2023 St. Edward Football

👍I felt Moe’s TE, J. Kattus, was a major reason for the win at Lakewood in ‘21. He caught almost half of the balls thrown by Moe’s QB that day.
If you go to the "Archbishop Moeller Athletics" website and scroll down to the "This week in Moeller Football" weekly podcast you can get a real good feel for where this team is right now. It is a 24 minute podcast chock full of insight on offense and defense. GBM 💪 🏈

Should be a great matchup today, even if it doesn't necessarily impact eligibility for either team going into week #11. I'm going to watch the matchups and see how our run D responds and how we handle their TE's.

And looking ahead it seems we may have a rematch with the Wildcats in that 11th week slot. Joe Eitel has us at #4 and the WIldcats at #13.

If Eds and Ignatius were to both lose their last two games (a real possibility) that would seem to put put us in that week #11 matchup vs. Ignatius. I think if Eds wins either today or next week at Hoban, then we'd likely jump at least Wadsworth and move up. I don't know the math, and not that it matters, but I wonder if Eds could end up #1 in the region by beating both Moeller and Hoban? Heights will get a lot of points though if they beat a 7-2 Shaker team next week. McKinley has an insurmountable challenge next week against Massillon. Wadsworth has an out of state game today against an undefeated opponent (how did that get scheduled?) and closes out against 1-8 North Royalton next week. Ignatius seems stuck in the 13th spot no matter what they do. They won't get any points for beating Canada North next week and I'm not sure a win today over X will allow them to jump a bad Strongsville team in slot #12. Someone would have to do the math on that.
I guess it doesn't matter where everyone lands since our Eagles are in with a home game regardless. Looking at these rankings was fun when only 8 got in, but now it's kind of "what's the point?"

I just wasted 1/2 hour of a Saturday morning on nothing, but you can waste time too looking at the slots in the link below!🤣

What is the weather like near "the mistake on the lake"? GBM 💪 🏈
I would describe it as dreary here right now. 😂 Looks like 75% chance of rain during the game with the temp around 55 degrees, but the "feel like" temp for the game is projected to be in the 40's. Dress appropriately.
For those Crusader fans coming up parking around the stadium can be a challenge, but eventually you'll find something on a side street for free. If you arrive before game time, there are plenty of watering holes and restaurants along Madison Ave. very close to the stadium that are a 2 minute walk away. McGinty's Irish Pub (no food but great draft selection); The Lakewood Village Tavern (good wings and burgers) Richland Cafe (a dive, but ok for Miller/Bud crowd); Western Reserve Distillers ( If you really need high-end hard liquor); Greek Village Grill (sandwich fair); Angelo's Pizza (popular pizza and Italian w/brews) and I'll throw in Euro Gyro (Mediterranean). See you at the game!

Enjoying this thread fellas. Looking forward to seeing the vastly improved (and still improving) Crusaders up against the D1 standard bearer today. Running the table in the GCL is no small task, but St. Eds is on another level right now.

Whew. Ended up being a great game. Defense fell apart in the second half. Thank goodness Moeller was asleep in the first half.

I think we actually see the rematch this year in early December.

Whew. Ended up being a great game. Defense fell apart in the second half. Thank goodness Moeller was asleep in the first half.

I think we actually see the rematch this year in early December.
Moeller's announcer mentioned this as a barometer game against the benchmark best team of Div I, St. Edward, as to where we are now from a slow start at the beginning of the season. Despite letting the 2nd quarter get away from us, there's alot of good we can take away from it with playoffs right around the corner. Despite Jordan Marshall being out with an injury, we were still able to rack up yards, score some points and make it a close game at the end.
Looking forward to a rematch. Hopefully Moeller will still be alive for the semi-finals when I come up to visit family over Thanksgiving weekend.

Moeller's announcer mentioned this as a barometer game against the benchmark best team of Div I, St. Edward, as to where we are now from a slow start at the beginning of the season. Despite letting the 2nd quarter get away from us, there's alot of good we can take away from it with playoffs right around the corner. Despite Jordan Marshall being out with an injury, we were still able to rack up yards, score some points and make it a close game at the end.
Looking forward to a rematch. Hopefully Moeller will still be alive for the semi-finals when I come up to visit family over Thanksgiving weekend.
I hope Marshall is alright. He's a tough kid. You could tell that travelling had an effect on Moeller in the first half. Thankfully we built enough of a lead for when Moeller woke up it was enough to win.

