Cleveland Heights joins the GCC

mhk2014

Last season, it seemed like Heights football was getting a lot of attention on Yappi, because no one really knew how good they were. Now, as they enter the GCC with a much tougher schedule and some very interesting players, I'm curious what the feel is for the season ahead.

Even though they lost their quarterback (a Mr. Football finalist) to graduation, Heights comes into this season with two of the top-ranked players in the state, both are juniors with over 20 D-1 offers and a very strong supporting cast. The payers feel that they have something to prove after the way that last season ended.

They should do very well again this year, however they were outcoached last year in the playoff loss to Iggy. They had WAY more talent that night and their kids couldn't respond when Iggy didn't just go away after halftime. At some point they will probably get outcoached again when it matters the most.

I really like the program Mac Stephens is building at Heights and think this is a great addition to the GCC. I would have preferred Heights over Euclid back in 2015 when Euclid joined, so I'm glad to see them able to get out of the LEL and into a league that will help the program take the next step.

This really won't be a surprise team for the other members of the GCC because Heights has played every GCC school since 2018 outside of the departing Solon. I think those results could correlate to what to expect in year 1 in GCC play. That is they will be very competitive but it will probably take some more time/building to compete with the very top of the league ... Mentor and now Medina.

Unless I'm missing a game, here is how Heights has fared against the current GCC under Stephens (all games have been since 2018)
Mentor: 0-1 (lost 7-49 in the 2019 playoffs)
Medina: 0-3 (lost 14-45 in the 2021 playoffs; lost 10-21 in 2019; lost 20-43 in 2018)
Strongsville: 1-1 (won 55-28 in 2022; lost 26-27 in 2021)
Euclid: 1-1 (won 46-14 in 2021; lost 7-34 in 2020)
Brunswick: 2-0 (won 43-13 in 2022; won 13-0 in 2018)
Shaker Heights: 4-0 (won 70-6 in 2022; won 28-21 in 2021; won 17-14 in 2020; won 50-6 in 2019)

Not the biggest sample size, but they have gone 8-2 against the rest of the league excluding Medina/Mentor, but 0-4 against what has (over the past 4-5 years) been the Big 2.

When the GCC formed, Euclid got the nod over Cleveland Hts since Euclid is right off of 90/2, while Cleveland Hts is not really that accessible off the highway - which creates more distance for contests when teams are coming in from distance off the highway (i.e. the rest of the league).

Before Solon moved to the SL, the addition of Cleveland Hts and Shaker Hts brought the league up to eight after Elyria left for the SWC, and Shaker had left the league the first time.

When the GCC formed, Euclid got the nod over Cleveland Hts since Euclid is right off of 90/2, while Cleveland Hts is not really that accessible off the highway - which creates more distance for contests when teams are coming in from distance off the highway (i.e. the rest of the league).

Before Solon moved to the SL, the addition of Cleveland Hts and Shaker Hts brought the league up to eight after Elyria left for the SWC, and Shaker had left the league the first time.
I understand why Euclid was chosen. But the biggest factor was Mentor wanted them due to proximity/historical rival. If Mentor would have some some reason vouched for Cleveland Heights instead, the westside schools would have been behind that. The distance factor is marginal. Euclid is 5-6 less minutes for those schools (due to being off 90) but is actually 5-6 more miles in distance compared to CH.

It's moot now because both are in the league, but not getting the nod in 2015, IMO, set the Cleveland Heights program back by a half-decade. They've had teams the past couple of year that were capable of making deep runs but the LEL did nothing to prepare them for the R1 playoffs, which is one of the reasons why they've had little playoff success (including last year's epic meltdown to St. Ignatius).

I understand why Euclid was chosen. But the biggest factor was Mentor wanted them due to proximity/historical rival. If Mentor would have some some reason vouched for Cleveland Heights instead, the westside schools would have been behind that. The distance factor is marginal. Euclid is 5-6 less minutes for those schools (due to being off 90) but is actually 5-6 more miles in distance compared to CH.

It's moot now because both are in the league, but not getting the nod in 2015, IMO, set the Cleveland Heights program back by a half-decade. They've had teams the past couple of year that were capable of making deep runs but the LEL did nothing to prepare them for the R1 playoffs, which is one of the reasons why they've had little playoff success (including last year's epic meltdown to St. Ignatius).
It's all about the coach. Euclid was better than Heights when they had Rotsky. Then they fell off. Heights made a good hire now so they are ascending. They don't exactly have a stellar history by any means themselves

They should do very well again this year, however they were outcoached last year in the playoff loss to Iggy. They had WAY more talent that night and their kids couldn't respond when Iggy didn't just go away after halftime. At some point they will probably get outcoached again when it matters the most.
*smile* It was an amazing game on both sides. I was actually on the field and spoke with Ignatius Coach Kyle right after the game ended. He was crying and amazed at the outcome. Heights completely dominated the first half. Does that mean that Mac outcoached Kyle? Ignatius dominated the second half. Up until the game was played, nobody believed that Heights was more talented. There was definitely some luck involved. Both programs performed respectably.

I'm just curious, did Heights actually apply to be in the GCC when it first formed?

It's all about the coach. Euclid was better than Heights when they had Rotsky. Then they fell off. Heights made a good hire now so they are ascending. They don't exactly have a stellar history by any means themselves
Euclid with Rotsky was also better than Cleveland Heights with Rotsky.

Post Rotsky, like you said, Heights made a good hire who has kept them on an upward trajectory where as Euclid is TBD (but 1-19 over the past two years is not a great start). Of course, Euclid has had to rebuild in the GCC where Heights was able to do so in the LEL.

Even though my (that nobody with a say cared about) preference was Heights, I didn't knock the decision to go with Euclid back in 2015 and I don't blame Mentor for wanting it to happen because it made sense. And at the time, Euclid was the better program.

My thoughts were that Heights was the better school district (better community support and equal footing with potential). It may have been close in 2015, there is little doubt now.

I guess we'll see now that both are in the GCC but if I were to put money on it, I'm betting that Heights will be the better of the two moving forward.

Not sure why Rotsky is even being discussed here. He's hasn't coached at Heights or Euclid for quite some time. I agree that they've never contended for a state title, but when it comes to history, Heights has three current players in the NFL, with the Kelce's headed to the Hall of Fame, and one player in the CFL. They have a NFL Hall of Famer, Tom Mack. They've also had other players win the Super Bowl on the Patriots, Giants, and Eagles.

Not that any of that has anything to do with next season's team. Just saying that there's more history than most other NEO teams have.

I agree 100% that Cleveland Heights is definitely on the come-up as far as football goes. Coach Stephens sent 26 kids to college for football one season. And his assistant coach started the Build The Bridge program in 2020, and that has gone strong ever since.

I can see them contending for the Greater Cleveland Conference championship with Mentor.

I agree 100% that Cleveland Heights is definitely on the come-up as far as football goes. Coach Stephens sent 26 kids to college for football one season. And his assistant coach started the Build The Bridge program in 2020, and that has gone strong ever since.

I can see them contending for the Greater Cleveland Conference championship with Mentor.
It'll be more than just Mentor. They will also have to contend with Medina... and I'm even saying Strongsville (touting them has been few and far for me over the years). But I think they will be good.

Heights, though, should be in the top half of the league.

Not sure why Rotsky is even being discussed here. He's hasn't coached at Heights or Euclid for quite some time. I agree that they've never contended for a state title, but when it comes to history, Heights has three current players in the NFL, with the Kelce's headed to the Hall of Fame, and one player in the CFL. They have a NFL Hall of Famer, Tom Mack. They've also had other players win the Super Bowl on the Patriots, Giants, and Eagles.

Not that any of that has anything to do with next season's team. Just saying that there's more history than most other NEO teams have.
How many times have they made the final 8 and on? I'd say Euclid has a better history overall but agree heights looks better at this time.

I'm just saying heights has never been a title contender type. I think both they and Shaker are great adds though overall

Haven't even discussed the players that are going to be on the field yet.

Heights will feature junior Marquise Davis, a 4 start recruit, who plays running back, linebacker, and defensive back. He has offers from over 20 schools including Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan. Miami, Penn State ....

Then you have junior defensive end Brandon Caesar, who sat out all of last season due to an injury. His list of offers have come from Alabama, Penn State, USC, Notre Dame ...

Both of these young men know that their future rides on their performance and plan to make a statement. They are ranked 1 and 2 in NEO and are both in the top 15 in Ohio.

Haven't even discussed the players that are going to be on the field yet.

Heights will feature junior Marquise Davis, a 4 start recruit, who plays running back, linebacker, and defensive back. He has offers from over 20 schools including Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan. Miami, Penn State ....

Then you have junior defensive end Brandon Caesar, who sat out all of last season due to an injury. His list of offers have come from Alabama, Penn State, USC, Notre Dame ...

Both of these young men know that their future rides on their performance and plan to make a statement. They are ranked 1 and 2 in NEO and are both in the top 15 in Ohio.
I'm glad to add those to the star list now they are officially GCC players, but it's not like the GCC hasn't seen high level D1 talent roll through

The no. 1 projected pick in the 2025 NFL Draft is from the GCC. ... granted Drew Allar has never even started a college game.

I'm glad to add those to the star list now they are officially GCC players, but it's not like the GCC hasn't seen high level D1 talent roll through

The no. 1 projected pick in the 2025 NFL Draft is from the GCC. ... granted Drew Allar has never even started a college game.
Drew Allar was a great high school football player and he lifted Medina on his shoulders while he was there. Very similar to the way that Trubisky led the Cardinals when he was there. That being said, we're talking about high school football in 2023. Why is it so hard to say that Heights looks very good on paper for this coming season?

