Brush leaving WRC

They can schedule hudson and twinsburg types out of conference. And the gcc is d1 like them instead of d2 and d3. Fits them competitively across all sports way better. No reason to travel further for less competitive sports
Solon’s enrollment will be dropping to D2 soon. You’re grasping on straws. GCC is a dead duck.

Solon’s enrollment will be dropping to D2 soon. You’re grasping on straws. GCC is a dead duck.
That's possible on the gcc. Who knows. We'd be fine either way. I'd just feel bad for the AD in scheduling

Still doesn't mean the wrc makes sense for solon. It would be a big step down when they compete well in many gcc sports. They have been our best football competition despite being down for a few years.

That's possible on the gcc. Who knows. We'd be fine either way. I'd just feel bad for the AD in scheduling

Still doesn't mean the wrc makes sense for solon. It would be a big step down when they compete well in many gcc sports. They have been our best football competition despite being down for a few years.
It actually makes complete sense. We will see.

It actually makes complete sense. We will see.
Really doesn't. Suburban I'd get but traveling further for worse competition doesn't make much sense . They can play more close schools across many sports with less league games in the gcc. I'm talking not football especially.

And in football Solon has zero issues getting public's to play them.

In regards to Solon, I just don’t see it happening. The league doesn’t improve their location issues at all. And despite what Google says, Solon and Mayfield are not rivals. One of two things will happen with Solon in the next 2-3 years: their football team will rebound, in which case they’ll remain in the GCC, or the decline will continue, and they will join SL National. They will bide their time for the SL, where their natural rivals are.

FTR...Nordonia and Stow were the ones leading the charge against Solon for the SL.

In regards to Solon, I just don’t see it happening. The league doesn’t improve their location issues at all. And despite what Google says, Solon and Mayfield are not rivals. One of two things will happen with Solon in the next 2-3 years: their football team will rebound, in which case they’ll remain in the GCC, or the decline will continue, and they will join SL National. They will bide their time for the SL, where their natural rivals are.

FTR...Nordonia and Stow were the ones leading the charge against Solon for the SL.
Now that makes perfect sense. They are only having to play 5 teams now in the gcc. That gives more games across many sports where they can play geographically closer teams. Why would they give more conference games to drive just as far for worse competition while being obliged to play more games ? Makes no sense

In terms of the WRC and who gets in, this could be very interesting. This might just be a one and done, or this could create a large ripple effect. Here are the teams who might possibly apply and potentially be accepted.

Aurora: They are an outlier geographically, but they kind of are too in the SL. They get a natural rival back in conference, and they align with these schools really nicely.

West Geauga: Don’t know if they would want to leave the CVC, especially since they aren’t super competitive. But if they did apply, I would give them the best chance to get in the league.

Gilmour: Obviously the private school thing could be a big issue, but they have great facilities and could be a fit. They’re not a huge threat as far as football is concerned, which is a positive with them being private. Just outside the geographic footprint.

Bedford: I know it doesn’t make sense on the surface, especially with Brush having just left...however they did apply for membership in the SL. They have great facilities, and are a better fit for the WRC than the SL. Not sure they would get in, but I bet they apply.

I have a hard time seeing any of the other Eastern Lake/Ashtabula schools applying. With the recent CVC expansion, they have it really good in regards to proximity.

Something that I think would be cool and out of the box would be a joint membership application of Kirtland (football only) and Mentor (all other sports). Will it happen? I highly doubt it, but it would be cool.

In terms of the WRC and who gets in, this could be very interesting. This might just be a one and done, or this could create a large ripple effect. Here are the teams who might possibly apply and potentially be accepted.

Aurora: They are an outlier geographically, but they kind of are too in the SL. They get a natural rival back in conference, and they align with these schools really nicely.

West Geauga: Don’t know if they would want to leave the CVC, especially since they aren’t super competitive. But if they did apply, I would give them the best chance to get in the league.

Gilmour: Obviously the private school thing could be a big issue, but they have great facilities and could be a fit. They’re not a huge threat as far as football is concerned, which is a positive with them being private. Just outside the geographic footprint.

