference. Over the last few years, a number of schools in their conference have done well in the NCAA tournament.

If it's the player I'm thinking about, I'm happy for her, and hope that she does well with her college career. MND has suffered for years with inexperienced coaching. The school has more than it's fair share of talent over the years. They should have done much better. It sounds like players have finally had enough

Very well, I accept your invitation and will continue in said course. I have reviewed your post in detail and will double down on my position - Parents are the WORST!!

It is an embarrassing over-simplification (read: cop-out) to blame the coaching staff for the problems these (mostly) private schools are facing. Player entitlement seems to me to be the bigger issue, particularly at these big private schools, and especially if they believe this played-out narrative about the "poor instruction and lower level of play." I mean, get over yourself, Mia Hamm. Despite what Mommy and Daddy and your club coach may tell you, you are not too good for high school soccer. And as much as you may detest slumming it with your plebeian classmates, you may actually learn a thing or two about teamwork, leadership, and humility (**gasp**) by playing high school soccer. Worked out ok for Rose Lavelle and several other high profile soccer players from this area. But, then again, Mom and Dad do know more than these scrub high school coaches who are only out to "impart their control and influence." (LOL!) Mommy and Daddy should coach. That would solve all the problems.

Calm down. It was a joke. Notice the emoji?

Funny though you do include Centre, who often is referred to as the "Harvard of the South."

But, on a serious note, there are tons of D3s who do claim to be more academically prestigious than what they actually are.
Who's not calm? I'm calm. Irwin asked what is in Rochester and I explained the University of Rochester is there and I tried to convey the academic prowess of the school. I thought that was important since selecting a school based on its academic strength is far more important than its athletic strength. If an athlete can get both, that's even better.

I will say, though, that I have never heard of Centre being referred to as "Harvard of the South." While Centre is a fine school, it is not at the caliber of the aforementioned schools in the UAA Conference. The only two schools in the South that could probably be considered "Harvard of the South" are Vanderbilt and Rice. Even Duke and Emory can't make that claim so Centre certainly can't. Schools that use "Harvard of the South", "Harvard of the Midwest", or "Harvard of the (fill in your schools geographic location here)" are engaging in nothing more than marketing hype. The fact is that there is only one Harvard and the schools that could claim to be "Harvard of the (wherever)" don't need to because they stand on their own merit.

You're right, though, in stating that there are a lot of D3 schools claiming to have better academics than they actually do. Actually it doesn't matter what athletic division a school is because there are a lot of D1, D2, and NAIA schools that claim to have academic excellence when, in actuality, they don't. The difference, though, is that those schools that I mentioned that are in the UAA Conference are a member of that conference because of the high quality of the academics. If the academic standing and excellence of a school in the conference started slipping, or if a school started admitting scholar-athletes that were not good scholars, it would find itself no longer in the conference. The Ivy League, NESCAC, and Patriot League are much the same. Schools in those leagues, as well as the UAA, have very strong academic reputations and adhere strongly to the ideal of the "scholar-athlete", with the emphasis on "scholar." Schools in those conferences also have an academic index that ensures athletes are truly representative of and integrated with the rest of the student body. A school in those conferences couldn't, as you say, "claim to be more academically prestigious than what they actually are."

Enough of the academic merits or strengths of colleges. This is supposed to be a thread about the upcoming fall season.

Last edited:
As I have said before I think the D1 State champ comes out of the north this yr. With MC choosing not to play for Beavercreek this year it really hurts the South’s chances. Most of the Cinci teams are not strong enough to make a real push IMO. I know most are on the LW train, but I am not even sure that they are the best Lakota team right now. KD is a huge get for the program, but any coach with half a brain will key on her to try to limit her. There is no team that has a defender that can stop her by themselves, but I’m sure teams will try to mark her to make her less effective. If I was a better which I am not my money would be on Mason in the GMC.

There was a "Super 6" Scrimmage this past weekend with Toledo Notre Dame, Strongsville, Powell Olentangy Liberty, Big Walnut, Mason, and Whitehouse Anthony Wayne. From what I could tell (and I'm a newbie to OSHAA girls soccer), Strongsville was tough. Olentangy needed some work. Mason looked good. Big Walnut looked pretty good as well. Anthony Wayne looks strong too. They have 90+ girls in their program.

D2
Indian Hill - even losing a dynamite class and one of the best players to ever come through Cincinnati, still should be the team to beat.
Summit - reloads every year - should be very good.
Badin, Ross, Wyoming should round out the top 5, in whatever order. IH and Summit should be in a class by themselves until they have to play Alter

D3
CCD - after so many years waiting to win a state championship, they have a great chance to repeat.
Mariemont - perennial underachievers but could make a run with a solid group. No stars, but will work teams into the ground
Madeira - always in the hunt. Average Madeira teams have surprised some of the best every year - this one’s no different. He gets more out of his teams than most coaches ever could

A few teams could surprise the top 3 - CHCA, Reading, ??

Anthony Wayne looks strong too. They have 90+ girls in their program.
They beat Beavercreek 4-1 last night in a scrimmage. AW looks solid. They have a couple speedy finishers and a very good keeper. Like I said before, Beavercreek defense is unsettled with two of there studs on the back line graduated Along with a serviceable GK. Their replacements will take time to gel as well as finding their identity up front. The have an Elite AMF in D but they’ll need someone that can play with her on top to combine which is missing this season. Recall that last year Beavercreek gave up 7 goals all season which includes 2 in the final and they scored 2nd highest goals in State history. Both back AND front line are substantially degraded from last year.