Canton McKinley Bulldogs

Some people feel that Sean Weatherspoon will be the next coach. What do u think?
I mean that is what I hear people want.

I did say they were talented but apparently alot can change in two years. Did every kid stay healthy all year? Did any kids quit? Injuries happen but that changes a team dynamic. IF neither of those happened then I would say either the team underacheived which is coaches fault or the kids got caught up to from last year and you can only play with hand you are dealt. Sometimes the Jimmy and the Joes just arent good enough

I can say this if people expect size, speed, strength to walk through that door then anyone can coach there. If the talent level remains the same combined with the opinions of the fans and parents that job wont be appealing to anyone. Maybe I am wrong and you will have parents who wont say my kid needs 15-20 shots a night and the offense run through him and they will sit back and let the coaches coach. But then again 15 years as varsity asst coach for various schools and demographics tell me that this job will be a pain for a long time.

How does the saying go, Opinions are like.... Everyone has one and some smell like s###

I did say they were talented but apparently alot can change in two years. Did every kid stay healthy all year? Did any kids quit? Injuries happen but that changes a team dynamic. IF neither of those happened then I would say either the team underacheived which is coaches fault or the kids got caught up to from last year and you can only play with hand you are dealt. Sometimes the Jimmy and the Joes just arent good enough

I can say this if people expect size, speed, strength to walk through that door then anyone can coach there. If the talent level remains the same combined with the opinions of the fans and parents that job wont be appealing to anyone. Maybe I am wrong and you will have parents who wont say my kid needs 15-20 shots a night and the offense run through him and they will sit back and let the coaches coach. But then again 15 years as varsity asst coach for various schools and demographics tell me that this job will be a pain for a long time.

How does the saying go, Opinions are like.... Everyone has one and some smell like s###
It’s a big possibility that if Coach V is gone and Sean Weatherspoon comes, the Peterson kid will come to Mckinley and that group will all be back again.

It’s a big possibility that if Coach V is gone and Sean Weatherspoon comes, the Peterson kid will come to Mckinley and that group will all be back again.
You will see Peterson at GlenOak well before he attends Canton City , trust me on that one. Oh wait, perhaps it is already a done deal. HHmmm who knows....

Whoever is coaching McKinley the next several years has to start recruiting Canton kids to keep them at McKinley and away from GlenOak, Perry and wherever it is they're going. If they don't feel the need to do that for whatever reason then I don't want them at McKinley.

Whoever is coaching McKinley the next several years has to start recruiting Canton kids to keep them at McKinley and away from GlenOak, Perry and wherever it is they're going. If they don't feel the need to do that for whatever reason then I don't want them at McKinley.
Well said Caleb!!!!!!!

I unfortunately have moved out of state to Greener (or Browner) pastures of Arizona. I coached at McKinley before I moved. I used to get alot of texts from the coaches and players. Seems i am out of sight out of mind which I kind of expected.

Had alot of high hopes for this group. Extremely talented and felt they could make a sneaky run at district title IMO.

I can say this being with Coach V for numerous years at Harding and then McKinley and then listening to parents, so-called fans who would sit in the Fieldhouse in Summer and watch the kids practice. There are a ton of accusations thrown around and I for one never once saw them to be true. Was he hard on kids, Yes, Did he yell alot to get his point across, Yes. But does he care genuinely for those kids, 100%

he is honest with parents and kids alike, that is his character. He is loyal and trustworthy and is a straight shooter.

Did I sit in that office as parent after parent come in and tell coaches like V and Chet what their kids deserved and whose team in should be and who the offense should be run through etc. Did he have to sit through those meetings. Yep cause thats how we were told business is done in Canton.

Did i have a parent yell at me cause his kid got yanked in a game we lost and in front of the kid. Did that kid tell his father story after story but when confronted about the truth had to admit he lied to his father cause coach was hard on him and he didnt like it. Happened 4 times to my recollection in two months 4 different kids.

So when i sit on here and people aren't happy I will say this. multiple kids left the system cause they weren't given the keys the kingdom, you get a coach that will placate every talented kid over the program as a whole you reap what you sow. The expectations will never go down and thats great but I hate that people act like the cupboard is over flowing with talent. It just isn't and when people get those expectations dialed in then the program will go on the upswing.

He was an outsider in Warren and constantly criticized but won in spite of alot, he has been criticized since day one here also and has won his fair share also. I think he will be fine but then again I am sure more people want him gone than want him to stay
ALL of this is accurate except "extremely talented." IMO, they are a marginally talented group with no height. The rest of it, though, yeah ... spot on.

Last edited:
Earlier you said there was a lot of talent there, so what happened. Why was this such a losing season. I think this may have been the worst or one of the worst seasons on record. Historical low.

I would say the team is marginally talented with no height (relatively speaking), and that they did underperform for stretches but I don't automatically put that on coaching. Not that simple.

What are you basing this on?. I guess that would mean Peterson's dad must really like Sean Weatherspoon. Peterson (the kid) would've gladly played for Coach V -- I've seen him come up to Coach V at McK football games and hug him and chop it up for a while. The dad made that call. So you must be saying the dad is a huge Weatherspoon fan. I guess.

After speaking with numerous parties I will tell you this. No way Peterson ends up at McKinley, he stays at CVCA, very small chance at Glenoak or Prep school.

I can tell you this there is less than zero chance percent chance they fire Coach V. Now if he resigns thats another story but that would be pure guessing on my part.

I was being generous with extremely talented I guess, there was alot of early talent in the senior class that I thought would become bigger and better. One kid really lived up to my expectations.

I am not in the business of disparaging other coaches but I like Coach Weatherspoon but anyone who can tell you with a straight face with what he is doing with at Alliance it would translate to wins at McKinley they are lying right to your face.

I am almost positive when Coach V steps away Weatherspoon will be the front runner because of his ties to the school as well as his reputation as a person. But looking at his record none of these so-called fans would be calling for an outsider with his record as head coach before. Time will tell but I can tell you this the way the parents and fans are now that is not a destination job like some people think it is

What are you basing this on?. I guess that would mean Peterson's dad must really like Sean Weatherspoon. Peterson (the kid) would've gladly played for Coach V -- I've seen him come up to Coach V at McK football games and hug him and chop it up for a while. The dad made that call. So you must be saying the dad is a huge Weatherspoon fan. I guess.
This is spot on. Dad likes Coach V too. He has more history with Futch and that tipped the scales

no one gave GlenOak any press for this year. Start 3 Sophmores and 1 junior and 1 senior this year. The least talented of the 5 is the senior. They have the best freshman in the area who will contribute next year. Look out.
Wait til you see what the football team does over the next three years. Don’t forget Peterson and Lipkins are best friends and a lot of you thought Lipkins went to CVCA. Let’s see what Peterson decides to do next year. Come to GlenOak you are hands down a two time State Champ. More will be coming over from the city, take
It to the bank.

So sad that the great McKinley program is going through what many programs around the country are going through. The parents are relentless and most administrators sit and watch the beating. Is this guy the right coach? I have No clue but it’s definitely not working. I’m wish him and the Pups well.

Plaingoldeneagle.... you are delusional as usual.. someday maybe your eagles can hang with McKinley on a consistent basis... nice that you are all in on your school but get real
Never said we trying to hang with McKinley. Your program has nothing that interests us. However I feel your pain as you feel the constant beat downs the mighty TIG hands you all
Not even a competition anymore
But hey I am delusional right.

Never said we trying to hang with McKinley. Your program has nothing that interests us. However I feel your pain as you feel the constant beat downs the mighty TIG hands you all
You do realize you're on the basketball forum, right?
You are right though. It's not even a competition anymore, but McKinley's the one with 7 wins in a row and with the 3 OHSAA State Championships in basketball.

If you factor in girls basketball, how many in a row have the Bulldogs won against the Tigers?

Wow. lol. So you're talking smack because another school beats McKinley? The Bulldogs running-clocked CANTON GlenJoke 40-7 without their biggest offensive weapon (Nino Hill) and then "only" beat the CANTON Golden Chickens 40-22 in the playoffs. And you come on here and talk . You're fantastic. Incredible. Keep doing you. Seriously, only you would run down a program that beats your favorite CANTON school by 33 points and then by 18 points (only because CANTON GlenJoke scored a couple late garbage tds to avoid another running clock.)

Last edited:
Never said we trying to hang with McKinley. Your program has nothing that interests us.
Except McKinley and Timken's former coach you turned to to try and resurrect the program. That interests you.
Things I know: Greynolds and Hackenberg can coach. But for some reason they struggled at GlenOak. Hairston also has had inconsistency. I'd say it's a GlenOak problem. But by all means, go off.