2020 Presidential Race

Prop Joe

I would venture a guess few people here have ever actually run into someone demanding they be called "Xir" or angry because you misgendered them. I know you would think it's daily fact of life if you spent most of your time on the internet, but twitter ≠ real life.

Similarly, I doubt many trans people have run into those who refuse to call them him/her when politely asked.

Other than SingleWhiteMale it seems like everyone is pretty much on the same page here of "just be a decent person."

SWMCinci

….
Just quit b**ching, be a good person, and do your part to make someone feel a little better about themselves. It’s not hard, I promise you.
My job is not to make crazy people seem sane. I have no problem being kind to people that are people, I have a problem being kind to people that are stark raving nuts. Maybe if someone had told the El Paso or Dayton shooters they were nuts there'd be fewer dead people.

SWMCinci

I would venture a guess few people here have ever actually run into someone demanding they be called "Xir" or angry because you misgendered them. …...
Actually it is happening on college campuses today. They get emotionally upset when you can't control your laughter when they insist. It doesn't get any better when you accurately predict their major.

OhioBobcatFan06

I agree- my only concern is when the parent of a toddler insists on their child being a different gender and starting medical intervention at a very young age.
Agreed don’t really want to see government telling people how they raise their kids but I will just say I don’t respect people deciding their baby “identifies” as something other than their biological sex. That’s the parent looking for attention... in reality the kid has no clue at that age

BlueJayFan

My job is not to make crazy people seem sane. I have no problem being kind to people that are people, I have a problem being kind to people that are stark raving nuts. Maybe if someone had told the El Paso or Dayton shooters they were nuts there'd be fewer dead people.
You must be a riot at parties. And now we’ve gotten to comparing referring to people with how they identify to a psychopath who gunned down innocent civilians.

It costs you nothing to be nice. It is a simple request from someone and calling them what they want can make a big difference in someone’s happiness and self esteem.

Just don’t be an a**hole. Again, it’s not hard. Like at all...

BlueJayFan

Actually it is happening on college campuses today. They get emotionally upset when you can't control your laughter when they insist. It doesn't get any better when you accurately predict their major.
I was literally in college in the last decade and came across 0 people who insisted on I call them anything other than he/she/them. When’s the last time you were on a college campus for an extended period of time?

y2h

Both sides of the spectrum pick and choose "science" as it suits their agenda. If it fits their partisan view it's undeniably and infallibly good, and if it doesn't fit the partisan view it's junk or the data doesn't paint the complete picture.

I have little doubt that in the future it will be undeniable that genetic mutation/abnormality plays a significant role in sexual orientation/gender identity on a sliding scale, with environmental factors being on a sliding scale as a determinant as well. Outside of extreme cases I tend to think it has to be mostly if not entirely biology. There are far easier ways to draw attention to yourself than chopping your dik off or flamingly proclaiming that you're scissoring or top/bottoming with another dude. All of that is so far outside of the accepted societal and social norm that outside of biological triggering you'd have to have extreme environmental or mental illness factors to rationalize it internally. There's no way that biology doesn't account for the overwhelming majority of it, the same as the typical male biological desire to stud as many women as possible.
Its mental illness.

BlueJayFan

I don’t think simply telling someone to be a nice person can be considered a meltdown.

I think going on and on about about how someone refuses to be a good person because of how it affects them is a meltdown though.

y2h

Is it really that hard just to call someone what they want to be called? 😭

If someone changes their name, are y’all gonna continue to call them by their old name?

Just be a decent human being and make someone else happy.
So facts dont matter?

y2h

Is it really that hard to just be what you are? Why can't I just call them what I want to call them?

If someone changes their name they actually changed it. Wanting to be called something you aren't seems crazy.

Once someone lops off their junk and grows breasts and becomes "female" I will call them by their new sex. I wouldn't want to date them or have sex with them but they become their new sex.

I've reached the point that my job is NOT to make someone else happy, if they want to make me happy they can be less weird. Decent human beings don't support crazy, they try to help people understand the truth.
They'll never be female. Still a he playing dress up.

y2h

“But what about ME!!!!!” Just be a good ****ing person and make them happy.

Someone who changes their name has likely been going by that name for quite some time. Do you ignore that name and refuse to refer to them as it?

Just quit b**ching, be a good person, and do your part to make someone feel a little better about themselves. It’s not hard, I promise you.
So if a white man decides to start identifying as a black man or an Asian man you have to play along right?

Elizabeth Warren is full blood Indian right?

y2h

Forced speech is not free speech, if we Americans aren't careful, we are going to be dealing with the government overreach being encouraged in Canada regarding free speech.

Exactly the point. It's not about being a nice person. It's about demanding society validate you by government decree.

SWMCinci

I was literally in college in the last decade and came across 0 people who insisted on I call them anything other than he/she/them. When’s the last time you were on a college campus for an extended period of time?
about 8 months ago. it happened to have been around the same time as the campus orgs were doing their awareness/recruiting. Apparently today's SGA at public colleges have a whole lot more student money to pass around than they did 40 years ago.

winbypin

Them? Unless they are Siamese twins "them" isn't an option for an individual.

Kballer

I’ve been on dozens of college recruiting visits in the last few years and all of the campus tour guides introduced themselves with preferred pronouns and usually include them in their social media bios as well as all correspondence. Majority were traditional “him/her” but not all. Even 5 years ago this wasn’t wide spread, now it is the norm from what I have seen.

cabezadecaballo

You hang around a lot of college campuses SingleWhiteMale?

An acquaintance talked about going to a blues fest in Kent, and commented, "Well, I guess I'm going to 'be' a professor again this Saturday. I stopped being able to pass as a grad student a few years ago.". Maybe I actually do know SWMCinci irl ?

Somebody did catch him flexing an alt ID in here a few years back :unsure:

cabezadecaballo

You must be a riot at parties. And now we’ve gotten to comparing referring to people with how they identify to a psychopath who gunned down innocent civilians.

It costs you nothing to be nice. It is a simple request from someone and calling them what they want can make a big difference in someone’s happiness and self esteem.

Just don’t be an a**hole. Again, it’s not hard. Like at all...

We have no reason to fluff these people. They can play their whacky game on their own. We have 0 obligation to honor their psychoses.

Personally, I will tell them to f__k off very nicely. Can't speak for SWMC

cabezadecaballo

Forced speech is not free speech, if we Americans aren't careful, we are going to be dealing with the government overreach being encouraged in Canada regarding free speech.

Just a bunch of self-indulgent little dumb-azzes trying to feel "empowered" by turning even basic nature on it's ear.

cabezadecaballo

about 8 months ago. it happened to have been around the same time as the campus orgs were doing their awareness/recruiting. Apparently today's SGA at public colleges have a whole lot more student money to pass around than they did 40 years ago.

Just another set of activist dorks trying to push the envelope. Like a judge that wants nothing more than to have a published decision become precedent. Ego-driven stupidity.

SWMCinci

An acquaintance talked about going to a blues fest in Kent, and commented, "Well, I guess I'm going to 'be' a professor again this Saturday. I stopped being able to pass as a grad student a few years ago.". Maybe I actually do know SWMCinci irl ?
……...
Last time I was in Kent my son was being recruited, about 10 years ago. I haven't been able to pass for a grad student for 25 years.

Qcity

I'm not mean about it, just laugh at the silliness. Of course in today's society not acquiescing to stupidity is probably mean.

Yep.

The radical left has gone insane, and we are supposed to follow suit ................. hilarious.