Competitive balance

Here we go again. Lets see who recruits like Crazy. Could it be St. Eds and their entire conference. Toledo CC, Glenville, Ursuline, Hoban, Walsh, St V.
Anyone who makes it to finals yearly except for Marion local area. All those teams should be in same division and lower divisions to 3 and put all cheaters together.
Define cheating with specific known violations , schools, coaches, players and benefits given. If you can't its time you just close it down.

When will they finally remove competitive balance for sports. With open enrollment, charter schools, loopholes in language it’s not competitive balance for PRIVATE SCHOOLS at all. Every public school athlete receives a “Scholarship” do they not? Word it any way you want. It’s Free. Some school districts give parents jobs housing etc. (You know who you are) So it’s time to eliminate this biased system. Any thoughts
Please, by all means let the Private schools have their own special division and playoff just for them.

Define cheating with specific known violations , schools, coaches, players and benefits given. If you can't its time you just close it down.
Any of these qualify. The OHSAA just does not enforce them so your cheating buddies get to rule the roost as it has turned into the wild west where a good player can play for 3 to 4 schools during their career.

Operating Definitions of Recruiting​

Bylaw 4-9-1 A student is considered a prospective athlete after enrolling in the seventh grade, or the grade corresponding to the seventh grade for a student from a foreign country, irrespective of whether the student is currently enrolled in a public 7th-8th grade school located within a public school district or a non-public school that is part of a non-public system. Any attempt to recruit a prospective student-athlete for athletic purposes shall be strictly prohibited.

Bylaw 4-9-2 For purposes of this Bylaw Section 9, the term “recruit” shall mean the use of influence by any person connected or not connected with the school to secure the enrollment of a prospective student-athlete for athletic purposes. The Executive Director’s Office may suspend the privilege of participation in interscholastic athletics for up to 30 days during the pendency of any alleged recruiting violation.
*There are two excpetions to this rule. Please review the bylaw for more information about the exceptions.*

Remaining Recruiting Bylaws​

Bylaw 4-9-3...Outlines seven different scenarios where marketing, though a form of recruting students, is permitted. Please review the actual bylaw languge to review the list.

Bylaw 4-9-4...Outlines ten different forms of recruiting that are prohibited by this bylaw. This list is not intended to be all encompassing. Please review the actual bylaw languge to review the list.

Bylaw 4-9-5 Prior to enrollment, a student-athlete may visit a public or non-public school in contemplation of enrollment, as long as that contemplated enrollment is consistent with Board of Education or similar governing board policy formally adopted by that school district and arrangements for the visit are made through the principal and/or school administrator designated by the Board of Education or similar governing board. During such an event, it is permissible for a coach to talk with a prospective student-athlete in the presence of a school administrator if the conversation centers around program procedures and expectations but not the student’s expected impact on the program. After the conclusion of the visit, a coach is not permitted to have further communication with the prospective student-athlete about athletics (outside the context of another open house/information session/shadow day) prior to 1) the student’s application fee being submitted to the school (for tuition based schools) or 2) the school accepting the student’s application for enrollment (for non-tuition based schools).

Bylaw 4-9-6 All questions relating to enrollment, attendance or the athletic program shall be handled through the school administration or the admissions office. If a coach is contacted by a parent or another individual who is advocating for a student, the coach is obligated to immediately disclose this contact to a school administrator and to cease all contact with the prospective student and/or parents until 1) the student’s application fee is submitted to the school (for tuition based schools) or 2) the school accepts the student’s application for enrollment (for non-tuition based schools).

Bylaw 4-9-7 Any violation of the recruiting prohibitions as set forth in this bylaw may cause the recruited student-athlete to be ineligible upon enrollment. If it is determined by the Executive Director’s Office that a student-athlete was recruited in violation of these prohibitions, the Executive Director’s Office may deny the student-athlete from participation (which may include participation in the OHSAA tournament) in the sport or sports for which the student-athlete was recruited. Furthermore, the school into which the recruited student-athlete enrolls or the school the recruiting attempts were intended to benefit shall be subject to sanctions as set forth in Bylaw 11. If a coach has been found to have violated these recruiting prohibitions by the Executive Director’s Office, and is employed/approved to coach in the ensuing school year by another member school in the same sport in which the violations occurred, the school where the coach is employed/approved to coach may be subject to other penalties as set forth in Bylaw 11 including, but not limited to, ineligibility for OHSAA tournament competition in that sport.

