All 2023 playoff games will be on Fridays

I don't like it but I guess they fear the college football games are hurting attendance/viewership.

I seem to remember the state lost a lot of money the last time they tried this. What makes them think it will work again? I don't like it.
That’s my big question as well. Maybe the extra round will make it profitable this time by sheer volume?

a dumb question: in the case of Bellaire, Gilmour Academy, and other schools with oddball field situations pertaining to lights, is the OHSAA going to hardball them into finding an alternate site to play at (e.g. the team lower in the regional placement) so it’s in lockstep with everyone playing on Friday night?

I can’t recall the last season specifically that OHSAA had all divisions on Friday, hence why I’m asking instead of digging through Eitel aimlessly.

So to make my quick point. For example Canfield and South Range from last year can not support each others communities? I thought such things would drive up ticket sales? All Friday night……. Whatever lol

a dumb question: in the case of Bellaire, Gilmour Academy, and other schools with oddball field situations pertaining to lights, is the OHSAA going to hardball them into finding an alternate site to play at (e.g. the team lower in the regional placement) so it’s in lockstep with everyone playing on Friday night?

I can’t recall the last season specifically that OHSAA had all divisions on Friday, hence why I’m asking instead of digging through Eitel aimlessly.
The Saturday afternoon games can still be played. As they never really adhered to any timeslot of Friday Night or Saturday night. They're only as long as the lightless field was hosting a game.
That’s my big question as well. Maybe the extra round will make it profitable this time by sheer volume?
No matter 'how much extra' you get from this, you still curtail any single person that would go to a game each night from going to more than one.

Gilmour Academy added lights last season. But I get your point.

From 112 first round games on Friday, the last time this was done, to 224 games on one night. 🥴
Will there even be enough satisfactory officiating crews for this? Also, here's my question... who does this move benefit? It's a wash for the players and parents; it's not like the coaches have a preparation advantage considering that generally, every game in a particular division is on the same night; officials lose out on the opportunity to work multiple games; die-hard fans lose out on seeing multiple games, which means less money in OHSAA's pocket, etc. I don't see who wins here.

2017 was the last time all divisions had playoff games on Friday Nights
The only other time this was done was in 1973; the second year of the playoffs, and only a grand total of 12 teams made it.

Will there even be enough satisfactory officiating crews for this? Also, here's my question... who does this move benefit? It's a wash for the players and parents; it's not like the coaches have a preparation advantage considering that generally, every game in a particular division is on the same night; officials lose out on the opportunity to work multiple games; die-hard fans lose out on seeing multiple games, which means less money in OHSAA's pocket, etc. I don't see who wins here.

The only other time this was done was in 1973; the second year of the playoffs, and only a grand total of 12 teams made it.
Yes that was my point when I set the example of Canfield and South Range. Two neighboring communities that supported one another. It’s all over the state. Mentor Kirtland and Lake Catholic and Chardon same thing. The state obviously wants to lose money which makes non sense! SMH!

Agreed. It really is a big time L for everyone.

The Saturday afternoon games can still be played. As they never really adhered to any timeslot of Friday Night or Saturday night. They're only as long as the lightless field was hosting a game.

No matter 'how much extra' you get from this, you still curtail any single person that would go to a game each night from going to more than one.
Yup. Bad move if you ask me.

So to make my quick point. For example Canfield and South Range from last year can not support each others communities? I thought such things would drive up ticket sales? All Friday night……. Whatever lol
Considering they played on the same night anyways last year, no, neither supported each other then either.

Ironic how many people are criticizing the move because it will lose money. ;)

They are also forgetting that it's getting tougher and tougher to get venues to host on Satrudays.
Did the OHSAA address this when it released the info about Friday-only games?

They have been talking for years about how it's becoming increasingly more difficult to secure venues.
That was my first thought. This will just make it harder for the best traditional playoff venues to host games. More schools that don't want to/aren't any good at hosting are going to have to fill in.

If only there was something the OHSAA could do to incentivize schools to host.... $$

Not sure why that matters.

They have been talking for years about how it's becoming increasingly more difficult to secure venues.
Because they’re dealing with the public. When you have the chance to explain the reasons for a change that could be unpopular, you do it.

This problem existed before they were forced to tighten the purse strings. (in other words, before covid)
I'm not doubting that, but judging by the OHSAA's last set of financial statements they have the ability to reverse the trend very easily and they refuse to.