Dublin Coffman Rocks 2020

I'm still not 100% what to make of Marysville other than to say if you are an undersized team like Berlin is you are going to struggle greatly. These D1 schools should match up better with them size/depth-wise and I'll just again say that Berlin GREATLY underperformed in this game. Marysville broke big runs, yes, partially because they were so dominant blocking and controlling the line.

But Berlin is also the POOREST tackling team in central Ohio, there were countless plays where players were in position to make a play and should have, but didn't. If we didn't already know how bad a tackling team they are, you might credit the RBs for being able to run thru tackles, and I'm sure it was a little of both, but a better tackling defense with size is going to shut these guys down.

Defensively, if you are 1 dimensional with the run and can't handle their superior size, its going to be a long evening for you. But there's a long list of teams in R2 that shouldn't have that problem when you look at Coffman, Liberty, Northmont, Springfield, Wayne (dont know anything about Perrysburg). While some credit is due to Marysville's defense, again, Berlin's normally very reliable QB was just completely off on over half his throws, even simple ones he's made several times already this season. If you have a QB and he shows up, I think Marysville isn't that tall a task.

net-net, while a tough out and will make you black and blue, I will be surprised if they make the final 4 in this region. There are at least 6 teams that should beat them.
I agree with this assessment 100%. If you can load the box and stuff Marysville’s run game, it’s hard for them to move the ball. I do believe they can win their first playoff game but from there on I have my doubts. I will be interested to see how the Central Ohio schools matchup with the Dayton area schools.

Some very interesting results and surprises in week 5 to be sure , but one that on it's face doesn't look too surprising but looking deeper than that it is very interesting and not expected.

Hilliard Davidson went 204 straight games without giving up 40 + points. Not one game where the wheels just fell off with multiple bad things happening. . Turnovers in terrible places , Kick returns, pick Sixes { OK that was a reach } scoops and scores, blocked kicks etc. They have been outscored 94-7 the last two weeks . Giving up 40 both games. So it took 204 games for a team to finally put it on them big , but now it happens two weeks in a row? Now I had Liberty covering the 23 point Cal Preps line by a smidge . Looking at the game that margin was more indicative because unlike the Coffman game where Davidson was out gained by about 480 yards. this one was by a modest 160 yards so the 38 point margin doesn't look quite right , especially when it's involving a clock churning team like Davidson. Davidson once again was unable to line up and run the ball effectively at all .

What they did do is break some kind of other streak that may be one of the couple Davidson " Historians " can help me with. They passed for more yards than they ran it which hasn't happened in the last 2 decades that I can remember . Now when White came to Davidson , he did pass the ball more, or 'some" . That took a few years to change where the goal seemed to evolve to not attempt a pass at all . Another this era record is the 17 passes attempted . When was the last time they threw it 17 times ? 9-17 for 126 yards is a passing line that Coffman has had multiple times the last few years where they have had good running backs and running games . Davidson doesn't have that type of running game this year and it's is a glaring weakness . Well unless they are going up against a fellow Hilliard School that is . They haven't gotten it done vs Liberty Coffman and Orange . A new era indeed over at Davidson.

Darby took care of business pretty much the way I envisioned over YOTW who is not participating in the play-offs . Needed win for the Panthers as they head to a suddenly flying a bit higher Jerome club .

Hats off to Westy North who is 4-1 in an underrated story of the season. They were a late 0 something yard drive by the very talented Ibbies of Westy South away from being 5-0 . Beat Big Nut another team doing better than they have in a while who was also 3-1 heading in . I grabbed the three points with Westy North and they won by three { 17-14 } with a FG in the waning seconds.

Pick C named the score getting up 35 with Lancaster continuing to employ the stuck Pig style offense { Dive after dive bleeding clock} . Thought grabbing the 46 was the only play here . Worked out I guess as PC continues to be easily the best team in CO with very few capable of playing with them .

Gahanna crushed Grove City { 41-0 } a game I like quite a bit and easily covered the spread in , but I figured GC would compete some. They didn't . They took the week off much like the Lions did the week before . Line was only 6 points . Pretty easy decision . Gahanna wasn't as bad as the West Central result suggested and obviously took it out on the City Grovers ".

Speaking of easy calls I really like grabbing the 17 in the Orange -Bradley game. The Jags have to be one of if not the biggest disappointments in CO . Scoring 11 a game through 4 with enough talent to do much better than that , and just not playing at a consistent high level it seemed they might be capable of . They finally scored a nice handful of points going over 30 for the first time , got a good break on the tipped pass late that seemed to give them a much needed victory , after a season devoid of good breaks , and then lose the game anyway with under 15 seconds on a PERFECT hook and ladder play , the best one since Jerome pulled one off really late to beat Scioto at the final gun. OUCH !! Nice cover though , called the margin pretty much on the button and if able would have used both hands to bet this one with the Jags grabbing that number.

Marysville -Berlin Kramer covered well as he was there . M-Ville is a big physical team who is limited in terms of offensive diversity if you will, BUT when I say no one wants to have to play them in the play-offs doesn't mean they are a top favorite to win the region, but rather having to play them means you will have to strap it up tight , play a very physical game that won't be real comfortable and which may take a toll the next week if you win . This game was my only loss vs. the Cal preps line this week.

PN was another pretty clear one to see.PN is definitely another team that many won't want to see in R-3 . I know the PC faithful aren't buying it , but I think they play again and the game will be different. Not the winner of the game but the way the game is played and the margin . Laying 18 vs NA was a tough number to swallow but there was more than enough evidence that suggested that NA would give up points and wouldn't be able to match this class scoring themselves. Nice cover.

Kramer went over the DJ-Tangy game , but this one as he said basically came down to kids being kids and not handling success as well as they might want. SOMETHING I hit on before the games were played. Sometimes it is hard to get kids heads out of the clouds and to not be overconfident or come out a bit flat thinking everything is going to go their way because it has bene for a few weeks in a row. Huge win for Jerome no question . NO FLUKE , solid win . Tangy will still be a tough out in D-2 R-7 , this result doesn't change that . In fact I agree that sometimes a loss is a needed wake up call to get your team to re-focus and correct some things that may be you didn't realize needed to be improved upon due to winning games comfortably .

