Coaching Openings

luckofirish, You're assuming that anything those parents said had merit. Why give the benefit of the doubt to butthurt parents and not give any to the coach?

luckofirish, You're assuming that anything those parents said had merit. Why give the benefit of the doubt to butthurt parents and not give any to the coach?
I'm not, I'm just stating in todays world of high school athletics you are having to deal with butthurt parents and all. I would assume especially at a catholic school where parents seem to have more belief that their word means more. Coaching is more then X and O's its about being able to deal with parents and players and SUA has had a hard time obviously 4 coaches in 4 years with having that. So it just doesn't seem like a great hire to hire a coach in his last stop had to sue parents and parents sued the coaching staff, and he hasn't coached since. Again nothing against him he could be the best coach in the world just doesn't seem like a great fit for "THIS" situation.

I'm not, I'm just stating in todays world of high school athletics you are having to deal with butthurt parents and all. I would assume especially at a catholic school where parents seem to have more belief that their word means more. Coaching is more then X and O's its about being able to deal with parents and players and SUA has had a hard time obviously 4 coaches in 4 years with having that. So it just doesn't seem like a great hire to hire a coach in his last stop had to sue parents and parents sued the coaching staff, and he hasn't coached since. Again nothing against him he could be the best coach in the world just doesn't seem like a great fit for "THIS" situation.
At a certain point they have to hire someone. Maybe it’s a situation where there really isn’t more options. It’s August so I would assume the pickings were slim to none. Especially since it’s been open since May.

Northwest Ohio list:

Bluffton - hired Adam Burris
Buckeye Central - hired Phil Loy
Clay - hired Brandon Roberts
Clyde - hired Blayze Behney
Defiance - hired Leroy Lewis Jr.
Edison - hired Chelsey Meagrow
Emmanuel Christian - hired Kamesha Hairston
Fostoria - hired Derek Angelone
Lexington - hired Gabby Stover
Liberty-Benton - hired Chad Lieb
Mansfield Senior - hired Eli Meeks
Maumee Valley Country Day - hired Jamall Shuman
Mohawk - hired Natasha Mullholand
Monroeville - hired Ryan Bohn
Napoleon - hired Craig Cicero
New Riegel - hired Lauren Hutton
Oak Harbor - hired Dick Heller
Pandora-Gilboa - hired Cody Pelton
Swanton - hired Jared Walker
Sylvania Southview - hired Tyler Bates
Tiffin Calvert - hired Aaron Sheets
Toledo Bowsher - hired Tiffani Blackman
Toledo Central Catholic - hired Corri Stanley
Toledo St. Ursula - hired Zeke Hill
Wauseon - hired Shelly Borton
Willard - hired Alanna Bedingfield

"Those parents". I respect former Coach Lincoln Kynard (one of "those" parents in the lawsuit) a whole hell of a lot more than Hill.

As for the current MVCD hire...

MV is expected to have 6 kids in the program this year. I love J Shu... hope he can get some more kids interested in that program. He will do big things if he can get the kids.

"Those parents". I respect former Coach Lincoln Kynard (one of "those" parents in the lawsuit) a whole hell of a lot more than Hill.

As for the current MVCD hire...

MV is expected to have 6 kids in the program this year. I love J Shu... hope he can get some more kids interested in that program. He will do big things if he can get the kids.
Doesn’t look like a good situation at MV with only 6 kids in the program.

Katie Miller from Dalton has taken the Chippewa job - replacing Denny Schrock.

Dalton is now open.
What??!! This is disappointing. When I was in-state I became a Dalton fan as they were fun to watch and Miss Miller seems like a cool cat on the bench. 😔 On the flip side, I'm glad to see Schrock retire. I know his career success, but I just couldn't stand watching him and his assistants on the bench. Stomping their feet, screaming injustices and relentless badgering of officials. I felt they were horrible role models for their girls who might eventually go into coaching. I hope Miss Miller finds success at her new post. She will bring an entirely different demeanor to the Chipps' program.

Hearing rumors that SUA has rescinded Hills offer and is already looking for their third coach this summer. This would make five coaches in four years. At some point administrators need to be looking in the mirror!

