Doubledribble, the AARP Boys and Diva

Here is a football-related question:
Which college is the only one to produce a US President, starting quarterback of a Super Bowl champion and US Speaker of the House?

University of Michigan ?:

Gerald Ford
Tom Brady
______________?

Also, with regard to the Elgin Baylor question....
basketball-reference.com lists Guy Rodgers as the first pick in the 1958 NBA draft, a "territorial pick" of the Philadelphia Warriors. Elgin Baylor is listed as the next pick, the first selection in the first round, not counting the territorial pick.

So what gives?

You are correct, Mr. Underwood.
Perhaps we're missing something. I'm sure OWK will gladly fill us in.

Sorry, didn't mean to tease you guys. I thought that someone from SW Ohio might know the correct answer to my question (below):
I am a former Superintendent of Schools from SW Ohio who was picked ahead of Elgin Baylor in the NBA draft. Who Am I?

Frank Underwood is correct that Elgin was the #1 pick in the 1958 draft and that Guy Rodgers (Temple) was chosen before him as a "territorial draft pick".

Here's the tricky part - the question reads "NBA draft", not 1958 NBA draft. Actually, the former Superintendent of Schools at Cincinnati's Forest Hills School District, John Patzwald, is the correct answer. He was drafted in the 13th round (87th pick), one round ahead of Elgin Baylor (91st pick), in the 1956 NBA draft. The Minneapolis Lakers were hoping to sign Baylor early, but that never materialized due to the NBA rules and Baylor's desire to continue playing college ball at Seattle.

Here's the documentation on the Minneapolis Lakers' 1956 draft:
http://m.bkref.com/m?p=XXteamsXXMNLXX1956_transactions.html&t=0

Drafted Jim Paxson in the 1st round (3rd pick) of the 1956 NBA Draft.
Drafted Terry Rand in the 2nd round (11th pick) of the 1956 NBA Draft.
Drafted Jerry Bird in the 3rd round (19th pick) of the 1956 NBA Draft.
Drafted Lloyd Aubrey in the 4th round (27th pick) of the 1956 NBA Draft.
Drafted Bill Reigel in the 5th round (35th pick) of the 1956 NBA Draft.
Drafted Phil Jordon in the 6th round (43rd pick) of the 1956 NBA Draft.
Drafted John Barber in the 7th round (51st pick) of the 1956 NBA Draft.
Drafted Sam Jones in the 8th round (59th pick) of the 1956 NBA Draft.
Drafted Jim Springer in the 9th round (66th pick) of the 1956 NBA Draft.
Drafted Phil Grawmeyer in the 10th round (73rd pick) of the 1956 NBA Draft.
Drafted Robert Hodgson in the 11th round (79th pick) of the 1956 NBA Draft.
Drafted Carl Widseth in the 12th round (83rd pick) of the 1956 NBA Draft.
Drafted John Patzwald (Gustavus Adolphus) in the 13th round (87th pick) of the 1956 NBA Draft.
Elgin Baylor in the 14th round (91st pick) of the 1956 NBA Draft. Elgin was the #1 pick in the 1958 NBA Draft.

ROCK ON

Could that be the University of Michigan?

Close, but no cigar. Michigan is one of three other schools that produced SB champion QB and president (Tom Brady and Gerald Ford), but no speaker of the house, though Ford was House minority leader.

As to the Elgin Baylor question, my answer is Jim Boothe, who was the last pick of the Cincinnati Royals in the 1957 draft, the year before Baylor was picked. (I did not get that off the top of my head.)

Just saw OWK's response about Patzwold and amazingly it seems there are two former SW Ohio school superintendents drafted before Baylor, though mine was in a different year.

Just saw OWK's response about Patzwold and amazingly it seems there are two former SW Ohio school superintendents drafted before Baylor, though mine was in a different year.

Interesting info about Jim Boothe. I really wasn't even familiar with him. The fact that he was only 5'7" make his situation even more interesting.

