Central Buckeye Conference 2020

if Shawnee ever gets small enough to be in the D6 range, the OHC would jump all over that in a heartbeat.

The 154 per class is actually a bit higher than actual Shawnee's count from 2018: 199 boys +231 girls = 430 total for grades 9 thru 11 is 143 kids per class. Assuming the 2,000 kids in the Shawnee school system is correct, it does not appear Shawnee will be Div VI in the foreseeable future.

Low 140s is about right since it included preschool in their count. Assuming 50/50 boy:girl ratio that narrowly gets you above the D4 cutoff line. If you have a couple classes where enrollment has a female tilt like currently they could sneak into D5 again.

Y'all are flying of the hinges here about Shawnee dropping divisions. First they are borderline D4/D5 now and let's not forget they added a division not too long ago or they'd be on the border of D3/D4. In other sports, they are still D2 with the majority of the CBC which takes me to my next point. There is no way the CBC shows them where the door is, they're not going anywhere haha

jobarules, I would have to agree with you they aren't going anywhere. Correct me if I am wrong but Shawnee was one of the charter schools for the CBC. Bellefontaine, Northeastern, Greenon, Urbana and I forget the sixth one...maybe London?

jobarules, I would have to agree with you they aren't going anywhere. Correct me if I am wrong but Shawnee was one of the charter schools for the CBC. Bellefontaine, Northeastern, Greenon, Urbana and I forget the sixth one...maybe London?
You are correct. KR joined when they opened in 77 and then Northwestern shortly after that. The core of the league has been steady for quite some time with a few teams coming and going in between.

Shawnee is also losing a lot of kids to Global Impact STEM Academy. For the foreseeable future Shawnee will be a D4/5 school in FB. I don't see any chance of the KT kicking them out anytime soon. (partially because I don't think any of the MR schools would be willing to move up to take their place). As for next year I think the absolute ceiling is 7-3 and a playoff appearance but that is going to require a lot of things to go their way.

Y'all are flying of the hinges here about Shawnee dropping divisions. First they are borderline D4/D5 now and let's not forget they added a division not too long ago or they'd be on the border of D3/D4. In other sports, they are still D2 with the majority of the CBC which takes me to my next point. There is no way the CBC shows them where the door is, they're not going anywhere haha

I said if they dropped to D6, the OHC would be salivating. I don't think the CBC would want a school the size of Mechanicsburg in the conference. As long as they are teetering D4/D5, they would absolutely be staying put.

Even with Shawnee on DV cusp, does it make sense to keep them in the KT? Considering North Union and Indian Lake are DV, shouldn't Shawnee be in the MR as well? Then move Northwestern to the KT and that would give the MR 3 DIV and 3 DV schools while the KT would have 1 DII, 3 DIII and 2 DIV schools. Shawnee could play Belle and Tecumseh or NW and KR in the crossovers.

Even with Shawnee on DV cusp, does it make sense to keep them in the KT? Considering North Union and Indian Lake are DV, shouldn't Shawnee be in the MR as well? Then move Northwestern to the KT and that would give the MR 3 DIV and 3 DV schools while the KT would have 1 DII, 3 DIII and 2 DIV schools. Shawnee could play Belle and Tecumseh or NW and KR in the crossovers.
as this logically makes the most sense i don’t think northwestern could compete

Northwestern wouldn't be able to compete in the "revenue" sports, football and boys' basketball. By current enrollment, Graham is actually the 5th largest school in the CBC followed closely by KR as the 6th. After that there's a slight dip to Urbana (7th) followed by another slight dip with Shawnee, NW and Benjamin Logan grouped together right above the D4 cutoff line in football and the D2 cutoff line in other sports in most years. By previous realignments (enrollment based) Graham should be going to the KT with Shawnee going to the MR, but there's no way in heck it's going to happen.

NW and Benjamin Logan have smaller enrollments than both Graham and Urbana but they have by far the two best all-around athletic programs in the MR. Competitively speaking, Shawnee is better than NW and Benjamin Logan in football and boys' basketball and probably similar or slightly better across the board in the other sports. Realignment doesn't really make any sense competitively at this point.

The split makes the most sense as is based on competitiveness. The only other split I wouldn't mind is a north/south but no change is needed

Then only way I see Shawnee losing that many kids to move them to DVI would be if all the outlying kids on the edge of the district line with Greenon move to Greenon after the new school is completed. Has Shawnee passed the Levy for their schools yet? Greenon will open the new school for the 21-22 school year. If there is open enrollment available I can see a ton of kids moving to Greenon. Good luck if they want to move into the Greenon district because there is literally no inventory of houses to buy. I think my wife said there were like 9 houses available for sale last month. So yeah I don’t see Shawnee going DVI anytime soon.

Shawnee is also losing a lot of kids to Global Impact STEM Academy. For the foreseeable future Shawnee will be a D4/5 school in FB. I don't see any chance of the KT kicking them out anytime soon. (partially because I don't think any of the MR schools would be willing to move up to take their place). As for next year I think the absolute ceiling is 7-3 and a playoff appearance but that is going to require a lot of things to go their way.

Kids going to GISA has no effect on athletics except for the competitive balance formula. GISA does not have any athletic programs and all of their students compete for their "home" schools.

Kids going to GISA has no effect on athletics except for the competitive balance formula. GISA does not have any athletic programs and all of their students compete for their "home" schools.
I am aware of this. My comment was more geared towards how Shawnee keeps dropping enrollment.

I'd imagine it has to do with the nature of their district. The county's population has been slowly shrinking and aging over the last few decades, and Shawnee doesn't really have a town or village in their district. They have a bunch of subdivisions and farmland, and it's been a long time since a new subdivision has gone up around here, although there is supposed to be something new in the works along 40 and Tuttle that would be in their district.

15+ years ago when they were small D2/large D3 out of six divisions they probably had a large population of subdivision kids. Today much of that housing is probably empty nester boomers in their 50s and 60s.

It looks to me like Arbiter has Greenon and Miami East on NW's schedule for week 2 and week 3 in 2021.
Back in the early 2000's these three schools seemed fairly competitive with each other and I think Greenon got the best of the other two. It was probably best ME left after the 05 season because Greenon and NW had some good teams and really good games against each other. I really like the NW vs. Greenon series, should always be a scheduled game.

Back in the early 2000's these three schools seemed fairly competitive with each other and I think Greenon got the best of the other two. It was probably best ME left after the 05 season because Greenon and NW had some good teams and really good games against each other. I really like the NW vs. Greenon series, should always be a scheduled game.
Eh Miami East has been by far the best of the 3 since they left the CBC. Competition in the CCC doesnt quite compete with the bigger CBC teams but Miami East has been nothing but successful. I think they beat Greenon and Northwestern 8 or 9 times out of 10 since leaving the league in 2005.

I didn't now Greenon or NW played ME since ME they left the CBC...I apologize for stating Greenon got the best of the two, I'm working from memory that is failing me. I went back and looked at the records and ME was 3-2 against both Greenon and NW while in the CBC. Yes, ME did much better in the CCC but the 2006-2008 time frame for Greenon and NW was some of the best football those two schools had played in many, many years.

The jump to the CCC helped Miami East rejuvenate both their football and boys' basketball programs. It was an excellent move on their part at the time.

I'm glad to see both of these games coming back on the schedule. Local rivals that should always get good gates early in the year.

I didn't now Greenon or NW played ME since ME they left the CBC...I apologize for stating Greenon got the best of the two, I'm working from memory that is failing me. I went back and looked at the records and ME was 3-2 against both Greenon and NW while in the CBC. Yes, ME did much better in the CCC but the 2006-2008 time frame for Greenon and NW was some of the best football those two schools had played in many, many years.
They didn't actually play, just my speculation on what would have happened. Warrior is correct that jumping when they did brought a rejuvenation to their team. In theory I'd love to see them back if a realignment were to happen