Cross County Conference 2020 Season

I agree with wrecktangle on his points from above...the coaching in this league is miserable. The CCC is bad now, and they are losing the crown jewel in FL and the other two teams are going to a new conference....

The new CCC will contend with the NWCC as the worst football conference in the state of ohio. The NWCC will be a step ahead because they have Lima Perry which is three touchdowns better than anyone the new CCC will have.

This, with the addition of Preble Shawnee and Dixie in the WOAC, I can see Preble/ Tri Village running the conference for the next several years. Now as for Dixie goes. They are a big question mark but looking at there scores from the SWBL so far. They havent been great but they have played some stout teams. They could easily go 4-6 or 5-5 next year.

Quite frankly if Dixie does better than that it will prove my points above even more.

As a lifetime TVS supporter I can agree with pretty much everything that you are saying. Some key points that you mentioned that I will comment on, because I agree that these all have a negative impact on our program and lead to why we don't have much success.

In terms of the boys in our high school. TVS does have soccer and in recent years, we've had enough boys to play some JV soccer games. Imagine if all of those boys played football!! On top of that I don't feel that our pee wee program has been run all that well. A lot of focus on winning and not building and teaching all the kids. I've seen a lot of good kids get run away at a young age. Also, we typically have 40-45 kids on our team, which is great numbers. Only 25-30 are bought in. The coaches beg and recruit kids in the hallways and some kids miss a bunch of the summer workouts and show up when the season starts. Then with 45 kids on our team, you will see 15 kids in street clothes on Friday nights, and we are struggling to have JV games. That's a problem.

In terms of the weight room, our kids have a lifting schedule, but it's usually right after school and I'm not sure how much they actually push themselves. I imagine it is used as a hangout session for some.

As for the coaching..... I just tried to get another count, but in the last 20 years, we have had 8 different head coaches. That's if I didn't even miss someone, which is possible. Talk about not building a tradition/culture. Miller did it some before he left, and Cates had things rolling. I think Cates came along at the perfect time as we had a great group of kids come through at that time. But we were fun to watch, and I think we would be in a much better place right now if we still had Cates. Our current coach was about number 4-5 on our head coaching list, but all of our top candidates rejected us. If that tells you a little bit about our coaching issues. It's not like we get to handpick a good coach to come in. If we could get a good coach to come in and stay for a while, and work with the kids that are bought into the football program. I think there is the talent at TVS to be able to win a decent amount of football games. Not saying we would win the conference, but 5-5 could be a normal season and not a decent season for us.

Completely agree. I think the biggest thing I have seen out of TVS is the players being completely mismanaged. Not lack of talent. Everyone has down years when it comes to talent but I have seen some stellar defensive plays where if they were just placed in different spots and maybe running a 5-3 rather than the 4-4 I have seen a couple times and use some of those big boys you have had. It would have been a different season.

Like Cates took a 5-5 team into an 8-2 team. That is no small feat. And the WAY he beat the opponents with those kids was awesome.

Well Fort Loramie won 41-7 against Covington to clinch a spot in the CCC championship game and if Tri-Village wins tonight at Bradford they will also clinch a spot in the CCC championship game as well. Also regions come out today!

watched the game last night....you want to talk about poor coaching and making no adjustments....Covington was outcoached.....Why would you keep playing man and keep getting torched. Make an adjustment and take away #81. FL only targeted one other kid the entire night, but they never needed too because Covington kept pressing and playing man on FL's best WR.

Holy smokes, disappointed in Covington's coaching to say the least. 3 FL touchdowns were just because they had a plan and Covington didn't

Well Fort Loramie won 41-7 against Covington to clinch a spot in the CCC championship game and if Tri-Village wins tonight at Bradford they will also clinch a spot in the CCC championship game as well. Also regions come out today!

Can't imagine TV having any kind of shot against FL. I heard last year FL had 42 at halftime. TV might have a good QB but they won't stand a chance against the physicality of FL.

FL has a very good QB, a really good WR and two absolutely bruising running backs.

watched the game last night....you want to talk about poor coaching and making no adjustments....Covington was outcoached.....Why would you keep playing man and keep getting torched. Make an adjustment and take away #81. FL only targeted one other kid the entire night, but they never needed too because Covington kept pressing and playing man on FL's best WR.

Holy smokes, disappointed in Covington's coaching to say the least. 3 FL touchdowns were just because they had a plan and Covington didn't
Covington was outmanned..... the Fort have SOLID returning players from last years team...... how many starters did the BUCCS return.....#81 was a beast, made great catches.... and only a sophomore.....

Covington was outmanned..... the Fort have SOLID returning players from last years team...... how many starters did the BUCCS return.....#81 was a beast, made great catches.... and only a sophomore.....

I am not arguing that point, but at what point in the first half do you play some zone and maybe double 81 up? They literally just played him man the entire time and he had 170+ at halftime....

I initially thought they should change the coverage on the Redskin receivers, but if they had doubled up anyone Fort Loramie would have just run the ball down Covington's throat instead.

Covington needed to commit what was necessary to stop the run and hope to get lucky against the pass.

Bless,

While I agree with you on the culture. I am going to have to throw the genetics thing out the window.

The biggest problem with the CCC in its current state and it being one of the weakest conferences in Ohio is a culture and coaching issue. Not genetics.

For the sake of this argument I am going to remove Fort Loramie from the discussion due to the fact they havent been in the CCC that long and wont be in the new WOAC. Also Fort Loramie is going to be the exception to what I am going to say here.

Some of the comments I have read in this forum recently are almost on the level of insane to me. For example "weight lifting is overrated." Uhhhh What? lol In any level of football, being in shape, stronger and faster then the guy ahead of you. Weight lifting doesn't just do this for your team though it builds teamwork and a culture around your program. A few years ago I saw a youtube video where Covington kids were going into the weight room at 5:30 AM. My old high school in Washington had the same thing, we called it "Zero Hour". I formed bonds with my fellow players and it created a culture because the players knew if they weren't there, they weren't playing. We worked for every yard in every game and went to two state championships.

The MAC relying on speed? Well sure they do. They also have a huge amount of success because a lot of the schools up there do not offer soccer. Its football or nothing. I know coaches in the CCC that would KILL to have some of those soccer players. I just looked up both Coldwater and Fort Recovery that you mentioned, neither one offer soccer. Also if we look at John DIrksen for example. He was a 295 pound lineman that got recruited by Notre Dame. but he was a mean lean 295 pounds. So in some respects some of the comments in this forum are correct, Marion Local doesn't have out of shape kids starting but they aren't these small athletic kids either.

I suggest giving that article a read that came out in 2016 if you haven't seen it.

Now to the main part, if you look at each school in the CCC currently and what each school tries to do offensively and defensively and take a step back and actually look at each program its pretty obvious what its biggest issues are and what they aren't:

Covington: This is a top tier school and its a shame that the WOAC is losing them. Ty Cates took an already successful program and has kept it there. Which is no small feat. He maintained and even improved up its culture. Now before TY everyone knew what Covington was doing. The Triple Option. One of the best defenses against this is the 5-4 Oklahoma. Never saw a team run it, nor did I see very many teams really stop it. We can see that in the records and scores year in and year out. Also in 2015 when Ty Cates took over with the boys having to learn a whole new offense and defense, 8-3 season. More on Ty later. Once again it is a coaching issue. Most coaches in this area are simply not that experienced and if they are they have been around too long and dont know how to coach there kids to stop it.

Miami East
: This school is probably the biggest example because of how long they were in the conference and not having changed coaches. I played against this team when I was at Greenon when both were in the CBC in 2004. Max Current is still the head coach there and everyone knows what this guy loves to do. Dive, Dive, Dive, and the Dive some more. Its his bread and butter. yet in the CBC where schools are not that much bigger than the CCC he didn't do well. 04 season: 2-8 05 Season - 0-10 06 Season: 3-7 First year in the CCC didnt do well but to be expected becasue of no experience against these coaches/teams but still an improvement. 07 Season: 8-3. Now think about that for a second. Really think. 2nd year in a conference and he went 8-3. And judging by the scores im looking at here. Most of them were complete routes. And Miami East has continued to be one of the most dominant teams in the CCC by far year in and year out. Max has a culture and maintains a discipline up there in Casstown. He also has one of the best offensive lines day in and day out every year. Also all the way up to this year the worst season he has had is a 6-4. The rest from 2007 to now have either been 7-3, 8-2 etc etc.

Tri Village: This school obviously not everyone knows a lot about football wise and I certainly don't, however just looking at it online seeing some youtube videos you can see that this coach does in fact knows what he is doing. WIth this school already having created a culture and exceling in other sports it is no surprise to see that this school is already with just a few short years of having football is already exceling. This simply comes down to culture, excitement around a new sport, and having found the right coach for the job. The kids there came off a couple 3-7 seasons to turn around now having experience in the game and are KILLING other teams in the sport. Off to an awesome 3-0 start it will be exciting to see how these guys turn out in the years to come.