The John Patzwald question was definitely an unfair one, but interesting nonetheless. John's son, Ryan (Anderson HS) was a member of Bob Huggins' teams at both UC and K-State. He played sparingly, but was a good shooter and certainly had one of the nation's most unique hairdos - a Mohawk that was similar to Chris "Birdman" Andersen when he was with the Miami Heat.

Keep the Ball Rollin'

Last edited:
Here is a football-related question:
Which college is the only one to produce a US President, starting quarterback of a Super Bowl champion and US Speaker of the House?

Only four colleges can claim...POTUS, winning Super Bowl QB - Stanford, Michigan, Navy, Miami of Ohio. Since Miami grad Paul Ryan is Speaker of the House...the answer has to be Miami of Ohio.

This oldies quiz goes way back, but it's relatively easy. It's half HOOPS and half MUSIC. As usual: (1) NO GOOGLING and (2) THREE GUESSES.

HOOPS
The following teams are among the all-time winningest programs in college basketball history. Identify each school's all-time leading scorer (total points):

1. Kentucky
2. North Carolina
3. Kansas
4. Duke
5. Syracuse
6. Temple
7. St. John’s
8. UCLA
9. Princeton
10. Indiana

Hoops Extra-Credit:
I am one of the all-time Top 10 scorers in college basketball history, but am not a household name. I played at Mississippi Valley State. Who Am I?

MUSIC

11. When did "Little Suzie" finally wake up?

12. "Rock Around The Clock" was featured in what 1955 movie?

13. Who did Bobby Darin marry in 1960?

14. "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow" was written by one of the most prolific song writing teams in rock and rock history. Name them.

15. In 1968, The Stone Poneys had a hit with "Different Drum".
.....A. Who was the lead singer of The Stone Poneys?
.....B. Who wrote the song?

16. Before Carly Simon's big hits, “Anticipation” and “You're So Vain", she had a previous Top 10 hit. What was the name of that song?

17. For which label did Elvis Presley first record?

18. In Bobby Darin's "Mack The Knife", the one with the knife, was named:

19. In the musical, “Bye Bye Birdie”, starring Ann-Margaret, Dick Van Dyke, and Paul, who played Hugo?

20. Who is generally given credit for coining the term, "Rock And Roll"?

Music Extra-Credit:
In 1965, The Wonder Who had a Top 10 hit with "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright". The Wonder Who used that name because it wasn't the official name of their group. What group recorded under the name The Wonder Who?

ROCK ON

19. Bobby Rydell

20. Alan Freed is the widely accepted answer, but the term rock n roll was used much earlier than the old "Moondog Show". Cleveland DJ Alan Freed is usually given credit though.

Music EC - The 4 Seasons

JB

All the above answers ("JB", Zunardo and MontetheCarlo) are correct. Here's the update and remember - NO GOOGLING and only THREE GUESSES (until tonight at midnight):

HOOPS
The following teams are among the all-time winningest programs in college basketball history. Identify each school's all-time leading scorer (total points):

1. Kentucky, Dan Issel (Kojak_00)
2. North Carolina
3. Kansas
4. Duke
5. Syracuse
6. Temple
7. St. John’s
8. UCLA
9. Princeton, Bill Bradley (Bevo)
10. Indiana

Hoops Extra-Credit:
I am one of the all-time Top 10 scorers in college basketball history, but am not a household name. I played at Mississippi Valley State. Who Am I?

