Did anyone know about this?

Big surprise joe failed to support his statement that MLB is going into the abyss.

Ultimately, my point was that Bud Selig sucks as a commisioner and his refusal to adapt has done a great job at alienating the casual baseball fan. That is what is sending MLB into the "abyss", since you are so fascinated with that statement. I don't think anyone would argue that baseball has undoubtedly lost popularity under Selig. The fact that teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, Cubs, ect. continue to make money does not surprise me. They always will. Anyone who thinks Bud has done a good job as a commish is an idiot IMO.

I wish I had your time to debate this topic and other ridiculous nonesense to no end everyday, but fortunately I have a life.

Ultimately, my point was that Bud Selig sucks as a commisioner and his refusal to adapt has done a great job at alienating the casual baseball fan. That is what is sending MLB into the "abyss", since you are so fascinated with that statement. I don't think anyone would argue that baseball has undoubtedly lost popularity under Selig. The fact that teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, Cubs, ect. continue to make money does not surprise me. They always will. Anyone who thinks Bud has done a good job as a commish is an idiot IMO.

I wish I had your time to debate this topic and other ridiculous nonesense to no end everyday, but fortunately I have a life.

A good job is debatable......but he certainly hasn't ruined the sport as you seem to believe. Besides not forcing a salary cap on the players union (which is not possible and could not be done by anyone), you have yet to name one thing he's done to the detriment to the sport.

I don't even like the man.

Nonsense. The Reds just gave Joey Votto 250 million and they're about to give Brandon Phillips 65 million. These guys are making a ton of money.

When you have a league where one team's cap is 201 million(Yankees) and another team is 36 million(Royals) something is wrong.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/salaries

It's obvious the only reason you are debating this was because the Reds were somehow able to pull a rabbit out of their with the Votto signing. We still have not seen exactly how that is going to effect their cap in future years.

A good job is debatable......but he certainly hasn't ruined the sport as you seem to believe. Besides not forcing a salary cap on the players union (which is not possible and could not be done by anyone), you have yet to name one thing he's done to the detriment to the sport.

I don't even like the man.

1. Refusal to change the playoff system for years. Even after finally changing it, I still think it is dumb. This made an already long season drag on forever for most teams who had nothing to play for.

2. Turning a blind eye to steroids and permanently tainting the record books forever. There is no other sport that cherishes its statistical heroes like baseball and the Selig/Steroid Era has ruined that.

When you have a league where one team's cap is 201 million(Yankees) and another team is 36 million(Royals) something is wrong.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/salaries

It's obvious the only reason you are debating this was because the Reds were somehow able to pull a rabbit out of their with the Votto signing. We still have not seen exactly how that is going to effect their cap in future years.

Do you really think the Royals only spend $36 million because they can't spend more?

Regarding the Reds' "cap", the owner of the team said it would not have an adverse affect. You kind of have to take the man's word for it, considering he's made a fortune on produce.

But the Votto signing has nothing to do with why I'm debating this. I am because you said something absurd about MLB heading into the abyss and the guy that runs the NBA somehow doing a better job.

1. Refusal to change the playoff system for years. Even after finally changing it, I still think it is dumb. This made an already long season drag on forever for most teams who had nothing to play for.

At what point did Selig refuse to change the playoff system? Was it when he pushed through the wild card in the mid-1990s or was it when he pushed through the addition of a second wild card this season?

Also, I'm curious about your point about most teams having nothing to play for. Do you realize that throughout most of baseball history, only the teams with the best record in each league reached the World Series. Then, for a little more than 20 years, only the four division winners reached post-season play? Then Selig came along and refused to change the playoff system. :shrug:

2. Turning a blind eye to steroids and permanently tainting the record books forever. There is no other sport that cherishes its statistical heroes like baseball and the Selig/Steroid Era has ruined that.

That was a terrible mistake shared by the entire baseball community, but the lion's share should go to Selig. I will say baseball gets more heat than any other league in this matter, though. You just don't hear about the roid-head from the Texans anymore because nobody really cares if NFL players juice.

On the other hand, baseball now has the best testing and punishment policy in the U.S. among professional sports. It doesn't quite make up for McGwire and Bonds farking Roger Maris and Hank Aaron out of records, but it's a start.

I'm still looking for the abyss.

It took about 10 mins, no biggie. Baseball appears to be on very solid footing financially, certainly better than the nba and hardly sliding into the abyss. Sorry joe. :shrug:

It took about 10 mins, no biggie. Baseball appears to be on very solid footing financially, certainly better than the nba and hardly sliding into the abyss. Sorry joe. :shrug:

Joe doesn't like the playoff system and the Royals only spend $36 million on their major-league roster, so Bud Selig has obviously ruined baseball.

Do you really think the Royals only spend $36 million because they can't spend more?

The Royals could spend another $28.5 million before going into the red. That still puts them at less than a third of the Yankees' payroll. If I recall, only two teams were in the red last year, and I think most netted around $10-15 million, so it's probably not even realistic to expect teams like the Royals to eat through every last penny of their profit.

The Royals could spend another $28.5 million before going into the red. That still puts them at less than a third of the Yankees' payroll. If I recall, only two teams were in the red last year, and I think most netted around $10-15 million, so it's probably not even realistic to expect teams like the Royals to eat through every last penny of their profit.

Where are you getting that?

Joe doesn't like the playoff system and the Royals only spend $36 million on their major-league roster, so Bud Selig has obviously ruined baseball.

You conveniently left out steroids, which is by far the most glaring aspect of the Selig era. He and MLB get no credit for implementing a strict steroid policy after they were caught with their backs against the wall.

You conveniently left out steroids, which is by far the most glaring aspect of the Selig era.

No, actually, I covered that a few posts up.

That was a terrible mistake shared by the entire baseball community, but the lion's share should go to Selig. I will say baseball gets more heat than any other league in this matter, though. You just don't hear about the roid-head from the Texans anymore because nobody really cares if NFL players juice.

On the other hand, baseball now has the best testing and punishment policy in the U.S. among professional sports. It doesn't quite make up for McGwire and Bonds farking Roger Maris and Hank Aaron out of records, but it's a start.

I'm still looking for the abyss.

No need to apologize. You and Mick have done nothing to change my opinion on Bud or MLB.

The NBA/David Stern point obviously went over both your heads. The point was not that baseball made more money than basketball.

What damage is that?

Baseball has survived everything its faced and emerged prosperous.

But if you don't like it, leave it be. Go pay attention to all the roids heads in the NFL getting arrested all offseason or the thugs in Stern's NBA trying the get their coaches fired.

What damage is that?

Baseball has survived everything its faced and emerged prosperous.

But if you don't like it, leave it be. Go pay attention to all the roids heads in the NFL getting arrested all offseason or the thugs in Stern's NBA trying the get their coaches fired.

Records that took a century to make broken by players who were allowed to roid up and hit home runs. Thanks Bud.