Celina vs Trotwood Madison

Interesting game, Celina's 2 losses (Wapak and Versailles) were by fairly large margins can they keep the game close vs the Rams? I am going with the Dawgs in an upset 17 - 14.

I would love to see Celina get this dub. It would be great for the area for our green and white Mercer Countians to get into the playoff frenzy and go on a long winning streak.

However, I do not think it is in the cards this weekend. They did not compete against their 2 best opponents. i just hope this is a sign of the futue for Celina and they keep on building and become a power in the area. CW has seen their progression first hand. The first few scrimmages were absolute laughers and the last couple were very competitive.

I hope Celina can pull the upset. I’ve seen Trotwood play several times over the years and while this is a different team, what impressed me is team speed and physicality that teams don’t often see in the WBL. Celina must bring their absolute A game to compete.

I hope Celina can pull the upset. I’ve seen Trotwood play several times over the years and while this is a different team, what impressed me is team speed and physicality that teams don’t often see in the WBL. Celina must bring their absolute A game to compete.
I just don’t understand why the conference makes you play 9 conference games. IMO you need at least 3 different looks out of your comfort zone. No excuse that the region 12 schools in your conference don’t get on I-75 south, and actually go to Dayton or Cincy to play a regular season game. Alter, GWOC, DPS, WW, Withrow, US will pick up a 1&1. With 16 teams qualifying for the post, there’s no excuse to not go play a few Dogs.

I just don’t understand why the conference makes you play 9 conference games. IMO you need at least 3 different looks out of your comfort zone. No excuse that the region 12 schools in your conference don’t get on I-75 south, and actually go to Dayton or Cincy to play a regular season game. Alter, GWOC, DPS, WW, Withrow, US will pick up a 1&1. With 16 teams qualifying for the post, there’s no excuse to not go play a few Dogs.
Has Celina picked up a week 1 opponent yet ?

The problem is finding opponents for 2 non-league games (not as easy as some posters think it is). I believe both Celina and Wapak have an opening for the 1st game next year.

I prefer the 9-game league schedule of the WBL. Everyone plays everyone. There's a decent amount of variety in the league from the spread/air raid of Kenton and Van Wert to the wing-t/physical game of St Marys and Wapak, some local games and some further away games. When it does come to the out of league games, you can't please everyone. A lot of folks clamor for the WBL-MAC backyard match-ups since the communities are all local and intertwined. I agree; I think it'd be nice to see the southern WBL schools like Celina, St Marys, and Wapak head down I-75 and play more MVL, SWBL, GCL Co-Ed, or SBAAC teams. None of those schools have a permanent week 1 foe anymore, so perhaps with time we'll see some more of that.

I prefer the 9-game league schedule of the WBL. Everyone plays everyone. There's a decent amount of variety in the league from the spread/air raid of Kenton and Van Wert to the wing-t/physical game of St Marys and Wapak, some local games and some further away games. When it does come to the out of league games, you can't please everyone. A lot of folks clamor for the WBL-MAC backyard match-ups since the communities are all local and intertwined. I agree; I think it'd be nice to see the southern WBL schools like Celina, St Marys, and Wapak head down I-75 and play more MVL, SWBL, GCL Co-Ed, or SBAAC teams. None of those schools have a permanent week 1 foe anymore, so perhaps with time we'll see some more of that.
Nine game league schedule leaves no doubt who wins the WBL! Good solid, secure league. But I agree it would be fun to take on challenges outside comfort zone.

Not a fan of a 9 game league slate but with 16 teams making it I highly doubt they will ever change.

Years ago I spoke to a wbl AD about taking on the MAC rotating basis and go with 8 and he said no way and now with 16 teams?
Nope.

It's so easy on the AD to fill their schedule.

Not as much depth or talent as in the past but starters are talented. D1 QB (Indiana), D1 corner Akron) a lot more guys go both ways than past teams. Team speed is exceptional. Solid senior class that's won since 7th grade however, a few of their best athletes have either transferred or don't play anymore. Graham and Ivy have been there since Douglass so there's nothing they haven't seen. They will continue at least until the regionals.

I have asked this too. We do not get good points because we are the 2nd largest school in our league. The leagues around Dayton and Cincinnati have mostly D-2 and D-3 schools and most schools that way play D-1 opponents too. I would love to see Celina travel south in week 1!

I have asked this too. We do not get good points because we are the 2nd largest school in our league. The leagues around Dayton and Cincinnati have mostly D-2 and D-3 schools and most schools that way play D-1 opponents too. I would love to see Celina travel south in week 1!
Is Marion Local south enough?

Edit: If Celina would have def. Versailles week one the Dawgs would have likely been a top 4 seed.

Last edited:

Edit: If Celina would have def. Versailles week one the Dawgs would have likely been a top 4 seed.

Edit: If Celina would have def. Versailles week one the Dawgs would have likely been a top 4

MAC schools are great but WBL teams need competition against quality teams in Region 12.

Ehhhh. It would have been a stretch because that would have dropped Versailles to 7-3 with them only beating 1 team with a winning record and that is Minster. Anna and Fort Loramie were 5-5 in the regular season.

As for the Marion question. If the WBL had 2 non-conference games, absolutely play Marion or Coldwater plus 1 larger Dayton/Cincinnati school. Another member stated it, Celina needs to play a team they would face in the playoffs.

Ehhhh. It would have been a stretch because that would have dropped Versailles to 7-3 with them only beating 1 team with a winning record and that is Minster. Anna and Fort Loramie were 5-5 in the regular season.

