Club Ruining HS Swimming?

I’m not from the Cincy area, where did all the Sycamore swimmers come from last season?

Carson, Jake, and Ansel all transferred out of X to Sycamore. Jake at the beginning of the year, Ansel after first semester. Lots of rumors about why Jake & Ansel left, none related to the swim program and most related to the academic/administration side. Not grades, neither failing out or anything like. I was told Jake was top 3 in his class after junior year.

I've been told Carson left because X wouldn't let him miss 6+ weeks of school for national/international meets. X has highly restrictive attendance policies and does not bend. They also do not allow early graduation, which is why Paris Johnson (OSU commit & top-rated O-Line prospect) left X for Princeton his senior year.

I think Carson and Jake only participated in one year of high school swimming. Jake was at X for three years but only trained with his club and Carson was at X for two years and only trained with his club. As for why Carson and Jake participated in high school swimming, I think Jake did it for fun and Carson to make a point to his former Saint X classmates. Just speculating there. But by definition Sycamore swimmers cannot be considered "mercenaries" because they all live in the Sycamore district. I think Carson was home schooled due to his travel schedule but whatever. There are no concessions graduating from a public school. You either meet the state requirements or you don't. But lets be honest with ourselves, last year was a one off situation with Sycamore or whomever. No public school in a very long time has had a future immediate Olympic hopeful on its squad. It just doesn't happen on the male side anymore due to sponsorship and prize money. X should be rightfully proud for beating that Sycamore team. There were many nationally ranked swimmers on that squad. However, if sycamore had a few more swimmers qualify for state like say guys who live in Lakato or Xenia or Bellbrook or wherever maybe Sycamore wins the state championship. X, on the other hand, has swimmers from all over southwest Ohio and maybe other states, more coaches and a better facility than some D1 swim teams. But this discussion isn't about the Fosters. This discussion is whether X should get out of the OHSAAA and swim national schedule. I say yes because Saint Xavier swimming has more potential (by its enrollment policies) and better resources in terms of coaching and resources than any other program in the State of Ohio. Furthermore, I am saying that the top 30 or 40 swimmers at X would rather compete against the best in the country than the mostly rec swimmers that populate most of the public school programs that it swims against. So in my opinion, it is not impressive that X wins the state every year. They should. They have more advantages than any other program in the state or immediate region. Stretch yourself and take it to the next level just quit beating your chests about something that is nearly a foregone conclusion before the school year even starts.

You will be the first one to rejoice when the streak ends

in the meantime, your pipedream of National swimming against other states is being done

in fact I have the results for u - Five NISCA ntl champs in a row
?

Here’s a thought...how about a “Junior State Meet” that excludes X and then the following week, the State Meet where the top two finishers in each event, along with the top six relays, swim against X’s top 4 guys & top two relays. The State vs. X. Winner is crowned state champ? Everybody wins!

You will be the first one to rejoice when the streak ends

in the meantime, your pipedream of National swimming against other states is being done

in fact I have the results for u - Five NISCA ntl champs in a row
?

I know. It is all virtual and done by times. Not the same. the streak won't end in my lifetime unless there is another pool catastrophe like in the 90's and X decides to bury the pool.

Here’s a thought...how about a “Junior State Meet” that excludes X and then the following week, the State Meet where the top two finishers in each event, along with the top six relays, swim against X’s top 4 guys & top two relays. The State vs. X. Winner is crowned state champ? Everybody wins!
It would be very competitive for X. it would give them a cool goal to work towards.

I know it’s not the Cincy area and not boys D1, but how about the stranglehold Hawken has on girls D2.

What was the pool catastrophe
The story is either earlier in this thread or in another but back in the 90's because the marlins were not meeting their contract requirements, the pool's guts were rotten and needed to be replaced. Of course the Marlins did not have the money so the pool's operating responsibility went back to X. the athletic boosters had to decide to rebuild the pool or bulldoze it under. They chose to rebuild it at great cost but the pool's priorities went back to X and the marlin' were left in a secondary position. Since then, the pool was rebuilt again under that huge construction project and Marlins got priority back. One of the reasons, X's swim team has to work around the Marlins to this day.

I know it’s not the Cincy area and not boys D1, but how about the stranglehold Hawken has on girls D2.
Probably the same reason UA girls do so well. A nice pool, great coaches, great local club program and nobody else in D2 swimming has that. However, in D1, Mason has put those things together and look out.

The story is either earlier in this thread or in another but back in the 90's because the marlins were not meeting their contract requirements, the pool's guts were rotten and needed to be replaced. Of course the Marlins did not have the money so the pool's operating responsibility went back to X. the athletic boosters had to decide to rebuild the pool or bulldoze it under. They chose to rebuild it at great cost but the pool's priorities went back to X and the marlin' were left in a secondary position. Since then, the pool was rebuilt again under that huge construction project and Marlins got priority back. One of the reasons, X's swim team has to work around the Marlins to this day.
This is fantasy. The pool has never been rebuilt- same filters as when built. The only things new are now old air filters and lights. It has NEVER been rebuilt

but soon will be! And then watch out!

Been rebuilt twice in the last 25 years or least the façade was the second time. I will put you in touch with booster club treasurer in the 90's when the boosters stepped in the first time. She is my mother.

So you are telling me it has the same filters that it had in the early 70's. The guts had to be replaced in the early in the 90's. Everything was corroded and the pumps were shot. Ask around. I think it was again rebuilt during the great the construction project. if the pool wasn't everything else was. But I think it was rebuilt because the Marlins got operational control again.

So you are telling me it has the same filters that it had in the early 70's. The guts had to be replaced in the early in the 90's. Everything was corroded and the pumps were shot. Ask around. I think it was again rebuilt during the great the construction project. if the pool wasn't everything else was. But I think it was rebuilt because the Marlins got operational control again.
Truth be told neither X or Marlins really want operational control of Keating as significant $$$$ come along with that responsibility

Truth be told neither X or Marlins really want operational control of Keating as significant $$$$ come along with that responsibility
This is X's dance with the devil. In order to build and maintain that pool, they have had to cede more control to a team oriented booster group. It drives the powers that be at X crazy. It is the reason that X controls everything else so tightly. We tried to create a football booster organization to among other things provide travel money to play top end national teams (like St. Mary's in the DMZ). X shut that down so fast it made the organizers head spin. This is why I look at some of things happening in Cleveland with interest.

I know that. But see who gives the biggest donation and see what deals/compromises/contracts are made. Also watch how the administration reacts. Unless you are getting a large number of donors with a relatively small amount of money each. Then some things might change.

Are there plans to replace or refurbish? I thought they updated the natatorium fairly recently.
I thought so too. I thought that the pool had been refurbished twice in the last 30 years. But I am going to speculate here. For or five years ago, the Cincinnati Enquirer had an article in the sports section that talked about a group of heavy hitter swimming boosters who wanted to build a large swimming facility with adequate spectator and swimmer accommodations in the tri-state area, then this area could host some major meets all year around. At the time, the enquirer mentioned a spot at Kings Island. If that is what is happening at Saint X, then the whole tri-state swimming community will benefit.

I thought so too. I thought that the pool had been refurbished twice in the last 30 years. But I am going to speculate here. For or five years ago, the Cincinnati Enquirer had an article in the sports section that talked about a group of heavy hitter swimming boosters who wanted to build a large swimming facility with adequate spectator and swimmer accommodations in the tri-state area, then this area could host some major meets all year around. At the time, the enquirer mentioned a spot at Kings Island. If that is what is happening at Saint X, then the whole tri-state swimming community will benefit.
you could argue that this is what mason is already building!

Why on earth build at kings island???

no. It wil be on campus at st x.
proximity allows school and practice to be convenient and efficient, leaving time for schoolwork!!!

Do you read my emails and understand them. I said 4 or 5 years ago when there was talk about building an ESPN type sorts park at Kings Island. My whole point was that if the big swim sponsors are building the big pool at saint X then that is good for the whole local swimming community. They could host some significant meets there.

you could argue that this is what mason is already building!
Is mason building a really big pool so that one could host major USA swim meets? I had not heard that. But if they are, that would be great. The kind of pool I am talking about is one like there is at Ohio State. OSU has hosted the NCAAs twice I think.

Last edited:
Is mason building a really big pool so that one could host major USA swim meets? I had not heard that. But if they are, that would be great. The kind of pool I am talking about is one like there is at Ohio State. OSU has hosted the NCAAs twice I think.

Finally, somebody is doing it. This is outstanding news. I read the comments Doc and Fletch and I must disagree with you. If there is no increase in taxes and semi private fundraising organization is getting it done then this is great. It can host a ton of meets coming here and if Canton cannot get fixed then the states may end up down here with all of that hotel sales happening. This is great for southwest ohio swimming.

Finally, somebody is doing it. This is outstanding news. I read the comments Doc and Fletch and I must disagree with you. If there is no increase in taxes and semi private fundraising organization is getting it done then this is great. It can host a ton of meets coming here and if Canton cannot get fixed then the states may end up down here with all of that hotel sales happening. This is great for southwest ohio swimming.
Doubt that the state meet would move to a 900 seat venue. OSU seats 1500 and the consensus is that it is too small for the state meet. Canton seats 2200 to 2500. OHSAA is very loyal to Canton. Last time it was discussed OHSAA gave Canton a 10 year contract. Not certain how much is left on that. Should they move from Canton, OSU is the logical location. Its in the center of the state and probably the best pool. Seating capacity is the problem. Although that could be solved by separating the boys and girls in each division...perhaps even staggering the tournament as they do with golf, starting D2 a week before D1.