Austintown Fitch 2023

I saw Canfield play Fitch last time and also was at the game in 2003, and I am afraid the result would not be very favorable for Canfield if they played this year. I think Canfield would be better off with a Bye than playing Fitch. Although I am still frustrated about not playing South Range, that was pretty stupid in my opinion.

I saw Canfield play Fitch last time and also was at the game in 2003, and I am afraid the result would not be very favorable for Canfield if they played this year. I think Canfield would be better off with a Bye than playing Fitch. Although I am still frustrated about not playing South Range, that was pretty stupid in my opinion.
Agree, doesn’t make much sense dropping South Range and picking up Mansfield

Only reason that I can think of is that they were scared of losing and having kids jump ship to SR
Canfield already loses kids to South Range as it is, South Range has a great new school and facilities, Canfield has all old outdated buildings and facilities etc. I was just talking to someone the other day that lives on or off of SR 46 in Canfield school district but close to the border, and they send their kids to SR for a variety of reasons.

Canfield already loses kids to South Range as it is, South Range has a great new school and facilities, Canfield has all old outdated buildings and facilities etc. I was just talking to someone the other day that lives on or off of SR 46 in Canfield school district but close to the border, and they send their kids to SR for a variety of reasons.
Figured as much

The GCC added Cleveland Heights and Shaker Heights and Solon is playing one final year before leaving for the Suburban League, so the GCC is back up to 8 members this year.
Gotcha. Makes sense for not being able to keep Fitch on the schedule for this year.

Gotcha. Makes sense for not being able to keep Fitch on the schedule for this year.
When they signed, the GCC was at six so all the league members had two open dates late in the year. Cleveland Heights and Shaker Heights got out of the LEL a year earlier than expected and Solon was forced to stay in the league for an additional year, so all of those open dates the GCC schools had vanished.

That’s not surprising

Good thing Canfield has a decent turnout for kids wanting to play sports. If the ones who are studs leave, y’all have kids waiting in the back to get a shot. From what I’ve seen/heard it’s brutal out there.

Canfield doesn't seem to be losing too many kids to SR. They are pretty good in everything. They remind me of how we were in the 80's.

Good thing Canfield has a decent turnout for kids wanting to play sports. If the ones who are studs leave, y’all have kids waiting in the back to get a shot. From what I’ve seen/heard it’s brutal out there.
Canfield has been losing kids to other schools since at least the 90's. I mean I had friends/classmates (or their kids) go to WRA, US, GA, SR, Mooney, Ursuline, WR, Girard, et al.

Canfield has been losing kids to other schools since at least the 90's. I mean I had friends/classmates (or their kids) go to WRA, US, GA, SR, Mooney, Ursuline, WR, Girard, et al.
I believe it, the kids my son played aau with are from Canfield. One dad was telling me they were going to switch to south range, the other was telling me how hard it is if you aren’t from there or don’t have a name in the city when it comes to extracurricular activities. Even with people leaving you guys still have talent waiting in the wings that’s all I’m saying.

I believe it, the kids my son played aau with are from Canfield. One dad was telling me they were going to switch to south range, the other was telling me how hard it is if you aren’t from there or don’t have a name in the city when it comes to extracurricular activities. Even with people leaving you guys still have talent waiting in the wings that’s all I’m saying.

I know this is a Fitch thread, but Canfield hasn't lost 1 kid that would contribute to SR. Every school in the area loses kids to Mooney & Ursuline. I know Canfield has 1 kid who played hoops & football going to Ursuline. I know Poland's JH QB who plays basketball & their top baseball kid is going to Mooney and their top Basketball kid who also plays football is going to Ursuline. Boardman has top kids going to Ursuline but none of the top kids from any of these schools are going to SR. A lot parents complain and a lot want all kids to play and get time however it's JH the tops kids should play, if that dad's son you play AAU with is going to SR it's because his son isn't good enough to start and he's upset. It's clear cut in Canfield who the top kids are, their 7th, 8th & 9th classes the past 3 yrs lost 1 game and tied 1 game. Poland, Boardman, Austintown are the same they may lose a kid but not losing top kids to SR. As for Canfield-SR maybe the game should be played and may have been a good game last season or this season, playing a div 5 school doesn't benefit them and coming down the road that's a very lopsided game. Canfield-Fitch game, I have no clue why that game doesn't happen, or why they schedule Mansfield instead other than the time of season the games available. Canfield plays Fitch in youth and scrimmages them in JH.

@Mitchoops I had two boys in my Sunday school class last year that lived in Canfield but went to South Range. The one played football at one point, but switched to other minor sports like swimming and wrestling. The other one played golf and wrestling I think.
And the thing you have to understand is at Canfield the best kids don't always play or get a chance to play that is the facts. Oftentimes the connections or who you know plays a role or how much you donate determines who plays. There is a lot of politics when it comes to Canfield and that is not just for their athletic program.
As for the reason Canfield doesn't play Fitch , it is likely because most years Fitch would easily handle Canfield. Fitch was very good last year and will be very good this year. Canfield won the State Championship in D-III last year and couldn't manage to beat Chaney let alone Fitch.

What is difficult to understand is there is a big talent disparity between the top D-I and D-II programs and the top programs from D-III and lower. The disparity between D-II and D-III is many times greater than that of D-III and D-IV or even D-III and D-V and some years even the top couple teams in D-VI and D-VII (ie Marion Local, Kirtland, JFK, other MAC schools).

South Range would have a better chance of beating Canfield than Canfield would have of beating Fitch.

Last edited:
@Mitchoops I had two boys in my Sunday school class last year that lived in Canfield but went to South Range. The one played football at one point, but switched to other minor sports like swimming and wrestling. The other one played golf and wrestling I think.
And the thing you have to understand is at Canfield the best kids don't always play or get a chance to play that is the facts. Oftentimes the connections or who you know plays a role or how much you donate determines who plays. There is a lot of politics when it comes to Canfield and that is not just for their athletic program.
As for the reason Canfield doesn't play Fitch , it is likely because most years Fitch would easily handle Canfield. Fitch was very good last year and will be very good this year. Canfield won the State Championship in D-III last year and couldn't manage to beat Chaney let alone Fitch.

What is difficult to understand is there is a big talent disparity between the top D-I and D-II programs and the top programs from D-III and lower. The disparity between D-II and D-III is many times greater than that of D-III and D-IV or even D-III and D-V and some years even the top couple teams in D-VI and D-VII (ie Marion Local, Kirtland, JFK, other MAC schools).

South Range would have a better chance of beating Canfield than Canfield would have of beating Fitch.

You can have your beliefs on this but I have a much different closer view. Please check your inbox.

Canfield has a coach who is a coward and won't play anyone in area who is good. Heck they travel 2 hours for a Game instead of playing a2 year deal with a team 5 minutes away and a 25k gate.
SR did take something from Fitch, a good coach.

Canfield has a coach who is a coward and won't play anyone in area who is good. Heck they travel 2 hours for a Game instead of playing a2 year deal with a team 5 minutes away and a 25k gate.
State Championship winning coach. Fixed it for you. The bottom line is Fitch folks are mad because they got curb stomped the last time out and want a shot at redemption which Pav won't give them. The kids, fans and some of the coaching staff ran their mouth incessantly before that game. Their salty tears will sustain the Canfield faithful for years to come.

State Championship winning coach. Fixed it for you. The bottom line is Fitch folks are mad because they got curb stomped the last time out and want a shot at redemption which Pav won't give them. The kids, fans and some of the coaching staff ran their mouth incessantly before that game. Their salty tears will sustain the Canfield faithful for years to come.
To be fair, he only wants to play them when he knows that he’ll win

That can't be the case he was the coach when Canfield played Fitch in 2003 and we got the ball pounded down our throats and Fitch set several rushing/offensive records that stand to this day.

I think it is more accurate to say that he felt he had the horses at the time to run with them. Even the biggest Canfield homer wouldn't have dreamed of hanging 45 on them.
In 2003 Canfield scored 40 against Fitch all be it by dumb luck (Jamie McNally threw a bunch of hail mary passes, many of the balls were 50/50 at best). Fitch scored 7 TDs against us and we couldn't stop them even once, they just pounded the rock right down our throats and we had no answer all night even after we walked up both safeties in run support to put 9 men in the box.

Well this is somewhat of a skewed thought. In 2021 when Canfield beat Fitch the game turned into a route and snowballed on Fitch. Maybe the weeks leading up to that it appeared Canfield had a good chance to win that game, but a lot of that was due to Fitch's injuries. Would Canfield have won that game if Fitch was 100% healthy possibly, but not by the score they did. Going into the 2021 season, I think a lot of people looked forward to the game, but I don't believe Canfield was favored to win that game. Fitch had guys out all over the field, that can happen any year to any team.

Well this is somewhat of a skewed thought. In 2021 when Canfield beat Fitch the game turned into a route and snowballed on Fitch. Maybe the weeks leading up to that it appeared Canfield had a good chance to win that game, but a lot of that was due to Fitch's injuries. Would Canfield have won that game if Fitch was 100% healthy possibly, but not by the score they did. Going into the 2021 season, I think a lot of people looked forward to the game, but I don't believe Canfield was favored to win that game. Fitch had guys out all over the field, that can happen any year to any team.
Spot on

Who is this coach they "took:?

Canfield has one of the best (if not the best) overall athletic programs in the 3 county area. Seems odd that "family politics" and "favortism" are part of the recipe.

I don't get the attacks on Canfield. If they are losing kids, then it's a good thing because they are losing kids and winning state championship going away. Back to Fitch. Does anyone know how we are looking on the o-line this year?

I don't get the attacks on Canfield. If they are losing kids, then it's a good thing because they are losing kids and winning state championship going away. Back to Fitch. Does anyone know how we are looking on the o-line this year?
Fitch will average 6'4 300 lbs. across the o-line, yet be quick as cats! :banana: