All 2023 playoff games will be on Fridays

The football players will enjoy playing on Fridays and not having to wait around on Saturdays for 7 o'clock.

I disagree, I don't have a rooting interest for either SV-SM or Dover, but the officiating was not the best and may have potentially altered the outcome of the game, as it was Dover barely won despite getting a few favorable calls.
Then go get your officiating license if your judgment is better. Don't be part of the problem(people complaining about officiating), be part of the solution.

Then go get your officiating license if your judgment is better. Don't be part of the problem(people complaining about officiating), be part of the solution.
I used to do high school soccer games back in the old days as well as various travel and recreational leagues. I also have umpired little league baseball games a long time ago.
Right now though I work 6 to 7 days a week out of town, I am the Engineer overseeing bridge work on 315 most notably as well as 3 other projects in District 6 in Marion County and 2 projects around Grove City. All told I already work in excess of 80 hours a week and some weeks I work over 90, with the most being 101 last week. The state would be really pissed if I did what you are suggesting.

I really don't hate it. Ohio State basically plays everything at 3:30 or 7:30 in October & November anymore and interest in HS football has waned quite a bit in the last 10 years

Regarding the possible loss of revenue, what percentage of the spectators attended two games a weekend during the playoffs? 1%, 10%? I'd say closer to 1%.

This is how it always should be. Friday is for HS and Saturday for college. Not to mentions the long week is terrible for coaching.

Side note if you’re complaining because you can’t go to 2 HS games a week, you gotta look into the mirror man because you have a problem.

This is how it always should be. Friday is for HS and Saturday for college. Not to mentions the long week is terrible for coaching.

Side note if you’re complaining because you can’t go to 2 HS games a week, you gotta look into the mirror man because you have a problem.
Tell colleges that. Big Ten will have a lot of Friday games this year.

Overall, all leagues, 3 Friday games will feature Ohio teams out of the 51 Friday games this fall.

I was a basketball official for 10 years. Started doing Jr. High games while still in college. Worked my way up to varsity. After a couple years of varsity, I realized it's nothing but an old boys club, and whoever sucks up the most gets the big games. One of the main officials that assigns games in the Lima area wouldnt let me work in his league, because I wasnt tall enough. (Yes, thats a thing.) So, I got out after the 2015 season. I loved it. I didnt mind the low pay or the travel. I know I could have just kept working other leagues and stayed out of his, but I vowed to stay out until he retires. The whole thing just didn't sit right with me. It's about principle. I'm not the first one that's been stereotyped and surely won't be the last. When he retires, I'll get back in it.

I was a basketball official for 10 years. Started doing Jr. High games while still in college. Worked my way up to varsity. After a couple years of varsity, I realized it's nothing but an old boys club, and whoever sucks up the most gets the big games. One of the main officials that assigns games in the Lima area wouldnt let me work in his league, because I wasnt tall enough. (Yes, thats a thing.) So, I got out after the 2015 season. I loved it. I didnt mind the low pay or the travel. I know I could have just kept working other leagues and stayed out of his, but I vowed to stay out until he retires. The whole thing just didn't sit right with me. It's about principle. I'm not the first one that's been stereotyped and surely won't be the last. When he retires, I'll get back in it.
So after a few years of varsity, you were ready for the "big games"?

Politics are a part of every profession and avocation. The people who are successful find a way past the garbage. Those who aren't blame their lack of success on the system.

The first time around they did it to try and make more money (and failed). This time they’re doing it because the coaches association asked them to. Guess that’s a better reason I suppose?
So they didn't care about the coaches association then or the coaches association didn't make it an issue last time to argue to keep it?

This is a stark difference between Ohio and Texas. In Texas, the two schools pick the location AND officials that will do their game. If they can't agree, they can "flip a coin" for it. Everything about the playoff game is run by the teams. Including date and time.

There is incentive to come to an agreement because the flip could be for home field (if they do home field the next time, if ever, the two teams play in the playoffs the other team automatically gets home field).

And for all that, the schools collect the gate and split it after costs. The UIL gets $1/ticket.

Meanwhile in Ohio, the state mandates when they'll play, where they'll play, and collects virtually all the money. And every host site had to agree to the same meager rent payment.

It really is strange given Ohio pretends to be free market and then wants everything controlled to the penny.

Regarding officials, I'd like to reiterate and confirm what has already been stated. No crews work both Friday and Saturday games when the days are split, so going to only one day will have no effect on the quality of officiating. In fact, it may help because officials won't have to get off Saturday games due to working college games.

So they didn't care about the coaches association then or the coaches association didn't make it an issue last time to argue to keep it?

This is a stark difference between Ohio and Texas. In Texas, the two schools pick the location AND officials that will do their game. If they can't agree, they can "flip a coin" for it. Everything about the playoff game is run by the teams. Including date and time.

There is incentive to come to an agreement because the flip could be for home field (if they do home field the next time, if ever, the two teams play in the playoffs the other team automatically gets home field).

And for all that, the schools collect the gate and split it after costs. The UIL gets $1/ticket.

Meanwhile in Ohio, the state mandates when they'll play, where they'll play, and collects virtually all the money. And every host site had to agree to the same meager rent payment.

It really is strange given Ohio pretends to be free market and then wants everything controlled to the penny.
Ohio can’t legally give the schools money for ticket sales like they used to do in the past. The reason that stopped is because it wasn’t legal. It was deemed profit sharing, and as a non-profit, they can’t do that.

Except "the state" isn't the state government, it is a voluntary association the schools belong to, and if the schools don't like the current arrangement, they can vote to change it.

It is really strange that you forgot that.

But yes, Texas is different in many ways.

As far as officials go, is it not true that in spite of the "everyone gets into the playoffs" mantra, there will still be less games played on Friday of week 11 than week 10?
That is correct. With the help of Joe Eitel and Excel, I counted 331 varsity HS football games played on Ohio fields on Friday of last year's week 10.

To arrive at that number, I copied Joe Eitel's week 10 scores into Excel for quick counting. I counted only the games dated for 10-21, subtracted any cancelled games, subtracted any games involving 2 out-of-state teams (which Eitel includes in his list due to their effect on the computer pts.), and subtracted any games in which an Ohio team was visiting an out-of-state team.

Last edited:
Except "the state" isn't the state government, it is a voluntary association the schools belong to, and if the schools don't like the current arrangement, they can vote to change it.

It is really strange that you forgot that.

But yes, Texas is different in many ways.
When I say "the state" I'm referring to the organization set up by the state schools to run their sports.

I have a feeling who your talking about. And it's not right. There's a lot of ego at the top. What the heck height have anything to do with anything. Tall enough, that's a pathetic excuse. No wonder we lose refs. Forget the fans(I can ignore them). These idiots making decisions like this need to get over themselves.