2023 St. Edward Football

Well they replaced them with a generational player in Logan Thomas. He might not have the sacks
But his play has been outstanding. Game changing
Not sure where defense would be without him. And linebackers. Ed’s only gave up 15 points to massilon. Defense did not play great. If you told me massilon was only scoring 15 points, I would have wondered how many points Ed’s won by.
Would never predicted a loss.

Well they replaced them with a generational player in Logan Thomas. He might not have the sacks
Not sure where defense would be without him. And linebackers. Ed’s only gave up 15 points to massilon. Defense did not play great. If you told me massilon was only scoring 15 points, I would have wondered how many points Ed’s won by.
Thomas is good he’s not generational ……he plays very high and used his athleticism, and his play against the run has been ehh …… he flashes for sure though wish we had him for 4yrs !

Hopefully Lombardo can figure something out on offense my fear is he changes nothing and we just beat teams with our talent going forward and never really mix things up and when we get into a close game we’re still running pistol zone read and sprint out passes.

Thomas is good he’s not generational ……he plays very high and used his athleticism, and his play against the run has been ehh …… he flashes for sure though wish we had him for 4yrs !

Hopefully Lombardo can figure something out on offense my fear is he changes nothing and we just beat teams with our talent going forward and never really mix things up and when we get into a close game we’re still running pistol zone read and sprint out passes.

Agreed on Thomas. The natural length and athleticism are there, but will need to fill out his frame and work on his technique to realize his true potential. That will take place in South Bend rather than Lakewood.

If a new offensive approach is to be implemented, no better time than now over the next three weeks where we should he able to outmatch the opponents on talent alone.

Of the couple of different opinions expressed here about Loghan Thomas, I agree more so with you. Other guys in the scheme are going to have to corral a running quarterback, but he sure takes away the drop back passing game. Unlike the last two years, there's not another guy like him on the other side. Like a lockdown corner who takes away a side of the field, he's almost unblockable and by his presence or the threat of his presence takes away much of his side of the backfield. At the end of his 4 years at Akron U, Jason Taylor was still only 6'6" 225. So I'm guessing he was approximately the same physique as Loghan is now when he started college. But Jason is now in the HOF, having filled out just fine in a way that accentuated his strengths. You can add good weight. Height and that kind of freak twitchiness not so much.

It's hard to adjust to life after Kilbane/Gedeon. Definitely spoiled. I thought Thomas' game against Massillon was his best to date, especially given the disadvantage the three-man front and constant double teams put him in. Poor reads/tackling/angles from the backers and secondary was what plagued the overall defensive performance.

It's hard to adjust to life after Kilbane/Gedeon. Definitely spoiled. I thought Thomas' game against Massillon was his best to date, especially given the disadvantage the three-man front and constant double teams put him in. Poor reads/tackling/angles from the backers and secondary was what plagued the overall defensive performance.
Staying in the 3 man front and even the de standing up some times as if a 2-4 knowing all they were doing was gonna run it was mind boogling…. Idk what coach Pappas was thinking

It made our LBs at a complete disadvantage being 5-7 off the ball and tigers coming down hill at us.

but we have plenty of season left and i trust the staff to make the adjustments and we always seem to peak when it matters most.

I’m sure Massillon would trade a state title for a reg season win anyday.

we got a few weeks to get everything in order before Moe and Hoban and a title run!

Ed’s is lucky Pappas has stayed at Ed’s , it’s easy to look at calls he should have had following week.
In the end pappas defense held massilon ,who has been averaging 50 to 15 points. Dropped balls and a bad turnover from a FIRST time starting quarterback and a close 4th and yard and half.
Otherwise everyone is happy. Back to back tough road games . And going back to Logan Thomas. He is the best player on that defense. And I love love the linebackers and Boone,
If anyone thinks he’s not a game changer, they don’t know football. His presence and speed has been incredible. We are only 5 games into the season. Come back at end of season and tell me I’m wrong.

The Herbies seem to have rebounded nicely after getting trounced at Massillon in week one. They've reeled off 4 straight, including including a rubber match win against Massillon and beating what I hear is a very talented Glenville team. Speaking of which, does anyone know what the deal is with the Glenville "Reserve" team? Is it a combo of freshman and sophomores? Do the Tarblooders even have a JV team these days or just varsity and the reserve team? Freshman Holy War up next and I hear the Cats have a nice freshman class as well.

