D7 R25 2023

I do not agree with this at all - it was a great plan by Lucas to start the game, not what you would expect, and it worked in the first Q. The problem is, Dalton adjusted, and when Lucas tried to run it several more times throughout the game, Dalton had it covered and it was not there.
I agree I'm sure no one expected Lucas to come out throwing like that. Does NSP throw better than Lucas?

decided i am driving 2 ashland to see Delton Northwalk Saint Paul friday. will leave at half if bad. we are going to PEPPERMINT HIPPO in AKRON after game for dinner. should be fun.

I have never watched a program regress so fast than Mathews. Sure their schedule was tougher than last year's, but teams they rolled last year had running clocks on them this year. Coaching matters. Several kids quit the team or are playing elsewhere next year from what I hear. Hope I'm wrong. Sad that the job that coach Borhen did was undone so fast. A return to the old Mathews has already happened.
Not really an argument from me, but your facts are off just a bit when you say "teams they rolled last year had running clocks on them this year." Only team they rolled last year that put a running clock on them this year was Fairport Harbor... They did play a tough schedule, 6 opponents made it into the post-season, and two of them are still playing come this weekend... The administration did them no favors when they decided to take Sebring's spot on those MVAC schedules that had a open date... They have some good kids coming up the ranks, just hoping when they get there, coaching will matter.

Watched all of the Malvern/NSP game. A few observations...

-NSP is small - they don't appear to have much size
-NSP seemed to try to play man defense a good portion of the game against the spread of Malvern
-QB has a nice arm and appears accurate - they should look to throw it more
-Malvern probably outgained NSP in this game
-Malvern lost this game more than NSP won it. Malvern was gashing NSP for 5+ yards per carry with #88 running off tackle - they tried to get cute with the passing game instead of just sticking with what was working.

Probably stupid to say this - but based on what I watched. NSP is in trouble both offensively and defensively. Dalton wins this, wouldn't be surprised to see a running clock at some point.
Every team deals in the woulda-coulda-shoulda syndrome in some way, shape or form, every single week. But this is at least the third post on this thread in the last five or so days suggesting Malvern lost more than St. Paul won it, and it's takes away from what was a really good, Division VII football game to watch.

Malvern earned a lot of respect last week. Admittedly, I wasn't sure if they could slug it out with the SP run game, and they definitely did so. But a few things, most of what can be picked up on that same YouTube video of the game:

St. Paul turned it over on downs at the Malvern 19 and 21-yard lines. It probably felt like it left at least 7 points out there, but again, credit Malvern for the stops.

Malvern had exactly one possession where it was in position to take the lead (this is based on 7 points/PATs) when it was 7-7 and they had the ball for 2:35 and gained 14 yards on six plays. Malvern also needed two fourth-and-long conversions (again, to their credit) in the final five minutes to not lose by double-digits. They were not close to getting the ball back for a second possession with a chance at the lead (using 7 points not 8).

Lastly, St. Paul held a conference player of the year to under 75 yards of offense and kept him out of the end zone. The yardage was close, 313-250 in favor of SP according to the newspaper that uses SP official stats. Malvern had 30 rushes for 82 yards, but that includes 3-4 sacks and probably a loss of 25 or so yards. They passed for 168 yards (12 of 31). St. Paul ran 37 for 144 and passed 6 of 10 for 169 per the newspaper story at least. I think they too were sacked at least once.

St. Paul won that football game more than Malvern lost it. It was an even game and they made a few more plays.

No disputing though, they are likely in trouble and no, a running clock at some point by Dalton wouldn't floor me. They look like a state finalist team and it's felt destined that way since the summer, but we'll see soon enough!

Also for those wondering, I think they actually still have two casted players on the defense. Just been that kind of year. As that newspaper story on here said, they definitely took the long road and seemed destined for 3-7 or 4-6 at one point. One of the players who was injured lives a couple houses down (nice family) — so it was nice to see them still win conference and get to this point!

Every team deals in the woulda-coulda-shoulda syndrome in some way, shape or form, every single week. But this is at least the third post on this thread in the last five or so days suggesting Malvern lost more than St. Paul won it, and it's takes away from what was a really good, Division VII football game to watch.

Malvern earned a lot of respect last week. Admittedly, I wasn't sure if they could slug it out with the SP run game, and they definitely did so. But a few things, most of what can be picked up on that same YouTube video of the game:

St. Paul turned it over on downs at the Malvern 19 and 21-yard lines. It probably felt like it left at least 7 points out there, but again, credit Malvern for the stops.

Malvern had exactly one possession where it was in position to take the lead (this is based on 7 points/PATs) when it was 7-7 and they had the ball for 2:35 and gained 14 yards on six plays. Malvern also needed two fourth-and-long conversions (again, to their credit) in the final five minutes to not lose by double-digits. They were not close to getting the ball back for a second possession with a chance at the lead (using 7 points not 8).

Lastly, St. Paul held a conference player of the year to under 75 yards of offense and kept him out of the end zone. The yardage was close, 313-250 in favor of SP according to the newspaper that uses SP official stats. Malvern had 30 rushes for 82 yards, but that includes 3-4 sacks and probably a loss of 25 or so yards. They passed for 168 yards (12 of 31). St. Paul ran 37 for 144 and passed 6 of 10 for 169 per the newspaper story at least. I think they too were sacked at least once.

St. Paul won that football game more than Malvern lost it. It was an even game and they made a few more plays.

No disputing though, they are likely in trouble and no, a running clock at some point by Dalton wouldn't floor me. They look like a state finalist team and it's felt destined that way since the summer, but we'll see soon enough!

Also for those wondering, I think they actually still have two casted players on the defense. Just been that kind of year. As that newspaper story on here said, they definitely took the long road and seemed destined for 3-7 or 4-6 at one point. One of the players who was injured lives a couple houses down (nice family) — so it was nice to see them still win conference and get to this point!
I understand what you're saying, but my thoughts were based on what I was thinking right after having watched the game, it was a 37,000 foot approach - but I'll elaborate further...

- Roughly 70 of those yards (passing) for NSP came on 1 play - a long TD pass to the TE on a wheel route. Take 1 play away, Malvern outgains NSP. Yes, NSP made that play, so you can't take it away from them, but it still gives a glimpse into how the other 99% of the game went.

- My point about Malvern running the ball and Malvern losing the game more than NSP won it is evidenced by the first offensive series of the game (and throughout the rest of the game). A drop, 10 yard pass, sack, false start for a net gain of 3 yards in 4 plays to start the game. Play 5 on 2nd and 18 - the first run of the game for about 2 1/2 yards setting up 3rd and roughly 15. Play 6 - another false start. So they've had 6 plays, 5 passes, 1 run, for a whopping 1 yard net gain setting up 3rd and 20. Play 7 - incomplete pass, punt it away. Did NSP do anything defensively on this drive to stop Malvern, or did they kill that drive all on their own?

- 2nd drive starts: 1st down, yet again another pass, a broken play incomplete. So 8 plays, 1 run, 7 passes, 1 net yard. 2nd down, #88 outside run left, 9 yard gain. 3rd down, QB run for 4 yards. First down. 4th play of the drive, #88 run outside left for 4 yards. Play 5, pass - incomplete, not a great throw, probably could've been caught. 3rd and 6, run for no gain. 4th down Timeout Malvern (dumb), punt. The 2nd down pass killed the drive. 8 pass attempts to 5 runs to start the game. Is Kevin Stafanski coaching this Malvern team? Run the bleeping ball!

- 3rd drive: Pass on first down for 11 yards. Run on 1st down for 4 yards. Run on 2nd down for 4 yards. Run on 3rd down for 8 yards. 1st down pass attempt - sacked for an 8 yard loss. 2nd down pass for 15 yards. 3rd down, pass - sacked for a 4 yard loss. 4th down pass - probably should have been pass interference on NSP, no call, turnover on downs at the NSP 30 yard line. Once again, running the ball with success, looks to throw, disaster strikes. RUN THE BLEEPING BALL!!!!! 13 pass attempts, 8 run plays in the first 3 possessions of the game.

I'm not going to do this and breakdown the whole game - but I think I've said enought to prove my points. Play calling is an issue for Malvern - the coaches did not put the team in the best position to win the game. On first down for NSP following the turnover on downs I just mentioned, NSP throws a screen pass on first down for 45 yards. Add that to the 69 yard TD pass on the TE wheel route in the 3rd quarter, 114 yards of NSP's 313 came on 2 plays. So other than those 2 plays NSP had 199 yards on 45 plays (no bueno).

That was a super long winded way to say, yes, I stand by my and several other posters points - Malvern lost this game more than NSP won it.

I understand what you're saying, but my thoughts were based on what I was thinking right after having watched the game, it was a 37,000 foot approach - but I'll elaborate further...

- Roughly 70 of those yards (passing) for NSP came on 1 play - a long TD pass to the TE on a wheel route. Take 1 play away, Malvern outgains NSP. Yes, NSP made that play, so you can't take it away from them, but it still gives a glimpse into how the other 99% of the game went.

