D7 R25 2023

I have it on good authority that Coach Scott Spitler has just retired from coaching.

102 wins at Lucas. What a great run. I've had my differences with his style, but the W/L record speaks for itself.
He has transformed Lucas into a feared foe for any school, at any level. He is a great man, a great leader, a great
coach. He will be missed.

Thanks for everything, coach! 👊👊👊 #CUBPRIDE #WEARELUCAS

Before anyone asks, I have no other information and will not speculate.
Much, much respect.

I have it on good authority that Coach Scott Spitler has just retired from coaching.

102 wins at Lucas. What a great run. I've had my differences with his style, but the W/L record speaks for itself.
He has transformed Lucas into a feared foe for any school, at any level. He is a great man, a great leader, a great

Those are some big shoes and shorts (correct me if I’m wrong, I believe he wore shorts every game no matter how cold) to fill. The next guy, whomever that will be, will have one of the most difficult jobs in following a transformative coach who built a program to such highs.

It’ll be interesting to see the philosophy of the approach, if they hire someone internally and run the same system or bring someone outside who will undoubtedly run a more modern style offense

Lucas had 23 kids on the varsity football team when Scott Spitler took over. Their previous coach quit in the middle of the season and the culture was beyond fractured. His first year, he had 35+ and played a full JV schedule. Over 15 years, he built a program that would play anyone, anywhere, anytime. His Jr. High and JV programs traveled all over to find games and help build that mentality.

Will be interesting to see where Lucas goes from here. I’m sure there will be a lot of interest from all over the area for this opening.

Coach Spitler deserves a ton of credit for turning the football program around and turning them into a force to be reckoned with. Wish him all the best in the future.

I hope whomever they get to replace him is able to move the program forward and continue on the winning tradition the community has come to know and deserve.

So, across my YouTube feed popped up Cole Sarver Media, and I have to say… Might be some of the best “hype” videos I’ve ever seen. Holy Crap these are good. If these existed in my time…you “couldn’t tell me nothin’”. Just a big head parking in the principals spot. Guy appears to do senior pic’s, weddings, hype vids. Orrville 8th grade basketball hype? Check. 15yr old kid needing a commercial for the pressure washing services he offers to locals? Check. Might wanna check these out or bookmark if you have a project coming up. Hype is big for programs and numbers these days…

Here’s the video that popped up when searching the Oh Report:

So, across my YouTube feed popped up Cole Sarver Media, and I have to say… Might be some of the best “hype” videos I’ve ever seen. Holy Crap these are good. If these existed in my time…you “couldn’t tell me nothin’”. Just a big head parking in the principals spot. Guy appears to do senior pic’s, weddings, hype vids. Orrville 8th grade basketball hype? Check. 15yr old kid needing a commercial for the pressure washing services he offers to locals? Check. Might wanna check these out or bookmark if you have a project coming up. Hype is big for programs and numbers these days…

Here’s the video that popped up when searching the Oh Report:
Oh and you need the sound.. The Breckenridge dub over is MONEY,

I have never watched a program regress so fast than Mathews. Sure their schedule was tougher than last year's, but teams they rolled last year had running clocks on them this year. Coaching matters. Several kids quit the team or are playing elsewhere next year from what I hear. Hope I'm wrong. Sad that the job that coach Borhen did was undone so fast. A return to the old Mathews has already happened.

I have never watched a program regress so fast than Mathews. Sure their schedule was tougher than last year's, but teams they rolled last year had running clocks on them this year. Coaching matters. Several kids quit the team or are playing elsewhere next year from what I hear. Hope I'm wrong. Sad that the job that coach Borhen did was undone so fast. A return to the old Mathews has already happened.
Yes. It does.

Interesting look into NSP’s season. Good for them.
That's a nice article and backs up the "coaching matters" comments above. It's coaches like these who can mold kids into responsible and capable adults. Win or lose, they learn lessons. They don't expect or want participation trophies. That's a rarity these days and makes you realize it's the great coaches who "coach" these kids through adversity and don't allow self-pity. Without them the results are a more whiney, entitled, community.

Its your turn to lead LUCAS

Coach Spitler deserves a ton of credit for turning the football program around and turning them into a force to be reckoned with. Wish him all the best in the future.

I hope whomever they get to replace him is able to move the program forward and continue on the winning tradition the community has come to know and deserve.
Hear, hear, brother! Good words.

