Are you a true West Sider??

Sorry my friend. You do not have a clue. I am very involved in the West Price Hill Community and in both of the West Price Hill parishes (as well as those in East Price Hill). I know of at least three section 8 properties on Carnation Avenue and at least four African-American families, one of which lives within three doors of Don and Cyndy's house. By the way, there was a long time gay couple who lived in the house at the southwest corner of Carnation and Hermosa until Dave, the African-American half of this mixed-race gay couple, died. They were very involved in their streets' social fabric and very well loved by their neighbors and their fellow parishioners at St. William. So, add in the good Catholic Hispanics in the neighborhood, most of whom send their kids to St. William or St. Teresa for school and you will find that West Price Hill has become a very diverse neighborhood. I am sure that you would find all of that objectionable.
Don't find any of that objectionable. Kinda weird that you keep track of who isn't white and straight though. Ya know, there's some black and mixed race couples in my neighborhood, too. There's some Muslim families that live back here as well. Must mean I live in a "culturally rich" and "diverse" neighborhood. Get off your high horse. My sister is gay, too, for whatever that's worth. Hope I can score some more "diversity" points in your weird scorebook.

Scanned through this quickly so maybe I missed something, however I think that area of Bridgetown or Green Township, Moonridge and the streets off it are in for a similar course that much of Delhi East of Anderson Ferry is headed towards. They are all on the course to be very low income housing due to the fact those houses are not appealing at all to homebuyers. Most are a bit tight for a family of 4, they are also all built nearly identical and not appealing to the eye. I have always thought that is the distinct advantage Price Hill has over these neighborhoods. Price Hill and its old homes are being gobbled up right now and remodeled because there is a high demand for them. People like the architecture of Price Hill much more than they do the houses in Bridgetown your speaking of.
The architecture is no doubt way nicer and more appealing, but it's all being remodeled and priced very high. Bridgetown, Delhi, etc. are much more affordable for first time homeowners.

Don't find any of that objectionable. Kinda weird that you keep track of who isn't white and straight though. Ya know, there's some black and mixed race couples in my neighborhood, too. There's some Muslim families that live back here as well. Must mean I live in a "culturally rich" and "diverse" neighborhood. Get off your high horse. My sister is gay, too, for whatever that's worth. Hope I can score some more "diversity" points in your weird scorebook.
It is not that I "keep track of". I know these people and the neighborhood. These folks go to church, send their kids to school and participate in the West Price Hill Community Council. So, it is only natural that I would know them and something about their lives. I do not live on Carnation, but know at least half of the people personally who do. With the reduction in Mass times and the combination of St. William and St. Teresa's parish administration, it is only natural that I would know people throughout West Price Hill pretty well.

Here's the thing, running down West Price Hill, Delhi and parts of Green Township, locations in which a lot of good people live and areas from which Elder/Seton should draw, insulting the people and claiming a superiority of the nearly all white and affluent neighborhoods further west, supports the opinion that Elder is hostile to minority and financially challenged families. I do not believe that is true, however, it is a perception that has been made and which persists despite efforts to combat it. Again, calling people or neighborhoods "", and declaring neighborhoods as "bad", exaggerating criminal activity or identifying threats that do not exist, contribute to this perception. That is why many families, within eyesight of Elder and Seton send their kids elsewhere. That is why the family that owns Veracruz Mexican Grill (certainly a successful and upper middleclass family) and who attend Holy Family, sent their lids to DePaul Christo Rey or that two upper middleclass biracial families from St. William sent their boys to LaSalle. That is why LaSalle is able to attract much of the public school kids that have improved their football and basketball team.

Some of the comments in this thread of late can be seen as hard bigotry and/or soft racism. I don't believe it was intended as such, but, it may just be so. Regardless as to the intent or the sentiment of those making the comments, it does tend to support the perception that Elder has fought against. Do I defend my neighborhood from false perception and down right lies? Yes. Am I a booster for all established westside communities? Yes. Do I do so with facts of which I educate myself? Yes. Do I fight the perception that Elder is predominantly snobbish, bigoted and possibly racist white people? Yes I do and I wish you would make doing so a bit easier by not making the ill informed, snobbish and insulting comments on a public discussion board like .those recently made.

looks like this thread is going to get flushed........a shame a couple people can ruin a thread that has been around for so long.

jtk
()

It is not that I "keep track of". I know these people and the neighborhood. These folks go to church, send their kids to school and participate in the West Price Hill Community Council. So, it is only natural that I would know them and something about their lives. I do not live on Carnation, but know at least half of the people personally who do. With the reduction in Mass times and the combination of St. William and St. Teresa's parish administration, it is only natural that I would know people throughout West Price Hill pretty well.

Here's the thing, running down West Price Hill, Delhi and parts of Green Township, locations in which a lot of good people live and areas from which Elder/Seton should draw, insulting the people and claiming a superiority of the nearly all white and affluent neighborhoods further west, supports the opinion that Elder is hostile to minority and financially challenged families. I do not believe that is true, however, it is a perception that has been made and which persists despite efforts to combat it. Again, calling people or neighborhoods "", and declaring neighborhoods as "bad", exaggerating criminal activity or identifying threats that do not exist, contribute to this perception. That is why many families, within eyesight of Elder and Seton send their kids elsewhere. That is why the family that owns Veracruz Mexican Grill (certainly a successful and upper middleclass family) and who attend Holy Family, sent their lids to DePaul Christo Rey or that two upper middleclass biracial families from St. William sent their boys to LaSalle. That is why LaSalle is able to attract much of the public school kids that have improved their football and basketball team.

Some of the comments in this thread of late can be seen as hard bigotry and/or soft racism. I don't believe it was intended as such, but, it may just be so. Regardless as to the intent or the sentiment of those making the comments, it does tend to support the perception that Elder has fought against. Do I defend my neighborhood from false perception and down right lies? Yes. Am I a booster for all established westside communities? Yes. Do I do so with facts of which I educate myself? Yes. Do I fight the perception that Elder is predominantly snobbish, bigoted and possibly racist white people? Yes I do and I wish you would make doing so a bit easier by not making the ill informed, snobbish and insulting comments on a public discussion board like .those recently made.

I don’t claim to be nearly as invested as Mojo, but I think what he says about perception is very important.

They people most often advocating for diversity are often the ones who can’t realize how non inclusive their language can be. He’s right on point with the way most Elder people talk about this type of thing.

Yeah, don't wanna ruin this thread even further because I very much enjoy the usual content of it and it provides good info on westside development/happenings, but, to defend myself, not sure where I ever made snobbish, insulting comments? I never called any of them . That was someone else. I said that we were hoping to possibly move within 5 years and you went off on a tangent and insulted me/us, inferring that we're racists and bigoted, for no reason other than we want to live in a neighborhood somewhere, anywhere that poses less of a risk to our property and/or belongings being damaged/stolen. There will always be risk, but we'd like to mitigate that risk within reason. We also want a bigger yard for our kids to have space to run around and play in as they get older. More urban areas really aren't great for that. I'm sorry that we have different views on what we want for our families, but you could approach it with more respect or simply understand that different people want different things.

looks like this thread is going to get flushed........a shame a couple people can ruin a thread that has been around for so long.

jtk
()
Mojo attacked me unprovoked, so going to defend myself. But I agree; will stop the back and forth for the sake of cleaning this up and getting back to what it was.

On another subject: you may or may not have heard about the gasoline leak from the gas station located at W8th and Pedretti on Christmas Day. My understanding is that gas leaked from the underground tank and went into the combined sewers below Carnation West of Pedretti and on down the hill to Cappel and elsewhere. There is concern that soil may have been contaminated on some of the properties and some residents had been breathing fumes for days before anything affective was done by City or MSD workers.

It would appear that the City was ill prepared for handling such a HAZMAT incident.

This gas station was recently sold by Doug Pessler to the current owners just months before he died this past August.

MSD is running a Q & A meeting by ZOOM tonight to answer questions.

Muddy Creek-Devil's Backbone between Quail Run and Ebenezer will be closed through September. Road signs went up today. This sucks azź and I'm not even sure this will totally fix the raw sewage problem. I think that leak is up closer to Sidney.

muddy-creek-closure-2021.png

On another subject: you may or may not have heard about the gasoline leak from the gas station located at W8th and Pedretti on Christmas Day. My understanding is that gas leaked from the underground tank and went into the combined sewers below Carnation West of Pedretti and on down the hill to Cappel and elsewhere. There is concern that soil may have been contaminated on some of the properties and some residents had been breathing fumes for days before anything affective was done by City or MSD workers.

It would appear that the City was ill prepared for handling such a HAZMAT incident.

This gas station was recently sold by Doug Pessler to the current owners just months before he died this past August.

MSD is running a Q & A meeting by ZOOM tonight to answer questions.

