Columbus bidding on state finals

Why was it needed and how much cash do they need to have on hand for you to think is too much?
They spent silly for the dozen or so years prior to the board (include the member schools) "realizing" that spending needed to be reigned in.
It is very easy to project they will have well over 20 million of cash balance as of 7/31/23.
Well then, you'd better let them know because their projections for 2022-2023 state a $3 million surplus. (down from almost $6 million this year)

Watching the stream of Steubenville game at Crew Stadium. The stadium turf looks terrible and I see players from both sides slipping quite a bit. If Columbus is serious about hosting I hope they come up with a better venue than this place. Championship deserves to be played on a top notch “football” playing surface, not a multi use field with lines all over the place and sub par turf. If that turf is new it sure does not look like it.
Agree 100% That surface is junk, and that game was played in what would be considered “perfect” conditions for late November in Ohio. A bit of sleet, snow or rain and it would have been way worse. Not sure what off brand they put down, but they chose poorly.

for what? And who is this "we?" I thought you were in Carolina.

Your post doesn't seem to have any connect to the one your quoted.
Your post indicated that you would like to see a domed stadium for high school football. My question was simply asking what you are personally willing to do to help make it happen.

You saying this is strong evidence those would be very promising options that would enhance the Ohio high school football culture and reputation.

Your post indicated that you would like to see a domed stadium for high school football. My question was simply asking what you are personally willing to do to help make it happen.

That post? No, that post is just me taking a poke. IDK one way or the other about a Domed stadium. If someone could show a communtiy based domed stadium had potential to improve the community, I wouldn't hesitate to chip in. Wouldn't be a difference maker but I'd put money where my mouth is. I nearly always do. Money is the least of things in life.

Well then, you'd better let them know because their projections for 2022-2023 state a $3 million surplus. (down from almost $6 million this year)
I am sure they already know that their projection is a joke before they published it. With Covid in rear view mirror attendance was only going to go up this year there is no way they truly expected income to go down 3 million. That number was all for public show to justify still charging the schools a tournament entry fee among other reasons.

BTW they have history of terrible budgets. Here is the 20-21 they only missed by about 7 million. Any private industry the entire finance staff involved in budget would have been fired missing this badly.

1669566547014.png

I am sure they already know that their projection is a joke before they published it.
Let us know when they have $50 million in the bank 🤣

At the end of the day, we are talking about a private organization. The members have the final say in what happens...... yet, they haven't said much to this point. ;)

Last edited:
Ok I see you don't want to have a serious conversation. Good day sir.
You called the projections by the OHSAA a joke, right after claiming they would have $50 million in the bank. I brought that irony to light and you got offended.

These "conversations" about a private organization are never serious. It's just the tri-annual gripe session that goes on here during the football, basketball, and baseball tournaments.

You called the projections by the OHSAA a joke, right after claiming they would have $50 million in the bank. I brought that irony to light and you got offended.

These "conversations" about a private organization are never serious. It's just the tri-annual gripe session that goes on here during the football, basketball, and baseball tournaments.
Then why are you so easily offended by them? Your anger seeps. Is it personal?

Setting aside a moment your automatic laughing reactions, I'm giving you a chance to show you're actually a thinking man. That there's reasoning behind this post.

Why are you so easily offended by them? Your anger seeps. Is it personal? There are MANY threads that repeat and are automatic every season. The rest of us roll with it.

New people join and want to enter the discussion. Old people rehash. Why are you so offended? How is discussion about "domed" stadiums or Columbus bidding state finals a personal risk to you?

Setting aside a moment your automatic laughing reactions, I'm giving you a chance to show you're actually a thinking man. That there's reasoning behind this post.

Why are you so easily offended by them? Your anger seeps. Is it personal? There are MANY threads that repeat and are automatic every season. The rest of us roll with it.

New people join and want to enter the discussion. Old people rehash. Why are you so offended? How is discussion about "domed" stadiums or Columbus bidding state finals a personal risk to you?
🤣@ the guy who suggested a former OHSAA employee admitted there was a conspiracy to keep the games out of Canton

Like I said.... no serious discussions.....

Last edited:
🤣@ the guy who suggested a former OHSAA employee admitted there was a conspiracy to keep the games out of Canton

Like I said.... no serious discussions.....

🤣@ the guy that took an obvious joke seriously. But since you got so butt-hurt over it, suspicions arise! Maybe the hammer was serious!

Was that about Canton? What's your insight that you could say yes or no, there was no conspiracy to keep the games out of Canton? I let the poster's words stand on their own. I don't need to add anything.

Maybe someone should review hammer's words. What reasonable reason would anyone working for OHSAA say something like this?
Hammer89: Weird, I worked at the Ohsaa for 8 years, and we openly talked in the office about how we’d love for the finals to be anywhere else.

You're right. You have nothing that can be taken seriously.

Last edited:

Well the budget is a joke. Can you give me reasons why they would think they would make 3 million less this year than last when attendance without a doubt will go up? Also, I showed history of their budget being a joke and being around 7 million difference. Yet you make no attempt to dispute any of the data I presented and just gave a childish response.

I gave you the data to show in 3 years went from 2.5 million to 16 million (those amounts don't include their "reserve funds") so it is not that hard to project if they keep doing what they are doing now for 7-8 years (as I said end of decade) they will be nearing 50 million in bank.

What changes to either pricing or number tournament games so you think they will make to get back near break even each year? I just don't see them lowing ticket prices or having less games.

Last edited:
🤣@ the guy that took an obvious joke seriously. But since you got so butt-hurt over it, suspicions arise! Maybe the hammer was serious!

Was that about Canton? What's your insight that you could say yes or no, there was no conspiracy to keep the games out of Canton? I let the poster's words stand on their own. I don't need to add anything.

Maybe someone should review hammer's words. What reasonable reason would anyone working for OHSAA say something like this?

You're right. You have nothing that can be taken seriously.
The “reasonable reason” is because they’re terrible partners. Communication is awful, promises go unfulfilled, and they tried a couple shady moves with ticket-taxes to get more money. But they’re the only ones bidding. Everyone at the office prayed someone else would bid so there would be another offer on the table, at the very least to spur competition. Even if the games stayed in Canton, they’d have to improve their act knowing alternatives exist. Right now, they can do whatever they want. The games aren’t going anywhere else.

The “reasonable reason” is because they’re terrible partners. Communication is awful, promises go unfulfilled, and they tried a couple shady moves with ticket-taxes to get more money. But they’re the only ones bidding. Everyone at the office prayed someone else would bid so there would be another offer on the table, at the very least to spur competition. Even if the games stayed in Canton, they’d have to improve their act knowing alternatives exist. Right now, they can do whatever they want. The games aren’t going anywhere else.
What? It's true? I thought you was pulling that poster's leg. 🤣

This sounds like PA with Hershey. Their hosting went down hill the last cycle, but there was no other bids. This time they had bids from Penn State, Altoona and Cumberland Valley as well. And went with the long shot.

They'll be at Cumberland Valley High School this year.

Within 5 Blocks of Crew Stadium 4 people were shot 3 Weeks ago. there has been other crime in that Neighborhood 1Carjacking as well
Historic Crew Stadium’s zip code is 43211; 1 Black and Gold Blvd.

Readers can feel free to peruse this public link of police reports. They list the zip codes and addresses of where each incident happened, and one can use some simple to-from directions (via pinging the addresses into a way-finding app) to decide for themselves if they think it’s an unsafe area… and if there’s a pretty big highway that separates the two areas (or not.)

Columbus has become a crime ridden city. There is basically a shooting every night in Short North. No thanks.

I am really sorry to hear this. A lot of people worked hard to make the Short North into a nice neighborhood. Of course, it might also depend on your definition of Short North.

When I lived in Columbus, the worst neighborhood was around campus. It also wasn't cheap.

Makes you wonder how the Crew held games there for 20 years without fans getting murdered regularly. Truly a miracle.
attendance steadily fell from 2015 to the year before Covid. That wasn't because of diminishing interest. Fans were disappearing. Conspiracy to keep it quiet. You don't think there was a reason they rebuilt so far out? chitty chitty bang bang.