I happen to know this, yes the reserve team is a mixture of grades. Funny this is first year they don’t call it a freshman team, from my knowledge.
It’s called RESERVE!

Now with that being said
I’m guessing they will have the reserve team play against Ed’s jv Monday. With same reserve team plus about 8/10 senior drop downs.
If I recall Glenville is in senate now.
So starters will be out of game in first half.
So drop a few kids down get some extra reps.

I went to the game. The final was 42-6.

River Rouge had size and speed, but (as we know) that doesn't always translate into success. Rouge had some early success running on St Edward. Yet, they had some unfortunate (for them) fumbles early that put them in a hole and Ed's took advantage of them with fast scores. It's hard to come back and play your game when you find yourself down 21-0 in the 1st quarter because of self-inflicted wounds.

Ed's defense certainly tightened things after giving up a few first downs and Rouge never really threatened for the remainder of the first half.

My first note would be that Ed's puts a lot of pressure on teams who struggle with punting. Many teams just trot out the punter and assume the receiving team will concentrate on not making dumb offside mistakes and not fumble the return. If you think that against St Edward, you can get in trouble fast. Ed's came close to blocking every one of Rouge's 1st half punts and towards the end of the half, when they had Rouge backed up inside Rouge's 5 yard line, sure enough the punt was blocked and Logan Thomas #9 recovered it for a TD.*Note: After seeing the film, Logan Thomas #9 blocked the punt and Troy Regovich #57 recovered it for the TD.

On offense, backup junior QB Thomas Csanyi #12 continues to show promise as a passer. After limited runs against Massillon, today he ran a few more times and showed some ability as runner, but he doesn't have Casey Bullock's #6 (injured) frame or toughness (Csanyi is listed as 25lbs lighter than Bullock). Csanyi had a great throw down the sideline on Ed's first drive that led to a TD. He can definitely sling it, but Ed's offense is still based on a run first approach that will hopefully evolve to take advantage of Csanyi's strengths as a passer. It seems the receivers still need time to acclimate to a pass first approach. Here's hoping Lombardo turns this kid loose, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

My favorite player, Kyan Mason #1, was used sparingly after tweaking an ankle in Massillon. He showed no ill effects when in the game, so I'd assume he'll be fully ready for the Wildcats. Sophomore RB Brandon White #28 was exceptional again. He showed an inside toughness as an "Eric Metcalf type" runner and a great ability to catch passes out of the backfield. The OL played better today. Of course Rouge wasn't Massillon, but they had size and our OL was tested. Josh Groudle #24 was his usual inside battering ram, but the feature run game is now in the hands of sophomore White #28.

On defense Logan Thomas #9 remains the best player on the field. He can pressure from all over the field and can chase down even the most speedy and illusive runners. Eddie Andrews #25 continued his "lunch pail" approach and was very disruptive on both D and special teams. Camrin Boone #2 had a nice interception and return showing great positioning on a play.

Ed's got in some good work today in an effort to put the Massillon loss behind them. Unlike last year, when they had Casey Bullock #6 for the whole year, they still have to transition to Csanyi's #12 strengths. Up next is the Evil Empire, who despite their struggles, always seem to give us fits.

Last edited:
I went to the game. The final was 42-6.

River Rouge had size and speed, but (as we know) that doesn't always translate into success. Rouge had some early success running on St Edward. Yet, they had some unfortunate (for them) fumbles early that put them in a hole and Ed's took advantage of them with fast scores. It's hard to come back and play your game when you find yourself down 21-0 in the 1st quarter because of self-inflicted wounds.

Ed's defense certainly tightened things after giving up a few first downs and Rouge never really threatened for the remainder of the first half.

My first note would be that Ed's puts a lot of pressure on teams who struggle with punting. Many teams just trot out the punter and assume the receiving team will concentrate on not making dumb offside mistakes and not fumble the return. If you think that against St Edward, you can get in trouble fast. Ed's came close to blocking every one of Rouge's 1st half punts and towards the end of the half, when they had Rouge backed up inside Rouge's 5 yard line, sure enough the punt was blocked and Logan Thomas #9 recovered it for a TD.