Mayor Cranleys parents still live in the area?

Yes. At the end of Carnation. I am sure they were impacted. Still, it took three days before they started flashing the sewers.

Maybe they will lead attempt to sue the City and that business? Not really surprised the City literally does nothing fast. MSD involved so County has a role also?

Right. Feel sorry for those residents. The City County fight always makes things take way longer than they should
It wasn't just MSD. I believe CFD to be one of the best fire departments in the country, but they were the initial incident command and they apparently had little knowledge as to what to do when they responded on Christmas. I guess they tried to get MSD involved but who knows if anyone answered the phone on Christmas. Anyway, as I said before it was days before they started flushing the sewers.

Sorry my friend. You do not have a clue. I am very involved in the West Price Hill Community and in both of the West Price Hill parishes (as well as those in East Price Hill). I know of at least three section 8 properties on Carnation Avenue and at least four African-American families, one of which lives within three doors of Don and Cyndy's house. By the way, there was a long time gay couple who lived in the house at the southwest corner of Carnation and Hermosa until Dave, the African-American half of this mixed-race gay couple, died. They were very involved in their streets' social fabric and very well loved by their neighbors and their fellow parishioners at St. William. So, add in the good Catholic Hispanics in the neighborhood, most of whom send their kids to St. William or St. Teresa for school and you will find that West Price Hill has become a very diverse neighborhood. I am sure that you would find all of that objectionable.

I used to post on here quite a bit back when my kids went to Elder, but now i just browse the threads, but you brought me out of retirement with your comments. This will be my only post on this matter, and all i have to say is you're the most arrogant D-bag I've come across on this board! Check your Ego at the door!!!

I used to post on here quite a bit back when my kids went to Elder, but now i just browse the threads, but you brought me out of retirement with your comments. This will be my only post on this matter, and all i have to say is you're the most arrogant D-bag I've come across on this board! Check your Ego at the door!!!
Wow. I would love to know what you find objectionable and to what you disagree. I am sure that you are one of those grads that give Elder a bad name. Too bad really, as I am sure the great majority of Elder grads are the polar opposite to the perception that many Cincinnatians have about us. It only takes a few bad apples (or ignorant ones).

Last edited:
Two new restaurants are coming to Glenway Ave and Anderson Ferry where Happy's Pizza used to be. Based on a photo posted to Nextdoor, the building will be home to Louis' Cajun Seafood and Fusabowl.

https://nextdoor.com/p/s6RbMJ44BQ_4?utm_source=share

Back in April 2019, it was supposed to become something call Savvy's Sliders according to what Google Maps Streetview captured: https://goo.gl/maps/3Wk5NquyEZMTeMBj7

Attachments

• 980ef57ae9f94f3885f10303eec77c4b.jpeg
    980ef57ae9f94f3885f10303eec77c4b.jpeg
    172.8 KB · Views: 25
Two new restaurants are coming to Glenway Ave and Anderson Ferry where Happy's Pizza used to be. Based on a photo posted to Nextdoor, the building will be home to Louis' Cajun Seafood and Fusabowl.

https://nextdoor.com/p/s6RbMJ44BQ_4?utm_source=share

Back in April 2019, it was supposed to become something call Savvy's Sliders according to what Google Maps Streetview captured: https://goo.gl/maps/3Wk5NquyEZMTeMBj7
Those both sound solid! I love cajun food especially. I hope they are successful as that is an awkward location that is difficult to get in and out of. Ill be checking it out once they open.

Those both sound solid! I love cajun food especially. I hope they are successful as that is an awkward location that is difficult to get in and out of. Ill be checking it out once they open.
I too love cajun/creole/New Orleans cooking and hope it does well. The location is kind of hidden when heading East to West but is not terribly hard to get into or out of. The parking lot is tiny and a bit awkward.

Does anyone know the history of that disconnected part of Anderson Ferry Rd? Were they connected prior to the construction of the railyard?

Does anyone know the history of that disconnected part of Anderson Ferry Rd? Were they connected prior to the construction of the railyard?
Anderson Ferry is one of the oldest roads in Hamilton County. Prior to the railroad yard being established at Crookshank and Glenway, down in the valley where Glenway Crossing Shopping Center now lies and behind where Swallens used to sit, it did connect all the way to Glenway. They could not cross or bridge above the rail yard so that created the break in the route we see now. Some of our RR enthusiasts on here may know when the rail yard was created. My hunch is that it was around the 1870-1880s.

Not sure how accurate my info is, but I was told years ago by my grandmother that they were connected originally.

The west side is sure unique with it's disconnected roads, adds to the confusion for people not familiar with the area.

Anderson Ferry is one of the oldest roads in Hamilton County. Prior to the railroad yard being established at Crookshank and Glenway, down in the valley where Glenway Crossing Shopping Center now lies and behind where Swallens used to sit, it did connect all the way to Glenway. They could not cross or bridge above the rail yard so that created the break in the route we see now. Some of our RR enthusiasts on here may know when the rail yard was created. My hunch is that it was around the 1870-1880s.
I was always curious about how and why Muddy Creek and Devils Backbone were "interrupted". A friend of mine grew up in that area and his older relatives remember their families talking about the demise. I eventually found some roadmaps at the Cincinnati Historical Society website that showed those two in their original form. I was also curious about a little section of Hearne Rd. down on Wessleman and the maps show it connected to the part up off Rybolt.

Here's one from 1919:

Here is the awesome 1919 map of Hamilton County that yj_runfan posted back in July. It shows an uninterrupted Anderson Ferry Rd (now Glenmore) continuing on all the way to Harrison Ave in Cheviot. If you look at present day maps, essentially nothing has changed along Anderson Ferry besides the break where the shopping center is now. It's interesting to think about how different that area would be now if Anderson Ferry had never been split up.

Several more maps here:

So Anderson Ferry Rd has basically followed the same course since at least 1835. The actual Anderson Ferry was established in 1817. Just awesome.

Another cool thing is that Bridgetown Rd was the main thoroughfare to get to Louisville back then, and not River Rd. Probably due to constant flooding along the river since dams were not in place yet.

Several more maps here:

So Anderson Ferry Rd has basically followed the same course since at least 1835. The actual Anderson Ferry was established in 1817. Just awesome.

Another cool thing is that Bridgetown Rd was the main thoroughfare to get to Louisville back then, and not River Rd. Probably due to constant flooding along the river since dams were not in place yet.
And originally, Glenway was known as Warsaw-Bridgetown Road and ran through the village of Warsaw in what is now East Price Hill. The course of Glenway has changed little in the nearly two centuries of its existence.

And originally, Glenway was known as Warsaw-Bridgetown Road and ran through the village of Warsaw in what is now East Price Hill. The course of Glenway has changed little in the nearly two centuries of its existence.

Know why name was originally Warsaw?

Here is the awesome 1919 map of Hamilton County that yj_runfan posted back in July. It shows an uninterrupted Anderson Ferry Rd (now Glenmore) continuing on all the way to Harrison Ave in Cheviot. If you look at present day maps, essentially nothing has changed along Anderson Ferry besides the break where the shopping center is now. It's interesting to think about how different that area would be now if Anderson Ferry had never been split up.

Too cool. I love the old documents and maps.

One thing that sucks for me is being color blind, I can't really decipher which roads are which color. I guess I will have to bug the wife later tonight when I get home from work

Know why name was originally Warsaw?
I don't know. It may relate to one of the early residents, but I have never heard of a Polish name as it relates to the earliest settlers. I guess it is lost in time. There are debates over how Bridgetown got named, as it predates the big RR bridge over Glenway near Bridgetown Road.

Other village names from the Westside: South Bend was at the location of the ferry. This was flooded out and was abandoned by 1800. Monterey, at the corner of Anderson Ferry and Rapid Run, where the old Allen homestead housed the Monterey Tavern until the 1980's. Covedale, we all know where that is and the fact that it was annexed by the City and unlike others that had been annexed, the City decided to erase it from the maps. Westwood, which still exists as an official neighborhood after being annexed to the City. Dunlap, which was changed to Coleraine and then Colerain. This was the site of a frontier blockhouse/fort right on the Great Miami River. Delhi was also a village in the Saylor Park area, which is why Delhi Township was called Delhi Hills for most of my childhood. Home City was also a village in the Saylor Park area and was the location of the ice cutting pond where Queen City Ice got its start. Industry was the third village that now makes up Saylor Park. All three were annexed by the CIty and, like Covedale, their identity were lost. Mack and Bridgetown are still referred to in Green Township, but no living person really knows why they have the names they do.

I am sure there were others that I do not know about.

Here is an interesting article on taverns of Delhi Township on the second page of this Delhi Historical Society newsletter: https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...922d7af03cdd63/1521763948128/2013_02_News.pdf

Last edited: