2023 Dead Celebrities/Athletes

Commander Tom, aka Tom Jolls, 89. This one is personal and a bit maudlin, the news actually brought tears to my eyes.

in 1965 Jolls became a popular Buffalo TV weatherman on WKBW-TV channel 7, and also hosted a children's cartoon show every afternoon starting that year.. It was the mid-60's, the space race was on, and I loved anything to do with rockets and space. Commander Tom's uniform jacket was actually that of a Canadian mounties, but we pretended he was on a space ship. And channel 7 had a sister show in the morning called Rocketship 7. Buffalo was a great place for a kid to live if he was a TV junkie.

We'd visit my cousins there 3 or 4 times each year, and I'd park myself in front of the TV each day when I visited. Nothing existed during that time except the Commander, his sidekicks, and the 'toons.

"Commander Tom" retired in 1992 after 27 years of service, and Tom Jolls ended his career of 34 years as weatherman in 1999. Amazingly, he was part of three-person news-sports-weather team who stayed together every evening for 24 years.

Last edited:

Attachments

• ECEE85A1-6E9D-419B-BFB6-ABCEC4F7A703.jpeg
    ECEE85A1-6E9D-419B-BFB6-ABCEC4F7A703.jpeg
    194 KB · Views: 30
He goes back. I recall really liking "Hair" when I was a kid. Watched it again last year and... 🤷

Cormac McCarthy, the celebrated American author known for such works as "The Road," "No Country For Old Men," and "All the Pretty Horses," has died at the age of 89.

Some of his stuff can be hard to read, but No Country for Old Men was fairly easy

UPDATE: Adam Rich died from an accidental fentanyl overdose in January, according to an autopsy report from the LA County Medical Examiner-Coroner.

Rich’s bloodstream also had what was termed nontoxic levels of alcohol and the generic version of Ativan, called lorazepam.

Adam Rich played the youngest child on Eight is Enough

UPDATE: Adam Rich died from an accidental fentanyl overdose in January, according to an autopsy report from the LA County Medical Examiner-Coroner.

Rich’s bloodstream also had what was termed nontoxic levels of alcohol and the generic version of Ativan, called lorazepam.

Adam Rich played the youngest child on Eight is Enough
Weird that I read this today because I was trying to remember when Adam Rich died to add him to the list on the post of Celebrities that Died Before Age 50. But learned in my query he was actually 54. 😳 Still a strange coincidence, but shocking how much time has flown by. Sigh.

Sam Cutler, tour manager for the Rolling Stones & Grateful Dead:

Was one of the first guys that developed the modern concert tour industry with the '69 Stones tour of the USA. The Stones tried to make him the scapegoat for Altamont and the Dead hired him the next day.

Comedian Ron Sexton, known to most as Donnie Baker, passed this weekend at the age of 52. One of my favorites from the Bob and Tom Show.

Another article:

Sinéad O’Connor, gifted and provocative Irish singer, dies at 56​

Sinéad O’Connor, the gifted Irish singer-songwriter who became a superstar in her mid-20s but was known as much for her private struggles and provocative actions as for her fierce and expressive music, has died at 56.

“It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of our beloved Sinéad. Her family and friends are devastated and have requested privacy at this very difficult time,” the singer’s family said in a statement reported Wednesday by the BBC and RTE. No cause was disclosed. O’Connor had publicly struggled with mental health in recent years.

Recognizable by her shaved head and elfin features, O’Connor began her career singing on the streets of Dublin and soon rose to international fame. She was a star from her 1987 debut album “The Lion and the Cobra” and became a sensation in 1990 with her cover of Prince’s ballad “Nothing Compares 2 U,” a seething, shattering performance that topped charts from Europe to Australia and was heightened by a promotional video featuring the gray-eyed O’Connor in intense close-up.

IMO, “Nothing Compares 2 U” is one of the greatest songs ever recorded.

I think Sinead could have been a great artist, she had one of those clear Irish soprano voices that can tug at your heart with the right tune. But her out put was uneven and she made some very dumb career choices. The entire Pope thing was not a good move but worse was her showing up a few days later at a Dylan tribute and signing a Bob Marley tune?!? If Johnny Cash & George Harrison could perform a Dylan song I think that Sinead could have found something in the catalog to sing. Many thought she deserved to be booed off including Madonna.

Another article:

Sinéad O’Connor, gifted and provocative Irish singer,​

IMO, “Nothing Compares 2 U” is one of the greatest songs ever recorded.
I was, and still am, a HUGE Prince and Minneapolis Sound fan. Especially in the 80s. Prince's project band " The Family" initially sung Nothing Compares 2 U" in '85. I truly feels that rendition is better. However if you were to hear it for the 1st time today you wouldn't agree since you're already used to Sineads version