2019 St. Ignatius Wildcats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Restifo has to go. Question is, is he guaranteed to remain on as long as he wants to while Kyle is coaching?

I just see zero effort to not be predictable.

They catch on to Welsch and you dont try some misdirection?

Cmiel is a threat but isnt utilized truly on that side of the ball. Back to back weeks you see how he can break a screen for example, and you throw maybe 1 a week?

When you need to press the gas, you dont. When you need to go slow and try to shorten the game, you do the opposite.

I dont get it.
The guy sitting next to me at the Mentor game had a good line:

"If you went to Half Price Books and found an Ignatius playbook from the 1990s, you would see that they are running the same plays today."

The guy sitting next to me at the Mentor game had a good line:

"If you went to Half Price Books and found an Ignatius playbook from the 1990s, you would see that they are running the same plays today."

While I agree the playcalling is terrible at times, Ignatius is NOT running some of the great plays that would still be successful.

In particular, the TE over the middle, behind the LBs. You have a 6'5 TE now and they run digs with him

Blocking schemes are also drastically different now - 100% zone blocking. And probably haven’t run a play under center in 5+ years.

The other Hoban RB looked great as well (#23 or #33). Ignatius passing game and overall play calling looked better than the Varsity.

Mark Ruddy is calling the plays.

Would like to see him calling plays for the Varsity.

Yes Hoban's other RB #33 was outstanding.

What changes were made in the second half of the Hoban game, which led to the huge comeback:

Most notably, 11-time state champion Offensive Coordinator Nick Restifo handed over the playbook to his quarterback.
“He made playcalls,” Restifo said after the game. “We practiced it, but he made the playcalls and he made the plays. He deserves a lot of credit.”

Having seen some comments that that was one of the best games in Ignatius history (and agreeing, given that 25 points was the largest comeback (second half comeback?) in the program's 106 years), I'm inspired to list a few of my favorites that definitely belong in the Pantheon.

Wins
2008 vs. Glenville, 8-7 (second round at Lakewood, rematch of a great game that was a season-opening loss)
2002 vs. Massillon, 29-21 (Anthony Gonzalez's performance was reminiscent of Cmiel's vs. Mentor)
2001 vs. Warren Harding, 40-33

Losses
2012 vs. Mentor, 57-56, 3OT
1998 vs. Canton McKinley (the Pete Koch catch:
)
1997 vs. Canton McKinley (just watch it here:
)

The demise of so many QBs in the NFL this early in the season has proven benefical to second string QBs. Ignatius' own Flyin' Brian has left his clipboard in New England while keeping his Super Bowl ring and has signed with the Colts in what has been reported to be a 3-year 15 million contract, with 9 million of that guaranteed.

Looks like Loyola lost tonight 14-17. Hoban beat up on future opponent West Toronto, so that's a scratch.

Future opponents: Football North beat Lorain; Rockledge beat Viera; Moeller lost big to Winton Woods; and Xavier beat Indy Cathedral (and as mentioned above, West Toronto lost to Hoban). St. Edward plays tomorrow.

How long has it been since the cats had a zero on the scoreboard? That's gonna be a quiet bus ride back
Last shutout I remember was 0-31 against Mentor in ‘03... The haven’t been worked this bad though since the ‘15 game against Jabril Peppers and Paramus Catholic. At least they scored in that one though.

No way the coaches didn't have any inclination this type of game was possible based on the opponent and the tough last 2 games.

Rough start that got compounded by the lack of offense and inability to convert on 3rd downs. Not sure if it was just the formations that DeMatha was operating out of that drew the safeties up, but once those RB's got past the Ignatius LB's there was no one at the next level to stop them. Just a bunch of foot races that there was no chance of winning. First two offensive series for the Wildcats were a disaster. Snap into the motion man resulting in a turnover in their own territory and then a terrible throw into double coverage for an INT. After those awful first couple series, the defense settled in for most of the first half, forcing punts on maybe the next 4 or 5 DeMatha possessions. But the offense simply didn't come to play. That can certainly be attributed to an athletic DeMatha defense, but what happened to the hurry-up offense last week that mounted a second half comeback against Hoban? And once Hanna went down late in the first half it was all over. French may be the future, but there was no chance he could come in at that point in the game against a team like this and compete.

Last shutout I remember was 0-31 against Mentor in ‘03... The haven’t been worked this bad though since the ‘15 game against Jabril Peppers and Paramus Catholic. At least they scored in that one though.

Cats were last shutout by St X: 17-0 in 2006 and 22-0 in 2005. Before that Mentor in 2003 and St. Joe's in 1991
The Cats were worked over by Philly St. Joe Prep and D'Andre Swift in 2015 (35-6), Paramus and Peppers was in 2013 (44-10)

Status
Not open for further replies.