Doubledribble, the AARP Boys and Diva

LOL. Just wait 'til some us fire up the Mid-State League Buckeye football thread. There'll be some tail-chasin' and "what's going on here", for sure. :cool:

Great question on the players with the same name, One Who Knows - no matter where it came from.

Zunardo, my friend. Comment ca va?

If ya can't stump folks with a question like that then this is quite the forum!
It didn't even last 5 hours.

Bethere - Some of the information that has been posted over the years is amazing. There are some AARPsters that are excellent trivia buffs - some in music, some sports and some with general info. In fact, one of our former posters, rdlwolverine, was a winner on the TV show "Jeopardy". Also, I don't want to put excess pressure on "JB", but he is arguable one of this thread's best at a combination of rock and hoops trivia.

I'll post another trivia quiz sometime after noon today, unless someone posts one before that time.

ROCK ON

As promised, here's another trivia quiz. This one is all basketball, so my apologies to the "music people". Once again, (1) NO GOOGLING and (2) each poster is only permitted THREE GUESSES (until further notice). I'll update the quiz answers before midnight tonight:

1. What former D-I head basketball coach was: (1) a high school teammate of Lew Alcindor, (2) a member of Al McGuire's first recruiting class at Marquette and (3) served in Vietnam with the Marines?
DANNY NEE, Ohio U, Nebraska, Robert Morris and Duquesne (MontetheCarlo)

2. What is the nickname for the basketball arena at the University of New Mexico?
"THE PIT", WisePies Arena (Mr. Slippery)

3. I am the all-time leading scorer at my high school in Ohio and once scored 61 points in one game. I was the leading scorer for Ohio State in the 1962 NCAA championship game. I was a consensus All-American at Ohio State, but actually attended Kentucky first (I spent two days in Lexington). I was a first round draft pick in the NBA draft after being named College "Player of the Year". Who Am I?
GARY BRADDS with 15 points vs. Cincinnati (Bethere)

4. Who was the Duke player who threw the in-bounds pass on Christian Laettner's famous last-second shot vs. Kentucky in 1992?
GRANT HILL (Mr. Slippery)

5. What member of the Basketball Hall of Fame is just as famous for writing a series of children's books (the Chip Hilton series) as he was for coaching hoops?
CLAIR BEE, Long Island University (Monclova Steve)

6. Who was the coach of the team known as "Phi Slama Jama"?
Guy Lewis, Houston Cougars (Zunardo)

7. I was a college All-American and a five-time NBA all-star. I chose my athletic number, however, because of my admiration for "The King of NASCAR". Who Am I?
BRAD DAUGHERTY, #43 UNC & Cleveland Cavs (Mr. Slippery)

8. Who was the first player in NCAA tournament history to score 50 or more points three times?
Austin Carr, Notre Dame - 61 and 52 in 1970 and 52 points in 1971 (tomcat)

9. One of the finest players in Duke history, I was an All-American and College "Player of the Year". I was named the Most Outstanding Player in the Final Four, although the Blue Devils did not win the championship. I was the #1 pick in the NBA draft and made the All-Rookie team. Within three seasons, I was out of the league and played in the ABA. Who Am I?
ART HEYMANN (coldshoulder)

10. 1969 and 1970 were outstanding years for high-scoring guards. "Pistol Pete" Maravich scored more points than any other college player over those two seasons (2529 pts.). Two other hot-shooting guards were Purdue’s Rick Mount (1740 pts.) and Niagara’s Calvin Murphy (1632 pts.). Name a college guard who led the nation in free throw shooting, scored 69 points in a single game and scored more points than either Mount or Murphy over those two seasons.
JOHN RINKA, Kenyon College, 1824 points (JB)

11. What former NCAA Championship coach also played MLB?
FRED TAYLOR, Ohio State - NCAA champs '60; Washington Senators (JB)

12. Marvin Wood, the coach Gene Hackman portrayed in the movie "Hoosiers", served as a junior high school coach at a Cleveland area school in his last coaching position. Name the school.
KIRTLAND, CatAlum

13. Before his father, Press, got the head coaching job at LSU, what college did "Pistol Pete" Maravich plan to attend?
WEST VIRGINIA UNIVERSITY (coldshoulder)

14. This player from the 1960's is the only person to play on a championship team in college (D-I), the ABA, and NBA. Name the player and his championship teams.
TOM THACKER - University of Cincinnati ('61, '62); Indiana Pacers ('70); Boston Celtics ('63, '64, '65, '66, '68) - (JB)

15. Who was the starting center for UCLA between Lew Alcindor (1967-69) and Bill Walton (1972-74)?
STEVE PATTERSON, 1970-72 (Bethere)

Extra-Credit:

A. I made the NCAA All-Tournament basketball team in 1961 as my college defeated Jerry Lucas' Ohio State Buckeyes for the NCAA title. I also played in a major league baseball game the same calendar year. I'm the only person ever to accomplish this feat. Who Am I?
CARL BOULDIN, UC and the Washington Senators (Frank Underwood)

B. On August 28, 1963, as Dr. Martin Luther King waved goodbye to an audience of over 200,000 "March on Washington" participants, he handed a future Division I basketball coach the original typewritten "I Have a Dream" speech". Name the coach.
George Raveling - Washington State, Iowa, USC (tomcat)

Keep the Ball Rollin'

Last edited:
MontetheCarlo, Zunardo and Mr. Slippery are all correct with their answers. See initial posting to reflect the right answers.

3 - Jerry Lucas. Didn't he win it the year before too?

4 - Grant Hill I believe?

6 - Guy Lewis

A -Carl Bouldin

Edit: stupid work distracting me and others got the answers in first. :dang:

Frank Underwood - A good guess with Jerry Lucas, but incorrect (most people would miss this one; a little tricky). Sorry that you were beaten to the punch by Zunardo (6) and Mr. Slippery (4). A great job in answering EC "A" - Yep, the "Pride of Norwood", Carl Bouldin

Keep the Ball Rollin'

Bethere- You are absolutely correct on all counts. Steve Paterson is correct for #15 and he did play along side Wicks and Rowe. #3 Gary Bradds, the "Pride of Jamestown" is a surprising, but correct answer. Many people would have guessed that Jerry Lucas or John Havlicek led the Buckeyes in scoring in the NCAA championship game, but it was Bradds with 15 points:
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/ncaa-tournament/history/yearbyyear/1962

Another interesting note concerning the late Gary Bradds is that his grandson, Evan, led all D-I players in FG% in 2015-16. Evan, who will be a senior this coming season, plays for Belmont (TN) in the Ohio Valley Conference.

Keep the Ball Rollin'

MontetheCarlo, Zunardo and Mr. Slippery are all correct with their answers. See initial posting to reflect the right answers.

2. The tougher question might have been to ask for the real name of the U. of New Mexico's arena. I definitely didn't know that.

4. I remember the end of that game all too well. My mom even spewed out some profanity when Laettner made the shot. We weren't Kentucky fans, but we couldn't stand Laettner.

7. I wouldn't have known it if Daugherty hadn't mentioned it a time or two in interviews during his days with the Cavs.

2. The tougher question might have been to ask for the real name of the U. of New Mexico's arena. I definitely didn't know that.

4. I remember the end of that game all too well. My mom even spewed out some profanity when Laettner made the shot. We weren't Kentucky fans, but we couldn't stand Laettner.

7. I wouldn't have known it if Daugherty hadn't mentioned it a time or two in interviews during his days with the Cavs.

Thanks Mr. Slippery! Usually some really good info and discussion on the AARP Thread. :thumb:

ROCK ON

Cat Alum - Glad that you are alive and well and found us on Yappi. You are 100% correct about Marvin Wood ending his career in #12 Kirtland. You are correct about Wood living with his daughter and coaching his twin granddaughters' 7th grade team. Good job on a tough question.

Last edited:
10 - John Rinka - Kenyon College
11- Fred Taylor- Ohio State and Washington Senators
14 - Tom Thacker - Cincinnati, Indiana Pacers, Boston Celtics

I changed 10 from Austin Carr to John Rinka since you didn't say D1 player

JB

Last edited:
Veteran AARPsters, coldshoulder and "JB", each added to the correct answers:

coldshoulder
9. Art Heyman
10. Dwight Lamar - incorrect
13. West Virginia

"JB"
10 - John Rinka, Kenyon College
11 - Fred Taylor- Ohio State and Washington Senators

See the update below (the next post)

Last edited:
Below is the latest update for the trivia quiz:

1. What former D-I head basketball coach was: (1) a high school teammate of Lew Alcindor, (2) a member of Al McGuire's first recruiting class at Marquette and (3) served in Vietnam with the Marines?
DANNY NEE, Ohio U, Nebraska, Robert Morris and Duquesne (MontetheCarlo)

2. What is the nickname for the basketball arena at the University of New Mexico?
"THE PIT", WisePies Arena (Mr. Slippery)

3. I am the all-time leading scorer at my high school in Ohio and once scored 61 points in one game. I was the leading scorer for Ohio State in the 1962 NCAA championship game. I was a consensus All-American at Ohio State, but actually attended Kentucky first (I spent two days in Lexington). I was a first round draft pick in the NBA draft after being named College "Player of the Year". Who Am I?
GARY BRADDS with 15 points vs. Cincinnati (Bethere)

4. Who was the Duke player who threw the in-bounds pass on Christian Laettner's famous last-second shot vs. Kentucky in 1992?
GRANT HILL (Mr. Slippery)

5. What member of the Basketball Hall of Fame is just as famous for writing a series of children's books (the Chip Hilton series) as he was for coaching hoops?
CLAIR BEE, Long Island University (Monclova Steve)

6. Who was the coach of the team known as "Phi Slama Jama"?
Guy Lewis, Houston Cougars (Zunardo)

7. I was a college All-American and a five-time NBA all-star. I chose my athletic number, however, because of my admiration for "The King of NASCAR". Who Am I?
BRAD DAUGHERTY, #43 UNC & Cleveland Cavs (Mr. Slippery)

8. Who was the first player in NCAA tournament history to score 50 or more points three times?
Austin Carr, Notre Dame - 61 and 52 in 1970 and 52 points in 1971 (tomcat)

9. One of the finest players in Duke history, I was an All-American and College "Player of the Year". I was named the Most Outstanding Player in the Final Four, although the Blue Devils did not win the championship. I was the #1 pick in the NBA draft and made the All-Rookie team. Within three seasons, I was out of the league and played in the ABA. Who Am I?
ART HEYMANN (coldshoulder)

10. 1969 and 1970 were outstanding years for high-scoring guards. "Pistol Pete" Maravich scored more points than any other college player over those two seasons (2529 pts.). Two other hot-shooting guards were Purdue’s Rick Mount (1740 pts.) and Niagara’s Calvin Murphy (1632 pts.). Name a college guard who led the nation in free throw shooting, scored 69 points in a single game and scored more points than either Mount or Murphy over those two seasons.
JOHN RINKA, Kenyon College, 1824 points (JB)

11. What former NCAA Championship coach also played MLB?
FRED TAYLOR, Ohio State - NCAA champs '60; Washington Senators (JB)

12. Marvin Wood, the coach Gene Hackman portrayed in the movie "Hoosiers", served as a junior high school coach at a Cleveland area school in his last coaching position. Name the school.
KIRTLAND, CatAlum

13. Before his father, Press, got the head coaching job at LSU, what college did "Pistol Pete" Maravich plan to attend?
WEST VIRGINIA UNIVERSITY (coldshoulder)

14. This player from the 1960's is the only person to play on a championship team in college (D-I), the ABA, and NBA. Name the player and his championship teams.
TOM THACKER - University of Cincinnati ('61, '62); Indiana Pacers ('70); Boston Celtics ('63, '64, '65, '66, '68) - (JB)

15. Who was the starting center for UCLA between Lew Alcindor (1967-69) and Bill Walton (1972-74)?
STEVE PATTERSON, 1970-72 (Bethere)

Extra-Credit:

A. I made the NCAA All-Tournament basketball team in 1961 as my college defeated Jerry Lucas' Ohio State Buckeyes for the NCAA title. I also played in a major league baseball game the same calendar year. I'm the only person ever to accomplish this feat. Who Am I?
CARL BOULDIN, UC and the Washington Senators (Frank Underwood)

B. On August 28, 1963, as Dr. Martin Luther King waved goodbye to an audience of over 200,000 "March on Washington" participants, he handed a future Division I basketball coach the original typewritten "I Have a Dream" speech". Name the coach.
George Raveling - Washington State, Iowa, USC (tomcat)

Keep the Ball Rollin'

Last edited:
10 - John Rinka - Kenyon College

I changed 10 from Austin Carr to John Rinka since you didn't say D1 player

JB

"JB" - You are "spot on" by naming Kenyon's John Rinka as the correct answer to #10. We still need to correctly answer #5, #8 and EC "B".

Veteran AARPsters, coldshoulder and "JB", each answered two of three questions correctly:

coldshoulder
9. Art Heyman
10. Dwight Lamar - incorrect
13. West Virginia

"JB"
10 - Austin Carr - Notre Dame - incorrect

See the update below (the next post)

OWK,

Check my edited post above your last post. This was somewhat tricky as I "assumed" you were only looking at D1 players. After answering with Austin Carr first, I kept thinking I don't think he ever had 69 point game in college. but remember his 61 against OU Bobcats. Then went with John Rinka whom I had seen play against the Denison Big Red back in the day and then realized you never said it had to be a D1 guy, We all know what happens when we "assume". Good quiz.

JB

OWK,

Check my edited post above your last post. This was somewhat tricky as I "assumed" you were only looking at D1 players. After answering with Austin Carr first, I kept thinking I don't think he ever had 69 point game in college. but remember his 61 against OU Bobcats. Then went with John Rinka whom I had seen play against the Denison Big Red back in the day and then realized you never said it had to be a D1 guy, We all know what happens when we "assume". Good quiz.

JB

Thanks "JB" and your correct answer has already been added to the update. John Rinka, a charter member of the Ohio Basketball HOF, scored 69 points vs. Wooster. Since you mentioned Austin Carr's 61-points vs. Ohio U, you might want to do a little more thinking on the remaining unanswered questions. :)

Keep the Ball Rollin'

Thanks "JB" and your correct answer has already been added to the update. John Rinka, a charter member of the Ohio Basketball HOF, scored 69 points vs. Wooster. Since you mentioned Austin Carr's 61-points vs. Ohio U, you might want to do a little more thinking on the remaining unanswered questions. :)

Keep the Ball Rollin'

Yes, I am aware that my Austin Carr answer will come into play on this quiz,but sitting on it since I have used my 3 guesses in the 1st round.

JB

I'm not to proud to grab so low-hanging fruit. I believe the answer to #8 is Notre Dame's Austin Carr.

Also, George Raveling is the coach who has the MLK speech in his possession.

I'm not to proud to grab so low-hanging fruit. I believe the answer to #8 is Notre Dame's Austin Carr.

Also, George Raveling is the coach who has the MLK speech in his possession.

tomcat - You are correct with both #8 and EC "B". Your answers have been added to the latest update.

We only have one more question to answer correctly and that's #5 - What member of the Basketball Hall of Fame is just as famous for writing a series of children's books (the Chip Hilton series) as he was for coaching hoops?

tomcat - You are correct with both #8 and EC "B". Your answers have been added to the latest update.

We only have one more question to answer correctly and that's #5 - What member of the Basketball Hall of Fame is just as famous for writing a series of children's books (the Chip Hilton series) as he was for coaching hoops?

Owk,

With any luck at all, maybe Bob ( don't call me Bobby) Knight will jump into the fray and close out this latest quiz in honor of his idol. How's that for a clue ?

JB