First half: Eds fumbles the punt, Moeller takes over in the red zone. Eds gets the stop on 4th down from the 3. Looking back, the play of the game for Eds.

Second half: 13 from Moeller runs all over the place and 7 finds his confidence and starts slinging it a bit. If Moeller played the whole game like they played the 2nd half this one has a different result.

I think it's clear the Eagles have their work cut out for them. At halftime I was thinking finally the defense is having a complete game. I don't feel as confident now, though I can see what the defense as a unit could/should be. Offensively, Brandon White is clearly the RB 1 from here on out. And while it's improper to speculate about high schoolers injuries, I think the staff is still worried about running Casey.

What a game! Congrats to the Eagle players and coaches. Moeller is really good. Even with an injured Marshall. (and I hope he's ok). If we're lucky to make it to week 16, I think we saw our opponent today. Great game that was better than anything anyone will see on Sunday in Cincy or CLE. 😁

I hope White gets an ice bath tomorrow. He had his coming out party today! 😁 And we have to play Hoban on Friday!😐

And I did waste my time hoping for an Eagle v Wildcat rematch in week #11. Iggy can't get out of that #13 spot and we've now jumped to #1 in the Region. Heights has Shaker (not an easy win by any stretch) and Mckinley has Massillon. So we should end up at #1 or #2. We'll likely get #16 or #15 depending on how Heights plays next week against Shaker.

Here's the latest: https://www.joeeitel.com/hsfoot/region.jsp?region=1&year=2023

The Eagles needed the Moeller contest on Saturday for ongoing development as the playoffs loom.

Offensively they needed to test Bullock's legs and determine what athletes and schemes will be their "go to" when they need points as quality opponents arise week 11 on.

Defensively they need to understand what deficiencies need to be addressed. For instance, what schemes can they afford to play given their best 11 against a dual threat QB or a prolific running or passing O? As an example, given that Moeller's wideout posed significant coverage challenges in a cover 1 scheme, they will need to rely on cover 2 to address the same outcomes we saw this past Saturday as the post season begins.

Still a contender to win state week 11 on.

Go Eagles.

Last edited:
The Eagles needed the Moeller contest on Saturday for ongoing development as the playoffs loom.

Offensively they needed to test Bullock's legs and determine what athletes and schemes will be their "go to" when they need points as quality opponents arise week 11 on.

Defensively they need to understand what deficiencies need to be addressed. For instance, what schemes can they afford to play given their best 11 against a dual threat QB or a prolific running or passing O? As an example, given that Moeller's wideout posed significant coverage challenges in a cover 1 scheme, they will need to rely on cover 2 to address the same outcomes we saw this past Saturday as the post season begins.

Go Eagles.

Go Eagles.
I thought Bullock looked pretty good pulling and running against Moeller. Definitely not 100%, but good enough that teams need to be on notice again. Unfortunately, I thought he regressed in the pass game this week compared to the Ignatius and North games. Conditions certainly played a role, but it's that time of year and he needs to execute better regardless of the weather. I liked the implementation of the split-back shotgun formation with White and Groudle in the backfield. I also liked that we ran Mason in motion behind it for the added jet sweep threat. A lot for defenses to have to account for.

Liked the performance of the defense overall. Aside from the opening drive run that Marshall took for like 40 yards, I think he may have had only one other 10+ yard run the rest of the first half. His other big gain (which I believe he was injured on) was a pass play out of the backfield in which he got a very good matchup against our MLB. I'm not ready to worry about the pass breakdowns just yet. For one, that Love kid is just a great athlete and tough matchup for any DB. But a couple of his big gains could be attributed to missed tackles and soft coverage. The first one he took into the redzone was on a corner blitz and the safety who was supposed to come pick him up completely whiffed (followed by at least two other missed tackles downfield). Should have been no more than a 10 yard gain. The other scoring drive we chose to play bail technique on him and it was pitch and catch. That late in the game I think we were just choosing to play it safe and not risk getting burned in man coverage. Unfortunately, it backfired and they ended up just marching down the field anyway against soft coverage.

Let's get this thread off page 4 as we get ready for week #11. Attached is Norm Weber's recap on the Hoban game. Hopefully Bullock can take a couple weeks to rest up before the possible week #13 rematch with Ignatius or a game with very good Mentor team that seems to have had a quiet, but very successful season. Ignatius at Mentor should be quite a matchup in week #11.