MUSIC

The movie's over, it's 4:OO O'Clock (Zunardo)

Blackboard Jungle (Zunardo)

Sandra Dee (Bevo)

14. "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow" was written by one of the most prolific song writing teams in rock and rock history. Name them.
Carole King and Jerry Goffin (MontetheCarlo)

Linda Ronstadt (MontetheCarlo)
Mickey Dolenz is incorrect

16. Before Carly Simon's big hits, “Anticipation” and “You're So Vain", she had a previous Top 10 hit. What was the name of that song?
"That's the Way I've Always Heard it Should Be" (Zunardo)

Sun Records (Kojak_00)

19. In the musical, “Bye Bye Birdie”, starring Ann-Margaret, Dick Van Dyke, and Paul, who played Hugo?
Bobby Rydell (JB)

Alan Freed (JB)

Music Extra-Credit:
In 1965, The Wonder Who had a Top 10 hit with "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright". The Wonder Who used that name because it wasn't the official name of their group. What group recorded under the name The Wonder Who?
The Four Seasons (JB)

"Keep the Ball Rollin'"

Last edited:
Tomcat has been on fire! The other old buds are stepping up as to be expected. :)

9. Might be an "unknown" to me but I'll go with Dollar Bill. The true CYO players on here will know that Bradley lit up (Michigan, I believe) in the third place game in about '65. Seems as though Bill had 56. I still recall a clip of him hitting a ten-foot hook shot in that game.
Compared to the present state of affairs, probably could have won this election by a landslide.

13. Going for the era I'll say Sandra Dee.
17. That had to be Sun Records with Sam Phillips before RCA gobbled the King up.

Zunardo - I just read Carly's memoir, "Boys in The Trees"; pretty interesting. Some odd things going on with Mrs. Simon. Some nice reflections of Carly meeting James Taylor when both were very young

Can you imagine "That's the Way I Always Heard It Should Be" getting airplay today? A very dour tune, to say the least. That was part of that era, also. J.B. could light this thread up with mournful songs - sounds like another trivia quiz.
And, I need to report that the line in the song ("You're So Vain"): "You probably think this song is about you", is not - despite his protestations - about OWK.

I'll catch up with the quiz in a little bit. Right now, I'm trying to get over the news of the death of ESPN's John Saunders. Saunders was definitely one on my favorites and I never missed The Sports Reporters on Sunday morning. Saunders had hosted the show since Dick Schaap's death in 2001. Saunders was the consummate professional and unbelievably objective. He was as fair a reporter as I've observed. He will be greatly missed!

RIP - JOHN SAUNDERS

It's good to see Bevo, the AARP Boys Hall of Famer, posting. We've already had some of the regulars post on Yappi and with the addition of rdlwolverine and Kojak_00, it looks like the old gang is reassembling.

All of the following answers are correct:
1. Dan Issel (Kojak_00)
17. Sun Records (Kojak_00)

Bevo is "on the money" with:
9. Bill Bradley is Princeton's all-time leading scorer
13. Sandra Dee was indeed Bobby Darin's wife, at least for a while.

Bevo's comment about "That's the Way I Always Heard It Should Be" is also interesting. I guess the quotation, "The only thing constant is change", continues to hold true.

The correct answers will be added to the latest update.

ROCK ON

Zunardo - I just read Carly's memoir, "Boys in The Trees"; pretty interesting. Some odd things going on with Mrs. Simon. Some nice reflections of Carly meeting James Taylor when both were very young

Can you imagine "That's the Way I Always Heard It Should Be" getting airplay today? A very dour tune, to say the least. That was part of that era, also. J.B. could light this thread up with mournful songs - sounds like another trivia quiz.
And, I need to report that the line in the song ("You're So Vain"): "You probably think this song is about you", is not - despite his protestations - about OWK.

Bevo, I'll have to look that book, sounds interesting.

I can't imagine ANY song from back then getting airplay today, LOL. "Mournful" is a good way to describe Carly's song, but for some reason I really dug it when I heard it. I was a sucker for a good mournful hook back then when I was about to enter my teen years.. "WOLD" by Harry Chapin and "Whoever Finds This, I Love You" by Mac Davis are others that come to mind during that era.

Linda Ronstadt was lead singer of the Stone Poneys. Seems I recall of the Monkees wrote the song. Not sure which one. I'll say Mickey Dolenz just because.

