Did anyone know about this?

Sig Hansen

Did anyone know about this?

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...n-japan-is-worth-waking-up-for/1#.T3Kxj9WqGF8

:laugh: at ESPN for only promoting their Cards/Marlins Opening Night games and totally covering up this game, just so they could call it "Opening Night". They really really suck.

Also, wtf is MLB up to this year? First, they schedule a one-game "series" between STL and MIA for Opening Night, then have Miami come to Cincinnati for our Opening Day, instead of just giving Miami a full three game Opening weekend and sending another team to play the Reds. Incredibly overcomplicated, imo

Then, they make Oakland and Seattle fly to Japan (which both teams were probably totally willing to do, for some reason :shrug:) for a two game series, for regular season games that count, then fly back to Arizona to finish off Spring Training, then back to Cali and Seattle where they start off the season again. That'd be like having the NFL preseason in the middle of September with games played on the moon.

That is without a doubt the screwiest start to any sports season I've ever heard of. Makes absolutely no sense, whatsoever. Your fans must really suck if you have to something like this to sell tickets.

Last edited:

LOL I had no clue the first game had already started. It's 7:30 am right now, and the first game of the season is in a 1-1 tie in the top of the 6th :laugh:

Seattle wins 3-1. King Felix and co. throw a 6 hitter. This will probably be the highest offensive output by the M's all season.

Game 2 tomorrow at 5:10am.

When the Yankees played someone else in Japan a few years ago it got all kinds of press (mostly for Hideki Matsui and Chien Ming Wang) and was shown live on ESPN. I remember watching like the 3rd inning while I was getting ready for school one day. Even though it was M's/A's, I would have expected ESPN or someone to at least say something about it beforehand. Even MLB Network wasn't showing the game :laugh:

Yeah the fact that ESPN (or anyone else for that matter) has said nothing about this game is the funniest part to me :laugh:

I was actually planning on waking up this morning at 6 and watching it before heading to class but it wasn't on live

Bud Selig is without a doubt the dumbest commissioner of any major sport in the US. His tenure will go down as the worst in MLB history. The NFL and the NBA have so far passed MLB in popularity its hard to believe MLB ever getting back to where it once was.

The Opening Days(plural) just show that even when Bud attempts to be creative it still does nothing for the sport.

I wonder if David Stern knows anything about baseball and could switch jobs with Selig...

Bud Selig is without a doubt the dumbest commissioner of any major sport in the US. His tenure will go down as the worst in MLB history. The NFL and the NBA have so far passed MLB in popularity its hard to believe MLB ever getting back to where it once was.

The Opening Days(plural) just show that even when Bud attempts to be creative it still does nothing for the sport.

I wonder if David Stern knows anything about baseball and could switch jobs with Selig...

The NBA still exists?

Selig is doing a much better job than Stern IMO. Even though I hate to say it.

No he's not, but you're entitled to your opinion.

My Stern reference was for the fact that he saved the NBA from the abyss which is where MLB has been heading under Bud Selig..

The NBA just had a major work stoppage, over half of the owners lost money last year and they've been struggling with decreasing attendance, and it's currently behind the NHL. Stern has done a pretty awful job with the NBA imo.

Until the MLS becomes more popular, which will probably never happen, baseball will always be King in the summer. Far from "the abyss"

The NBA just had a major work stoppage, over half of the owners lost money last year and they've been struggling with decreasing attendance, and it's currently behind the NHL. Stern has done a pretty awful job with the NBA imo.

Until the MLS becomes more popular, which will probably never happen, baseball will always be King in the summer. Far from "the abyss"

I was referring to the dismal state of the NBA when Stern took over in 1984 and the job he has done since.

I can't believe the amount of people who are sticking up for the job Bud Selig has done as commish. :laugh: Is this a joke?