Less divisions would work but still put the non-cheating teams in a huge disadvantage.
Everyone wonders why attendance is dropping like a rock for state games. Same teams every single year. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
The non cheating teams are at a huge disadvantage no matter what. In the top division it's my personal belief that the vast majority of the good public schools are also cheating to some extent. I'd be shocked if everything was on the up and up at schools like Mentor, Pick Central, Colerain, Wayne, Hilliard Davidson, Centerville, Coffman, Winton Woods, Lakota West, etc.. If we went 4 divisions and a little more stricter competitive balance I think that would make it a lot better. It's never going to be perfect.

The non cheating teams are at a huge disadvantage no matter what. In the top division it's my personal belief that the vast majority of the good public schools are also cheating to some extent. I'd be shocked if everything was on the up and up at schools like Mentor, Pick Central, Colerain, Wayne, Hilliard Davidson, Centerville, Coffman, Winton Woods, Lakota West, etc.. If we went 4 divisions and a little more stricter competitive balance I think that would make it a lot better. It's never going to be perfect.
agreed ...it will never be perfect but fewer divisions and a cb according to win per centage instead of transfers will put elite teams in right division.

That reminds me, I have to do my income tax.

Taking advantage of all the exemptions, deductions, credits, and other legal loopholes is also considered cheating by some people.

When will they finally remove competitive balance for sports. With open enrollment, charter schools, loopholes in language it’s not competitive balance for PRIVATE SCHOOLS at all. Every public school athlete receives a “Scholarship” do they not? Word it any way you want. It’s Free. Some school districts give parents jobs housing etc. (You know who you are) So it’s time to eliminate this biased system. Any thoughts

Public schools aren't allowed to turn down a student.

Privates are free to pick and choose who they wish to "educate."

If you think that's the same, idk what to tell you

Two changes that could be made:
- Count the previous year's 10-12 enrollment rather than 9-11. Such a projection is more accurate for more schools -- especially those schools which suffer a high dropout rate.
- Base initial numbers on average daily attendance rather than raw enrollment. This would at least be a step towards addressing the disparity between the kids who are theoretically eligible but realistically will never participate.

Public schools aren't allowed to turn down a student.

Privates are free to pick and choose who they wish to "educate."

If you think that's the same, idk what to tell you
You'er clueless if you actually think that. You think Privates are only taking who they want. If your kid can handle the discipline and curriculum and your check don't bounce then your in . Got plenty of bills to pay.

And if you don't like the rules then send your kids to a private .

You think Private School parents like paying your School District Taxes , Buying your kids books, Building Your Football Stadiums, Buying your Band Equipment, Paying for your kids Lunches ?

Its the rules remember

You think Private School parents like paying your School District Taxes , Buying your kids books, Building Your Football Stadiums, Buying your Band Equipment, Paying for your kids Lunches ?

Its the rules remember

You are no different than the elderly, young and single, or people with no kids, or no house. We all have the same right to vote For or Against school levies. However it is pretty myopic not to realize how you and your neighborhood benefit from a strong public school system.

agreed ...it will never be perfect but fewer divisions and a cb according to win per centage instead of transfers will put elite teams in right division.
I'm going to disagree with the last part in bold. If a school like Marion Local is winning that much the right way then they deserve it. I don't see why they should be forced up just because they are good.

It’s 2024 and the amount of old heads thinking kids going where they want to school is cheating.

Public’s can get any and all kids with transfers as well. Offer better resources and kids may go, until then, look in the mirror and stop blaming select schools public or private that offer kids.

