D7 R25 2023

That is exactly what I was thinking. It may seem like a no-brainer to hire someone within the program, but at the same time- it’s still not going to be the same as Spitler, especially with the system he put into place… so many schools, even colleges, are ready to hire alumnus. Still, it doesn’t often equate to success..

Total opposite sport, but look at Tennessee Women’s basketball when they tried replacing Pat Summitt…
It's because great coaches do a lot more than coach -they are program builders. It starts on the field/court, yes, they have to win (usually) to establish the culture - but it goes way beyond the X's and O's.

It's because great coaches do a lot more than coach -they are program builders. It starts on the field/court, yes, they have to win (usually) to establish the culture - but it goes way beyond the X's and O's.
Exactly. And it's not a guarantee that someone from within can replicate the program to what it was prior. I'm not the biggest fan of programs with succession plans. Good assistants often don't equate to good head coaches either

This. This is tremendous. Absolutely tremendous. We all know the impact Coach had on his teams because we saw the results. But reading this makes me think of those pictures of icebergs- you only see about 30%.

It was said earlier & bares repeating- congrats to the community for having the patience to bear thru those first few seasons. Once heard a pastor tell a couple at their wedding “all good things are uphill” and Lucas has born that out.

Well done, Coach. Well done

Last edited:
So, across my YouTube feed popped up Cole Sarver Media, and I have to say… Might be some of the best “hype” videos I’ve ever seen. Holy Crap these are good. If these existed in my time…you “couldn’t tell me nothin’”. Just a big head parking in the principals spot. Guy appears to do senior pic’s, weddings, hype vids. Orrville 8th grade basketball hype? Check. 15yr old kid needing a commercial for the pressure washing services he offers to locals? Check. Might wanna check these out or bookmark if you have a project coming up. Hype is big for programs and numbers these days…

Here’s the video that popped up when searching the Oh Report:
He does an excellent job. If you follow him on Instagram or Facebook, he has covered CVCA basketball, Akron Football, West Holmes Football, Wooster football, and might have been some Waynedale wrestling, and several others sports.

State qualifier in track I heard, can he take a hit?

I think what Lucas had going for them was the style of the offense more than anything. They didn't do anything that surprised anyone, it's just difficult to defend at first when you haven't seen it in person. There were eyes in the backfield, watching all the motion and misdirection. Once the line started reading keys instead of freelancing, they got it figured out. That allowed the linebackers to shift a little more outside. I think the design of the defense was just "we're going to take away what they do best" and that was the run game. I think by design, they would have lived with the outcome of Lucas throwing it to the flats 20 times if that's what they would have decided to do.

Personally - I don't think it was the going away from the short passing game that was Lucas' biggest mistake. I think it was the under-utilization of something else. Though - it's too late in the season for me to give people ideas on how to beat the Bulldogs, so I'm gonna keep that thought in my pocket for now....
Good call. All the St Paul coaching staff is on here reading our posts for some game plans on a Wednesday.

Watched all of the Malvern/NSP game. A few observations...

-NSP is small - they don't appear to have much size
-NSP seemed to try to play man defense a good portion of the game against the spread of Malvern
-QB has a nice arm and appears accurate - they should look to throw it more
-Malvern probably outgained NSP in this game
-Malvern lost this game more than NSP won it. Malvern was gashing NSP for 5+ yards per carry with #88 running off tackle - they tried to get cute with the passing game instead of just sticking with what was working.

Probably stupid to say this - but based on what I watched. NSP is in trouble both offensively and defensively. Dalton wins this, wouldn't be surprised to see a running clock at some point.

Watched all of the Malvern/NSP game. A few observations...

-NSP is small - they don't appear to have much size
-NSP seemed to try to play man defense a good portion of the game against the spread of Malvern
-QB has a nice arm and appears accurate - they should look to throw it more
-Malvern probably outgained NSP in this game
-Malvern lost this game more than NSP won it. Malvern was gashing NSP for 5+ yards per carry with #88 running off tackle - they tried to get cute with the passing game instead of just sticking with what was working.

Probably stupid to say this - but based on what I watched. NSP is in trouble both offensively and defensively. Dalton wins this, wouldn't be surprised to see a running clock at some point.
St. Paul being small is nothing new. Probably been that way going back to at least 2014 State Runner-Up squad. Technique and toughness is the name of the game

St. Paul being small is nothing new. Probably been that way going back to at least 2014 State Runner-Up squad. Technique and toughness is the name of the game
Was just an observation about their size, mostly talking about upfront. Worth noting that the 2 teams that were able to give Dalton trouble this year, were able to match or exceed Dalton's size (Kirtland and Norwayne)

Teams with clout that rely on guts and technique (Mogadore, Lucas) did not fair so well.

Lucas really did get robbed with the seeding would have loved to see a Lucas/NSP matchup. I'd say Lucas -9.5 in that game....

It has been their downfall though. When you go against a team with technique and toughness that out weighs you by 50+ lbs a man then you just cant compete. Kennedy was that way when they played the Flyers and Dalton is that way now. SP will give it their all but I believe this game will be ugly.

Dalton vs last years JFK team, who wins and why?
Only going to get jaded answers to this question. Based on Dalton being 0-2 against JFK recently, I'd have a hard time picking Dalton to win a game like that. But the game would be a pick'em and would likely come down to a last play sort of game....
Just saying Danville probably should have beat them last year, and is better this year.
JFK made some head scratching calls and overall did not play all that well in the region last year (yes they won it, but ask the JFK folks)....I'd say Danville didn't get the best version of JFK last year and still lost....

Just saying Danville probably should have beat them last year, and is better this year.
Though I will be fully transparent - Danville has been the only team in the region that has scared me all year. They can score, and by all accounts, they have size to match Dalton.

For those saying NSP should study the Lucas game against Dalton, there's also the flip side. Dalton has already seen it, live, and adjusted accordingly. They have to be chomping at the bit to play NSP next. I've said for years NSP is a team of disciplined over achievers. They are under sized in most games, but always when in the playoffs. That can only get them so far in some games, but sometimes the opponent gets frustrated by being out played by a bunch of smaller guys. D7 R25, so nothing surprises me any more. 54 hours to go. :)

It has been their downfall though. When you go against a team with technique and toughness that out weighs you by 50+ lbs a man then you just cant compete. Kennedy was that way when they played the Flyers and Dalton is that way now. SP will give it their all but I believe this game will be ugly.
That pretty much sums up what I think will happen too. And JFK was the comparison I was thinking of too. But it's always fun to follow these games for the surprises!

Anyone have any streaming info for games this week? Havent decided if I'm going to the game or not - Ashland is a haul for me...

Interesting look into NSP’s season. Good for them.
I went back to finish reading this article and noticed something in one of the pictures. Sure looks like a broken arm in a padded cast. So there will be a one armed man on each side Friday!

To quote Gregg Easterbrook "All predictions wrong or your money back" ->

#1 Dalton (10-1 D7 R25) -23.5___X__ #13 St Paul (8-4 D7 R25) +23.5_____
#2 Danville (12-0 D7 R25) -10.5__X___ #6 Lowellville (11-1 D7 R25) +10.5_____
#4 Harvest Prep (10-1 D5 R19) -7.5__X___ #1 Ironton (11-1 D5 R19) +7.5_____
#3 Fort Frye (9-2 D6 R23) Pick ‘em!_____ #2 West Jefferson (11-1 D6 R23) X_
#1 Hopewell-Loudon (12-0 D7 R26) -8.5__X___ #5 Patrick Henry (10-2 D7 R26) +8.5_____
#7 Lima Central Catholic (8-3 D7 R26) Pick ‘em!X_ #6 McComb (10-2 D7 R26) _____
#4 West Branch (11-1 D4 R13) -3.5__X___ #1 Canton South (12-0 D4 R13) +3.5______
#2 Lake Catholic (10-2 D4 R13) -6.5__X___ #6 Struthers (9-3 D4 R13) +6.5_____
#1 Perkins (11-0 D4 R14) -25.5_____#4 West Holmes (10-2 D4 R14) +25.5__X___
#6 Coldwater (11-1 D5 R18) -5.5__X___ #2 Edison (Milan) (11-1 D5 R18) +5.5_____

D7 R25 this week. Which team will have the highest score? How about the lowest?
California computers say both of those occur in Ashland Friday.

1699478281036.png

1699478306586.png

St. Paul needs to study the 1st quarter of the Lucas v Dalton game. We had them reeling. The quick passes (in the flats) mixed with the run is the recipe to slowing down their defense. Not really sure why we didn't continue that model throughout the next 3 quarters. I'll be rooting for the Flyers. They have the coaching to pull this off.
I do not agree with this at all - it was a great plan by Lucas to start the game, not what you would expect, and it worked in the first Q. The problem is, Dalton adjusted, and when Lucas tried to run it several more times throughout the game, Dalton had it covered and it was not there.