On offense, backup junior QB Thomas Csanyi #12 continues to show promise as a passer. After limited runs against Massillon, today he ran a few more times and showed some ability as runner, but he doesn't have Casey Bullock's #6 (injured) frame or toughness (Csanyi is listed as 25lbs lighter than Bullock). Csanyi had a great throw down the sideline on Ed's first drive that led to a TD. He can definitely sling it, but Ed's offense is still based on a run first approach that will hopefully evolve to take advantage of Csanyi's strengths as a passer. It seems the receivers still need time to acclimate to a pass first approach. Here's hoping Lombardo turns this kid loose, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

My favorite player, Kyan Mason #1, was used sparingly after tweaking an ankle in Massillon. He showed no ill effects when in the game, so I'd assume he'll be fully ready for the Wildcats. Sophomore RB Brandon White #28 was exceptional again. He showed an inside toughness as an "Eric Metcalf type" runner and a great ability to catch passes out of the backfield. The OL played better today. Of course Rouge wasn't Massillon, but they had size and our OL was tested. Josh Groudle #24 was his usual inside battering ram, but the feature run game is now in the hands of sophomore White #28.

On defense Logan Thomas #9 remains the best player on the field. He can pressure from all over the field and can chase down even the most speedy and illusive runners. Eddie Andrews #25 continued his "lunch pail" approach and was very disruptive on both D and special teams. Camrin Boone #2 had a nice interception and return showing great positioning on a play.

Ed's got in some good work today in an effort to put the Massillon loss behind them. Unlike last year, when they had Casey Bullock #6 for the whole year, they still have to transition to Csanyi's #12 strengths. Up next is the Evil Empire, who despite their struggles, always seem to give us fits.
Right, last year was a nail biter.

if you haven’t watched Iggy this year or the last few weeks, you won’t know how bad the cats are. They can’t score. The offense runs 4 plays.

Right, last year was a nail biter.

if you haven’t watched Iggy this year or the last few weeks, you won’t know how bad the cats are. They can’t score. The offense runs 4 plays.
You’ll excuse me for being worried about Ignatius as an Eds alumnus. It’s in our DNA to worry. There were times in the early 2000s where I knew we had the better team and we found a way to loose.

You’ll excuse me for being worried about Ignatius as an Eds alumnus. It’s in our DNA to worry. There were times in the early 2000s where I knew we had the better team and we found a way to loose.
Trust me, it's bad. Really really bad. Unless you are scoring negative points, you have nothing to worry about. The coaching staff is doing the kids no favors, have seen no fire from coaches either. When a 70 plus year old shows more fire, Houston, we have a problem. Also more penalties than I have seen in decades. A combo made in hell

Logan Thomas was a monster again. He had blocked punt led to recovered TD. Defense was outstanding as a unit. But watch Logan he’s everywhere. Dare I say ,a future Sunday player.
Linebackers and cam Boone also both outstanding
As was Eddie andrews. But Logan Thomas is incredible.

I'm wondering with the Massillon issue at QB if the OHSAA makes them forfeit their first 5 games. There wasn't a whole lot of detail in the paper, but from what I read on the transfer by-laws, I think a release form needed to be approved by the OHSAA. I don't know if the release was sitting on the OHSAA desk, or if the form was never submitted to the OHSAA.

I'm wondering with the Massillon issue at QB if the OHSAA makes them forfeit their first 5 games. There wasn't a whole lot of detail in the paper, but from what I read on the transfer by-laws, I think a release form needed to be approved by the OHSAA.
Doubtful. A student can participate the first half of the season without OHSAA approval.

I don't know if the release was sitting on the OHSAA desk, or if the form was never submitted to the OHSAA.
Neither does anyone else -- but one might reasonably suspect that Massillon is very familiar with the transfer approval process and would have submitted the paperwork.

Did he play last Friday? Or did he sit? That would be very telling
He sat -- but that doesn't really tell you anything, as they would've forfeited if he played. You might remember that OHSAA did the same thing a couple of years ago: suddenly questioning the eligibility of a couple of players more than a year after they transferred. Those players were cleared -- after being forced to sit out a game.

He sat -- but that doesn't really tell you anything, as they would've forfeited if he played. You might remember that OHSAA did the same thing a couple of years ago: suddenly questioning the eligibility of a couple of players more than a year after they transferred. Those players were cleared -- after being forced to sit out a game.
wash, rinse, repeat.