Drew Allar was a great high school football player and he lifted Medina on his shoulders while he was there. Very similar to the way that Trubisky led the Cardinals when he was there. That being said, we're talking about high school football in 2023. Why is it so hard to say that Heights looks very good on paper for this coming season?
When did I say they wouldn't be good?

Mentor also has a strong QB under center named Scotty Fox who has racked up 12 D1 offers from schools like Minesota, Kentucky, West Virginia, Indiana, etc.. He will look to have a strong junior campaign.

Should be a very interesting and competitive season for the Tigers of course adjustments would have to be made. They’re not playing any teams in LEL anymore. Competition has risen two fold.So there shouldn’t be any complaints about Cleveland Heights, playing anymore, inferior competition, and running up the score

1686846952744.png

^^^^^

Davis will be battling Bo Jackson for #1 RB in the state. I guess Davis is technically #1 RB currently as some list Jackson as an athlete but he will likely be a RB at the next level. Nonetheless both are 4* players; It will be interesting to see where these two players end up at the next level.

Mentor also has a strong QB under center named Scotty Fox who has racked up 12 D1 offers from schools like Minesota, Kentucky, West Virginia, Indiana, etc.. He will look to have a strong junior campaign.
Absolutely and I'm looking forward to seeing him play for the next couple of years!

^^^^^

Davis will be battling Bo Jackson for #1 RB in the state. I guess Davis is technically #1 RB currently as some list Jackson as an athlete but he will likely be a RB at the next level. Nonetheless both are 4* players; It will be interesting to see where these two players end up at the next level.
Two highly recruited RBs in Cleveland’s backyard. Almost sounds like the old days! Best of luck to both of these RBs!

*smile* It was an amazing game on both sides. I was actually on the field and spoke with Ignatius Coach Kyle right after the game ended. He was crying and amazed at the outcome. Heights completely dominated the first half. Does that mean that Mac outcoached Kyle? Ignatius dominated the second half. Up until the game was played, nobody believed that Heights was more talented. There was definitely some luck involved. Both programs performed respectably.
Yes, at the beginning of the game Coach Macs game plan was better than Kyle's. So yes he out coached him in the first half. However Kyle made the adjustments adjustments to get Iggy back in the game and eventually pull out the win. I'm a Heights fan. I'm just calling that game how I saw it. I will disagree with you in that many thought Heights was supposed to win that game. Especially the way it started.

Two highly recruited RBs in Cleveland’s backyard. Almost sounds like the old days! Best of luck to both of these RBs!
The GCC also has three potential D1 QBs this year. Scotty Fox already is racking up the offers and is one of the most highly recruited junior QBs in the state and Strongsville junior Nolan Beard has the size/potential (6-5/220) to also be a P5 type prospect. Then there is Medina senior Danny Stoddard who came in last year and broke all of Drew Allar's single-season passing records the year after Allar set them in winning Mr. Football.

That's part of why I said that Heights should finish in the top half of the league and maybe it was taken as a knock. But Mentor and Medina are going to both be at least as good as what they've been the past couple years, with Mentor likely being better. Strongsville has a chance to be a surprise team. I think all four will be formidable with Mentor and Medina being top 10 teams in NEO and Heights and Strongsville both being top 20 types.

I'm not sure about Brunswick or Euclid. My guess is Solon is going to struggle (I believe they lost a lot from last year and have struggled recently at the lower levels) and Shaker probably will struggle as well, but at least they also have one of the top junior prospects in the state in Trey McNutt.

The GCC looks to be in good shape this year and that jump in week-to-week competition is what Cleveland Heights needs. I'd argue that Euclid (by far the worst team in the GCC last year) probably would have finished second in the LEL. If nothing else, they were on about the same level as Maple Heights.

I just looked at Cleveland Heights' schedule. Yeah, they will not head into the playoffs with the "who have you played" label.

1. Berea-Midpark: Like Strongsville, I'm also high on Berea-Midpark this year. They have a D1 QB and a couple big D1 linemen. They may challenge for second in the SWC behind Avon this year. Solid opening game for both schools.

2. Paramus Catholic: those northern NJ Catholic schools always are tough (comparable to the big ones in Ohio). Don’t know much about them beyond that but seems like another very solid opponent.

3. Hudson: probably the top Suburban League program over the past 5-10 years so again another very solid opponent.

Then the GCC.

They will be battle tested. There's no Firestone, Shaw, Lorain, Garfield Heights, Bedford (there is still a Shaker ... but im joking with that because Shaker has the potential to be better than they've been) on the schedule this year.

Solid top to bottom.