2023 St. Edward Football

A bit sloppy. Zingers strange 4th down call helped us out big time. Score not telling the whole story IMO, Ignatius is better than what their fans say.
Better than? BS....1 passing yard? Come on man, they are exactly the team we said. You guys took it easy on us, and still we had a 3rd running clock in row.

St. Ignatius now leads the series 32-31-1. I think if you look at St. Edward's records they may have it 33-31-1 Wildcats, but that includes the 1950 season that St. Edward regards as their first "Varsity" season, however we only had Herbs and Sophomores that year, and the game was against the Ignatius JV.

Depending on how the playoffs end up, the series could be tied this year. For fun, Ed's won 8 straight games against the Cats in the 70s. Ignatius' longest unbeaten streak against the Eagles is 4. Eagles are at 7 now and look to be in prime position to continue that.

Depending on how the playoffs end up, the series could be tied this year. For fun, Ed's won 8 straight games against the Cats in the 70s. Ignatius' longest unbeaten streak against the Eagles is 4. Eagles are at 7 now and look to be in prime position to continue that.
I don't remember the year, maybe '96, Iggy had a 36 or 39 game winning streak that we snapped. I love beating the school from the lower westside across from Wendys. Go Eagles!

Their 39 game streak was from 10/31/87 to 11/3/90 so I guess not.

Austintown Fitch broke that one in round one of the playoffs. Boardman snapped a 38-game Ignatius win streak in 1994. Lake Catholic broke a 25-game Ignatius streak in 1996 and then St. Edward beat the Wildcats 4 or 5 weeks later.

Ignatius basically sent the JV to play the experienced two-time champs. It was embarrassing and ugly.

a once proud program now described with the word “awful.”

More successful sports at the school, not as much of a focus overall, and eds has the avenue on the talent too
Remind us who has the most state titles in Ohio ? Ed’s doesn’t seem to have a prob with other sports also being successful. Flan has had the BB program top notch for 25 yrs , wrestling is its own animal ….. baseball has won 3 titles , rugby won a few and hockey hasn’t won the big one lately but there always right there.

Saying other sports are successful is a cop out answer to me.

For the guy who I can't see when logged in since I ignore him...asking about who has the most titles. That's nice and cute, do you consider Moeller in same vein since they rolled before our run? The last title for the Cats was 12 years ago, irrelevant to the current context

Ed’s thanks ignatius for the bye week!
Players needed a rest. The light scrimmage they provided last night, really helped kids recover from
Their aches and pains. Hopefully Ed’s gets ignatius in the playoffs for another bye week!

I’m kidding respect the program. Just had to get a jab in.

Ed’s thanks ignatius for the bye week!
Players needed a rest. The light scrimmage they provided last night, really helped kids recover from
Their aches and pains. Hopefully Ed’s gets ignatius in the playoffs for another bye week!

I’m kidding respect the program. Just had to get a jab in.
I guess it's only a jab that hurts if most of us don't actually believe the same. Bullock didn't even have to take off at all. It truly was a scrimmage. I never thought I would live to see the day of 1 yard passing. Disgusting. At least you guys have an actual program. Go win another title, because this program deserves to have its nose rubbed in it at this point. Playoffs....not sure I call 1-9 a playoff matchup, but, whatever at this point. Apathy is increasing on my side

Better than? BS....1 passing yard? Come on man, they are exactly the team we said. You guys took it easy on us, and still we had a 3rd running clock in row.
I have to agree with you. They really are not very good. Not only by their normal standard, but in general. The talent just isn't there. They are really down. But... if the playoff seeding falls just right, they could win a game or 2 in the playoffs. But part of that is because everyone is down (except Ed's).

I have to agree with you. They really are not very good. Not only by their normal standard, but in general. The talent just isn't there. They are really down. But... if the playoff seeding falls just right, they could win a game or 2 in the playoffs. But part of that is because everyone is down (except Ed's).
What team or two do you think they can beat in the playoffs?

No chance of them beating Cleveland hts
They are legit this year
I don't agree. Heights barely beat Hudson (by 3), Brunswick (by 3), Mentor (by 1 in OT), Solon (by 14). Ignatius could match all of those scores. So I include Heights in with the teams Ignatius has a shot at beating in the playoffs. Those 4 games are very unimpressive.