Lucas had 23 kids on the varsity football team when Scott Spitler took over. Their previous coach quit in the middle of the season and the culture was beyond fractured. His first year, he had 35+ and played a full JV schedule. Over 15 years, he built a program that would play anyone, anywhere, anytime. His Jr. High and JV programs traveled all over to find games and help build that mentality.

Will be interesting to see where Lucas goes from here. I’m sure there will be a lot of interest from all over the area for this opening.
Well said. I'll be anxiously waiting to see who is next.

CONGRATULATIONS.....................CALEB HADLEY#11........................DI SCHOLARSHIP ATHLETE TODAY SIGNING TO THE PENGUINS⚾
Walking Alone GIF by BBC America

Thats how he ran verse NB........................................................... :D :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :cool:

Spitler sure will be missed at Lucas. Good luck on the hunt for the next coach. On a side note I read the posts every day and I have noticed many newbs that seem to want to yank the chains of the long time members. I was very happy to see most veterans ignored them lol. I watched the NSP game with Malvern. The NSP offense seem very similar to the Lucas offense. I think that Dalton wins by at least three scores. I also see Danville winning by three or more scores too.

That's exactly what I was talking about in my earlier post regarding the NSP article. Coaches like this are very rare. You can tell a lot about the quality of the coach by their comments during the seasons. The best coaches don't mention deficiencies or injuries or give excuses. They stay positive and see the big picture. I hope there are a few other great coaches in the making that we aren't aware of yet, and time will prove them to be legends too.

Last edited:
Spitler sure will be missed at Lucas. Good luck on the hunt for the next coach. On a side note I read the posts every day and I have noticed many newbs that seem to want to yank the chains of the long time members. I was very happy to see most veterans ignored them lol. I watched the NSP game with Malvern. The NSP offense seem very similar to the Lucas offense. I think that Dalton wins by at least three scores. I also see Danville winning by three or more scores too.
St. Paul needs to study the 1st quarter of the Lucas v Dalton game. We had them reeling. The quick passes (in the flats) mixed with the run is the recipe to slowing down their defense. Not really sure why we didn't continue that model throughout the next 3 quarters. I'll be rooting for the Flyers. They have the coaching to pull this off.

St. Paul needs to study the 1st quarter of the Lucas v Dalton game. We had them reeling. The quick passes (in the flats) mixed with the run is the recipe to slowing down their defense. Not really sure why we didn't continue that model throughout the next 3 quarters. I'll be rooting for the Flyers. They have the coaching to pull this off.
I think what Lucas had going for them was the style of the offense more than anything. They didn't do anything that surprised anyone, it's just difficult to defend at first when you haven't seen it in person. There were eyes in the backfield, watching all the motion and misdirection. Once the line started reading keys instead of freelancing, they got it figured out. That allowed the linebackers to shift a little more outside. I think the design of the defense was just "we're going to take away what they do best" and that was the run game. I think by design, they would have lived with the outcome of Lucas throwing it to the flats 20 times if that's what they would have decided to do.

Personally - I don't think it was the going away from the short passing game that was Lucas' biggest mistake. I think it was the under-utilization of something else. Though - it's too late in the season for me to give people ideas on how to beat the Bulldogs, so I'm gonna keep that thought in my pocket for now....

I'd say Spitler was legendary status for the Lucas program. From what it was, to how it started, to the heights that he got the program - definitely Legend for Lucas. He will be missed dearly!

For the sake of everyone who pays attention to Lucas - this is a pivotal moment for the program. So many times Legendary coaches leave a program, and it falls to pieces. JFK, Manchester, Perry, Smithville, Dalton to name a few. Piggybacks on the Coaches Matter discussion. Really hoping Lucas takes their time, keeps the politics out of it, and finds/hires the right guy. Good luck to the cubs moving forward!

So many times, Legendary coaches leave a program, and it falls to pieces. JFK, Manchester, Perry, Smithville, Dalton to name a few.
That is exactly what I was thinking. It may seem like a no-brainer to hire someone within the program, but at the same time- it’s still not going to be the same as Spitler, especially with the system he put into place… so many schools, even colleges, are ready to hire alumnus. Still, it doesn’t often equate to success..

Total opposite sport, but look at Tennessee Women’s basketball when they tried replacing Pat Summitt…