More thoughts on week 5 heading into the last week of the regular season .[Gulp} in this most unlike of any other season in Ohio { and other states} High school football season history.

I'm still not 100% what to make of Marysville other than to say if you are an undersized team like Berlin is you are going to struggle greatly. These D1 schools should match up better with them size/depth-wise and I'll just again say that Berlin GREATLY underperformed in this game. Marysville broke big runs, yes, partially because they were so dominant blocking and controlling the line.

But Berlin is also the POOREST tackling team in central Ohio, there were countless plays where players were in position to make a play and should have, but didn't. If we didn't already know how bad a tackling team they are, you might credit the RBs for being able to run thru tackles, and I'm sure it was a little of both, but a better tackling defense with size is going to shut these guys down.

Defensively, if you are 1 dimensional with the run and can't handle their superior size, its going to be a long evening for you. But there's a long list of teams in R2 that shouldn't have that problem when you look at Coffman, Liberty, Northmont, Springfield, Wayne (dont know anything about Perrysburg). While some credit is due to Marysville's defense, again, Berlin's normally very reliable QB was just completely off on over half his throws, even simple ones he's made several times already this season. If you have a QB and he shows up, I think Marysville isn't that tall a task.

net-net, while a tough out and will make you black and blue, I will be surprised if they make the final 4 in this region. There are at least 6 teams that should beat them.

I agree that the teams you mentioned wouldn't have the same problem with M-Ville, but having seen them up close last year and with the kids they brought back this year , playing them will exact a certain physical toll on you . My feeling is you just want to may be have someone else take them out . I agree winning that second game would be may be too tall a task for M-Ville if that handful of teams you mentioned is their Regional Quarter opponent , they can give you a few moments scare potentially with that style and the pace of the game. Perrysburg is a team Coffman has seen three times since 2017 .

2017 45-0
2018 42-21
2019 45-14 [ Round one play-offs} .

P-burg is 5-0 and is ranked first in R-2 per Joe Eitel. BUT , this is their wins

D-2 Springfield 45-18
D-2 Anthony Wayne 27-24 [ Not the same AW of the last couple years}
D-3 Sylvania Southview - 54-0 { Terrible program}
D-4 Napoleon - 31-14
D-3 Bowling Green 41-14 both Nap and BG are 4-1 which gives them a small edge over Coffman Harbin wise but clearly not on the field of play.

UA O-Line won the battle with Rocks D-Line , some missed tackles in the second level , good game plan by UA , but not quite enough passing may be . Rocks had Threats with 150 yards rushing but only 5 yards receiving. Mathews went for just over 100 yards rushing and about 80 passing. Game trajectory might have looked different if Rock shad tied it early on at 7-7 instead of getting stopped on 4th and one at the one after a lengthy drive. Second time Rocks have overcome a 14-0 deficit .

I watched the game on Youtube. UA got the ball back with just under 2 min left and down 17-14. First play of that drive QB gets hurt and is out rest of the game. UA down to 3rd string QB. He could not throw at all and the last TD was actually a shame for how well UA played. With that being said, Coffman always finds a way to win.

I think UA could be a tough out with a 2-4 record (if they manage to beat Davidson, which they never seem to do). If UA played West.North schedule they would go 5-1 or 6-0. I think they can beat anyone from the #6 seed down. We will see what the coaches do with them. It all rides on having a QB able to play and take pressure off Gresock.

Last edited:
I agree that the teams you mentioned wouldn't have the same problem with M-Ville, but having seen them up close last year and with the kids they brought back this year , playing them will exact a certain physical toll on you . My feeling is you just want to may be have someone else take them out . I agree winning that second game would be may be too tall a task for M-Ville if that handful of teams you mentioned is their Regional Quarter opponent , they can give you a few moments scare potentially with that style and the pace of the game. Perrysburg is a team Coffman has seen three times since 2017 .

2017 45-0
2018 42-21
2019 45-14 [ Round one play-offs} .

P-burg is 5-0 and is ranked first in R-2 per Joe Eitel. BUT , this is their wins

D-2 Springfield 45-18
D-2 Anthony Wayne 27-24 [ Not the same AW of the last couple years}
D-3 Sylvania Southview - 54-0 { Terrible program}
D-4 Napoleon - 31-14
D-3 Bowling Green 41-14 both Nap and BG are 4-1 which gives them a small edge over Coffman Harbin wise but clearly not on the field of play.

Perryburg honestly deserves the #8 seed in D1 R2. Lets see if the coaches have the guts to put them there. I am guessing they get #4 or #5.

I watched the game on Youtube. UA got the ball back with just under 2 min left and down 17-14. First play of that drive QB gets hurt and is out rest of the game. UA down to 3rd string QB. He could not throw at all and the last TD was actually a shame for how well UA played. With that being said, Coffman always finds a way to win.

I think UA could be a tough out with a 2-4 record (if they manage to beat Davidson, which they never seem to do). If UA played West.North schedule they would go 5-1 or 6-0. I think they can beat anyone from the #6 seed down. We will see what the coaches do with them. It all rides on having a QB able to play and take pressure off Gresock.

As you saw I kind of ripped the guy who claimed UA was a 'BAD " team as not knowing what he was talking about . UA bit by the broken collarbone QB bug again , Sass a couple years ago and now Monin . thought they may have missed a helmet to helmet on Coffman on that play that knocked the kid out . It happens , they miss them sometimes . Two years ago in the M-Ville Coffman game there was three helmet to helmet hits, Two by M-Ville and one by Coffman . They called the one on Coffman and missed the two on M-Ville. If UA had QB 1 they beat Davidson comfortably , if they have QB-2 they win . QB 3? Toss up . You guys beat them last year with HD's current coach as you know . Saw Davidson in person, and UA on the stream on Saturday. UA is better .Cal Preps has them at a 14 point fav over HD. Hopefully QB -2 can go . he's a good looking Soph. Coffman does have a knack for winning the 4th quarter against UA for many years running . Coffman will be in MAJOR rebuild next year , so UA will be the favorite.

If any Rocks fans want to see the complete stream of the UA game ,found the UA full game stream on You tube where you can always just type in Dublin Coffman football { tons of old footage , short highlight clips storied rivals archives etc.} A lot Rocks fans in these spaces reside elsewhere and this is a good chance to view a full game.

Week six is going to interesting seeing as though seeding and brackets will be up by the time the games kick off . Still want to play well and in Coffman's case win the league out right and not share it with the Liberty- Orange winner. 'Should" take care of Bradley but Bradley ahs always had more talent than they have shown on the field and was pretty even with Orange . They finally scored some points and they seem to be getting TE and Wisconsin commit Pugh really involved in the passing game. Not sure why they are doing the seeding and brackets this early seeing there is only 6 games. In other sports they do this , but there is a full season to go by , 20 something games in many cases. It will be very interesting to see how they seed some teams playing lesser schedules and or are just not as strong as other teams but have the record. Perrysburg comes to mind . They will be 6-0 , but truth be told they are at best a number 8 seed IMO and others who know the teams fairly well.

Eitel has P-Burg 1st in the region . P-Burg has beaten teams in lower divisions { a few d-3's and even a D-4} , Findlay is in the top 5 having two games canceled including a sure loss to Toledo Central Catholic. I would say they probably fall out of the top 8 or 9.

Some teams lose an opportunity to get a better seed by not having the last game count. Jerome playing Darby trying to get to 3-3 , would look better , Orange trying to get to 4-2 playing Liberty . Beating them would give them a boost . Wayne at 4-1 playing 5-0 Northmont,? Yes league title implications of course, BUT Wayne at 5-1 just off of beating an undefeated team? They would move up . Northmont finishes at 6-0 they are a one or a two obviously. Coffman and Northmont at 6-0 would be one and two, and would ensure each IF they keep winning to be home through a regional final and if they played it would be at a neutral site { London?} . Of course Wayne Springfield Liberty and a few others will have something to say about that idea .

Coffman is once again priced higher than a beachfront hotel room on a fourth of July weekend. I will take Bradley with the 34 points thank you . I am guessing Pasteur would be closer to about a 18-20 point spread. Cal Preps has been pretty accurate on some of these really inflated lines and usually has a nice competition with Louie Pasteur , but I always think Louie's lines are a bit sharper . 9-1 week gets the profits firmly in the black . Most seasons seem to follow a basic pattern . of course a 10 week season without a certain play-off berth provides a different dynamic , I usually tread a bit the first couple weeks adn then have a breakout week . Last year a bad week was mixed in there, but at the end it ended up where we usually do , a bit over 60 percent , high 50's have been the lowest and closer to mid 60 the apex going against the Line .

Games I am looking at include

Coffman - -34 HB
M-Ville - 2 Olentangy
Berlin - 22 At YOTW
Jerome - 11 Darby
UA - 14 At Davidson
Liberty - 4 At Orange
Pick C - 39 Burg
Pick N -23 Gahanna
Westy C - 18 New Albany
Westy N - 14 At Kilbourne
Scioto - 2 Big Nut

Wayne Northmont is another one that is very interesting in an out of area game

If any Rocks fans want to see the complete stream of the UA game ,found the UA full game stream on You tube where you can always just type in Dublin Coffman football { tons of old footage , short highlight clips storied rivals archives etc.} A lot Rocks fans in these spaces reside elsewhere and this is a good chance to view a full game.

Week six is going to interesting seeing as though seeding and brackets will be up by the time the games kick off . Still want to play well and in Coffman's case win the league out right and not share it with the Liberty- Orange winner. 'Should" take care of Bradley but Bradley ahs always had more talent than they have shown on the field and was pretty even with Orange . They finally scored some points and they seem to be getting TE and Wisconsin commit Pugh really involved in the passing game. Not sure why they are doing the seeding and brackets this early seeing there is only 6 games. In other sports they do this , but there is a full season to go by , 20 something games in many cases. It will be very interesting to see how they seed some teams playing lesser schedules and or are just not as strong as other teams but have the record. Perrysburg comes to mind . They will be 6-0 , but truth be told they are at best a number 8 seed IMO and others who know the teams fairly well.

Eitel has P-Burg 1st in the region . P-Burg has beaten teams in lower divisions { a few d-3's and even a D-4} , Findlay is in the top 5 having two games canceled including a sure loss to Toledo Central Catholic. I would say they probably fall out of the top 8 or 9.

Some teams lose an opportunity to get a better seed by not having the last game count. Jerome playing Darby trying to get to 3-3 , would look better , Orange trying to get to 4-2 playing Liberty . Beating them would give them a boost . Wayne at 4-1 playing 5-0 Northmont,? Yes league title implications of course, BUT Wayne at 5-1 just off of beating an undefeated team? They would move up . Northmont finishes at 6-0 they are a one or a two obviously. Coffman and Northmont at 6-0 would be one and two, and would ensure each IF they keep winning to be home through a regional final and if they played it would be at a neutral site { London?} . Of course Wayne Springfield Liberty and a few others will have something to say about that idea .

Coffman is once again priced higher than a beachfront hotel room on a fourth of July weekend. I will take Bradley with the 34 points thank you . I am guessing Pasteur would be closer to about a 18-20 point spread. Cal Preps has been pretty accurate on some of these really inflated lines and usually has a nice competition with Louie Pasteur , but I always think Louie's lines are a bit sharper . 9-1 week gets the profits firmly in the black . Most seasons seem to follow a basic pattern . of course a 10 week season without a certain play-off berth provides a different dynamic , I usually tread a bit the first couple weeks adn then have a breakout week . Last year a bad week was mixed in there, but at the end it ended up where we usually do , a bit over 60 percent , high 50's have been the lowest and closer to mid 60 the apex going against the Line .

Games I am looking at include

Coffman - -34 HB
M-Ville - 2 Olentangy
Berlin - 22 At YOTW
Jerome - 11 Darby
UA - 14 At Davidson
Liberty - 4 At Orange
Pick C - 39 Burg
Pick N -23 Gahanna
Westy C - 18 New Albany
Westy N - 14 At Kilbourne
Scioto - 2 Big Nut

Wayne Northmont is another one that is very interesting in an out of area game
Some interesting lines
I haven’t seen much of the hilliards this year. Must be a huge down year. The PN and west central lines are interesting. Not sure what gahanna team shows up and new Albany got beat up physically last Friday. Do they have anything left in the tank

As we head to the last week of the " Regular" season we have another week unlike any other we have seen before. In other sports , seedings to come out before the last games are played in the regular season. Of course this is a different dynamic with everyone always getting into the play-offs AND plenty of games being played previously . This year in football with only six or LESS games played the seeding will be finalized before the last game is played . Week 10 has always been a week that had de facto play-off games . Actually weeks 7- 10 has them as well.

So like week one where it was pretty hard to really k ow what you might be getting , with teams having different off-season plans, restrictions , lack of scrimmages and total number of practices etc. this week offers an unknown quality to it where besides league titles , not much else is at stake really. Health ? I know that is one the mind of many coaches of course. Just one of those years that the normal is the abnormal and I don't just mean High school football in Ohio of course.

So what to do wit this weeks games ? I am not even going to pretend to look at them in the way I normally would. I look at guessing at motivations and what coaches will do and what teams may show up and which ones may just take it as a scrimmage tying to meet other objectives besides the normal just doing what puts your team in the best position to win the ballgame . Short concise thoughts ? I don't so do concise too well obviously , but I'll give it a try and type what comes mind in a less cumbersome stream.

Week 6

Gahanna at Pick North - CP line PN -23

PN is rolling, feeling better about themselves than Narcissus walking by a pool of shimmering water. Will the refection put them into an overconfident trance and make their performance less than stellar? Not likely . I think PN got overly judged by week one when they were using a different QB , had just lost their war horse and leader Super Jack Sawyer , and got manhandled a bit . The team that throttled them was only the odds on favorite to win their third state title in 4 years. Do you really feel that bad about yourselves if you the hottest girl in school averts her glance and or passes through you in the hallway? No , most don't , you think there are perfectly cute girls who will talk to me . PN isn't a ten , they are a solid 8 at this point though.

Playing a physical brand of football on offense and defense with the type of talent only a select few programs wouldn't be jealous of , a three headed monster running game and feeling as confident as they have as a program in a couple years . That 4 score beatdown a distant memory that is fading faster than that summer fling after leaving the beach. The PN brand since Jimmy Football has been , we will figure out the QB thing by camp and what OHASSA tells us what is and who is legal to play for us . Who plays next year? Check back on August 1st. Gilbert is that straw that stirs a good talented drink. Lawrence and Green should be shifty and ultimately run downhill and get a margin in the first half . What happens after that?

Can Gahanna make enough plays and score enough points to cover this line? Blackman can ball , how interested is PN in containing him ? Will they substitute liberally in the second half and be content winning by 17 instead of 27?

May be Jordan Lowery , the brother of Gahanna /PN , PN/ Gahanna QB Mike Lowery will make a big play in the second half now that he is back at Gahanna after being at PN .

Do the Lowery's have dual residence ? Is half their house painted darker blue and the other half a lighter hue of blue? Gold? Jordan like Mike has probably started driving to the wrong school a time or two. I say he scores here for the Lighter shaded team where he plays this year and gets the backdoor cover? Wouldn't bet this one with cans that you get 10 cents back for returning . Failed my first being concise 101 quiz .

PN 38 Gahanna 17

Week 6 Cont.

Full disclosure , Just typed in Week 10 , Last 'regular ": season game feel ? Nah nothing regular about it , but it's better than a blank screen .

Liberty at Orange - CP Line OL - 4

Orange has won the last two years . Tough physical ballgames. Both can share the league title if Coffman gets upset by Bradley . IF they win . Is that much if any incentive ? Not really . Coaches will sometimes tell you what's on their mind if you listen carefully or just well listen . The scoreboard show interviews sometimes let you know what's on their mind , and a comment or two in the paper.

Steve Hale knows this game has been a physical battle that sometimes can leave some players battered bruised or hurt . Hale went through the type of once in a handful of years injury bug last year and that memory is probably lingering like an annoying cold. He said as much this week. Orange has some momentum now having won their last couple , including last weeks miracle hook and ladder masterpiece. Liberty brand is numbers , no one plays two ways , we will wear on you with sed numbers and some size up front . Senior group is successful , solid , and large. Kenley is one of the top handful of RB's in the area no doubt. Orange QB Laisure in a really good athlete and tough . The difference here I believe will be Liberty's better balance , more depth and more incentive. That's about it . Teacher says this pop quiz went better and wrote good improvement in the margin . More concise but still room for further improvement .

Liberty 24 Orange 17

Week 6 Cont.

Darby at Jerome - CP Line DJ - 11

HUGE win for the Country Clubbers last week where they took down a bit too satisfied with themselves Tangy Braves club. Jerome has talent, hasn't played as well as they can at times but they have moved the ball well at times and while younger on defense holding Tangy to 16 is a nice effort to be sure. Darby is hard to figure out . Their 31 points scored on Marysville is still being studied by footballologists in some lab somewhere. Losing to Davidson is also making some lab techs scratch their heads albeit with much less curiosity.

Darby lost to Olentangy by 31 in a what can will go wrong type debacle, and the Country Clubbers clubbed the Braves by 11 . Transitive property folks of which we have out here in these spaces along with those who love to judge teams on one result without looking at any context. Nature of the beast . This line came out a bit heavy . I get it . i see why it is, BUT the bottom line is Jerome has the inconsistency that younger teams exhibit sometimes, and the Celts defense is on the young side and seeing another type of offense they haven't seen before.

I see the Panthers getting some points here, may be not enough to win the ballgame but will be in it for a longer while . Jerome is a more diverse , better balanced football team . But Off of that huge win and the defense seeing so many different types of offenses ? Close one in Union County ?

DJ 24 Darby 17

Darby is hard to figure out . Their 31 points scored on Marysville is still being studied by footballologists in some lab somewhere.

I have been off Yappi since COVID shut things down.

But the answer to this question is mistakes. Monarchs fell behind quickly fumbling the opening kickoff, muffing an onside kickoff and an interception returned to the 5, to be down 24-7 after one. Monarchs fought back to pull ahead 28-24 only to fumble and give Darby a short field again with just over a minute to go which Darby took advantage of and scored the winning touchdown with :19 seconds remaining.

