2024 Massillon Tigers

Why would a team from Pittsburgh drive hours past Massillon to get to Cincinnati? It makes no sense; Pittsburgh is two hours away. There are no great expenses that need to be subsidized or defrayed. And to play in a stadium that will be mostly empty?
I agree on all points.... If it is some sort of "Classic" I hope that we have a financial guarantee from the organizers - wouldn't want us to get stuck with a huge bill like those OOS teams that played in that so-called "Classic" at Benson last year.... Wonder how much money their GoFundMe's made?

Because they like their chances better on a neutral field than in our stadium? And the dollars were the same? I don't know just my guess. Or were you saying to play it at Benson?
I'm just saying it doesn't make any sense. Is a neutral field worth an extra 4 hours in a bus? We brought Pick Central up a couple of years ago. Logistically, that's the same as bringing in a team from Pittsburgh. We made those numbers work. Why wouldn't a similar arrangement with PCC be viable?

And no, no games at Benson. We can grace them with our presence week 10 every other year and week 16 every year. No reason to consider playing there any other time.

You want a week 1 challenge?
You want a week 1 large crowd?
You want offseason excitement?

Simple.

Put all the "we don't wanna play them until the playoffs" crap aside and schedule a home and home with Hoban. Schedule a home and home with LaSalle....Winton Woods.

We always talk about the gate and the wanting so many home games a year but it's still just high school football.

Problem solved

What do the above have in common? I think is the larger key.

The phenomena you describe doesn't really apply for big school publics (D1/D2). It is nice to get over the hump and I get your point to an extent, but back-to-back is probably about as good as it gets. Obviously I/we would be THRILLED with that. And yeah, that W gives us a shot at least, and more confidence.

McKinley had one late 90's. Buchtel late 80's. Special classes. This upcoming sr. class for Massillon is similar. Could see that as freshmen. We'll see.
I would say having a consistent coaching staff that builds a program from the youth level all the way up. Moore has done that. Elder at Avon has done it. Very few publics can sustain it.

He just said what he heard? What’s wrong or humorous about that?
Not gonna try and speak for anyone and MY wise arsed comments about the subject aren't personally directed at anyone. Massillonk1d330 is a good poster and I believe that's what he heard. But Jackson have dodged Massillon for so long I think it's natural to question it's legitimacy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just saying it doesn't make any sense. Is a neutral field worth an extra 4 hours in a bus? We brought Pick Central up a couple of years ago. Logistically, that's the same as bringing in a team from Pittsburgh. We made those numbers work. Why wouldn't a similar arrangement with PCC be viable?

I hear you. Not saying I get it either. Far fewer fans, far less electric atmosphere, far less enjoyable for the live fans of BOTH schools, nor for the players themselves. The game is obviously for the dudes who thunk it up, not so much the participants.

Back to the Jackson rumor. What does Massillon gain from this rumored matchup?

Competition? May as well just schedule Firestone and get your starters out a few minutes earlier.

Computer points? Nope....if that's what you're looking for may as well just keep Mansfield on the schedule.

One might think the "national powerhouse" would also prefer to play at Massillon. Look no further than week 1 of last year. Compare the atmosphere at PBTS to that in Canton. Which one would you want to play in?
How much did Massillon pay Valdosta to play at PBTS ?

And no, no games at Benson. We can grace them with our presence week 10 every other year and week 16 every year. No reason to consider playing there any other time.
By all means tell Coach Moore that you would be able to get a really good team to play at PBTS week 1.
It’s funny when so many people think it’s so easy to just find teams to play.

By all means tell Coach Moore that you would be able to get a really good team to play at PBTS week 1.
It’s funny when so many people think it’s so easy to just find teams to play.
dude, why are you always so f'ing confrontational? No one said it would be easy. Folks realize that as an upper-tier independent, filling a schedule has challenges and frequently requires compromises and departures from preference.

What was being said specifically is that it makes little sense for two teams to each spend 8 hours in a bus to play in front of small and indifferent crowd when the same two teams could play with much easier travel and a much better environment. IOW, there is no reason for Massillon and PCC to play in Cincinnati. And no, appearing in some event/classic/showcase/whatever they call them this week is not a reason. There is no cachet or competitive benefit to be gained from doing so. If the choice is PCC in Cincinnati or an open week, take the game -- but (in spite of Moore's stated preference for a big opener) a home game against almost anyone would be preferable.

As for an alternative? Glenville and Upper Arlington are both open.

A game that will generate local interest and doesn't require a multi-hour bus ride.

Who would it interest?

Would people show up thinking it's going to be a good game or....possibly even thinking Jackson had a shot to pull the upset? Doubt it
Massillon's fans only interest would be dropping 50 on em. You know Jackson fans would think/know they're going to get B slapped. And why would anyone from Massillon care about a multi hour bus ride when the game is at PBTS?

How much did Massillon pay Valdosta to play at PBTS ?
Don't know, don't care. That was a unique situation. If you think some random team from Texas, Florida, etc. would repeat that, you're mistaken.

The money for us to bring them here doesn't exist. More importantly, neither does the interest.

Who would it interest?
More people than a game in Cincinnati.

