2019 St. Ignatius Wildcats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Offense figured it our, shifted to shorter passing game and has laid dividends. Special teams and defense playing well. Wasnt expecting this score, but we will take it in this gauntlet

As I guessed, (one of) the best of Ohio trumps (one of) the best of Illinois. Good win for the Cats. The next few weeks are tough, but if they start 2-2 through four games, they are in good enough shape.

Weird to see both QBs chucking the ball all over the place and not one pass interfence call. Big difference in the game was the two Loyola turnovers in the second half that led to Ignatius TDs.

Of the 40 or so soccer players sitting on their asses during the games, there must be at least one who can put the ball in the endzone.

A few comments: Ignatius kicking game might be the worst in years. The punter has to learn not to put backspin on his kicks. The place kicker was unable to put it in the endzone -- his only kick led to a 50-yard return. Now, a very nitpicking point. Before they assign the broadcasting team, they should be required to take an extensive test on the rules of high school football. Way too often, they do not know what's transpiring on the field.
Your comment about the broadcasting team is kind of unnecessary. Seems harsh to me. I enjoy the KIDS doing the announcing and hope they have fun. Just be glad you can watch and listen.

Your comment about the broadcasting team is kind of unnecessary. Seems harsh to me. I enjoy the KIDS doing the announcing and hope they have fun. Just be glad you can watch and listen.

Likewise. They do a great job. Some schools hire adults to do the broadcasting that the students should do. And many of those adults become frustrated coaches or insufferable homers.

Likewise. They do a great job. Some schools hire adults to do the broadcasting that the students should do. And many of those adults become frustrated coaches or insufferable homers.
OK, so you're talking about the Ed's announcers. But the Ignatius announcers make so many elementary mistakes that I wonder if they had ever watched a football game.

OK, so you're talking about the Ed's announcers. But the Ignatius announcers make so many elementary mistakes that I wonder if they had ever watched a football game.

I'm not referring to the Ed's announcers exclusively. Two of the three kids are new, as one of the main sports announcers is on the team. They probably shouldn't speculate so much, but they do fine. Perhaps you'd rather not have the luxury of seeing the game, or, just turn off the sound.

I did turn off the sound in the first quarter when the ref crossed his arms and signaled to Loyola. The announcer said that Ignatius had taken the time out because the ref had pointed to the Ignatius offensive endzone. How could anyone who had ever seen a football game make that mistake? Whoever "hires" those announcers should make them read one of the books on the history of Ignatius football, and also read a rule book about what the significance of a ref's signals mean.

I did turn off the sound in the first quarter when the ref crossed his arms and signaled to Loyola. The announcer said that Ignatius had taken the time out because the ref had pointed to the Ignatius offensive endzone. How could anyone who had ever seen a football game make that mistake? Whoever "hires" those announcers should make them read one of the books on the history of Ignatius football, and also read a rule book about what the significance of a ref's signals mean.

Fine, so a 16 yr old made a mistake. Let's move on.

Fine, so a 16 yr old made a mistake. Let's move on.
The first of many. While I was listening I never heard them mention Coach Kyle once. They probably didn't know the Ignatius coach was. These kids were admitted to Ignatius, so I assume they have brains in their heads. From today's broadcast, you never would have known that.

The first of many. While I was listening I never heard them mention Coach Kyle once. They probably didn't know the Ignatius coach was. These kids were admitted to Ignatius, so I assume they have brains in their heads. From today's broadcast, you never would have known that.

Jesus, give it up already. You must get your jollies by trashing high school kids. if you are that bothered, write a letter complaining about the incompetence of the kids doing the first game of the year. I'm sure everyone will care about your opinion. Just don't bother listening, but be content with your perfect life.

I think there's a lot to be encouraged by as a Wildcat fan.

First, the defense's ability to withstand the first two possessions starting in their own territory (and the third just beyond the 50) and only giving up three points.

Second, the offense's ability to settle in after three three-and-outs to open the game.

Third, the emergence of two backs aside from Welcsh that will get him more of his snaps defensively.

Fourth, the QBs' ability to spread the ball around and incorporate targets aside from Cmiel.

