Ask The Ump?

AllSports12

With all that said, could interference be called on the first base coach? He left the box and then returned to it in the middle of the play? Would it change the call if he was actually hit by the ball. Would it matter if the coach did it on purpose?
Case Book Play 3.2.3 SITUATION:
The third base coach is accidently hit by a thrown ball when standing in (a) the coach's box, (b) foul territory, (c) fair territory...

Ruling:
There is no penalty in (a) and (b), and the ball remains live. In (c), it is automatic interference.

Your play would be covered under "(b)" here.

Intent is the key. If, in the umpire's judgment, the coach positioned himself intentionally between F3 and home plate, then interference has occurred. The ball is dead, R1 (runner from second) is declared out and all runners return to the base last occupied at the time of interference.

If the umpire judges no intent, then the ball remains live, whether or not the throw is made and whether or not the ball touches the coach if the throw is made.

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Thanks!

It was a series of events and watching the game back on video several times for me to realize that it was intentional. I would never expect an umpire to pick up on that in the split second that it happened. Just shocked that any coach out there thinks this is a good way to mentor kids.

CoachHoversten

I’m late to the party; but did the coach move before the ball came to rest? Meaning, if the ball was still rolling/bounding, it would be nearly impossible to get that for interference as how would the coach know where he will best be in position to block a throw home. If the ball comes to a stop and he moves in between it and home, im getting that all day.

And even in one man game, eyes are on that play bc ball is threatening out of play boundary so has to be watched.

AllSports12

I’m late to the party; but did the coach move before the ball came to rest? Meaning, if the ball was still rolling/bounding, it would be nearly impossible to get that for interference as how would the coach know where he will best be in position to block a throw home. If the ball comes to a stop and he moves in between it and home, im getting that all day.

And even in one man game, eyes are on that play bc ball is threatening out of play boundary so has to be watched.
Again, as the rule states and the case book indicates, merely being out of the coaching box and getting hit by a throw is not in and of itself interference.

The act must be judged as intentional for interference to occur.

CoachHoversten

Again, as the rule states and the case book indicates, merely being out of the coaching box and getting hit by a throw is not in and of itself interference.

The act must be judged as intentional for interference to occur.
?? I know...that’s why I said if the ball came to a stop and he moved into the path between ball and home after it stopped, but just merely being in the way by itself would be nearly impossible to deem intentional

Yappi

Go Buckeyes

It was a fast play. Ball did come to a stop as he walked back into the box. First base picked up the ball and was ready to fire it home but had to try to stop their motion to avoid hitting the coach.

No way would I expect the umpire to make the call. It was just something that I came to the conclusion about after watching the game on replay. Too many coincidences for one team. I also know it is one of those you had to see it plays to understand it was intentional. When the coach backs up 15 feet quickly to the fence and returns right in the line between the 1st baseman and home.

Then I got to wondering at what point it is coach's interference. Thanks to AllSports12's ruling from up above, now I know. As a first base coach, I also know now to never step into fair territory, which I may have done in the past on some awkward plays.