Cavs 2023-24

Yep…25 and 13 in a loss..we can keep him but he is not a starter…hasn’t improved much in 3 years…fine around the rim but in no way a 4 in today’s game. He is taking minutes from guys that can shoot the basketball. Shooting is what makes the NBA go round. Deep dive the stats and games…wins and losses when he starts…then come back. Is the goal to actually win a title? Or just homer for our draft picks?
I could care less if he was a draft pick, a trade pick up, or a guy they found on the playground.

Mobley had 22/17/7 last night, with 2 blocks and 2 steals. +19 when on the court. Get a clue. There is no one on the bench going to contribute those numbers.

Reactions: y2h
Garland defense is France ca. 1940
Yes Garland has matchup problems at his size. Cunningham is tough and 6'6". But in the end, Garland outscored him 29-21. Garland was 29/5/4 with a +5. You just like to complain about things. Mr glass half empty...

Reactions: y2h
That was a good win with Mitchell and Levert out…bench guys stepped up. This week is a brutal test…this will show what we are made of…

The guy played in a total of 41 games in 3 years coming into this season, has a hot week or two and is now in the pantheon of Cleveland legends like Ryan Merritt, Cedi Osman, Jordan Maybin, Colin Sexton and Denzel Ward!
To be fair Ward is an All Pro CB...when healthy. Those other guys don't approach that level.

Yep…25 and 13 in a loss..we can keep him but he is not a starter…hasn’t improved much in 3 years…fine around the rim but in no way a 4 in today’s game. He is taking minutes from guys that can shoot the basketball. Shooting is what makes the NBA go round. Deep dive the stats and games…wins and losses when he starts…then come back. Is the goal to actually win a title? Or just homer for our draft picks?
You keep coming hot with these terrible takes...thanks for keeping it light around here.

Yes Garland has matchup problems at his size. Cunningham is tough and 6'6". But in the end, Garland outscored him 29-21. Garland was 29/5/4 with a +5. You just like to complain about things. Mr glass half empty...
The part of the game I watched Garland was not guarding Cunningham, he was mostly guarding Ivey …. so you comparison is a little misleading … but I actually agree with most of the rest … Garland is an above average to good NBA player, especially on the offensive end of the court … but he does have his limitations (especially on D) and needs to be more consistent and a little less ball dominant IMO … hopefully him and Mobley will both be able step it up in the prime time games and the playoffs when it is really needed … that is my only question … can they be constantly prime time players in prime time?

The part of the game I watched Garland was not guarding Cunningham, he was mostly guarding Ivey …. so you comparison is a little misleading … but I actually agree with most of the rest … Garland is an above average to good NBA player, especially on the offensive end of the court … but he does have his limitations (especially on D) and needs to be more consistent and a little less ball dominant IMO … hopefully him and Mobley will both be able step it up in the prime time games and the playoffs when it is really needed … that is my only question … can they be constantly prime time players in prime time?
Fair enough, Ivey is also a tough matchup for Garland at 6'4". Garland will have this matchup problem a lot, due to his lack of size. But my point about outscoring his matchup is even greater (29-18).

As for their consistency, I agree it is lacking. That happens with young players. It should improve.

Fair enough, Ivey is also a tough matchup for Garland at 6'4". Garland will have this matchup problem a lot, due to his lack of size. But my point about outscoring his matchup is even greater (29-18).

As for their consistency, I agree it is lacking. That happens with young players. It should improve.
Garland will have defensive issues always … lack of height and girth … and he still dominates the ball a little too much for me … hopefully this will improve with time … anyone who implies he is not at least a very good player is just kidding themselves … my only issue with him or Mobley was their inexperience and I question whether or not they will be able to step it up to help the Cavs become true contender … my assertion, was the Cavs had really only two choices … 1) go all in for Mitchell and trade for veterans who ready to win big now … or 2) hedge your bet by keeping the young studs, that way if Mitchell wants out after this season … you are not starting from zero … you still have a couple young guns … I would have gone all in for this year … the Cavs decided to hedge their bet … I hope I am wrong and the Cavs make a deep playoff run … but I have a bad feeling the will win maybe one series and out … then Mitchell will ask out and the Cavs will have to reload around Mobley and Garland … which in my mind, makes the process of becoming a true contender much more difficult … Mitchell is a true difference maker in the NBA … Mobley & Garland may develop into ones … but there is no guarantee.

F2DA4239-E6D2-43B7-9BDA-AACCB6F0B456.jpeg

Cavs throwing games, JB must have money on the Knicks.

Huge game at home on national TV vs the team which embarrassed you last year and Mitchell is in street clothes?

Just tired of losing these games already. Zero excuse tonight. You have 2 our, they have 4 out. Absurd
Get used to it. Whatever “it” is that separates the contenders from the pretenders, the Cavs don’t have “it.”

I fully expect them to lose the next three, as they slide down the standings as it starts getting intense in the season…just like last year.

I really hope for the best, but I fully expect another first round flame out, which will make it hard to retain Mitchell.

Strus gets hammered going to the rim...what foul? 🤣

Pathetic effort tonight. Pussywillow "star" can't be bothered to suit up.

JB:

9c995655ef034b9d8f9b933d7e6f3aa7771c99318c0a511c0a9d79edb74b97a5_1.jpg

Terrible game and unless Mitchell plays tomorrow they lose by double digits to the Celtics. Some take aways yesterday:
  • This is just a soft team. While the current NBA is not the thug era it is still a physical game and these guys, especially the bigs, just don't stand up to physical play. Their shooting guard had just 1 less rebound than the Allen & Mobley combo.
  • The lack of a 2nd ball handler is a concern in the 4th quarter. With no Mitchell you just Hound Garland and then there is no 2nd choice that can run the offense on his own.
  • The '23 free agents are very frustrating, Strus & Niang just cannot be trusted on either end of the court game to game. Combined they were 2-15 from the field last night.

The contradiction with this team that I have an issue with is that this team has statistically been a good defense. Generally, good defensive teams are gritty and play with a lot of heart. The way this team gets pushed around is the exact opposite of being gritty and having a lot of heart.

The contradiction with this team that I have an issue with is that this team has statistically been a good defense. Generally, good defensive teams are gritty and play with a lot of heart. The way this team gets pushed around is the exact opposite of being gritty and having a lot of heart.
Yes, I was thinking the same thing. Last night during the telecast the announcer mentioned the Cavs were the 2nd ranked defense in the league. But the Knicks seemed like the grittier, more physical team on defense. Except for Okoro and Wade, the Cavs seem like a mostly skilled offensive team. But again, Mitchell has been really gritty on the defensive end this year too. He sets the pace for everyone else.

Bottom line, every time the Cavs would cut the lead to 2-4 points, the Knicks would hit the big shot they needed. Some of them very tough shots.

The stats lie. They did last year, too. All built on the first 50 games. When everyone dialed it up after the all-star break the defense was gone and they lost to every .500-plus team they faced. We’re seeing the same thing this year. There is one constant…JB. I wouldn’t break up the team before letting an experienced coach do a season with them.

The stats lie. They did last year, too. All built on the first 50 games. When everyone dialed it up after the all-star break the defense was gone and they lost to every .500-plus team they faced. We’re seeing the same thing this year. There is one constant…JB. I wouldn’t break up the team before letting an experienced coach do a season with them.
Their slow pace undoubtedly helps their points against too.