I don't agree. Heights barely beat Hudson (by 3), Brunswick (by 3), Mentor (by 1 in OT), Solon (by 14). Ignatius could match all of those scores. So I include Heights in with the teams Ignatius has a shot at beating in the playoffs. Those 4 games are very unimpressive.
I've seen both teams play this year. Only chance Ignatius would have against Clev Hts would be if CH melts down with penalties. I'd make Iggy a 10 point underdog if they face them in the playoffs.

Ed's took it easy on Iggy for the most part Saturday. I was there. Ed's starters weren't even sweating on the sideline and it was fairly warm out.

Ed's looks like they have fixed some of their deficiencies. When I saw them earlier in the year, I thought they could struggle against the top teams due to a lack of skill position players, RB in particular. But the Sophomore they have back there now looks really promising. He is much quicker and shiftier than the kid that started the season at RB. Bullock's passing concerns me a bit, but he looked good against Iggy. Hopefully he gets healthy because his top asset is his mobility, IMO. The good news is that D1 looks seriously down this year. I believe whomever wins D2 should be considered the best team in the state this year.

Sounds weird to say, but I'm not sure there is much to take away from the Ignatius game in terms of progression given the fact that we were essentially playing their JV team. The emergence of White as the primary ball carrier adds more big-play potential to the offense, especially given his ability as a receiver out of the backfield. He and fellow sophomore Zack Hackleman will be the cornerstones of the offense the next few years. Those two, along with the senior vets Mason and Sullivan give the offense plenty of options. Sullivan in particular has taken his level of play up this year. I would still like to see more passes in between the hashes on crossing routes or up the seams to the TE's. I wonder if we will try to test Casey's legs this week against North. Can't imagine they would want to play him for any more than a half heading into the finals two games with Moeller and Hoban.

On the defensive side there have been a few adjustments with Eaton moving to corner and Hayden splitting time Buchanan at one of the safety positions. We are still seeing too many chunk plays given up by the defense, but they really clamp down in the redzone. Following a couple big runs by Washington that led to Ignatius' only TD, we went with a heavier box that proved more effective. Jordan Marshall is going to be a huge test next weekend to really see where the defense is at.

There is nothing Eds could take from the Ignatius game. I’m not 100 percent sold on the sophomores either.

I realize we have a game against Football Noth tomorrow and they are no slouches, but I just watched the 3 and 1/2 hour marathon featuring the Cleveland Heights Tigers 62 vs. Medina Battling Bees 52 contest on Spectrum that I can only describe as an absurdity. It's difficult to even begin to discuss this game. My head is spinning.

And what's with the CH Cincinnati Bengal helmets and Steeler colored uniforms? Really? They do look sharp, but a little much for a Browns fan.

I can't even calculate how many penalties there were in this game. Every other play had a penalty flag. Add in some horrible play calling on 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 in the second half by Medina, and those plays created an almost comical scenario of "what else can they screw up?" Not to be outdone, CH seemed to make play after play only to see all that would be accomplished undone by penalties. Yet these teams scored a combined 114 points!

I would assume that CH, Medina and McKinley are the biggest challenges to Eds in R1. Yet, I just don't get the CH/Medina programs. What is going on with the idea of playing defense?

It will be interesting to see how Eds deals with Stoddard's passing and CH rushing. Yet, tonight I'm left scratching my head. What was that????

Last edited:
I realize we have a game against Football Noth tomorrow and they are no slouches, but I just watched the 3 and 1/2 hour marathon featuring the Cleveland Heights Tigers 62 vs. Medina Battling Bees 52 contest on Spectrum that I can only describe as an absurdity. It's difficult to even begin to discuss this game. My head is spinning.

And what's with the CH Cincinnati Bengal helmets and Steeler colored uniforms? Really? They do look sharp, but a little much for a Browns fan.

I can't even calculate how many penalties there were in this game. Every other play had a penalty flag. Add in some horrible play calling on 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 in the second half by Medina, and those plays created an almost comical scenario of "what else can they screw up?" Not to be outdone, CH seemed to make play after play only to see all that would be accomplished undone by penalties. Yet these teams scored a combined 114 points!

I would assume that CH, Medina and McKinley are the biggest challenges to Eds in R1. Yet, I just don't get the CH/Medina programs. What is going on with the idea of playing defense?

It will be interesting to see how Eds deals with Stoddard's passing and CH rushing. Yet, tonight I'm left scratching my head. What was that????
Eds guys, can Clarkson make it interesting today?