As for the Marion question. If the WBL had 2 non-conference games, absolutely play Marion or Coldwater plus 1 larger Dayton/Cincinnati school. Another member stated it, Celina needs to play a team they would face in the playoffs.
Celina finished with 20.85 computer pts. Butler who was 4th finished with 22.1 pts. If Celina had def. Versailles the Dogs would have most likely added 2 computer pts. to their total 1st level pts. plus 2nd level pts.

Let me ask you? What if a non-region 12 team gave them the same look or scheme as a region 12 team? A lot of teams in the playoffs face teams they haven't seen before however, they faced a different team in the regular season that had the same type of athletes, formations, and looks.

In the end though, to win a championship, you're gonna have to beat whoever lines up across from you anyway.... 🤷‍♂️

Let me ask you? What if a non-region 12 team gave them the same look or scheme as a region 12 team? A lot of teams in the playoffs face teams they haven't seen before however, they faced a different team in the regular season that had the same type of athletes, formations, and looks.

In the end though, to win a championship, you're gonna have to beat whoever lines up across from you anyway.... 🤷‍♂️
High school D-1 thru D-3/4 is a different beast when it comes to athletes. Trotwood has 3 players with D-1 college interest. I get the formations and schemes piece, but athletic discrepancies are huge.

IMO, you’ve got gain experience/ insight against teams you’ll likely face down the road.
While your argument does carry some weight, right now the WBL (Kenton, St. Marys, Wapak, Celina and Lima Bath) have all had trouble with MAC schools over the years.

So should they try to schedule some Region 12 (or matching region for the school) teams they can beat? Would that help them instead of getting beat by smaller MAC schools?

I would be 100% behind your strategy here if the current WBL teams were just beating their week 1 MAC counterparts like a drum, but I would think with that NOT happening then scheduling region 12 teams is not going to help them. This is not the other sports where coaches are voting on the seeds (which hoops is going away from this) where you want to get in front of those voters. The Harbins are the Harbins and if you understand them (which I was just told a local coach is complaining and wanting to contact the OHSAA about the points because of their first round matchup so no all coaches understand apparently) then the points are the points. Beat those MAC schools and a lot of this takes care of itself.

Not a bad idea you have, thavoice approves, as MAC schools do not have the athletes a Trotwood recruits in, but i think Iron sharpens Iron, and the celina/ver and MSML/Wapak matchups are beneficial to those WBL teams.

While your argument does carry some weight, right now the WBL (Kenton, St. Marys, Wapak, Celina and Lima Bath) have all had trouble with MAC schools over the years.

So should they try to schedule some Region 12 (or matching region for the school) teams they can beat? Would that help them instead of getting beat by smaller MAC schools?

I would be 100% behind your strategy here if the current WBL teams were just beating their week 1 MAC counterparts like a drum, but I would think with that NOT happening then scheduling region 12 teams is not going to help them. This is not the other sports where coaches are voting on the seeds (which hoops is going away from this) where you want to get in front of those voters. The Harbins are the Harbins and if you understand them (which I was just told a local coach is complaining and wanting to contact the OHSAA about the points because of their first round matchup so no all coaches understand apparently) then the points are the points. Beat those MAC schools and a lot of this takes care of itself.

Not a bad idea you have, thavoice approves, as MAC schools do not have the athletes a Trotwood recruits in, but i think Iron sharpens Iron, and the celina/ver and MSML/Wapak matchups are beneficial to those WBL teams.
I agree with what you say. However, I will say that the one team that definitely would benefit from tough Dayton/ Cincinnati matchups is Wapakoneta. I am not saying that playing Marion Local did not benefit them, what I am saying is that Wapak needs some different iron in order to take the next step in Region 12.

D3 Region 12: Franklin

Vs Marion Local 63-7 L
Vs D2 Big Walnut (Still in playoffs) 41-14 L
VS D3 R12 C-J (Still in playoffs) 34-28 L
Vs D3 R12 Belbrook (Still in PLayoffs) 31-0 L

I would argue ML is the best team Franklin saw all year.

High school D-1 thru D-3/4 is a different beast when it comes to athletes. Trotwood has 3 players with D-1 college interest. I get the formations and schemes piece, but athletic discrepancies are huge.
You have convinced me if Celina can't tree the Tigers (V) the Dawgs won't be able to catch Trotwood, neither will Wapak. Hopefully I am wrong.

D3 Region 12: Franklin

Vs Marion Local 63-7 L
Vs D2 Big Walnut (Still in playoffs) 41-14 L
VS D3 R12 C-J (Still in playoffs) 34-28 L
Vs D3 R12 Belbrook (Still in PLayoffs) 31-0 L

I would argue ML is the best team Franklin saw all year.
Sounds like you have a bad case of Mactosis, I catch it once in awhile myself. You need a visit from Dr. Hoser.

No it's not, there's collegiate athletes on every level of high school sports, some schools more than others however, the smaller school could have more than the bigger school or have more D1 collegiate athletes than the bigger schools. For the one-millionth time as many have stated on this forum, divisions are determined by the school's male enrollment not by athletics. I can name 10-20 D1-4 schools in the Dayton area that couldn't beat anyone in the MAC in football right now and they'd struggle winning in the you're guys conference, Shelby County, and the OHC, all small school Leagues.

And those kids you mentioned, are signed to D1 schools since the beginning of the year not just college interest. CT you're just making excuses because you already know what's coming on Friday. But there's always the possibility of Celina winning that's why you play the game!

Most of D1 and a lot of D2 especially at the top are a different animal than most of Ohio football. D3 - D7 though is a lot narrower gap than people will admit. With the exception of TCC this year the gap is not that big. I will add Glenville as well but even their results in playoffs last year show other D4 teams like Van Wert could play with them.