Bedford: I know it doesn’t make sense on the surface, especially with Brush having just left...however they did apply for membership in the SL. They have great facilities, and are a better fit for the WRC than the SL. Not sure they would get in, but I bet they apply.

I have a hard time seeing any of the other Eastern Lake/Ashtabula schools applying. With the recent CVC expansion, they have it really good in regards to proximity.

Something that I think would be cool and out of the box would be a joint membership application of Kirtland (football only) and Mentor (all other sports). Will it happen? I highly doubt it, but it would be cool.
I like the bedford fit. That makes sense if they truly want someone closer to mayfield. West g does make sense too .

I think Kirtland has a good thing in the cvc. Can move up and down in a stable conference. And Mentor sports even without football makes no sense in the wrc. Maybe if you drop boys basketball and a few others but then what would even be the point of a league like that. Too unstable

The western schools in the WRC (Mayfield, North, South) do not want to commute to Ashtabula. That is why they were left out of the WRC to begin with. Aurora and Solon are the best options. West G will not leave the CVC with declining enrollment. We just have to see who bites. I would bet Solon before Aurora.

Last edited:
The western schools in the WRC (Mayfield, North, South) do not want to commute to Ashtabula. That is why they were left out of the WRC to begin with. Aurora and Solon are the best options. West G will not leave the CVC with declining enrollment.

I don’t know if there is a great fit. I think one thing we’re starting to see more of is conferences not being afraid to go with seven teams. GCC (now at six), SL National, Federal League. It’s easier now than ever to get a game later in the season. Certainly a possibility.

Curious if Lake Catholic would throw their hat in the ring. I’m guessing they wouldn’t go anywhere without NDCL, but they are a great fit for a lot of reasons. I can just see the new Crown Conference being a total cluster.

I don’t know if there is a great fit. I think one thing we’re starting to see more of is conferences not being afraid to go with seven teams. GCC (now at six), SL National, Federal League. It’s easier now than ever to get a game later in the season. Certainly a possibility.

Curious if Lake Catholic would throw their hat in the ring. I’m guessing they wouldn’t go anywhere without NDCL, but they are a great fit for a lot of reasons. I can just see the new Crown Conference being a total cluster.
If you read the reports attached, invitations have already been sent. The western schools have driven the league affiliation from the formation of the WRC. They will determine the replacement school.

Brush leaving has more to do with football than anything else. Scheduling non-conference games this year while the rest of the WRC played and competing outside the WRC probably cinched it.

They can and do schedule tough basketball games OOC (Iggy, St. Edward 2 nights ago) so competition is always there for hoops.

West G and Chagrin Falls are shrinking and were happy to have Aurora and Kenston leave the CVC. Kirtland is finally moving up to the Chagrin from the Valley in the CVC, but might drop to D6 next year. Yeah, I get they probably could of won D4 this year, but they are happy where they are.

That old GCC was great, but then Euclid and Mentor became too big/good. I think Mayfield/Brush, North/South and Bedford/Maple Hts had enough. We'll see how long Brush stays independent.

Brush leaving has more to do with football than anything else. Scheduling non-conference games this year while the rest of the WRC played and competing outside the WRC probably cinched it.

They can and do schedule tough basketball games OOC (Iggy, St. Edward 2 nights ago) so competition is always there for hoops.

West G and Chagrin Falls are shrinking and were happy to have Aurora and Kenston leave the CVC. Kirtland is finally moving up to the Chagrin from the Valley in the CVC, but might drop to D6 next year. Yeah, I get they probably could of won D4 this year, but they are happy where they are.

That old GCC was great, but then Euclid and Mentor became too big/good. I think Mayfield/Brush, North/South and Bedford/Maple Hts had enough. We'll see how long Brush stays independent.
Also, Madison and Riverside were denied admission to the old GCC. That caused its demise. The WRC was developed with purpose to be encompassing of northeast Ohio and to grow. It will be interesting to see the outcome.

