Columbus bidding on state finals

All I really care is that the games get on a channel I can watch. Seems to me if Spectrum is not in my town, a cable company that is should have the right to broadcast also.

WOSN would do a kick butt job.

I still struggle that there is 100k more kids playing HS sports in OH than MI any link to that.

These figures pertain only to HS participation. They do not factor in Middle School/Jr Hi participation numbers.
If so I would assume that there is only 1 eligibility certificate for each kid regardless of number of sports played.
Each sport season requires a new certificate.
So what are the other reason Ohio's budget is twice as much and how much do those other things costs. From my limited experience/knowledge things in MI are run very close to how they are in OH.
I've long been a critic of how the twice removed administration spent money. Then, when someone came in and ruffeled some feathers about this issue, it ultimately cost him his job. (not without further expense to the OHSAA however..... also, one of the things that jumped out at me when I saw the annual 990 filings was that in 2019, they were still paying a former employee that had resigned over a year prior.... the latter baffles me)

The ironic thing about it is once they hired the current ED, some members of the board publicly admitted that the finances were not in good shape (and were not so before covid) and things needed to change. (see expanded playoffs.... yes, it was about the money)

Now, since you brought up the number of schools vs participants.... let's look at the 2021-2022 participation numbers and tie them to the tournaments..... (typically the most expensive tournaments to run are Football and Basketball)

Michgan has 524 football schools with 31,000 participants
Ohio has 710 football schools with over 41,000 participants.
Michigan has 718/20,000 Boys Basketball schools/participants
Ohio has 794/21,200 Boys Baskteball schools/participants Michigan has 667/13,600 Girls Basketball schools/participants
Ohio has 789/14,500 Girls Basketball schools/participants

In other words.....the school vs participant angle does not compute......

The bottom line for me is, Ohio tournaments are much better run than the Michigan tournaments. The only thing Michigan has over Ohio is a dome.....

And speaking of domes.....please, no more talk from anyone about building a dome or buying an old soccer stadium for HS sports. That's just plain silly. ;)

And speaking of domes.....please, no more talk from anyone about building a dome or buying an old soccer stadium for HS sports. That's just plain silly. ;)

You saying this is strong evidence those would be very promising options that would enhance the Ohio high school football culture and reputation.

My mistake, point is the population center is still north and east of Columbus because the northeast part of the state is more densely populated.
This is true, however, it is less true than in the past and will be increasingly less true in the future. The population center of Ohio has moved further southwest across the geography of the state for decades

There are studies that suggest that Cbus metro will be close to 5 million by 2050 and bigger than Cleveland metro and Cincinnati metro combined

This is true, however, it is less true than in the past and will be increasingly less true in the future. The population center of Ohio has moved further southwest across the geography of the state for decades
With CBus northern suburbs outpacing the other directions, might stay where it is. Lots of push to develop that similar corridor towards Cleveland-Akron.

The Ohio population center is in Harmony Township near Mt.Gilead, about 40 some miles NNE of Columbus. It moved 4 miles closer to Columbus in the last 10 years. For reference, it is about 45 minute drive from Columbus to the population center and about 1 hour 15 minutes from canton. If we wanted a state title location closest to the population center, it would be at Mansfield.

The population center really doesn’t matter. As long as we have regions there will generally be finalists from all four quadrants. That’s why centralization (roughly the middle of the state) would be optimal.

The population center really doesn’t matter. As long as we have regions there will generally be finalists from all four quadrants. That’s why centralization (roughly the middle of the state) would be optimal.
This is not true because in some divisions, there are 2 regions that have Northeast Ohio teams, or teams closer to Canton than Columbus. I know for example in D-II region 5, 6 and 7 all have Northeast Ohio teams, so the state title game could be two NEO teams.
You could have had something like Avon, Massillon and Hoban. In D-III regions 9 and 10 both have Northeast Ohio teams. In D-IV regions 13 and 14 are NEO and 15 most are closer to Canton.
So the finalists are in many divisions much more likely to be closer to Canton than Columbus due to the arrangement of the regions.

These figures pertain only to HS participation. They do not factor in Middle School/Jr Hi participation numbers.

I've long been a critic of how the twice removed administration spent money. Then, when someone came in and ruffeled some feathers about this issue, it ultimately cost him his job. (not without further expense to the OHSAA however..... also, one of the things that jumped out at me when I saw the annual 990 filings was that in 2019, they were still paying a former employee that had resigned over a year prior.... the latter baffles me)

The ironic thing about it is once they hired the current ED, some members of the board publicly admitted that the finances were not in good shape (and were not so before covid) and things needed to change. (see expanded playoffs.... yes, it was about the money)

Now, since you brought up the number of schools vs participants.... let's look at the 2021-2022 participation numbers and tie them to the tournaments..... (typically the most expensive tournaments to run are Football and Basketball)

Ohio has 794/21,200 Boys Baskteball schools/participants Michigan has 667/13,600 Girls Basketball schools/participants

The bottom line for me is, Ohio tournaments are much better run than the Michigan tournaments. The only thing Michigan has over Ohio is a dome.....

Thanks for response and link. The number of participants makes more sense than number of kids.

I continue to struggle why OSHAA need to profit 6-8 million a year with a large portion of that coming from the parents pocketbooks.

Thanks for response and link. The number of participants makes more sense than number of kids.

I continue to struggle why OSHAA need to profit 6-8 million a year with a large portion of that coming from the parents pocketbooks.
This profit.....