Yes but still , must be some evidence if your going to make a kid sit. Not saying he won’t be cleared

Back dating rental agreements. Or just getting rental or house purchase agreement. Something has to smell fishy. Not saying it won’t work out for the young man. Funny they looking into this one school. When I know of others doing probably much worse. OHSAA just open the portals because some get away with it. Others don’t. Can’t pick winners and losers

Personally, I don't want any forfeit "wins" that weren't won on the field. As far as I'm concerned, Massillon (and especially Owens) beat us fair and square on the field. We had no answer for Owens. In my view he's a young man who doesn't deserve to be dragged through the internet mud (to the extent he may feel that) just because he transferred to the school of his choice. I know the Ed's players very much respect him.

As for Ed's losing to Massillon, sure, we could play the "our starting QB was hurt and didn't play" card, but not me. Unless you're the '72 Dolphins, even the best teams lose over the course of a season. Massillon always tests us and makes us end up playing better down the stretch. So I never cry about losing to them. We may get knocked off in our attempt to get to Canton for the third straight season, but Massillon made us better for that run. And we make them better too!

And those criticizing Massillon should remember the Frankie Edmunds saga. I don't recall the year, but a certain school challenged a win when he simply handled a kickoff as a sophomore. Ed's had to forfeit a bunch of games because of an eligibility issue. We had to go into the playoffs as an 8th seed (or something like that). We didn't win anything that year, but it was because we lost on the field. Not because of anything else. I don't know all the rules and requirements, but Owens is just a kid who should be allowed ro play. But that's just my opinion.

Last edited:
This once "great rivalry" is no longer a "great rivalry" on the gridiron. Ed's can pretty much name the score. And it's a shame. When they are both state title contenders, this game is as good as any. It's not called "The Holy War" for nothing. But it's not that at all now. More like "The Bully beatdown". Or "The big brothern beatdown".

Personally, I don't want any forfeit "wins" that weren't won on the field. As far as I'm concerned, Massillon (and especially Owens) beat us fair and square on the field. We had no answer for Owens. In my view he's a young man who doesn't deserve to be dragged through the internet mud (to the extent he may feel that) just because he transferred to the school of his choice. I know the Ed's players very much respect him.

As for Ed's losing to Massillon, sure, we could play the "our starting QB was hurt and didn't play" card, but not me. Unless you're the '72 Dolphins, even the best teams lose over the course of a season. Massillon always tests us and makes us end up playing better down the stretch. So I never cry about losing to them. We may get knocked off in our attempt to get to Canton for the third straight season, but Massillon made us better for that run. And we make them better too!

And those criticizing Massillon should remember the Frankie Edmunds saga. I don't recall the year, but a certain school challenged a win when he simply handled a kickoff as a sophomore. Ed's had to forfeit a bunch of games because of an eligibility issue. We had to go into the playoffs as an 8th seed (or something like that). We didn't win anything that year, but it was because we lost on the field. Not because of anything else. I don't know all the rules and requirements, but Owens is just a kid who should be allowed ro play. But that's just my opinion.
I believe that was 2005 or 2006. He transferred from Cleveland Rhodes. Forfeited 4 games bc he played a kickoff return as a sophomore in a blowout win. They beat a loaded St. X team that year which ended up as a forfeit.

The Herbies seem to have rebounded nicely after getting trounced at Massillon in week one. They've reeled off 4 straight, including including a rubber match win against Massillon and beating what I hear is a very talented Glenville team. Speaking of which, does anyone know what the deal is with the Glenville "Reserve" team? Is it a combo of freshman and sophomores? Do the Tarblooders even have a JV team these days or just varsity and the reserve team? Freshman Holy War up next and I hear the Cats have a nice freshman class as well.

I happen to know this, yes the reserve team is a mixture of grades. Funny this is first year they don’t call it a freshman team, from my knowledge.
It’s called RESERVE!

Now with that being said
I’m guessing they will have the reserve team play against Ed’s jv Monday. With same reserve team plus about 8/10 senior drop downs.
If I recall Glenville is in senate now.
So starters will be out of game in first half.
So drop a few kids down get some extra reps.
It’s a regular Freshman team with one Sophomore OL. Every single offensive skill player and starting player on D is a Freshman. #8 is also a Freshman. Our JV doesn’t have any seniors, we bring up the Freshman team, add 2 more Soph OL, 2 Soph WR and a few Soph defensive players. I’ve never seen the term “Reserve team” on any docs, Hudl, or communication from the staff. But I like your idea better, we could use some more experienced OL on the Fr. squad.