With a really good coach a district semi-finalist would probably be their ceiling. If they got everything out of them then maybe a district runner up.
What am I missing here? they graduated 8 seniors including Glass, Reichert, and Zawisa that were starters and Defoe and Wiczynski are back but do they have a great incoming class? looking at the two local districts, AW will be the strong favorite with Start, Fremont, and Perrysburg which I don't think SUA would be within 20pts of any of those teams. Whitmer beat them by 20 plus both times last year and no Lawerence this year but adding Royal Davis with Borer and Shoup will be tough matchup for everyone and Springfield has everyone back minus Carruthurs as well. Then you got some 50/50 games with NDA, Findlay, Northview and even if Murnen was back would be a challenge to get to Districts although now sometimes you only have to win 1 game to get to district semis depending on the bracket you are in. Sua just never going to be a basketball school, their two biggest rivals always get better talent, have a voucher program, and just more tradition and less tuition. Throw in an admin that can't bring any stability too and if I was a talented jr high kid the other catholic schools and now the suburban districts just offer better options.

What am I missing here? they graduated 8 seniors including Glass, Reichert, and Zawisa that were starters and Defoe and Wiczynski are back but do they have a great incoming class? looking at the two local districts, AW will be the strong favorite with Start, Fremont, and Perrysburg which I don't think SUA would be within 20pts of any of those teams. Whitmer beat them by 20 plus both times last year and no Lawerence this year but adding Royal Davis with Borer and Shoup will be tough matchup for everyone and Springfield has everyone back minus Carruthurs as well. Then you got some 50/50 games with NDA, Findlay, Northview and even if Murnen was back would be a challenge to get to Districts although now sometimes you only have to win 1 game to get to district semis depending on the bracket you are in. Sua just never going to be a basketball school, their two biggest rivals always get better talent, have a voucher program, and just more tradition and less tuition. Throw in an admin that can't bring any stability too and if I was a talented jr high kid the other catholic schools and now the suburban districts just offer better options.
Exactly. A great coach the cieling is a district semi. That is 1 game in the playoffs. District if they are lucky. There are a few heavy hitters in D1 you listed them and then the rest of the teams are all about the same. I mean district semis are not really an accomplishment. 1st Matchup against a city league team outside of start or a clay something like that and you are off to the district semis. I think you miss understood my post.

A program like SUA is always just one good coach that is very personable that has an ability to attract good basketball kids. They have the same thing as the others. They accept vouchers and have the same appeal as the other Catholics. Only difference is they don’t have a coach that can bring the kids in. At a catholic school it’s just about getting a coach that can get the talent in.

like I said before. District semi’s is no big accomplishment. That’s the ceiling with this years team.

A program like SUA is always just one good coach that is very personable that has an ability to attract good basketball kids. They have the same thing as the others. They accept vouchers and have the same appeal as the other Catholics. Only difference is they don’t have a coach that can bring the kids in. At a catholic school it’s just about getting a coach that can get the talent in.

like I said before. District semi’s is no big accomplishment. That’s the ceiling with this years team.
I agree a good coach can make a difference but I think Sua just has an ongoing battle regardless. What SUA doesn't have that NDA and CC have is tradition, other than the 94 team that won a district they have not even got to a district final any other year that I can remember in the last 30 years that I've been around it. That year too Shaunda Roberts was a high D1 kid that led them and SUA hasn't had another D1 kid or anyone close to that level of talent ever since. Whereas CC and NDA multiple Final four appearances and too many to count D1/high level college players. The other thing they don't have is the cheapest tuition, which is always going to be a deterrent compared to the others and now that the AW, Pburg, Sylvania's of the world offer a no cost alternative with better programs/stability currently too. Throw in Whitmer going to open enrollment and the rise of the Toledo Christian's of the world along with Start and Rogers tradition its harder and harder to pull from the city kids now too. Sua does have a jr high program to build from but it doesn't seem that is helping create program improvements and traditionally volleyball and soccer don't share their kids with the basketball program and a lot of very good athletes never step onto the basketball floor them. I do agree with getting the right coach in place but if the admin isn't going to commit to giving someone a good 3-4 years to build something and continue to churn through hires that don't even get a summer with the team then they will always be stuck where they have been.

I agree a good coach can make a difference but I think Sua just has an ongoing battle regardless. What SUA doesn't have that NDA and CC have is tradition, other than the 94 team that won a district they have not even got to a district final any other year that I can remember in the last 30 years that I've been around it. That year too Shaunda Roberts was a high D1 kid that led them and SUA hasn't had another D1 kid or anyone close to that level of talent ever since. Whereas CC and NDA multiple Final four appearances and too many to count D1/high level college players. The other thing they don't have is the cheapest tuition, which is always going to be a deterrent compared to the others and now that the AW, Pburg, Sylvania's of the world offer a no cost alternative with better programs/stability currently too. Throw in Whitmer going to open enrollment and the rise of the Toledo Christian's of the world along with Start and Rogers tradition its harder and harder to pull from the city kids now too. Sua does have a jr high program to build from but it doesn't seem that is helping create program improvements and traditionally volleyball and soccer don't share their kids with the basketball program and a lot of very good athletes never step onto the basketball floor them. I do agree with getting the right coach in place but if the admin isn't going to commit to giving someone a good 3-4 years to build something and continue to churn through hires that don't even get a summer with the team then they will always be stuck where they have been.
I hear you. But at the end of the day it’s all about getting a coach that is willing to stay and go out there and get talent. Why is Notre Dame down? Because now Toledo Christian is getting players, Start getting and keeping players. Anthony Wayne having multiple sets of twins that are good at sports. Whitmer keeping at least a couple of players and Central Catholic attracting the kids.

At the end of the day. It’s about attracting the kids. Coaches with personalities to do so do that. Any program with 4 coaches in 4 years will struggle. Crazy thing is. They weren’t that awful. Get a coach that is willing to stay and build with a personality to attract talent SUA would have a pretty high Ceiling

True, but I think that's the other issue- what "good" coach in their right mind wants to go there? What's the incentive? You have to go through a complete rebuild which will take 3-5 years minimum, your two rival schools have been consistently way better than you and continue to bring in better talent every year, the old CYO feeder system is basically non-existent now, and inflation is at an all time high so 4 years cost almost 80k for a traditional non voucher student when they could just go to AW or Pburg for free. Also if you are a teacher at a public school are you willing to take a huge pay cut to go there? If they can create a decent paying admin type job (AD, Dir of Admission etc) then maybe you draw someone otherwise you take a chance on an up an comer or find an aau guy that actually knows how to build a program not just try to throw a team on the floor. Oh and by the way you now play in a Detroit league with longer travel and no bussing.
Even if we look at the coaches they had over the years (not counting Hill and the Whitmer asst obviously) Murnen is a very solid coach but he's not the type to go out and get kids. Gradel- hiring a former politician from Chicago that was never a varsity coach just never made sense. Tandy- ok so a former college coach with connections, should be a good hire and she was there about 7 years but I think she only had one winning season and never was able to bring in a D1 or maybe even a D2 kid. You had Duffy Burns another guy with great college connections etc with Blue Star but he didn't do much and never was able to get big talent in. Then you have Dave Rieker who was a heck of a player at Findlay and UT and was Lowes top asst at SFS he wasn't able to bring anyone in. Then you get into Nancy Holmes which was a short tenure and then Ken K, he did a nice job was there about 23 years or so but he didn't really get any kids just took what he had and Shaunda fell into his lap as the Roberts family (Nolan and Brian were SF and SJ kids too) So going back 30 years not even 2 former college coaches, former UT mens player, a politician and Tom Cruise's sister in law can get talented kids there.

You are right ever since Brayden transferred Travis hasn't had that next D1 start come through the doors and you can see the drop off the past couple years (losing an All American to IMG didn't help either) I don't think TC continues after this year, Brayden gone, Royal Davis at Whitmer and Wensick moving on after this year. 20-30 years ago I think it was easier to get some of the suburban kids but now that those programs are good or better as Sua in multiple sports and they don't come with the hefty price tag they are more likely to stay home. But you are right SUA will have to continue to fight to get kids and if they find a good coach and they are willing to give them time to build they could start to see progress I just know that I haven't seen this work in their favor since Shaunda's senior year. I'm not rooting against them by any means either, hope they find the right person and having a competitive program makes everyone better.