"Love is Blue" by Paul Mauriat hit me at 16 and with a new girl at homecoming, no less, and I was floored; throw in "Honey" by Bobby Goldsborro and we are on our way.

A little more Pop but "Wichita Lineman", and "Galveston" had the same effect on me. Same with "Alfie" and "Hurts So Bad", "What Becomes of the Broken-Hearted" and "Walk on By" - my list of angst songs knows no bounds. Funny, that I was so moved by these tunes in my teens; I am sure you were and countless other guys.

As an aside my son while watching a rerun of "The Office" today discovered "Nobody But Me" by the Human Beinz". He wanted to know if I had ever heard of it. J.B. will know that this group was from Ohio; I'm not sure where but Youngstown sticks in me mind.

I had a crush on Linda Ronstadt in the '70's.

BlackHawk - Don't feel like the Lone Ranger since many of us thought that Linda Ronstadt was a "hottie". :)

Bevo and Zunardo mentioned some top songs from, especially since many of them were romantic. Great songs, nonetheless! It's good to see some of the comments that defined the "AARP Thread" on J.J. Huddle. Love the interaction and I hope it continues.

MontetheCarlo answered another question correctly by naming Linda Ronstadt as the lead singer of The Stone Poneys". Yes, a member of The Monkees did write "Different Drum", but it wasn't Mickey Dolenz. The correct answer has been added to the last update.

Keep the Ball Rollin'

I sort of rolled right over OWK's comments about ESPN's John Saunders. Sorry for that. Don't know why but I always thought of him more as a "serious" news guy on the sports' beat.

I can remember somewhat clearly reading a magazine over 30-35 years ago. The main article was on Steve Garvey and his wife, Cindy. Among the smaller articles, however, was the announcement of the start of an all-sports' tv network. Doesn't ESPN stand for Entertainment Sports' Program Network?

I wondered how you could find 24 hours of programming daily and so did many others. (I mean Wide World of Sports was 90 minutes a week and even they had to do ice skating barrel jumping.) Out of that first group came Bob Ley. I am not sure if Keith O., Saunders, Sturat, etc. were there yet or not. Slowly but surely, they became very much a part of our lives. The news said tonight that Saunders had been at ESPN for 30 years. What seems like just yesterday, the network has been on so long now that some announcers spend their careers there. John Saunders was one of those guys.

rip. John Saunders

"Love is Blue" by Paul Mauriat hit me at 16 and with a new girl at homecoming, no less, and I was floored; throw in "Honey" by Bobby Goldsborro and we are on our way.

A little more Pop but "Wichita Lineman", and "Galveston" had the same effect on me. Same with "Alfie" and "Hurts So Bad", "What Becomes of the Broken-Hearted" and "Walk on By" - my list of angst songs knows no bounds. Funny, that I was so moved by these tunes in my teens; I am sure you were and countless other guys.

As an aside my son while watching a rerun of "The Office" today discovered "Nobody But Me" by the Human Beinz". He wanted to know if I had ever heard of it. J.B. will know that this group was from Ohio; I'm not sure where but Youngstown sticks in me mind.

Bevo,

Ah yes, The Human Beinz was most definitely an Ohio band and they were originally Youngstown based but I believe they probably played more Cleveland area bars. They were kind of a mix of several local NE Ohio bands with their beginnings around 1963 or thereabouts.

They were pretty much a cover band with a strong influence once the British Invasion hit our shores in 1964. They , along with every garage band in the country, managed to record the classic "Gloria" but unfortunately there was a 6 month delay between the time they recorded their version and the producing of the 45 record which ended up cancelling the release !

The members were Richard "Dick" Belley lead vocals/guitar "Ting"Markulin on rhythm guitar, John Pachuta,bass and Mike Tatum, drums. They first recorded on the small label Elysian Records and release some tunes as The Human Beingz ( with a "g" in their name and one of their covers was of the Yardbirds " Evil Hearted You".

Somehow, the group was discovered by a Capital Records rep who was browsing through some record bins in the Youngstown suburb of Boardman.
In a real Hollywood discovery story, the group ended up in a Cleveland recording studio and played their unique version of an Isley Brothers song titled " Nobody But Me". Well, the rest is history, they took an obscure Isley Brothers song, gave it an upbeat garage band sound and believe it or not the song first broke on the black radio station market assuming the group was African-American ( they were not).

To add to the confusion there was another group about the same time recording on the Impact and Warner Brothers label called "The Human Beings".

In January of 1968 " Nobody But Me" peaked at number 8 on the top 40 charts. During 1968 they released two albums " Nobody But You" and "Evolutions". The closest they ever came to breaking into the Top 40 again was their cover of Bobby "Blue" Bland's classic, "Turn On Your Love Light" but reached no higher than #80 later in 1968, but was somewhat of a minor hit in Japan. Somehow I don't see Japanese audiences getting into American blues ?? Soon after a tour of Japan the boys decided to break up and were destined to become a staple in every garage band and bar band in the U.S. for decades to come and a genuine one-hit-wonder. I also find it strange that a group influenced by the British Invasion ends up having their only charted hit on a song originally recorded by an Ohio R&B goup. Go figure.

One final piece of trivia about the song " Nobody But Me" you may not be aware of ( you can really impress your son with this tidbit:

The song uses the word "No" more than 100 times in 2:16 and uses the word "nobody" 46 times and the word "yeah" is used 1 time.
The runner up for negativity is "Tell her No" by The Zombies which uses "No" 63 times in 2:08. Now go impress your son with that fact ! Tell him
you read on the AARP Boys, lol. PS: it's true .

JB

Last edited:
Great stuff by Bevo and "JB"! IMHO, that is the best part of this thread. Lots of good information and discussion. "No" more than 100 times in 2:16? That's incredible!

Like Bevo, most of us probably agree that John Saunders was one of ESPN's best personalities. Bevo hit it on the head when he said that Saunders was like a "serious" news guy. He was definitely well-respected and will be missed.

Here's the update and everyone gets THREE more guesses at midninght tonight (Thursday 12:01 am). Remember that there is still NO GOOGLING:

HOOPS

1. Kentucky, Dan Issel (Kojak_00)
2. North Carolina
3. Kansas
4. Duke
5. Syracuse
6. Temple
7. St. John’s
8. UCLA
9. Princeton, Bill Bradley (Bevo)
10. Indiana

Hoops Extra-Credit:

MUSIC

The movie's over, it's 4:OO O'Clock (Zunardo)

Blackboard Jungle (Zunardo)

Sandra Dee (Bevo)

Carole King and Jerry Goffin (MontetheCarlo)

Linda Ronstadt (MontetheCarlo)
Mickey Dolenz is incorrect

"That's the Way I've Always Heard it Should Be" (Zunardo)

Sun Records (Kojak_00)

Bobby Rydell (JB)

Alan Freed (JB)

Music Extra-Credit:
The Four Seasons (JB)

"Keep the Ball Rollin'"

Here are some more guesses:
2. North Carolina - Tyler Hansbrough
5. Syracuse - Derrick Coleman
7. St. John’s - Chris Mullins

15 B. Has to be Michael Nesmith. I'm not sure about Davy Jones or Peter Tork, but Nesmith is the only other Monkee I know of who was a successful (and prolific) songwriter.

His "Silver Moon" really caught my ear around 1970 or 1971. WTVN-AM 610 in Columbus used to play it a lot when it came out, but I never heard it on the radio again after that. I found a collectible records store in Columbus about 15 years ago, and bought a copy to have. I wasn't really familiar with Roy Orbison's singing in 1971, but I can see how he might have influenced Nesmith on that tune.