2023 Dead Celebrities/Athletes

Singer Gordon Lightfoot passed away at age 84

I've always been something of a fan of how Texas teaches its school-aged kids to be Texans, with the focus on The Alamo. I think elementary school students in the Great Lakes region should be taught the history (1812, OH Perry, the Seaway, Niagara Falls, the power that comes with FRESH WATER, etc.) and focus it around Lightfoot's epic song about the sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

I've always been something of a fan of how Texas teaches its school-aged kids to be Texans, with the focus on The Alamo. I think elementary school students in the Great Lakes region should be taught the history (1812, OH Perry, the Seaway, Niagara Falls, the power that comes with FRESH WATER, etc.) and focus it around Lightfoot's epic song about the sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Nah, it's more important to teach them why Johnny has two dads, and guide them through their decision on what sex they REALLY are.

Nah, it's more important to teach them why Johnny has two dads, and guide them through their decision on what sex they REALLY are.
Why you're not really worth talking to...you make an effort to talk about something that gets people out of the rut...nah, I think I'll just stay in the rut I'm in...

A classic Lightfoot song. Great Lakes Brewing Co makes an outstanding Porter called Edmund Fitzgerald. It is indeed, another tribute to the fallen crew.

A classic Lightfoot song. Great Lakes Brewing Co makes an outstanding Porter called Edmund Fitzgerald. It is indeed, another tribute to the fallen crew.
Yes…I had one those a few years back with the son of one of the deceased crew members…a fair number of the 29 were from NEO and NWO.

Captain was from Toledo. First and 2nd mates were from Cleveland western suburbs…11 more from Ohio.

Yes…I had one those a few years back with the son of one of the deceased crew members…a fair number of the 29 were from NEO and NWO.

Captain was from Toledo. First and 2nd mates were from Cleveland western suburbs…11 more from Ohio.

The captain and 6 others were from Toledo. When they say Superior never "gives up her dead" it is because the lake is so deep and cold that bodies do not decompose, and therefore do not bloat and return to the surface. On one of the submarine visits they did find a couple of the bodies, one just outside the pilot house door. Although no one really knows if it broke on the surface or at the bottom, people familiar know it broke apart once hitting the bottom. Being the last haul of the season, the "Fitz" was due for heavy maintenance. Most of these boats have stress fractures and breaks throughout them. In fact, back in the day the crew would drive wooden wedges into any fractures to stop flooding. The thought is she grounded on a shoal and was taking on water and doomed from that point forward. The SS Arthur Anderson was trailing by roughly 7 miles. The last communication between Fitzgerald Captain Ernest McSorley and the Anderson Captain Bernie Cooper was as follows.

"I have a bad list, lost a fence rail, a couple vents, and both radars, and am taking heavy seas over the deck. One of the worst seas I've ever been in. We are holding our own."

Cooper surmised that the Fitz was taking on water to their starboard side due to bottoming out on the shoal, bogged down and heavy, and was hit by several rogue waves (higher than the 35-40 footers the storm was regularly producing) and was simply swamped and kept going down. It would also explain the lack of distress call or life rafts being deployed. It happened quick and unexpectedly. The Anderson was hit by several rogue waves after the last transmission with the Fitz.

Bernie Cooper's own words.

Actual Bernie Cooper radio transmissions from that night.

The Arthur Anderson is still plying the Great Lakes.

Last edited:
Two lessor known but major shipwrecks where people amazingly survived. Both of these ships broke in half during bad November storms (Gaels of November).

Dennis Hale survived 40 hours on a frigid Lake Huron on an old life RAFT (not boat) wearing just boxers and a pea coat. Amazing story.

Frank Mayes story is amazing as well. He is one of two who survived 15 hours on a life RAFT on a frigid Lake Michigan.

Type of life raft these men survived on.

Life%20Raft_1510846486572_11718416_ver1.0.PNG

Last edited:
Great stuff Irish…my daughters rowed amongst some of these massive ships on the Cuyahoga. They both rowed on the east coast in college…on the famous rivers (Charles-Boston, Schuykill-Philly), but both said rowing on the Cuyahoga was easily more interesting…a lot of it to do with it being a working river and boats the size of the EF nearby.

The story of this ship going down is just a reminder of what big…and beautiful…and dangerous waters are The Great Lakes.

Great stuff Irish…my daughters rowed amongst some of these massive ships on the Cuyahoga. They both rowed on the east coast in college…on the famous rivers (Charles-Boston, Schuykill-Philly), but both said rowing on the Cuyahoga was easily more interesting…a lot of it to do with it being a working river and boats the size of the EF nearby.

The story of this ship going down is just a reminder of what big…and beautiful…and dangerous waters are The Great Lakes.

We stood on the bridge throwing snowballs and rocks down the stacks. Kind of the same thing.

Great voice, great legs and, by all accounts, a fine lady. I have always been a fan of Ike Turner who ushered in Rock 'n' Roll in 1951 with Rocket 88, but hated how he reportedly treated his wife, Tina.

Requiescat in Pace Tina.

SayMyName is ultimate peaked in high school energy. Cracking on someone for admiring Tina freaking Turner.

My favorite Tina Tuner video (and song) that nobody remembers:

And the lovely Laura Winslow as Tina: