2023 St. Edward Football

Doubtful. A student can participate the first half of the season without OHSAA approval.

Neither does anyone else -- but one might reasonably suspect that Massillon is very familiar with the transfer approval process and would have submitted the paperwork.
Yep, so they are just waiting for the OHSSA waiver process for the second half of the season and tournament play. And yes, Massillon would have known to sit him last Friday without approval from OHSAA to participate.

Personally, I don't want any forfeit "wins" that weren't won on the field. As far as I'm concerned, Massillon (and especially Owens) beat us fair and square on the field. We had no answer for Owens. In my view he's a young man who doesn't deserve to be dragged through the internet mud (to the extent he may feel that) just because he transferred to the school of his choice. I know the Ed's players very much respect him.

And those criticizing Massillon should remember the Frankie Edmunds saga. I don't recall the year, but a certain school challenged a win when he simply handled a kickoff as a sophomore. Ed's had to forfeit a bunch of games because of an eligibility issue. We had to go into the playoffs as an 8th seed (or something like that). We didn't win anything that year, but it was because we lost on the field. Not because of anything else. I don't know all the rules and requirements, but Owens is just a kid who should be allowed ro play. But that's just my opinion.
I agree, no forfeited wins necessary. Massillon beat us on the field, and that's all that matters.
Edmonds was only in on a kick-off against St. X., and the ball was kicked out of bounds, but it didn't matter. Transfer rules were a bit different then, but all the same he was not eligible to play.

This once "great rivalry" is no longer a "great rivalry" on the gridiron. Ed's can pretty much name the score. And it's a shame. When they are both state title contenders, this game is as good as any. It's not called "The Holy War" for nothing. But it's not that at all now. More like "The Bully beatdown". Or "The big brothern beatdown".
It’s a regular Freshman team with one Sophomore OL. Every single offensive skill player and starting player on D is a Freshman. #8 is also a Freshman. Our JV doesn’t have any seniors, we bring up the Freshman team, add 2 more Soph OL, 2 Soph WR and a few Soph defensive players. I’ve never seen the term “Reserve team” on any docs, Hudl, or communication from the staff. But I like your idea better, we could use some more experienced OL on the Fr. squad.
Chill out…He gave what I assume is storied opinion.

No game thread for this week. Would likely turn into a disaster anyway. Nevertheless, a rivalry game is a rivalry game and the kids on Ignatius will be playing with plenty of emotion. There's no doubt that Ignatius is battle tested thus far.

Looking forward to seeing how Csanyi handles the atmosphere in another big game. He played well against Massillon considering the circumstances. Hopefully another week of reps with the guys takes him another step forward. Ignatius can't seem to figure out their offense, a mix of youth and the new regime in my opinion. Ignatius has to turn the page in the playbook this week and at least try something else.

Eagle D needs to have a solid performance like last years contest. They are certainly capable, but have been a bit inconsistent this year. Hopefully this is the game they find their identity post-Kilbane/Gideon.

Overall, a great opportunity for the Eagles to make a statement and put some fire into the team before Moeller and Hoban. But Eds has everything to lose in this game and Ignatius has nothing to lose. That naturally worries me. Everyone is expecting a Biblical level beatdown, so all the pressure is on the Eagles to deliver.

No game thread for this week. Would likely turn into a disaster anyway. Nevertheless, a rivalry game is a rivalry game and the kids on Ignatius will be playing with plenty of emotion. There's no doubt that Ignatius is battle tested thus far.

Looking forward to seeing how Csanyi handles the atmosphere in another big game. He played well against Massillon considering the circumstances. Hopefully another week of reps with the guys takes him another step forward. Ignatius can't seem to figure out their offense, a mix of youth and the new regime in my opinion. Ignatius has to turn the page in the playbook this week and at least try something else.

Eagle D needs to have a solid performance like last years contest. They are certainly capable, but have been a bit inconsistent this year. Hopefully this is the game they find their identity post-Kilbane/Gideon.

Overall, a great opportunity for the Eagles to make a statement and put some fire into the team before Moeller and Hoban. But Eds has everything to lose in this game and Ignatius has nothing to lose. That naturally worries me. Everyone is expecting a Biblical level beatdown, so all the pressure is on the Eagles to deliver.
Agree. I’m so shell shocked from the past that I have the Wildcats as an 8 point favorite. In the Gibbons era, I’d walk out of the stadium wondering how we lost to them!

I don’t see an epic beat down coming our offense doesn’t have anything special about it personally the soph running back looks like the playmaker for us , loosing qb1 definitely set us back. Regardless of div 1 being a down year or not div 1 is ours to take again. Let’s keep winning and improving each other week!

Iggy is so bad we should shut them out. Their coaching , talent , play calling is all god awful this year. Iv watched them play twice now and it’s utterly embarrassing.

35-0 or 28-3 seems likely.

Jump on them early and this game will never be in doubt.

Here's Norm Weber's excellent preview of the game:

GAME PREVIEW: The Battle of the Saints has arrived, rivalry week, the most unique battle among long-time friends, teammates and classmates playing on opposite teams: St. Edward vs. St. Ignatius

By Norm Weber
nweber@sehs.net
Twitter.com/WeberNorm/
LAKEWOOD – All that can be said is – here it is. The game that each team from both schools await with anticipation: St. Edward vs. St. Ignatius.
Currently known as the Battle of the Saints (the previous name of the rivalry having been expunged a few years ago), St. Edward against St. Ignatius draws big crowds in any sport, but football has been the grandest, due to it being ranked by a number of credible organizations near the top five among rivalries in the country.
The Eagles (5-1) and Wildcats (1-5) will play at 7 p.m. Saturday inside First Federal of Lakewood Stadium.
“We should expect the team that comes out fighting …,” said St. Edward Head Coach Tom Lombardo. “They’ve played a tough schedule as have we. In this game, as anyone would say, throw the records out. The kids are excited to play in the game. They look forward to the game at the beginning of the year. That’s how it is.”
St. Ignatius’ won-loss record is a mirage. In the past two weeks, they lost to the No. 1 ranked team in the state in Division II (Archbishop Hoban) and the No. I ranked team in Division III Toledo Central Catholic.
Now the Wildcats get the two-time defending state champions and current No. 1 ranked team in the big school division, St. Edward.
“No matter what (record or rankings), you have to play well Saturday night,” Coach Lombardo said.
As usual, the crowd will be big, upwards of 8,000 and should be filled to capacity. The Eagles are used to it already this season. They played at Tom Benson Stadium and Paul Brown Tiger Stadium, the two biggest venues for high schools in Ohio, and to large crowds.
“We’ve played the game now, the kids have been in St. Ignatius games and big stadiums,” Coach Lombardo said. “We’ve been deep in the playoffs and state championship games, which has the same type of feel. We went to Massillon and to Canton for Our Lady of Good Counsel. We’re used to big crowds. We’re excited to do it.”
In the first meeting between the schools last year, St. Ignatius lost quarterback Joshua Papesh on a hard hit and inserted Quinn Woidke at quarterback. Woidke actually did better for the Cats, but the Eagles still ran away with it, 48-6.
Papesh returned for the playoff game and was the starter earlier this year. However, the Ignatius JV team is 6-1 and word has it that the Cats’ two freshman teams are even better.
Sophomore Peyton Frontino scored his first varsity start at quarterback last week against Toledo Central Catholic, a 35-0 loss.
“We’re expecting him to start again,” Coach Lombardo said.
Frontino did throw for 190 yards in that game.
“They like his ability to stand in the pocket and throw the football,” Lombardo said. “We never know who is going to start the game. You can never be 100 percent sure.”
Lombardo, the offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach as well as the head coach, has to anticipate the types of formations and personnel the Cats have.
“They have a system on defense and Coach (Ryan Franzinger) has been running it for a while,” said Lombardo. “They have multiple fronts, multiple coverages. They do a nice job and they are getting better. They have good players there. They are always stout on the defensive line. They have Sean Martin at corner. He’s an excellent player.”
Certainly, the Wildcats are going to be ready to play.
“It’s one game, one night,” Coach Lombardo said. “They are going to give it all they have and we are going to give it all we have. We have to execute.”
With an expanded roster in the program, Ignatius has the bodies and Franzinger is developing a winning culture in Ohio City.
“They are one of the biggest schools in the state,” Coach Lombardo said. “They have a lot of kids playing. They have good players. They are playing a tough schedule.”
The Eagles needed a game like the 42-6 whacking of River Rouge Saturday, rolling off the tough loss to Massillon the previous week. In some ways, they might have found a way to be good to themselves.
“Not as much (a psychological factor) other than we played well,” Coach said. “We played well in all three phases. Special teams, defense, and offense were all complementing one another. That’s what I was most happy to see. We scored on most of those ways. The defense giot us in good field position and the special teams got us a score. The offense had good scoring drives, and we were efficient in the game.”
The Massillon game excluded, usually big plays on offense and defense gains or perpetuates the momentum of the game.
“We talk about enjoying playing the game,” Lombardo said. “You get to do this one time, enjoy every moment of it, particularly for the ones who are the seniors.”
Franzinger had been groomed to be the head coach upon Chuck Kyle’s eventual retirement, which happened at the end of last season. Kyle was head coach for 40 years, and was good for football in Cleveland, Ohio, and the USA, with 11 state championships and three national titles.
Franzinger’s father, Tim, was a highly successful football and track coach at Rhodes for decades, retiring in the mid-`00s.

The St. Edward freshman QB #10 Lucas can certainly sling it. I haven't seen a lefty in some time. The kid should probably change his number to #12 and get "Snake" as a nickname. 😂
Who knows how any of these kids on either team will turn out, but its fun to see two rivals with what should be bright futures.
And just how many Hadads are there to torture me! 😂

A bit sloppy. Zingers strange 4th down call helped us out big time. Score not telling the whole story IMO, Ignatius is better than what their fans say.

Eagles prevail on all 3 levels ! I’m loving the downward spiral of the wildcats. I don’t think franzinger is the right guy for them but if they wanna keep rolling with it that’s good for us.

glad to the see the offense score some pts , but Ignatius is awful so I won’t take it for much. Hoban and Moe will be big tests coming up!

Nice to see Bullock back at QB. I don't think he ran the ball at all. Throws were good for the most part.

Defense gave up a few big plays. They need to tighten it up.

Offense is sloppy for this stage in the season. Stupid penalties. Down on the goal line they need to bring in Gregory and Slaper, really? That line should be blowing people off the LOS.

Special teams need work. Long kick-off return by Iggy. What's with the Eds kicker and pooch kickoffs? Iggy came close to blocking xps. If the kid had laid out, he would have blocked a few from the left side.

I'm leery about Moeller and Hoban games. Moeller beat Elder pretty handily and Hoban may be the best team in the state. Sorry Massillon.