Interestingly, the WRC has 2 state championships in the last 3 seasons. Not something many conferences can boast.. (Outside of Mentor, has any GCC school ever won their region? And have any of them ever won a State Championship, including Mentor?) Albeit the championships came in D3 in a mostly D2 conference, it’s hard to question the quality of play in this league when compared to the Suburban League. In 2020 Riverside went to OT with undefeated Hudson, and Mayfield beat Nordonia easily in the second round, with Chardon winning the D3 title.. In 2019 Mayfield took Hoban to the last play in the regional championship and Chardon lost by 3 to Aurora in the same round... 2018 Riverside beat Nordonia in the first round with Kenston winning the D3 title... and in 2017 Brush beat Hudson in the first round. Hard to imagine why someone would say the WRC is “worse competition” than the Suburban. I still think Nordonia checks more boxes than anyone. They seem to be too small for the big Suburban, and too big for the small Suburban. And they already have a rivalry with Mayfield. Geographically speaking it wouldn’t be perfect, but Madison would be the longest trip at less than an hour, roughly 20 minutes longer than Wadsworth. They would fit right in the middle of the WRC in enrollment. I don’t think they would be overwhelmed by the league schedule and the league wouldn’t be afraid to add them in.

I still think Nordonia checks more boxes than anyone. They seem to be too small for the big Suburban, and too big for the small Suburban. And they already have a rivalry with Mayfield. Geographically speaking it wouldn’t be perfect, but Madison would be the longest trip at less than an hour, roughly 20 minutes longer than Wadsworth. They would fit right in the middle of the WRC in enrollment. I don’t think they would be overwhelmed by the league schedule and the league wouldn’t be afraid to add them in.
I have thought of Nordonia too. But, they are perfectly situated in the middle of the SL. I’m not sure they would jump at being a geographical outlier as they would in the WRC. UNLESS, the WRC grows to 10 schools adding Aurora, Bedford, or other school nearby Nordonia. At least for other sports, they could split into two divisions of 5 schools based on geography to cut down travel. If the WRC is looking for just an eighth school I think Solon has the need more so than Aurora or Nordonia. At minimum, to cut down having to travel to the other side of Cleveland for league contests.

Interestingly, the WRC has 2 state championships in the last 3 seasons. Not something many conferences can boast.. (Outside of Mentor, has any GCC school ever won their region? And have any of them ever won a State Championship, including Mentor?) Albeit the championships came in D3 in a mostly D2 conference, it’s hard to question the quality of play in this league when compared to the Suburban League. In 2020 Riverside went to OT with undefeated Hudson, and Mayfield beat Nordonia easily in the second round, with Chardon winning the D3 title.. In 2019 Mayfield took Hoban to the last play in the regional championship and Chardon lost by 3 to Aurora in the same round... 2018 Riverside beat Nordonia in the first round with Kenston winning the D3 title... and in 2017 Brush beat Hudson in the first round. Hard to imagine why someone would say the WRC is “worse competition” than the Suburban. I still think Nordonia checks more boxes than anyone. They seem to be too small for the big Suburban, and too big for the small Suburban. And they already have a rivalry with Mayfield. Geographically speaking it wouldn’t be perfect, but Madison would be the longest trip at less than an hour, roughly 20 minutes longer than Wadsworth. They would fit right in the middle of the WRC in enrollment. I don’t think they would be overwhelmed by the league schedule and the league wouldn’t be afraid to add them in.
I was saying the wrc is worse competition than the gcc ,not the suburban league

The wrc wouldn't ease travel for solon. It would make it worse because they'd be obligated to play more conference games across all sports than vs the gcc

So they'd be traveling more to play worse competition and would have less non conference games to play neighboring schools across many sports. And they'd dominate in many sports including boys basketball which is one of the two major revenue sports

That's why this makes zero sense for solon

Most of the GCC has won state titles in some sports. Mentor has won in boys basketball. Strongsville just won in one of their girls sports.

If you are talking just football then no they haven't. But Solon and Brunswick have indeed won their region multiple times and have been state runner up before in D1.

I have thought of Nordonia too. But, they are perfectly situated in the middle of the SL. I’m not sure they would jump at being a geographical outlier as they would in the WRC. UNLESS, the WRC grows to 10 schools adding Aurora, Bedford, or other school nearby Nordonia. At least for other sports, they could split into two divisions of 5 schools based on geography to cut down travel. If the WRC is looking for just an eighth school I think Solon has the need more so than Aurora or Nordonia. At minimum, to cut down having to travel to the other side of Cleveland for league contests.
Again traveling would be worse for solon in the wrc than the gcc. Youd have more league games in the wrc than the gcc. And the travel to many of them is just as bad or worse than them traveling to Brunswick or Medina. This is factual information and I don't know why you can't acknowledge it.

Solon to Medina 45 minutes
Solon to Brunswick 41 minutes
Solon to Strongsville 40 minutes

Solon to Madison 49 minutes
Solon to Riverside 43 minutes
Solon to Chardon 42 minutes

Also Solon is closer to Euclid than it is to South or North.

So I took the 3 longest trips and the wrc is actually a little further.

The competition would be a big step down across many sports as well. Solon would dominate many. Solon girls sports would ravage the wrc. And boys basketball in the wrc is awful too.

And it would take away flexibility to play more neighboring schools across many sports because they'd be obligated to play less conference games in the gcc than the wrc

Last edited:
I was saying the wrc is worse competition than the gcc ,not the suburban league

The wrc wouldn't ease travel for solon. It would make it worse because they'd be obligated to play more conference games across all sports than vs the gcc

So they'd be traveling more to play worse competition and would have less non conference games to play neighboring schools across many sports. And they'd dominate in many sports including boys basketball which is one of the two major revenue sports

That's why this makes zero sense for solon

Most of the GCC has won state titles in some sports. Mentor has won in boys basketball. Strongsville just won in one of their girls sports.

If you are talking just football then no they haven't. But Solon and Brunswick have indeed won their region multiple times and have been state runner up before in D1.
Interesting about Solon and Brunswick. Do you know they years they won their region and were state runner up off hand? I believe Solon won their D2 region in the 90’s now that I think about it.

Interesting about Solon and Brunswick. Do you know they years they won their region and were state runner up off hand? I believe Solon won their D2 region in the 90’s now that I think about it.
Solon won in 2000 in D1. Brunswick won in 95 and 2007

Solon was runner up in 2000 and Brunswick in 95

I find it interesting that anyone would claim Solon (or any other school) would prefer a 5 school league over an ideal 8 school league.

Also, that they would prefer to travel across town for league games instead of play schools on the same side of town (Traffic crossing I-480 compared to commuting to Lake/Geauga county from Solon is not even close).

Also, that Solon would prefer to be the smallest school in a league with much bigger schools when they could be the largest, at least for now.

It’s basically nonsense.

I find it interesting that anyone would claim Solon (or any other school) would prefer a 5 school league over an ideal 8 school league.

Also, that they would prefer to travel across town for league games instead of play schools on the same side of town (Traffic crossing I-480 compared to commuting to Lake/Geauga county from Solon is not even close).

Also, that Solon would prefer to be the smallest school in a league with much bigger schools when they could be the largest, at least for now.

It’s basically nonsense.
So you are ignoring factual drive times and continuing your nonsense ? Very typical. Too bad chardon madison and riverside are further away than Medina Brunswick and Strongsville. And apparently you haven't been at the 271 and 480 split since construction finished. Very smooth now. I should know. I live in Medina.

The wrc is not an ideal league for solon. The travel is even further for the top trips. The competition is way worse. The flexibility to play closer school is many sports is downgraded due to more conference games in the wrc.

Solon competes very well in the gcc which is a far superior overall sport league. Some schools want to play good competition. Maybe they don't want to be with some schools who have 270-300 less boys than them.

But yes continue to ignore this.

And it's a 6 school league with Solon vs a 7 school league right now. Don't know how you get 5 vs 8. More fuzzy math from you

Last edited:

That is unprecedented and completely out of the box but it works. Mentor doesn’t belong in football (or even boys basketball), but the rest of the sports work. Kirtland in the WRC would be a lot of fun. They wouldn’t win the league, but they would finish in the top half, which is amazing considering the enrollment discrepancy.

Division 5 school being Kirtland. The D5 state champs and a school that prolly would have a chance to beat anyone in the state.
Agree with this. 2 years ago Mayfield took Hoban to the brink in the playoffs...while I can’t confirm I have heard Kirtland often scrimmages Mayfield prior to the season and 2 years ago demolished them in the scrimmage with a score of 40+ - 0...again can’t confirm but I have heard

The WRC will have to go outside of their geographic, size, competitive, or public school box to find a likely replacement.

Geographic outliers like Aurora, private schools (US or Gilmour), size and/or competitive outliers (Mentor/Kirtland) are interesting to talk about, but not sure how likely any of those are. Aurora is close to Kenston, but that's it. They are probably pretty content in the SL. I think US or Gilmour could be a decent choice. Gilmour has the edge since they offer girl sports too.

The bigger CVC schools that are in the general location of some WRC schools (Geneva, Perry, Harvey, West G) would all likely be welcomed by the WRC. But I doubt any of those schools want to be the small fish in a bigger pond.

My guess is the WRC stays at 7 teams for a while.

Solon's three grade boys enrollment is 636 (girls are surprisingly 566...an 11% drop). Here is the percentage difference in enrollment when comparing Solon to the WRC and GCC. They are in between both leagues for enrollment. Close enough to Mayfield, Riverside, North, Euclid, and Strongsville. A 33%+ difference for the rest of the schools.

Chardon: 342 (Solon is 46% higher)
Kenston: 364 (42%)
Madison: 382 (40%)
South: 423 (33%)
North: 493 (22%)
Mayfield: 526 (17%)
Riverside: 555 (12%)

Mentor: 937 (47% higher than Solon)
Brunswick: 915 (44%)
Medina: 861 (35%)
Strongsville: 748 (17%)
Euclid: 673 (7%)

Many of the football programs play by the motto anyone, anywhere. For basketball, if they were fine with Brush running the table, they wouldn’t have an issue with another school IF they can achieve it. I would say Solon is the most likely for the WRC.

This comment seems to be one of the major points of contention. This is not true. Or at least, a huge exaggeration. Anyone, anywhere? I don't take issue with the WRC teams schedule. I think they mostly schedule pretty smart. But never have I seen evidence that they schedule "anyone, anywhere."

This comment seems to be one of the major points of contention. This is not true. Or at least, a huge exaggeration. Anyone, anywhere? I don't take issue with the WRC teams schedule. I think they mostly schedule pretty smart. But never have I seen evidence that they schedule "anyone, anywhere."
No worries. I don’t follow non-WRC schools as closely either. Are you familiar with the WRC scrimmage schedules? Did you know Riverside traveled to Cincinnati last fall to play an unknown set up in a 24 hour period? The smallest schools in the WRC (Kenston and Chardon) would not turn down playing Solon.

No worries. I don’t follow non-WRC schools as closely either. Are you familiar with the WRC scrimmage schedules? Did you know Riverside traveled to Cincinnati last fall to play an unknown set up in a 24 hour period? The smallest schools in the WRC (Kenston and Chardon) would not turn down playing Solon.
You're really comparing scrimmages to real games now ? Come on...

Mentor can play kenston , chardon and Massillon jackson in scrimmages. None of them will play us in a regular season game. It's a huge difference

The wrc is definitely not a take on all comers conference. Be real

Using the argument of scrimmages doesn’t hold up. No way.

I do agree that I could see Chardon or Kenston being willing to schedule Solon now. Kenston was in the old WRC with Solon back when the Comets were actually really good. And they have scheduled non-conference with Solon since leaving the league. Mayfield wouldn’t have issue with Solon in football. South did schedule the Comets for a two game series in 2013/14.

Madison and North would not want Solon in the league. Especially not Madison. You’re the Riverside guy, what would they say?

But are all of these schools willing to take a risk that Solon will stay down?