Some lessons were learned with that game and the Monarchs have played hard and avoided or fought thru mistakes since then.

This weeks game with Olentangy of Lewis Center should be interesting. If the Monarchs can play with the right emotion and discipline I think they win big. If they let the emotions of a big game and a conference title get in their heads it could be a different story.

I have been off Yappi since COVID shut things down.

But the answer to this question is mistakes. Monarchs fell behind quickly fumbling the opening kickoff, muffing an onside kickoff and an interception returned to the 5, to be down 24-7 after one. Monarchs fought back to pull ahead 28-24 only to fumble and give Darby a short field again with just over a minute to go which Darby took advantage of and scored the winning touchdown with :19 seconds remaining.

Some lessons were learned with that game and the Monarchs have played hard and avoided or fought thru mistakes since then.

This weeks game with Olentangy of Lewis Center should be interesting. If the Monarchs can play with the right emotion and discipline I think they win big. If they let the emotions of a big game and a conference title get in their heads it could be a different story.

Thanks for that. I remember reading a summary and that it was a case of whatever could go wrong actually did go wrong . Kind of fluky . Good luck in the play-offs, I think the Monarchs have an upset in them and will be a tough out for anyone they may play . . I think they can beat Tangy , but Tangy is good against the run , they have some trouble vs .the pass which M-Ville doesn't really do much of. Battle Royale up front .

Week 6 Cont.

R-Burg at Pick Central - CP Line PC -39 Thursday

Lenkuhster got 46 ? Burg gets 39 ? PC separation from the pack is impressive . I mean it has come quickly , a couple years ago these lines would have ben unthinkable . PC needs some type of challenge , but it won'[t likely get one until Pick North is across from them in the regional final . Some PC fans are absurdly confident and for good reason . But I draw the line at the suggestion that win every regional game by 40 + . I really believe Gilbert is that big a difference maker in that expected match-up . PC still wins but it isn't a walkover . This one will be . Burg defense will give up about 4 Td's in the first half , may be 5 and then a fast moving clock and mercy will take place . No need to overthink this one . Another cover for a Huge underdog vs. PC.

PC 42 - Burg 6

Upper Arlington at Davidson - CP Line UA - 14

I don't know if QB Hayek comes back this week. Won't matter in who wins the game IMO. BUT it may mean a cover or not for the Bears of this line . Don't want to pile on a struggling Davidson team but I saw some Liberty -HD footage and it was really bad . Not as big a yardage difference and as much a total domination as Coffman put on them but HD looked unathletic not even quick never mind fast and not real physical. Just not a lot going on there at this point in any area. They can't run it against good defenses and they can't stop the run which will get them beat here no matter who the QB is really . I'll guess Hayek goes ? Next week a really interesting match-up { Rematch }with Orange awaits UA and Davidson will end it's season next week vs. Pick North in a probable running clock situation .

Upper Arlington 28 HD 10

Week 6 Cont.

R-Burg at Pick Central - CP Line PC -39 Thursday

Lenkuhster got 46 ? Burg gets 39 ? PC separation from the pack is impressive . I mean it has come quickly , a couple years ago these lines would have ben unthinkable . PC needs some type of challenge , but it won'[t likely get one until Pick North is across from them in the regional final . Some PC fans are absurdly confident and for good reason . But I draw the line at the suggestion that win every regional game by 40 + . I really believe Gilbert is that big a difference maker in that expected match-up . PC still wins but it isn't a walkover . This one will be . Burg defense will give up about 4 Td's in the first half , may be 5 and then a fast moving clock and mercy will take place . No need to overthink this one . Another cover for a Huge underdog vs. PC.

PC 42 - Burg 6

Central up 38-0 just before halftime. This is bordering on 1st degree assault. Hope the Franklin county attorney is not watching this game on TV.

PC game went almost exactly as I and many assumed in the first half , running clock to start the 3rd. The more scary thing with PC and this has been true in other less dominant years , you can actually paly pretty well snap for snap but still be behind a few scores because they are so good at returning not only kicks but interceptions as well. PC put the game away pretty early with some good punt returns .

Week 6 Cont.

New Albany at Westerville Central - CP Line WC - 18

Seen a lot of 18-19 point spreads this year from Cal Preps . Makes you go the three TD margin thought , yea or nay. Often it is a margin that will be determined in the 4th quarter. But there have been a bunch of blowouts as well when games have been priced like this . Sometimes a program starts the year and wins a couple games but you can kind of see that when they step up in class they may struggle. NA is one of these teams. Beat mistake prone Lancaster in week one by a TD. Got by an inferior Grove City team but didn't blow them out { 23-7 } . Gahanna provided a test of what they had , NA passed the test on offense but the defense looked vulnerable. Westland provided no challenge. { 49-0} which brought them to a final exam in terms of how legit they would be in the play-offs . They failed it . PN ran roughshod over them proving the defensive problems sown in the Gahanna game wasn't fake news.

Westy Central has a very good Senior class which has been talked about over there for a while, I watched a bit of the scrimmage they had with Coffman from high up in the stands at the stadium watching the varsity scrimmage in 2017. WC won that scrimmage. They also got beat by North. but in a much more competitive game . They shut out Gahanna . The order in R-3 is as follows

PC

PN

WC - Then everyone else under that is at a bit lower level , may be not strong enough or experienced enough, not diverse enough offensively . Whatever it may be that is a clear order here. NA is on the lower end of the best of the rest . That will show here , provided WC is interested , i think they will be and their defense should get them to cover this number even if the offense stumbles a bit.

WC 37 NA 13

Berlin at Ye Olde Tommy W - CP Line Berlin - 22

Berlin had a great run of prolific offensive numbers come to a grinding halt last week from a rough and tumble BIG Marysville squad .The kind of game that shakes your confidence to your core .If you let it that is .Not sure what the mind set is here , BUT it does undoubtedly include some level of doubt or some level of lost confidence. They put up these number on some good programs , [Liberty , Tangy , Jerome and Darby } . YOTW is tailor made for these type of situations however.

How bad has things gone for the Cards? Since week 2's 4th quarter they have been outscored by 123 points . 13 quarters of football . So just under 10 points a quarter . That's not good. Berlin will get back on track here and score early and often. Berlin will play in the play-offs in R- 7 where they will bury Whitehall in round one before getting into the ring with a big boy . YOTW opted out of the play-offs and will play and probably beat Westland next week. Not before they take one more beating though . They will score here as they did last week {14 vs.Darby } and just may be can get a cover here? Flip that coin?

Berlin 38 YOTW 14 - Yes the coin landed on it's edge , This is a week like no other in terms of the last week of the regular season means nothing in the seeding process , so why not try to thread this one as a PUSH ? Even the coin knows this is a most different type of season , which of course is something to be grateful about since having no season was a real possibility .

Week 6 Cont.

Big Walnut at Dub Scioto - CP Line DS - 2

I have the difference between the clubs at about 9 points. That enough to dive in usually. The sawmill express is back and operating smoothly. Since getting behind 21-0 to Canal and coming back to beat them , the Irish have outscored opponents 97-0 . Now Franklin Heights and Delaware are no great shakes obviously , but the 10 quarter run is damn impressive. Two straight shutouts for the Irish as well . Big Nut lost a really tough 3 point decision to Westy North who is one of the best story's of the year. New Albany - Westy North is going to be an interesting round one game next week.

Nut has had a similar year in some respects to Scioto but again after looking at some numbers and personnel , the Irish have the edge here and I feel will keep the train rolling . Jenkins is legit at QB and a difference maker. He will be the difference here.

Scioto 27 Big Nut 16

Week 6 Cont.

Olentangy at Marysville - CP Line M-Ville - 2

This is one that may be Kramer can help us with a bit. It is very interesting , in terms of the stakes for the league title , and the strength on strength aspect of the match-up. Not going to go into much detail due to time constraint as usual on Fridays , but I know Kramer has seen more than some tape and spliced highlights of the teams. His Bears have played both . M-Ville has played one mistake filled game that resulted in loss at the end of the game to Darby. Been very solid after that. Tangy won a couple closer ones with district rivals Berlin and Orange but had their one surprising result last week vs Jerome . Tangy has had a few issues with defending the pass . That won't be a problem here. The Monarchs and Marysville aren't as run only coaching legend Brian White once said , ' A spread community" . They want to run it consistently and wear you down. Tangy is good at stopping the run . Tangy also runs it more this year but in this one they want to may be pass a bit to score enough to win . M-Ville handles Jerome well , Jerome outplayed Tangy last week. Darby beats M-Ville, Tangy rips apart Darby a bit .? What to do ? Both come out hard and play well is my guess. A little help Kramer ?

M-ville 20 Olentangy 17

Week 6 Cont.

Olentangy at Marysville - CP Line M-Ville - 2

This is one that may be Kramer can help us with a bit. It is very interesting , in terms of the stakes for the league title , and the strength on strength aspect of the match-up. Not going to go into much detail due to time constraint as usual on Fridays , but I know Kramer has seen more than some tape and spliced highlights of the teams. His Bears have played both . M-Ville has played one mistake filled game that resulted in loss at the end of the game to Darby. Been very solid after that. Tangy won a couple closer ones with district rivals Berlin and Orange but had their one surprising result last week vs Jerome . Tangy has had a few issues with defending the pass . That won't be a problem here. The Monarchs and Marysville aren't as run only coaching legend Brian White once said , ' A spread community" . They want to run it consistently and wear you down. Tangy is good at stopping the run . Tangy also runs it more this year but in this one they want to may be pass a bit to score enough to win . M-Ville handles Jerome well , Jerome outplayed Tangy last week. Darby beats M-Ville, Tangy rips apart Darby a bit .? What to do ? Both come out hard and play well is my guess. A little help Kramer ?

M-ville 20 Olentangy 17

Very interested seeing Marysville. This could b potential game with northmont. Not counting my chickens before they hatch. Just a possibility. Other than Coffman I don’t know how lot these other teams look. I’d imagine Coffman walks through their first 2 games then play Springfield B my guess. That would b good game but I’ll give Coffman the edge. Just excited to see lot good games with them all being live streamed

Marysville definitely has a size advantage on Olentangy but not nearly the same one they had over Berlin. Marysville was largely ineffective in the Berlin game and had a very low success rate on plays overall. They scored 4 TDs on run plays where Berlin had multiple kids in position to make tackles and couldn't and the ball carrier exploded for 60 yards. Berlin also did an extremely poor job defending the jet/wing/sweep option of their WingT offense.

Olentangy's run D will be MUCH better both in terms of tackling and perimeter defense and has a vastly superior LB corp. It is still possible there will be some holes there based on MVilles size advantage and they will likely have some success moving the ball, but the difference is once they reach the second level Tangy will clean things up much better.

On the other side of the ball, it's a lot tougher to know what to expect. Tangy has 4 different potential ball carriers who must be respected and the dangerous/deceptive Oregon-style running attack, and they have some decent linemen getting college looks like OSU Coach Wilson's son. Ultimately I think they are going to need to throw the ball to win and have some success on misdirection plays. They do have an extremely good FG kicker as well, and he could be the difference here.

IMO this has all the makings of a 16-13 game that could go either way.

Marysville definitely has a size advantage on Olentangy but not nearly the same one they had over Berlin. Marysville was largely ineffective in the Berlin game and had a very low success rate on plays overall. They scored 4 TDs on run plays where Berlin had multiple kids in position to make tackles and couldn't and the ball carrier exploded for 60 yards. Berlin also did an extremely poor job defending the jet/wing/sweep option of their WingT offense.

Olentangy's run D will be MUCH better both in terms of tackling and perimeter defense and has a vastly superior LB corp. It is still possible there will be some holes there based on MVilles size advantage and they will likely have some success moving the ball, but the difference is once they reach the second level Tangy will clean things up much better.

On the other side of the ball, it's a lot tougher to know what to expect. Tangy has 4 different potential ball carriers who must be respected and the dangerous/deceptive Oregon-style running attack, and they have some decent linemen getting college looks like OSU Coach Wilson's son. Ultimately I think they are going to need to throw the ball to win and have some success on misdirection plays. They do have an extremely good FG kicker as well, and he could be the difference here.

IMO this has all the makings of a 16-13 game that could go either way.
Kind of my feeling as well as you can see in the prediction . Tangy can win no question. Last two possessions ?

I’ll be heading to the Rocks game but no time to post much . As I have said the last couple weeks getting sharper stronger and better each week in practice will determine how the next couple weeks goes and hopefully further .
Win the first quarter , grind , make a few plays on both sides of the ball and win the league title . Bradley has athletes , good coaches and have played well at times . They scored some points on a good defense last week . Rocks need to play better over the first three quarters . Don’t want to share the title . Showed character and poise last week to come back from 14 in the second half .

Coffman - 34 Bradley

Way too high . Jags played UA close and were ahead late vs. Orange . Played fine through 3 quarters vs. Liberty before fading a bit down the stretch . (. 38-17 final but 24-17 entering that final quarter). They have nothing to lose here.

Coffman 27. Bradley 14

That's true, the defense is good, but they will have to play much better than they have the past two weeks to beat Liberty again in Round 3 and even think about beating the teams from the bottom of the bracket. jmo
[/QUOTE

Well. I know Marysville looks tuff. That’s where northmont will choke. I think they may give Coffman a fight if they meet. Otherwise I’d have say Coffman is the team to beat. Vs Springfield. But who knows it is 2020

That's true, the defense is good, but they will have to play much better than they have the past two weeks to beat Liberty again in Round 3 and even think about beating the teams from the bottom of the bracket. jmo
Liberty is better than the teams from the bottom of the bracket . I agree they will need to pick it up and really sharpen the offense without Phipps and do better against slippery QBs . Defense is where the team will win . Liberty wasn’t the team they wanted to see again until the final . Beating a team like them twice is hard . You need to get some staff go scout them hard the next couple weeks

Marysville straight up bullied Tangy last night, Tangy lack of throwing game caught up with them for sure. There's only so much you can do when the average kid on the other team is 3 inches taller and has 30 more lbs of muscle. Marysville looms as a very difficult game for 1-dimensional running teams, but they are also limited offensively and will ultimately lose to anyone with decent size on defense (which Tangy does not have) who has a balanced offense and some ability to mix it up and throw.

Liberty is coming together at the right time and Kenly finally had a breakout game we were all expecting. Very interested to see the Dayton area teams matchup in R2 with our schools, Wayne obviously a very good team and right there with Northmont and Spingfield.

Westy Central ended up playing some really good ball after I gave up on them earlier in the year, may make some noise in the other bracket, but still have my doubts.

In D2, loving Berlin's draw as they should absolutely win their first 2 games and face South. Not knowing much about Green, hard to anticipate Tangys 4v5 matchup with them, but certainly seems possible they can reach a semi vs Perry, who is extremely 1 dimensional. Question there will be if Perry is more like Darby or more like Marysville in terms of size, although they will undoubtedly have better skill position TBs

Handicapping week 6 with seeds already set proved a bit tricky as I figured it would. Now I went 6-4 against the number and 15-5 over the last two weeks to end the 'irregular " season comfortably in the black after five weeks of going against the Cal Preps numbers .Took the first week off with not much to go on .

Hit some games against the spread but the margin in the predicted score was off . Not much incentive for some teams, , some rolling over and playing dead , and a few disinterested performances and if in doubt even a little bit , you sat injured players which is smart .

Football weather was ordered last night and it was actually a bit refreshing because there was only a whisper of wind . Coffman had some incentive to win the league crown unshared , which is an accomplishment in a league this solid. Someone out here called UA a 'bad " team. because they only had one win . WRONG . He hasn't seen them or their outstanding RB Gresock . As it turned out there was only one 'bad " team and surprisingly but not shockingly it was Davidson .

The most recently decorated program in the league , with two state titles in this era.{ 20 years} Now some of the programs in the league haven't been around really long compared to the Original Hilliard HS{ Davidson } and the Original Dublin HS{ Coffman} . UA has been around since the stone age and is a decorated program with one somewhat recent state title in 2000 . UA in the late 60's was a juggernaut and under legendary coach Marv Moorehead was deemed the top team in the state three straight years.

So Coffman has earned the distinction of being the first champ of this newly aligned conference . They did some nice work last night but there are certainly things to work on if they want to make a longer run this year. Admittedly I can be a bit critical and look at things more like a coach despite not being one. I see the mistakes and weaknesses first, not on purpose but it's just the way it is . Can't help it. This isn't to say I don't see and comment on strengths as well .

Looking at the numbers , the Rocks did about what I thought they would in some areas. I called the game pretty much spot on { 27-14 , it was 28-14 } and seeing Bradley up close I must say I was impressed. Mayfield wasn't playing and he is a good weapon . But Mirgon was as advertised, a slippery talented athlete who competes his off . Point guard in hoops , smart player , very difficult to tackle and corral in the open field . Coffman D-Lineman are still huffing and puffing this morning trying to chase this guy .

Rocks had 370 yards offense which was 100 more than the Jags. They had the ball for almost 30 minutes .26 first downs to 13 for HB. They were 54 percent on third down to 33 for Bradley , but Bradley was 3-4 on fourth down. Coffman rushed for 253 yards 5.4 a carry . Respectable stats to be sure , but they left some points and yards on the field to be sure. Bradley was tough up front , played hard and made plays behind the line of scrimmage which was very impressive . They also had not a single holding penalty called on them against a very good pass rush. Not sure if that was all them though as I saw at least three obvious holds that were committed right in front of a ref that were ignored and all resulted in pass completions . Coffman as always had more penalty yards than their opponent which ahs happened in every game. Teams seem to play very clean against the Rocks I guess .

Rocks get up 7-0 first quarter after deferring , with a nice drive ending with Ian Carroll scoring form a few yards out. He again ran really hard and well checking in with 57 yards on 12 carries for the night. Bradley was competing well and very hard getting some stops and Coffman defense was doing it's job with Threats playing a bit more safety than he has been . Rocks add to their lead after a shorter drive with Threats going in from a yard out. 14-0 and comfortable with 5 minutes left in the half , Rocks hold and get the ball back with 2 20 left in the half . First play is a big loss on a sack , so you think the half will end 14-0 Rocks and it's only a wasted chance to work on the two minute drill . Well it's third and long and the Rocks call the perfect play .