Personally there’s about 250 too many HS in Ohio. D6-D7 should be absolved into larger districts. Biggest Waste of tax payers dollars in the state is funding these smaller schools.

It’s 2024 and the amount of old heads thinking kids going where they want to school is cheating.

Public’s can get any and all kids with transfers as well. Offer better resources and kids may go, until then, look in the mirror and stop blaming select schools public or private that offer kids.

Personally there’s about 250 too many HS in Ohio. D6-D7 should be absolved into larger districts. Biggest Waste of tax payers dollars in the state is funding these smaller schools.
If you dont think schools recruit, than you crazy. Its been a issue for decades. A small private school like Ursuline has a bunch of recruits and then gets to play a normal d-5 school that does not recruit and beats them by 50. I know we cant solve the recruit issue by privates and open enrollment schools that get a bunch like Glenville and Ftich but at least bump up Ursuline to a division they belong which is probably d-3.

If you dont think schools recruit, than you crazy. Its been a issue for decades. A small private school like Ursuline has a bunch of recruits and then gets to play a normal d-5 school that does not recruit and beats them by 50. I know we cant solve the recruit issue by privates and open enrollment schools that get a bunch like Glenville and Ftich but at least bump up Ursuline to a division they belong which is probably d-3.
The example was when Ursuline was in lower class, not right now.

1 division for private, urban and suburban.

100 divisions for small rural so they can stop crying and enjoy a trophy.

That would end a lot of the crying. Then the OHSAA board will get what they want. Lots of cash and make all of the small rurals that majority of them come from happy.

Probably no easy answers because those are gonna cheat and skirt any rules are gonna cheat and find ways to skirt rules.

You'er clueless if you actually think that. You think Privates are only taking who they want. If your kid can handle the discipline and curriculum and your check don't bounce then your in . Got plenty of bills to pay.

And if you don't like the rules then send your kids to a private .

Its the rules remember
I went to public school. My freshman year a girl was caught with drugs at school and expelled. She was back within a month because no other school would accept her and since she lived within the district lines we were required to educate her. Have never seen a private be required to educate a student.

If you dont think schools recruit, than you crazy. Its been an issue for decades. A small private school like Ursuline has a bunch of recruits and then gets to play a normal d-5 school that does not recruit and beats them by 50. I know we cant solve the recruit issue by privates and open enrollment schools that get a bunch like Glenville and Ftich but at least bump up Ursuline to a division they belong which is probably d-3.
It’s never been an issue. Create places where kids won’t want to leave. Taking away students fundamental rights in a free society is wild. It’s been absurd for decades to hamstring kids into staying at terrible schools.

Kids work there whole lives and here you are saying they have to stay and play and terrible situations.

Stupidity at its finest.

1 division for private, urban and suburban.

100 divisions for small rural so they can stop crying and enjoy a trophy.

That would end a lot of the crying. Then the OHSAA board will get what they want. Lots of cash and make all of the small rurals that majority of them come from happy.

It’s never been an issue. Create places where kids won’t want to leave. Taking away students fundamental rights in a free society is wild. It’s been absurd for decades to hamstring kids into staying at terrible schools.

Kids work there whole lives and here you are saying they have to stay and play and terrible situations.

Stupidity at its finest.
I never said that kids should be forced to stay anywhere. I have said that we know schools, coaches, and other people recruit players from other schools and are football and other sports factories. I just feel that these schools should be forced to move up to a realistic division instead of pummeling schools that dont cheat.

Stupidity at its finest.
Toledo Central Catholic should be in d-1 and so should Glenville.

Stupidity at its finest.
I have no problem letting kids/families choose the school that fits their situation the best. I have a problem pretending that 300 boys at a private school is the same as 300 boys at a public school. Don't make divisions based on only one metric, and expect it to work when the metric is flawed.

I went to public school. My freshman year a girl was caught with drugs at school and expelled. She was back within a month because no other school would accept her and since she lived within the district lines we were required to educate her. Have never seen a private be required to educate a student.
What kind of drugs?