True, but I think that's the other issue- what "good" coach in their right mind wants to go there? What's the incentive? You have to go through a complete rebuild which will take 3-5 years minimum, your two rival schools have been consistently way better than you and continue to bring in better talent every year, the old CYO feeder system is basically non-existent now, and inflation is at an all time high so 4 years cost almost 80k for a traditional non voucher student when they could just go to AW or Pburg for free. Also if you are a teacher at a public school are you willing to take a huge pay cut to go there? If they can create a decent paying admin type job (AD, Dir of Admission etc) then maybe you draw someone otherwise you take a chance on an up an comer or find an aau guy that actually knows how to build a program not just try to throw a team on the floor. Oh and by the way you now play in a Detroit league with longer travel and no bussing.
Even if we look at the coaches they had over the years (not counting Hill and the Whitmer asst obviously) Murnen is a very solid coach but he's not the type to go out and get kids. Gradel- hiring a former politician from Chicago that was never a varsity coach just never made sense. Tandy- ok so a former college coach with connections, should be a good hire and she was there about 7 years but I think she only had one winning season and never was able to bring in a D1 or maybe even a D2 kid. You had Duffy Burns another guy with great college connections etc with Blue Star but he didn't do much and never was able to get big talent in. Then you have Dave Rieker who was a heck of a player at Findlay and UT and was Lowes top asst at SFS he wasn't able to bring anyone in. Then you get into Nancy Holmes which was a short tenure and then Ken K, he did a nice job was there about 23 years or so but he didn't really get any kids just took what he had and Shaunda fell into his lap as the Roberts family (Nolan and Brian were SF and SJ kids too) So going back 30 years not even 2 former college coaches, former UT mens player, a politician and Tom Cruise's sister in law can get talented kids there.

You are right ever since Brayden transferred Travis hasn't had that next D1 start come through the doors and you can see the drop off the past couple years (losing an All American to IMG didn't help either) I don't think TC continues after this year, Brayden gone, Royal Davis at Whitmer and Wensick moving on after this year. 20-30 years ago I think it was easier to get some of the suburban kids but now that those programs are good or better as Sua in multiple sports and they don't come with the hefty price tag they are more likely to stay home. But you are right SUA will have to continue to fight to get kids and if they find a good coach and they are willing to give them time to build they could start to see progress I just know that I haven't seen this work in their favor since Shaunda's senior year. I'm not rooting against them by any means either, hope they find the right person and having a competitive program makes everyone better.
Everything you and I said are true. They are currently at a point where they could’ve really took a big step forward with the right hire. Really good junior players, two seniors that aren’t bad at all and some kids coming in. This team this year with good coaching they could’ve beat a lot of teams on their schedule. Could be over .500 but honestly that would be tough without a coach that doesn’t know how to put together a winning system. I agree with all that you say but the right hire would’ve been the first step to possibly a good future. Vouchers for everyone now, all girls school (I have a daughter and all girl private school is very very very appealing over even a decent public school). Phenomenal culture and community. But hey man the ball was fumbled.

Everything you and I said are true. They are currently at a point where they could’ve really took a big step forward with the right hire. Really good junior players, two seniors that aren’t bad at all and some kids coming in. This team this year with good coaching they could’ve beat a lot of teams on their schedule. Could be over .500 but honestly that would be tough without a coach that doesn’t know how to put together a winning system. I agree with all that you say but the right hire would’ve been the first step to possibly a good future. Vouchers for everyone now, all girls school (I have a daughter and all girl private school is very very very appealing over even a decent public school). Phenomenal culture and community. But hey man the ball was fumbled.
Not to mention the last two coaches severely under achieved. There is a ton of talent in the building. The JV league champs the past few years. Carlie and Defoe are way better than how they were utilized. Hell deFoe didn’t even start against Whitmer she wasn’t starting until game 7. Terry hated her. Didn’t put her up for all TRAC. She single handedly beat Notre Dame. She was going toe to toe with BK in the Central game. Their JV squad had two FAST guards that could go. Most of that good All Saints incoming freshmen enrolled at SUA. They were set up to succeed.
Would they have beaten Anthony Wayne? Of course not. Probably not Perrysburg either, but they would have given Whitmer a run with a good coach. Even with M R-D. (That’s another story. Hope Kynard didn’t ruin her college prospects getting her to go blend in at Whitmer) The Asst JV coach Ursula just hired …it was her first year of coaching basketball last year. She’s not a basketball coach. She was never even a head Freshmen coach. Those kids have no chance now. You can’t go play in the top league of the CSHL with a coach who doesn’t understand Varsity level basketball concepts. Just a waste.