So just for fun, and thinking ahead, the final four (ok, 5) will likely be #1 Eds v. Iggy #12 or Mentor #5 against the winner of Cleveland Hts. #2 v. Medina #6. That Cleve Hts. Medina rematch on a neutral field should be another doosey.

If it's Mentor followed by Medina in weeks #13 and #14, the pass defense will surley be tested in both those matchups. Assuming, of course, we get that far.

And down in Region 4 it looks like we could see a Moeller v. St X rematch in week #12.

Last edited:
Let's get this thread off page 4 as we get ready for week #11. Attached is Norm Weber's recap on the Hoban game. Hopefully Bullock can take a couple weeks to rest up before the possible week #13 rematch with Ignatius or a game with very good Mentor team that seems to have had a quiet, but very successful season. Ignatius at Mentor should be quite a matchup in week #11.

So just for fun, and thinking ahead, the final four (ok, 5) will likely be #1 Eds v. Iggy #12 or Mentor #5 against the winner of Cleveland Hts. #2 v. Medina #6. That Cleve Hts. Medina rematch on a neutral field should be another doosey.

If it's Mentor followed by Medina in weeks #13 and #14, the pass defense will surley be tested in both those matchups. Assuming, of course, we get that far.

And down in Region 4 it looks like we could see a Moeller v. St X rematch in week #12.

1. Ignatius isn't making it to week 13, which would mean winning at both Mentor and Wadsworth/McKinley.
2. R1 is not good. Your path to the state semi is paved in gold, and I'm not sure I recall a more down year for this region

Watched the Eagles from the stands last night, very happy for the win. Hoban has a very tough defense and they made the Eagles work hard for their points. They have very good speed and would not allow our running backs to get the edge, except when it counted on Mason's end around late in the 4th. Our defense was stellar and pitched a shut out which was great and why the Eagles were able to get a W. Our O line wore down Hoban and allowed White to make some great gains in the 4th, some nice new wrinkles in the offense to keep the Hoban defense off balance.

1. Ignatius isn't making it to week 13, which would mean winning at both Mentor and Wadsworth/McKinley.
2. R1 is not good. Your path to the state semi is paved in gold, and I'm not sure I recall a more down year for this region
Come on! All together now! "We want the Wildcats!" We Want the Wildcats!" WE WANT THE WILDCATS!" 😁

I'll pick up up for the ride to Mansfield. 😇

We are positive that is who you want
Perhaps I'm living in the past and only seeing Ignatius through the lense of faded greatness, but I believe, with Haddad and Ritt, they're the 2nd best team in R1. I see a Week #13 rematch with the Eagles. I'll be shocked if it doesn't happen. The only downside is I have to watch my Eagles chase another Haddad all over the landscape.

Perhaps I'm living in the past and only seeing Ignatius through the lense of faded greatness, but I believe, with Haddad and Ritt, they're the 2nd best team in R1. I see a Week #13 rematch with the Eagles. I'll be shocked if it doesn't happen. The only downside is I have to watch my Eagles chase another Haddad all over the landscape.
If they beat Mentor I could see it since next would be a McKinley who has fallen off a cliff the last 2 weeks or a St. Wrongsville who is not good at all. I just don't think we beat Mentor this time. And truthfully, I dont need to see another beat down in week 13

Game notes are up for the Elyria game. These capture all the current stats from the regular season with a lot of historical stats as well. Just scroll down and click on the game notes icon. You can then choose the game you want, but the stats are all updated weekly so Elyria link will have all the season to date updated stats. Great job by Adam Mendoza and Pat Kennedy among others on these. They are accessible here: https://www.stedwardeagles.com/sports/football/varsity/

Game notes are up for the Elyria game. These capture all the current stats from the regular season with a lot of historical stats as well. Just scroll down and click on the game notes icon. You can then choose the game you want, but the stats are all updated weekly so Elyria link will have all the season to date updated stats. Great job by Adam Mendoza and Pat Kennedy among others on these. They are accessible here: https://www.stedwardeagles.com/sports/football/varsity/
Looking over the Elyria Game Notes, I found two typos in the “Tale of the Tape” statistics for St. Edward. Their Points Against Avg. is 14.1 per game (not 141.1). Their Pass Defense Avg. is 114.7 yards per game (not 240.5).