Twin Valley South: In my time here in Preble County, I can only remember one season where they did well. and as is those years in small schools where you have the athletes that you can truly run whatever you want and be successful. I was at the game and I think everyone between Lewisburg and West Alex was when they two undefeated teams in the CCC TCN and TVS came together. It was a packed house. With Bill at the helm still though the outcome was predetermined. Bill Derringer was one of the best coaches TCN has ever had and after TVS doing exceptionally well throughout the conference the game ended with a 42-15 score in favor of TCN. but also if you look at who was coaching them in the 2014 season, Well look no further than Covingtons Ty Cates. 2014 Southwest District Division 6 coach of the year. Bill knew what he needed to do to shut them down and he did it. Since then and even in that game and I have watched most of them every year. I still have yet to determine what their offensive and defensive philosophy is. This year when watching them they were running this weird spread/ace package where either the playbook or play calling didnt flow well. Timing was also way off. And this is how I have seen most of South's teams. TCN has had some of the worst coaches I have ever seen in the last 3 years, running a 3-5 defense has your base in a run focused conference yet South still hasnt been able to pull out a win against TCN. It would be awesome to see West Alex show the same support for every team like they did in 2014.

Tri County North: This school is probably the biggest evidence I can have about culture and coaching. This school went from one of the most dominant in the conference every year with Bill Derringer to one of the bottom with the last two coaches having last 2 years and 1 year. The discipline and culture with the kids at the school the last 3 years has been atrocious. TCN had one of the best defensive lines in the league 3 years ago and the sheer lack of discipline lost them games. (Even one player got ejected against Bradford because he wouldn't shut his mouth. 13 player squad at Bradford had more discipline and class. Come on now.) There record in 2018 was 6-4. That doesn't look bad from the outside but in all reality they should have won the conference except for sheer lack of discpline, fitness, and coaching gameplan every game was just bad. They had all the talent in the world. Brookville that season, 22-0 in the half, Brookville came out in the 2nd half and won 26-22. Insane. Ansonia that year got utterly screwed by the refs on HORRIBLE Calls. Most of Arcanums starters were hurt by the time North played them. They barely got by NT when it should have been a shutout. The three teams with good coaches came in and completely shut them out. North with one of the best D-lines if not the best lost to the Dive focused ME 42-0. HOW, well by running a base 3-5 and not switching till it was too late.

Ansonia, Arcanum, Bethel: These three teams I am going to talk about all in the same way because 1. I dont know a lot about them but two from what I could see year to year they all have one thing in common. They have all been 1 trick ponies. Ansonia the last several years had a good reciever and a good QB. That was there default setting. They would send the reciever on one of three patterns. a Post, Corner, or Fly route and score. Thats what they had. Arcanum usually tried to ground and pound with no real aerial attack at all, and Bethel has relied on spread with the speed backs they have had the last couple years. That sums them up. I feel has though they have been building and building but really just havent been able to breach a ceiling.

National Trail: These guys have been somewhat interesting in recent years due to the head coach coming and going. Whenever he is there they do reasonably well and compete when he isn't they fall apart. I don't even remember the guys name currently for some reason its slipping. But once again it shows the example of Coaching being key. he plays to there strengths. He isnt stubborn and knows what he needs to do with his players. Trail in recent years has had an excellent passing attack because he knows what they are working with. Last season for example they competed in every game except for Covington. It was 1-2 touchdown games. What those scores tell me is certain penalties or kids not executing is all it came down too.

Overall My point of making this post is because I feel like some of these discussions turn into a muddied mess of trying to explain why the CCC teams have done poorly either in conference our post season for a very long time. In all reality is that its the coaching and the kind of football that is played in the CCC. Every game it is even questionable whether teams have coached special teams. I was absolutely shocked about how piss poor special teams are in this conference. I have never seen so many missed field goals in my life.

This post is not to put anyone down, but more of a reality check on what this conference is and what it isnt. The MAC which everyone here loves commenting about isnt good because any other reason other than the culture and the coaches they have hired. You don't win every year without those two things. WIth the revolving door of coaches and the quality the CCC has hired I dont see that changing anytime soon.

This is only your third post? Please by all means, continue to post. Lots of interesting ideas and thought put into this regardless of if you agree or disagree.

I expected FL to beat Covington in that manner this season. Covington is slightly down while FL is strong. FL is too strong on both lines for any team in the CCC in 2020.

I initially thought they should change the coverage on the Redskin receivers, but if they had doubled up anyone Fort Loramie would have just run the ball down Covington's throat instead.

Covington needed to commit what was necessary to stop the run and hope to get lucky against the pass.

This right here is what i believe is correct.

FL is smart in the way they run a 3-4 Defesne. If you look at what they did what with their adjusters and brought them up on the line effectively making it a 5-2 but still gave them flexibility on the contain. It was well done. However I believe Covington is a young team this year, and so is FL however FL just had better athletes.

When your QB is dual threat like that. It is hard to stop at really any level.

Watching the TCN/ME live stream right now.

This ME team is small.

Neither team can stop the middle.

Last edited:
after watching Shawnee tonight vs Milton I'm not sure they run through the new league. They have speed but lack endurance. Milton just wore them down with their size. Mind you, Milton was without several starters this week.

The CCC Championship game is set Tri-village vs Fort Loramie and also 11th place game is set Bradford vs Twin Valley South I don't know who will be home or away in these games

after watching Shawnee tonight vs Milton I'm not sure they run through the new league. They have speed but lack endurance. Milton just wore them down with their size. Mind you, Milton was without several starters this week.

While this might be the case, I think you would be surprised by the........teams on this side of the aisle.

Bradford also now has the solo lead for the biggest losing streak in the state of Ohio right now with 36 stright losses

Last edited:
>>>> The only team to opt out of the playoffs for the CCC is Bradford

Not just the CCC, but for the playoffs as a whole there are going to be some very lopsided games. If the pairings were done by points, I see Marion Local at the top of their district for D7 and TVS/Ridgemont at the bottom. That will be a long drive home for who ever has to drive up to Marion Local.

Some critical games this week as far as getting positioned for the playoffs and the final conference game.

Trail has lost their last two games. They host Ansonia, but even being at home I give the nod to the Tigers.

Covington has to travel to Lewisburg to play TCN. Can the Bucc's get their swagger back? Will the Panthers use the home field to their advantage? I think that it will be a close game. North has to establish their ground game and not give Covington time to throw. If Covington can pass effectively I like their chances. But I am going with North on this one, probably because I am an alum.

Rightfully so. Much better for them to play Springfield Catholic Central than play a game where they'll likely lose by 50

The whole format in general is bad! Everyone making the playoffs is not going to be good for football or the teams that are bad that decided to play.

TVS/Ridgemont in the first round against Marion Local/NB or FL is stupid. Marion's 8th grade team would beat both of those teams. Yes that is outlandish.

Don't forget about the god awful Cincinnati teams in this region as well. Miami Valley, CCPA, New Miami, Manchester, Cedarville. All these teams are going to get absolutely destroyed.

ML/NB/FL could hang 100 if they wanted, and they might score 80+ unless they ask their kids to run out of bounds. The playoffs are time to build and push for the great prize. This region is going to see a ton of 60-70+ scores without trying. Especially if the top seeds are allowed to pick where they want to go. If it is a predetermined bracket that will help because it will pit the lower seeds against one another and the top seeds getting byes.

The whole format in general is bad! Everyone making the playoffs is not going to be good for football or the teams that are bad that decided to play.

TVS/Ridgemont in the first round against Marion Local/NB or FL is stupid. Marion's 8th grade team would beat both of those teams. Yes that is outlandish.

Don't forget about the god awful Cincinnati teams in this region as well. Miami Valley, CCPA, New Miami, Manchester, Cedarville. All these teams are going to get absolutely destroyed.

ML/NB/FL could hang 100 if they wanted, and they might score 80+ unless they ask their kids to run out of bounds. The playoffs are time to build and push for the great prize. This region is going to see a ton of 60-70+ scores without trying. Especially if the top seeds are allowed to pick where they want to go. If it is a predetermined bracket that will help because it will pit the lower seeds against one another and the top seeds getting byes.
I dont like it either but I'll take it over nothing at all.

This league was a good league to play in. FL is very appreciative of the CCC to allow them to play in their conference. Its sad to see the conference go. Just hoping my skins dont stay independent too long...........

For Week 5, I've got:

Fort Loramie 56 TVS 0
Tri Village 56 Miss Valley 7
TCN 21 Covington 14
Bethel 21 Miami East 14
Arcanum 42 Bradford 6
Ansonia 28 National Trail 21