Not to mention the last two coaches severely under achieved. There is a ton of talent in the building. The JV league champs the past few years. Carlie and Defoe are way better than how they were utilized. Hell deFoe didn’t even start against Whitmer she wasn’t starting until game 7. Terry hated her. Didn’t put her up for all TRAC. She single handedly beat Notre Dame. She was going toe to toe with BK in the Central game. Their JV squad had two FAST guards that could go. Most of that good All Saints incoming freshmen enrolled at SUA. They were set up to succeed.
Would they have beaten Anthony Wayne? Of course not. Probably not Perrysburg either, but they would have given Whitmer a run with a good coach. Even with M R-D. (That’s another story. Hope Kynard didn’t ruin her college prospects getting her to go blend in at Whitmer) The Asst JV coach Ursula just hired …it was her first year of coaching basketball last year. She’s not a basketball coach. She was never even a head Freshmen coach. Those kids have no chance now. You can’t go play in the top league of the CSHL with a coach who doesn’t understand Varsity level basketball concepts. Just a waste.
I’m curious to see how it goes. CHSL will be tough but honestly the TRAC last year was overall tougher. Fremont last year and Whitmer last year were similar if not better than a lot of the CHSL. Gabriel Richard was good but small.

It will definitely be difficult to be a head coach right away on the varsity level without any real head coach experience or years as a varsity assistant under a good coach. The talent isn’t bad which might help out a lot. I just don’t think even with a really good coach that they would’ve made that much of a push forward. I honestly think they would be lucky to make it to the district final game. So two playoff wins. That’s best case scenario with a really good coach.

The 4 district finalist will be Anthony Wayne, Perrysburg, and then the last two spots will be either Findlay, Start, Ross, or Whitmer. Would SUA have cracked that list ? I'm not sure. All I know is James was set to be one of the best on ball defenders in the district. (Started against ND last year, legit lock down defender. Maybe not Corniya Clay level defense, but she was Sooo quick.. She will not come back to play for this coach again after last year) Carlee with her speed and length 5'11 and having a 6'2 center (Grace) that can run the floor better than any Center around not named Brooklyn Vaughn supplemented by their young speed and talent could have been one of the best pressing teams in the District.

It's over though.. I'll leave it alone, because they're a non factor now.

Do we know if Travis got anyone to replace their guards at ND? Dekota and Bissell are both gone, right? They have Simms back, but not much else that I can remember unless they've got some transfers in?

What are your thoughts on Whitmer with M R-D? I dont know if they'll be able to handle a team that presses very well. Denni was the ball handler. Sydney is a hell of a 2 guard, but may have to handle it more now. They are excited about the Finch girl, but she is VERY SMALL and I saw her get pushed around a bit last year.. Will be interesting to see how they go about teams that press a lot.

The 4 district finalist will be Anthony Wayne, Perrysburg, and then the last two spots will be either Findlay, Start, Ross, or Whitmer. Would SUA have cracked that list ? I'm not sure. All I know is James was set to be one of the best on ball defenders in the district. (Started against ND last year, legit lock down defender. Maybe not Corniya Clay level defense, but she was Sooo quick.. She will not come back to play for this coach again after last year) Carlee with her speed and length 5'11 and having a 6'2 center (Grace) that can run the floor better than any Center around not named Brooklyn Vaughn supplemented by their young speed and talent could have been one of the best pressing teams in the District.

It's over though.. I'll leave it alone, because they're a non factor now.

Do we know if Travis got anyone to replace their guards at ND? Dekota and Bissell are both gone, right? They have Simms back, but not much else that I can remember unless they've got some transfers in?

What are your thoughts on Whitmer with M R-D? I dont know if they'll be able to handle a team that presses very well. Denni was the ball handler. Sydney is a hell of a 2 guard, but may have to handle it more now. They are excited about the Finch girl, but she is VERY SMALL and I saw her get pushed around a bit last year.. Will be interesting to see how they go about teams that press a lot.
The 4 district finalist will most likely be AW, Start, Fremont, Perrysburg. I think Springfield could be in there and maybe Whitmer then Findlay and Northview I don't think SUA cracks that list even on the high end. No offense to the kids at SUA but I just don't see the talent level you describe, they are losing 3 starters and a good amount of scoring from those three and yes Carlee is a very nice player and she should get more shots etc but teams will be able to focus much more on her with Glass gone. Defoe is ok but I don't see her outplaying one of the Benders at the 5, Takas at Pburg, Wolf at Ross, MRD at Whitmer etc. And best pressing team? They wouldn't be able to press AW, Pburg, Ross, Springfield, Start, maybe Whitmer since they don't have a true PG now. Just looking back on the past few years District finals almost every team has at least one D1 kid or some D2 kids plus some other athletes and Sua just doesn't have that make up. Even Sua most recent talented team of Whitzel, Kalman, Savage Dziewera that had 5 three year starters couldn't get farther than a district semi. You keep mentioning getting a good coach who would be your ideal hire?

The 4 district finalist will most likely be AW, Start, Fremont, Perrysburg. I think Springfield could be in there and maybe Whitmer then Findlay and Northview I don't think SUA cracks that list even on the high end. No offense to the kids at SUA but I just don't see the talent level you describe, they are losing 3 starters and a good amount of scoring from those three and yes Carlee is a very nice player and she should get more shots etc but teams will be able to focus much more on her with Glass gone. Defoe is ok but I don't see her outplaying one of the Benders at the 5, Takas at Pburg, Wolf at Ross, MRD at Whitmer etc. And best pressing team? They wouldn't be able to press AW, Pburg, Ross, Springfield, Start, maybe Whitmer since they don't have a true PG now. Just looking back on the past few years District finals almost every team has at least one D1 kid or some D2 kids plus some other athletes and Sua just doesn't have that make up. Even Sua most recent talented team of Whitzel, Kalman, Savage Dziewera that had 5 three year starters couldn't get farther than a district semi. You keep mentioning getting a good coach who would be your ideal hire?
That’s a pretty good analysis of it. Similar to my thoughts. Start is clearly in the districts. A D1 guard going to a powerfive in Douglas who is now super aggressive on the offensive end. That mixed with a lot of decent complimentary pieces. I would put Whitmer, Springfield and Perrysburg up there. AW is such a clear favorite with all of the talent and the Bender twins.

I think Carlie has a chance to be really good and Defoe is good as well. I keep hearing about the JV players but until they are putting major varsity minutes it’s all potential. Looking at the fact that they didn’t hire until September there couldn’t have been many names to choose from. That’s a tough one to understand. Seems like it would be a half way decent job. That puzzles me.

That’s a pretty good analysis of it. Similar to my thoughts. Start is clearly in the districts. A D1 guard going to a powerfive in Douglas who is now super aggressive on the offensive end. That mixed with a lot of decent complimentary pieces. I would put Whitmer, Springfield and Perrysburg up there. AW is such a clear favorite with all of the talent and the Bender twins.

I think Carlie has a chance to be really good and Defoe is good as well. I keep hearing about the JV players but until they are putting major varsity minutes it’s all potential. Looking at the fact that they didn’t hire until September there couldn’t have been many names to choose from. That’s a tough one to understand. Seems like it would be a half way decent job. That puzzles me.
I think Ross will be in the mix as well with Robinson, Carma, and Wolf back too, that's two seasoned players and a D1 guard but thin after that. Over the past two years I know several coaches that applied for the job some with girls varsity head coaching experience and some with boys coaching experience and some didn't get an interview, some did but never heard back and some just moved on because no decent coach wants to take on a rebuild starting in September or even late July/August for that matter. Most coaches in the area don't consider it a great job for many of the reason I listed in earlier posts and combine that with an Admin that doesn't seem to support the hires they do make, well that's how you end up in the situation they are in. The only way they move the needle talent wise is if a Haney type (we all saw how they played out) was able to bring in real talent with multiple kids and then have some real success with them then hopefully win more recruits away from the CC/NDA/Whitmer/TPS crowd. Basically if you go back to NDA around 03/04 they were in a similar boat (very average, good cyo kids but couldn't compete with CC) then Boyd came in and got some kids (Lalor being the main one) then Travis just keep it going and having multiple D1's allows you to get to all those final fours. Alot has changed in the landscape since then but that's the model to follow.