2023 Dead Celebrities/Athletes

Wow. I had no idea Braugher played Jackie Robinson in the court martial movie. Remember watching the original broadcast because I'd never heard about his military career. Great movie, made me go out and read a few books afterward.

Never watched "Homicide", but I liked the crossover L&O episode "Charm City" where his character comes to NYC chasing a suspect in a Baltimore subway bombings. The friction between him and Det. Curtis gave that episode a lot of depth.

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — George McGinnis, a Hall of Fame forward who was a two-time ABA champion and three-time All-Star in the NBA and ABA, died Thursday. He was 73.
I loved watching that 76ers team with a cast of colorful characters: McGinnis, Dr. J, World B. Free, Caldwell Jones, Jellybean Bryant, Doug Collins, Henry Bibby, etc.

But I had to root against them in the finals with Portland. I loved Bill Walton, but more importantly they had Johnny Davis, a University of Dayton Flyer!

RIP George McGinnis

"many will remember him for his ferocious portrayal as Detective Frank Pembleton in the NBC drama Homicide: Life on the Street. Put him in the box, sweating out and outsmarting crime suspects in the interrogation room, and you were looking at a weekly dose of tour de force acting, as good as it got on television during that period of time."
lung cancer: reported today.

I loved watching that 76ers team with a cast of colorful characters: McGinnis, Dr. J, World B. Free, Caldwell Jones, Jellybean Bryant, Doug Collins, Henry Bibby, etc.

But I had to root against them in the finals with Portland. I loved Bill Walton, but more importantly they had Johnny Davis, a University of Dayton Flyer!

RIP George McGinnis
Of all the colorful characters of the Sixers you didn't mention the most colorfulest one. Chocolate Thunder AKA Darryl Dawkins

Three fantastic actors at the top of their craft:
Loved him in Glory and Homicide, but the following scene in Tuskegee Airmen (with former Buchtel Griffin John Lithgow playing the antagonist) is probably my favorite.

"many will remember him for his ferocious portrayal as Detective Frank Pembleton in the NBC drama Homicide: Life on the Street. Put him in the box, sweating out and outsmarting crime suspects in the interrogation room, and you were looking at a weekly dose of tour de force acting, as good as it got on television during that period of time."
So, the only thing for which I remember him was his role in Salt. I've never even heard of Homicide: Life on the Street until I read this post. Furthermore, to illustrate my disconnect to the world, he may have the most memorial posts on this thread and I hadn't seen any of the TV shows/movies listed by all of you. 🤷‍♂️ Sigh. It's okay, though, none of these celebrities know me either. 😛

Not so fast...

Matthew Perry, the “Friends” actor who publicly struggled with drinking and drug use for decades, died from “the acute effects of ketamine,” the Los Angeles County Medical Examiner said in an autopsy report that was released on Friday, months after he was found dead at his home.
Sad but not surprising. Ketamine though? Maybe I am out of the loop, but ketamine would not have been on top of my list of drugs he may have ODed on...fentanyl, heroin, morphine, methadone, crack, coke, benzos, opioids, alcohol, etc. seem more likely.

Sad but not surprising. Ketamine though? Maybe I am out of the loop, but ketamine would not have been on top of my list of drugs he may have ODed on...fentanyl, heroin, morphine, methadone, crack, coke, benzos, opioids, alcohol, etc. seem more likely.

Sounds like it can be used to treat depression.

Yes, it is used as a prescribed and closely monitored anti-depressant. It is properly used in a medical facility under direct monitoring and supervision. Unfortunately, it can be abused and when it is has side effects of dizziness, slow breathing and cardiac issues. I have a close friend who has been treated with it for depression and it can be helpful.

Full list with 10 days left in 2023:

I would think there are still some more to come. Actually in the mortuary business the week after Christmas is their busiest of the year, a lot of folks say their good byes over the holidays and then anything artificially used to keep someone going is phased out.

Tom Smothers, 86.

1703700203514.png

I was too young to realize how controversial and edgy the Smothers Brothers TV show was back then and how it pushed the TV censors buttons. I just knew it was funny and I liked it. The controversial political stuff went over my head. After just a couple years it was cancelled because of this and replaced by Hee Haw.

I was too young to realize how controversial and edgy the Smothers Brothers TV show was back then and how it pushed the TV censors buttons. I just knew it was funny and I liked it. The controversial political stuff went over my head. After just a couple years it was cancelled because of this and replaced by Hee Haw.
Looking back, I don't know if the censorship claim was to promote ratings or if it was real, but like you said it was funny with great musical guests.

Which is interesting, because Rowan & Martin's Laugh In was slotted against Hee Haw, yes?

As I recall, Laugh In had its own edginess - though not as much as SBs.

RIP