Would people show up thinking it's going to be a good game or....possibly even thinking Jackson had a shot to pull the upset? Doubt it
Massillon's fans only interest would be dropping 50 on em. You know Jackson fans would think/know they're going to get B slapped.
The "why" doesn't matter. Bottom line is that there would be more fans at this game.

And why would anyone from Massillon care about a multi hour bus ride when the game is at PBTS?
That's not the situation under discussion. What's being said is that if the choice is between a game against Jackson (at either PBTS or Barney Fife) or a long road trip to play some desperation opponent, Jackson is preferable.

The "why" doesn't matter. Bottom line is that there would be more fans at this game.

That's not the situation under discussion. What's being said is that if the choice is between a game against Jackson (at either PBTS or Barney Fife) or a long road trip to play some desperation opponent, Jackson is preferable.

Didn't realize the Jackson discussion was an either/or with the Cinci trip. Doesn't change my mind, that potential game does nothing for us. And selling out Barnew Fife....shouldn't be too hard.

One might think the "national powerhouse" would also prefer to play at Massillon. Look no further than week 1 of last year. Compare the atmosphere at PBTS to that in Canton. Which one would you want to play in?

I agree 100%, but I could understand Moore entertaining the thought of playing at an event that’s basically in his hometown.

I haven’t seen anyone mention East central and Indianapolis Cathedral, they regularly beat the teams they play from the GCL/ Cincinnati. East Central has a well kept grass field and “small town style” stadium while Indy Cathedral is akin to schools like St.Xavier, St.Eds, Iggys. Good competition

dude, why are you always so f'ing confrontational? No one said it would be easy. Folks realize that as an upper-tier independent, filling a schedule has challenges and frequently requires compromises and departures from preference.

What was being said specifically is that it makes little sense for two teams to each spend 8 hours in a bus to play in front of small and indifferent crowd when the same two teams could play with much easier travel and a much better environment. IOW, there is no reason for Massillon and PCC to play in Cincinnati. And no, appearing in some event/classic/showcase/whatever they call them this week is not a reason. There is no cachet or competitive benefit to be gained from doing so. If the choice is PCC in Cincinnati or an open week, take the game -- but (in spite of Moore's stated preference for a big opener) a home game against almost anyone would be preferable.

As for an alternative? Glenville and Upper Arlington are both open.
So again Massillon should pay for Pitt CC to come to PBTS ? Or let the sponsors of the classic pay for them ? Moore said himself that there is no way the Valdosta game would have happened unless someone foot the bill.
It’s not about being confrontational it’s about using some common sense.
I would rather play an OOS power anywhere week 1, then Upper Arlington who is mediocre at best or Glenville which is a D4 team and would bring about as many fans as Valdosta did last year.

Don't know, don't care. That was a unique situation. If you think some random team from Texas, Florida, etc. would repeat that, you're mistaken.

The money for us to bring them here doesn't exist. More importantly, neither does the interest.
ZERO ! That’s my point, if someone else is footing the bill why does it matter if we play a strong OOS team on the road, no matter where it is.

Huge game for Massillon would be to lure the Kentucky team we're tied with for 2nd. I don't mind playing Jackson at all. I am opposed to more than 3 away games, 5 is unheard of. Walsh Jesuit or Springfield would be interesting.

So again Massillon should pay for Pitt CC to come to PBTS ?
Massillon pays every visiting team. Why would PCC be any different?

Moore said himself that there is no way the Valdosta game would have happened unless someone foot the bill.
Geography 101. Pittsburgh ain't in Georgia.

I would rather play an OOS power anywhere week 1, then Upper Arlington who is mediocre at best or Glenville which is a D4 team and would bring about as many fans as Valdosta did last year.
Your contention is that Massillon would destroy Glenville? Why don't you give us your expert assessment on how other potential opponents compare to Glenville? Or at what point in the game Massillon would put a running clock on them?

And ya know, using the Valdosta game as an example of poor attendance is flat-out idiotic. If you've got an argument, make it. But FFS, don't make yourself look stupid.

Massillon pays every visiting team. Why would PCC be any different?

Geography 101. Pittsburgh ain't in Georgia.

Your contention is that Massillon would destroy Glenville? Why don't you give us your expert assessment on how other potential opponents compare to Glenville? Or at what point in the game Massillon would put a running clock on them?

And ya know, using the Valdosta game as an example of poor attendance is flat-out idiotic. If you've got an argument, make it. But FFS, don't make yourself look stupid.
Since when do we HAVE to play a home game week 1 ?
IF the week 1 game is a fact you do understand it’s a classic that has a sponsor and we would have been invited to play in it. Again there is that common sense issue I brought up earlier, instead you want to whine and btch about playing someone at home, when your asz is probably home watching it on tv anyway.

Funny thing is there is a chance we will be playing a different team from GA this year at PBTS. Again more for you to btch about.

Don’t tell me what my contention is, I said playing a D4 team like Glenville that will bring about 75 fans on a Friday night does nothing for the program.

Actually using the Valdosta crowd in comparison to Ohio teams isn’t idiotic at all, if you were at that game you would know that a team that has fan support like Glenville or Upper Arlington or similar would have just as many fans as Valdosta brought.

FFS use some common sense before you go off on one of your 645 daily posts.