- My point about Malvern running the ball and Malvern losing the game more than NSP won it is evidenced by the first offensive series of the game (and throughout the rest of the game). A drop, 10 yard pass, sack, false start for a net gain of 3 yards in 4 plays to start the game. Play 5 on 2nd and 18 - the first run of the game for about 2 1/2 yards setting up 3rd and roughly 15. Play 6 - another false start. So they've had 6 plays, 5 passes, 1 run, for a whopping 1 yard net gain setting up 3rd and 20. Play 7 - incomplete pass, punt it away. Did NSP do anything defensively on this drive to stop Malvern, or did they kill that drive all on their own?

- 2nd drive starts: 1st down, yet again another pass, a broken play incomplete. So 8 plays, 1 run, 7 passes, 1 net yard. 2nd down, #88 outside run left, 9 yard gain. 3rd down, QB run for 4 yards. First down. 4th play of the drive, #88 run outside left for 4 yards. Play 5, pass - incomplete, not a great throw, probably could've been caught. 3rd and 6, run for no gain. 4th down Timeout Malvern (dumb), punt. The 2nd down pass killed the drive. 8 pass attempts to 5 runs to start the game. Is Kevin Stafanski coaching this Malvern team? Run the bleeping ball!

- 3rd drive: Pass on first down for 11 yards. Run on 1st down for 4 yards. Run on 2nd down for 4 yards. Run on 3rd down for 8 yards. 1st down pass attempt - sacked for an 8 yard loss. 2nd down pass for 15 yards. 3rd down, pass - sacked for a 4 yard loss. 4th down pass - probably should have been pass interference on NSP, no call, turnover on downs at the NSP 30 yard line. Once again, running the ball with success, looks to throw, disaster strikes. RUN THE BLEEPING BALL!!!!! 13 pass attempts, 8 run plays in the first 3 possessions of the game.

I'm not going to do this and breakdown the whole game - but I think I've said enought to prove my points. Play calling is an issue for Malvern - the coaches did not put the team in the best position to win the game. On first down for NSP following the turnover on downs I just mentioned, NSP throws a screen pass on first down for 45 yards. Add that to the 69 yard TD pass on the TE wheel route in the 3rd quarter, 114 yards of NSP's 313 came on 2 plays. So other than those 2 plays NSP had 199 yards on 45 plays (no bueno).

That was a super long winded way to say, yes, I stand by my and several other posters points - Malvern lost this game more than NSP won it.
Jim Carrey Goodbye GIF by Laff

If Lucas had the schedule strength of a couple other teams, they'd still be playing.
We got penalized for playing a top 10 schedule. Tell me I'm wrong...

Lucas #9
Danville #53
Lowellville #55

Well Danville has 1 poster on here. Dalton few and far between. Lowellville maybe 1 hard to tell. NSP 2 and a half?

No Lucas and no JFK has left it like the Sahara desert in

If Lucas had the schedule strength of a couple other teams, they'd still be playing.

Lucas #9
Danville #53
Lowellville #55
You benefitted from great seeding last year, and still couldn't make it to the regional final. Quit your bellyaching. You got to play the frauds from Lowellville and Toronto in the first two rounds. You should have been well rested to take on Danville, but you couldn't close the deal. You struggled to beat Monroeville this year. They were a one and done in the playoffs. You're one wrong hire away from becoming this year's JFK.

You benefitted from great seeding last year, and still couldn't make it to the regional final. Quit your bellyaching. You got to play the frauds from Lowellville and Toronto in the first two rounds. You should have been well rested to take on Danville, but you couldn't close the deal. You struggled to beat Monroeville this year. They were a one and done in the playoffs.
Decent argument. I still feel we were hosed.
Meh Manny Santiago GIF by UFC

You benefitted from great seeding last year, and still couldn't make it to the regional final. Quit your bellyaching. You got to play the frauds from Lowellville and Toronto in the first two rounds. You should have been well rested to take on Danville, but you couldn't close the deal. You struggled to beat Monroeville this year. They were a one and done in the playoffs. You're one wrong hire away from becoming this year's JFK.
I was gonna say.....as one who people often try to bait on here....this smelled funny 😂

Lucas #9
Danville #53
Lowellville #55
I wonder how the seeding would've changed had Lucas beat Hillsdale in week 2....

Dang...didn't take the bait. I thought I'd get a page or 2 out of back and forth over that. We're never getting to 300 with that attitude. Spitler leaving took your fire away.
He's just waiting and praying Dalton wins their next 2 games by more than 25 points each so he can claim for the next 8 months that Lucas was the second best team in the region.
Might be the last chance he gets, if Lucas admin make a wrong choice.