Bradley had been aggressive and were run blitzing and their defensive front was doing a good job overall on passing downs. Mathews rolls left , the whole Jags defense went with him following him basically , and the Rocks set up a perfe4ct screen pass to Threats on their right . 5 blockers, and Threats the most complete back in Central Ohio . I saw it develop and said to the guy I was talking with , This is a Touchdown " , One Jag slipped by a Coffman guard enough to hurry the throw just a split second but all you needed to do was get the ball to Threats . He did that but threw it a bit long and Threats got his hands on it but couldn't come down with what would have been as easy a walk in TD from about 70 yards I have ever seen at this level . Not one Bradley player was in sight or stayed home, NOT ONE . Five Coffman blockers and one safety to deal with and Threats scores . So instead of a commanding 21-0 quit inducing demoralizing end to the half it was 14-0 .

That was the first opportunity to get that three score lead . The second was the first drive of the second half , as the Rocks received the kickoff and after a nice 20 yard return on a shorter kick-off by rough and tumble Mitchell Broskie where he ran over a kid loudly , the Rocks ran it down their throat with back-up Carroll getting inside the 25 . Rocks smartly called for a play action on an expected run blitz and threw the ball over the Middle on a slant . Only problem was the Jags defender stayed home , read the play and QB1 threw it right to him . Bradley dodges another potential three score deficit . No problem with the play call but on second thought to that point the Jags hadn't stopped the run yet . Oh well . Well that play gave them a jump and they got two easy pitch and catch first downs before Mirgon gashed them for a 51 yard TD after a few guys whiffed .

21-0 or at least 17-0 as they were in FG range before the interception , turns into 14-7 n a NY minute . So two wasted chances for points , brand new game once score . Rocks responded well converting a couple third downs on nice throws and Threats being Threats on the ground , which ended with Bryon scoring from 14 yards out with the Jags sending both inside LB'S on run blitzes , Threats made a cut off tackle and ran past the blitzing backers to score almost untouched . Back in some control at 21-7 with about 3 minutes left in the third.

Jags weren't ready to quit . Rocks were aggressive , but once again Mirgon who is the Jags rushing attack by himself basically , took off again with a slippery 35 yard run getting the Jags in scoring position . Well he then outdid himself as it appeared the Rocks may hold only to have Mirgon get them again . he was trapped a couple yards behind the line of scrimmage but somehow slipped away{ Literally} from Five Rock defenders to make a ridiculous 15 yard scramble to the two yard line. Rocks make a good stand to get it to 4th and goal from the one , but the RB scored , 'Barely ".

21-14 with almost a whole quarter to go . Ricks respond well again with Threats scoring again with about 6 minutes left . Bradley doesn't give up and keeps chucking it and scrambling but the Rocks hold getting an interception later on in he game . One ridiculous thing happened that may have prevented the Rocks from scoring one more TD and getting that elusive three score margin . 3rd and really long Mirgon throws a longer in route to the receiver where Threats breaks on the ball , times it perfectly and hammers the receiver , the loudest hit of the night and with the limited fans is really amplified . You might have been able to hear it from the Zoo a few miles away .

Legal , not PI , not targeting , not with head , not a defenseless receiver. Not anything. Except a big hit and good play from a great HS player . hmmm too loud apparently . Ref throws a a few seconds delayed flag . Not sure what the call was but it was a gifted first down for the Jags . They didn't score but the Rocks were prevented from getting the good field position and a great chance to add to their lead and put the game firmly away.

So a solid if not unspectacular win . Not great , not bad , but pretty good and once again , a 5-0 league record and an outright title doesn't suk .It is an accomplishment . Congrats to the players and staff on their hard work and preparation. Not always perfect, but they played with good consistency , toughness , and execution overall and the league title is well deserved. Enjoy it this weekend , but starting Monday? You need to have a couple great weeks of practice to improve on some things , get your gimpy offensive line treated and healthy { Another one went down with an ankle last night , making two bad ankles } , find a few ways to offset the loss of the versatile playmaking Sheron Phipps , getting a few more guys involved at least part time in different playmaking roles to help offset Phipps not being there . You can't duplicate what he does of course , but you have a couple weeks to work on finding new ways to make some explosive plays .

I'll have some more thoughts on this and other things a bit later , but it's go time , because Rocks- Liberty rematch is a great possibility and you want to be as prepared and ready to go and improving enough to be able to take care of business and beat an excellent program who has won a lot of play-off games the last 5 years for a second time .

Last edited:
Harry. Will this kid being not allowed play. Which I don’t agree with. Have much of an effect on Coffman. I would t think it would b all that of a difference. But I don’t follow Coffman enough to know their depth. I’d imagine next player up can do well. Just curious. I mean every advantage an opponent can get

Harry. Will this kid being not allowed play. Which I don’t agree with. Have much of an effect on Coffman. I would t think it would b all that of a difference. But I don’t follow Coffman enough to know their depth. I’d imagine next player up can do well. Just curious. I mean every advantage an opponent can get
I’ll be talking about it a bit more tomorrow , but it’s a crappy situation and it’s a loss no question . It is what it is . They didn’t really e have two four star kids vs Springfield last year in safety Kirk who is now at Hoban and Drennan who had a broken hand and were right there and had every chance to win . Sheron is a difference maker no doubt .

I’ll be talking about it a bit more tomorrow , but it’s a crappy situation and it’s a loss no question . It is what it is . They didn’t really e have two four star kids vs Springfield last year in safety Kirk who is now at Hoban and Drennan who had a broken hand and were right there and had every chance to win . Sheron is a difference maker no doubt .

Yes I agree. I don’t agree with letting him not finish out. It’s not right in my opinion why they would do this to the kid. I read a article about it. I just wasn’t sure how important he was. I still think Coffman Is the team to beat. Would love see northmont get far enough to play them just to hone me idea of where they r with the program. I believe Coffman would win like 35. To. 21 type game. But at least it b loss to one of the 2 best teams anyway. Anyway I feel for the kid. Not right