1) Was needed to help put the OHSAA back on solid financial footing
2) Isn't common

It isn’t what cost him his job, but that’s another thread for another time lol

Here or another thread.....

It lit the fuse.
He was actually hired by the state board of directors with the express, stated goal of reducing the budget and spending. Did it rub some people on DABs the wrong way? Sure. But the people that hired him, and fired him, wanted him to do that.

he was fired for, essentially, absenteeism and being an a-hole to staff.

now because of the BOD directive to cut costs, maybe he didn’t have people flocking to his rescue that he would’ve otherwise, but no matter who got hired, the money outcome/goals would’ve been the same.

What will change this year to decrease the profit? Fewer playoff contests or lower ticket prices? Or more staff and larger salaries?
Not sure....

In June the COO advised that in the fall the board would be provided with recommendations on how to handle excess revenue. On Sept. 1, the COO said the board would be provided a more detailed year-end summary of the revenues "next month". Two meetings have come and gone since then and not much shows up in the minutes.

He was actually hired by the state board of directors with the express, stated goal of reducing the budget and spending. Did it rub some people on DABs the wrong way? Sure. But the people that hired him, and fired him, wanted him to do that.

he was fired for, essentially, absenteeism and being an a-hole to staff.

now because of the BOD directive to cut costs, maybe he didn’t have people flocking to his rescue that he would’ve otherwise, but no matter who got hired, the money outcome/goals would’ve been the same.
So they fire a guy for absenteesim, which is easy to prove...... yet they settle the lawsuit after refusing to negotiate?

Like I said...... feathers were ruffled. Thank you for admitting it. ;)

Last edited:
I repeat what I've said before on this "profit" topic.

Increasing profit by increasing revenue doesn't mean increasing ticket pricing when the demand doesn't justify it. Seats are not even at 80%.

I've not ever seen an ad promoting the "Ohio High School Championship" experience. Butts in the seats is where the revenue is. Revenue to the schools hosting. Revenue to local busienesses there and on the way to get there. Who doesn't want that? The streaming industry? They're the only ones I can think of with potential loss of customers.

OHSAA football championship are a martyr's game. Until someone decides to make it a cultural tradition again, the need for a statewise organizing committee like OHSAA will continue to decrease.

So they fire a guy for absenteesim, which is easy to prove...... yet they settle the lawsuit after refusing to negotiate?

Like I said...... feathers were ruffled. Thank you for admitting it. ;)
I would wager they settled the lawsuit because he had dirt on the OHSAA (unrelated to him) that they didn’t want going public. Not because they weren’t well within their contractual rights to fire him.

There are studies that suggest that Cbus metro will be close to 5 million by 2050 and bigger than Cleveland metro and Cincinnati metro combined
I believe it

This profit.....

1) Was needed to help put the OHSAA back on solid financial footing
2) Isn't common
Why was it needed and how much cash do they need to have on hand for you to think is too much? It is very easy to project they will have well over 20 million of cash balance as of 7/31/23. I could see that maybe the 2 million range was a bit low but no way they need over one years of expenses in cash on hand. I just can't see them lowering ticket prices or eliminating a round of play-off games. I guess they will drop the fee charged to schools to to participate in tournament and maybe increase host fees but that might lower their profits by a million they still will make 5-7 million a year and by end of decade will have cash balance nearing $50 million.

Here are their cash balances for the last few fiscal year ends from board meeting minutes. In addition they have over a million to a million and a half in things like building fund and reserve fund. If I understand their financial statements correctly. I know cash balances change some year over year based on timing of payment but since July is slow period for OSHAA it wouldn't by that much.

7/18/17 - $2,400,371
7/31/18 - $2,158,141
7/31/19 - $2,562,708
7/31/20 - $6,031,985 (notice increase during covid lock down due to government handing them cash)
7/31/21 - $11,120,347
7/31/22 - $15,957,059

Why was it needed and how much cash do they need to have on hand for you to think is too much? It is very easy to project they will have well over 20 million of cash balance as of 7/31/23. I could see that maybe the 2 million range was a bit low but no way they need over one years of expenses in cash on hand. I just can't see them lowering ticket prices or eliminating a round of play-off games. I guess they will drop the fee charged to schools to to participate in tournament and maybe increase host fees but that might lower their profits by a million they still will make 5-7 million a year and by end of decade will have cash balance nearing $50 million.

Here are their cash balances for the last few fiscal year ends from board meeting minutes. In addition they have over a million to a million and a half in things like building fund and reserve fund. If I understand their financial statements correctly. I know cash balances change some year over year based on timing of payment but since July is slow period for OSHAA it wouldn't by that much.

7/18/17 - $2,400,371
7/31/18 - $2,158,141
7/31/19 - $2,562,708
7/31/20 - $6,031,985 (notice increase during covid lock down due to government handing them cash)
7/31/21 - $11,120,347
7/31/22 - $15,957,059
Maybe they plan on building the dome stadium!!

Watching the stream of Steubenville game at Crew Stadium. The stadium turf looks terrible and I see players from both sides slipping quite a bit. If Columbus is serious about hosting I hope they come up with a better venue than this place. Championship deserves to be played on a top notch “football” playing surface, not a multi use field with lines all over the place and sub par turf. If that turf is new it sure does not look like it.

7/18/17 - $2,400,371
7/31/18 - $2,158,141
7/31/19 - $2,562,708
7/31/21 - $11,120,347
7/31/22 - $15,957,059
All of this while not sharing any tournament revenue with participating schools, no longer reimbursing schools for travel and meals, and an absolute joke of a payment made to host sites for playoff games.