They drove four hours, played well enough to win in convincing fashion but poorly enough that there's a lot to focus on this week in practice and prepare for a team that's got to feel really good coming off of a win that all but assures them of a home game in the playoffs. If 2-2 was the target after four games, the Cats are in decent position to be two weeks ahead of schedule. Also, the Cats team I watched yesterday can certainly beat the DeMatha team that I watched vs. Bosco.

Also, a free student-run broadcast doesn't owe anyone anything. I'm sure these young men are proud and want to get better because they want to get better. I'm confident they will get better. My suggestion to them is that they say the time remaining more frequently, especially in the fourth quarter, given there's no clock on the scorebug.

I think there's a lot to be encouraged by as a Wildcat fan.

First, the defense's ability to withstand the first two possessions starting in their own territory (and the third just beyond the 50) and only giving up three points.

Second, the offense's ability to settle in after three three-and-outs to open the game.

Third, the emergence of two backs aside from Welcsh that will get him more of his snaps defensively.

Fourth, the QBs' ability to spread the ball around and incorporate targets aside from Cmiel.

They drove four hours, played well enough to win in convincing fashion but poorly enough that there's a lot to focus on this week in practice and prepare for a team that's got to feel really good coming off of a win that all but assures them of a home game in the playoffs. If 2-2 was the target after four games, the Cats are in decent position to be two weeks ahead of schedule. Also, the Cats team I watched yesterday can certainly beat the DeMatha team that I watched vs. Bosco.

Also, a free student-run broadcast doesn't owe anyone anything. I'm sure these young men are proud and want to get better because they want to get better. I'm confident they will get better. My suggestion to them is that they say the time remaining more frequently, especially in the fourth quarter, given there's no clock on the scorebug.
That Bosco team makes a lot of squads look bad. That said, if Dematha doesn't make a qb change, I like Ignatius' chances against them.

Does anyone know whether the 80-yard TD score by Cmiel was the result of an audible? He was out there alone and I wonder if Loyola just forgot to cover him. And a few days ago I posted whether Cmiel was fast enough to be a Div. I receiver. I now have my answer (and yes, I know he.s going on to play lacrosse for THE OSU).

Does anyone know whether the 80-yard TD score by Cmiel was the result of an audible? He was out there alone and I wonder if Loyola just forgot to cover him. And a few days ago I posted whether Cmiel was fast enough to be a Div. I receiver. I now have my answer (and yes, I know he.s going on to play lacrosse for THE OSU).

From the game account posted by Joe Ginley:

On just the second play of the ensuing drive, Hanna found Cmiel on a screen pass. The play was designed to isolate Cmiel on the nearside, with left tackle Nick Schwitzgebel coming out to take out the cornerback. Without a deep safety to stop him, Cmiel was off to the races on an 80-yard touchdown.
"Connor Cmiel broke one, and you knew he would one of these plays," said Coach Kyle. "They were double covering him and bracketing him, but we forced them into a situation where they had to honor the other side of the field a little bit more. He just did the job."

Last edited:
As someone outside the schools listening, I prefer the student broadcast of St Ignatius over the adult homer love fest of the Eagles broadcast. Sure, the adults are more refined. The kids have some learning to do...they can’t all be John Fanta. But I would prefer to listen to them.

Now you're just being an a-hole.

As someone outside the schools listening, I prefer the student broadcast of St Ignatius over the adult homer love fest of the Eagles broadcast. Sure, the adults are more refined. The kids have some learning to do...they can’t all be John Fanta. But I would prefer to listen to them.

I can remember the grief John Fanta took when he started broadcasting as a sophomore, since his voice hadn't changed. People were coming on Yappi mocking him, saying he sounded like a girl. Now he's a professional, working in sports broadcasting. Mike Watts is on the Bengals pre-season telecasts and Brendan Gulick works at 92.3 and does B-W games. We all have to start somewhere and I am very grateful that the school has allowed these kids to get an experience they would have never gotten. They aren't as refined as the three I mentioned, but they also aren't aspiring broadcast professionals. Here's an article about those who got their start on the SIBN and have gone on:

Last edited:
It's crazy to think Ignatius has to play at Mentor, at Hoban, and at Dematha the next 3 weeks. How worn out will these kids be after that 3 game stretch?

Status
Not open for further replies.