College Football 2022-2023

Not that I’m a recruiting or QB expert but as recruits I’ve been way more impressed with Ewers over Manning. Honestly think he is unfairly overranked due to his name, it’ll be hard to live up to expectations.
I know a lot of rankings are based upon camp and combine event performances, but the few clips of game film I've seen I've been wildly unimpressed at times with the level of competition that Manning has played against. In the postseason he plays against teams that are by school size the equivalent of mostly D5 with maybe a few that would be D6 in Ohio.

We'll see, but IMO it would be surprising if he beats Ewers out at Texas between Ewers having a couple years of a head start on major college football on top of playing for a significantly better high school football program against significantly better competition.

Got my Phil Steele a couple of weeks ago. Every player in Phil's publication has a PS# which is their recruiting rank average based on the top 5 services.

Top teams ranked based on how many PS# top 25 kids are in the respective team's 2-deep. This never fails to identify the top teams. The bolded teams will be the top teams and the rest play second fiddle. Same old teams, different year. You might swap out an Oklahoma for an A&M and Clemson had a disappointing year last year by Clemson's standards (10-3) but not much changes.

The old adage rings true, it has more to do with the Jimmy's and Joe's than the X's and O's. How many OC's and DC's has Saban gone through over the last 15 years? Do not get me wrong, Saban draws the best (Kiffin, Sark, Brown, Smart, Muschamp, Dooley, etc.) but things work a lot better when you substantially outdude the competition not only with talent, but depth.

Alabama - 33
Ohio State - 30
Texas A&M - 28
Georgia - 25 (was tops with 32 last year)
Clemson - 25

LSU - 19
Florida - 16
Texas - 16
USC - 14
Oklahoma - 13 (big hit to transfer portal once Riley left)
Michigan - 13 (Most publications have these guys top 8 but I do not see it. I think it is largely carryover hype from last year. Offense will be improved, perhaps best since Harbaugh became HC, but D returns 3 and they have a new DC)
Penn State - 12
Auburn/Tennessee/Ole Miss/SCar - All in 12-15 range
Most B10 teams outside of the three listed above are anywhere from 5-10.

Cincinnati - 2

Last edited:
Relevant to conference realignment and media rights, I just saw the cost of standalone ESPN Plus streaming is jumping from $6.99 to $9.99 for month-to-month and from $69.99 to $99.99 for annual subscriptions.

Realignment has to result in better inventory to make sense at the price the conferences and the networks expect in terms of revenues/revenue shares.

NIL isn't making them any smarter ?‍♂️

Richard Fong
https://twitter.com/3anout
@3anout

First day in full pads. I had to explain to a freshman that the pockets on his pants were NOT for his cell phone.
1659640833202.png

A high school kid, but hilarious nonetheless. One of the replies was a guy saying he coached twins a and they used the pocket to hold sandwiches lol

Got my Phil Steele a couple of weeks ago. Every player in Phil's publication has a PS# which is their recruiting rank average based on the top 5 services.

Top teams ranked based on how many PS# top 25 kids are in the respective team's 2-deep. This never fails to identify the top teams. The bolded teams will be the top teams and the rest play second fiddle. Same old teams, different year. You might swap out an Oklahoma for an A&M and Clemson had a disappointing year last year by Clemson's standards (10-3) but not much changes.

The old adage rings true, it has more to do with the Jimmy's and Joe's than the X's and O's. How many OC's and DC's has Saban gone through over the last 15 years? Do not get me wrong, Saban draws the best (Kiffin, Sark, Brown, Smart, Muschamp, Dooley, etc.) but things work a lot better when you substantially outdude the competition not only with talent, but depth.

Alabama - 33
Ohio State - 30
Texas A&M - 28
Georgia - 25 (was tops with 32 last year)
Clemson - 25

LSU - 19
Florida - 16
Texas - 16
USC - 14
Oklahoma - 13 (big hit to transfer portal once Riley left)
Michigan - 13 (Most publications have these guys top 8 but I do not see it. I think it is largely carryover hype from last year. Offense will be improved, perhaps best since Harbaugh became HC, but D returns 3 and they have a new DC)
Penn State - 12
Auburn/Tennessee/Ole Miss/SCar - All in 12-15 range
Most B10 teams outside of the three listed above are anywhere from 5-10.

Cincinnati - 2
And yet looking at this, many still slam the SEC??? I mean what else do you need? The SEC has dominated the CFP the last 15 years, they routinely have the best recruiting classes and they put the most guys in the NFL year after year.

And yet looking at this, many still slam the SEC??? I mean what else do you need? The SEC has dominated the CFP the last 15 years, they routinely have the best recruiting classes and they put the most guys in the NFL year after year.
There is no one slamming the SEC, what on earth are you talking about?

Relevant to conference realignment and media rights, I just saw the cost of standalone ESPN Plus streaming is jumping from $6.99 to $9.99 for month-to-month and from $69.99 to $99.99 for annual subscriptions.

Realignment has to result in better inventory to make sense at the price the conferences and the networks expect in terms of revenues/revenue shares.
They better fix their streaming service if they’re going to increase the price 42%. 9/10 times it doesn’t work.

There is no one slamming the SEC, what on earth are you talking about?
Good heavens, half the big ten fans I talk to around here think the SEC is a joke, even with all the evidence. They even say the SEC is top heavy with with just Alabama and a bunch of other mediocre programs.

There has to be more to this situation then what is being reported:

Good heavens, half the big ten fans I talk to around here think the SEC is a joke, even with all the evidence. They even say the SEC is top heavy with with just Alabama and a bunch of other mediocre programs.
The SEC is top heavy with Bama and then a rotation of FL, UGA and LSU.

Since 2018 MSU, Ole Miss, ATM, Auburn, TN, Missouri, SC and UK are 20-20 against OOC P5 teams and 4-5 against the Big 10 (giving ATM a L for bowing out of their 2021 bowl game knowing they’d get curb stomped). In what world is going .500 (or 1 game over .500) anything but mediocre?

Last edited:
There has to be more to this situation then what is being reported:

Yea,
Sounds pretty.....lame.

We likely know what the word is and to resign for saying what he read.........what a freaking pansy. Come on. HAS to be more to it. Horrified what he read....geesh. What kind of wuss is this guy? Never sing along to a hip hop song? Maybe he is just too soft to coach D1 football if reading a freaking word from someone elses IPAD illicits that kind of response..

Assuming 1) the resignation was 100% his independent idea and not a “hey we won’t fire you but you have to resign” situation
2) dealing with the blowback isn’t worth the hassle after a 30+ year career and he’s ready to just hang it up and enjoy a well deserved retirement

The queston @Orin Swift is can you watch that video without covering your manhood with your hands? Lol.

CFB is the ultimate reality show - especially at the beginning of the season. We make all kinds of assumptions about who everyone is, but we don't really know until about mid-season, and even then sometimes we don't know.

For tonight I'm going to go with PSU and Pitt in their games. One of those two is bound to lose.

Last edited: