2019 MVL Projections

Troy fans, is this Fairborn game worth coming out to? With Tecumseh being awful, I'm trying to hit all MVL teams and I've seen them all for most part except Troy. I'll be at the showdown vs Xenia, but is this a game Fairborn make slightly interesting? Every other game seems pretty lame this week

Troy fans, is this Fairborn game worth coming out to? With Tecumseh being awful, I'm trying to hit all MVL teams and I've seen them all for most part except Troy. I'll be at the showdown vs Xenia, but is this a game Fairborn make slightly interesting? Every other game seems pretty lame this week

Hopefully Fairborn makes it interesting. I believe they are capable of it. Troy and Xenia are no doubt the class of the league. It helps them that their player pool is bigger than the other MVL schools. The strength of both Troy & Xenia is found in the size & talent of their offensive & defensive lines. It can be tough for smaller rostered teams to last a full 4 quarters with them unless they are in exceptional shape.

Last edited:
Hmmm. Idk who that is. Tipp isn't a bad place to pluck coaches. Nice pull I suppose. What in depth scouting? What is that?

I'm referring to the HUDL Scouting Program that coaches have access to use. Some staffs are very talented with it & some less talented. Some may not even use all of it or any of it. You get out of it what you put into it, so it can be time consuming in a sport that does not give one a lot of time to prepare scouting wise for the next opponent each week. It requires a degree of coordination between staff members & some late night work. It is also an important area of knowledge to consider when hiring a new head coach during interviews.

All opponents in Ohio trade their two most recent game videos or those requested by the opponent with each other in HUDL for scouting purposes. HUDL allows you to break down each game by offense, defense, and kicking with down, distance, formations, plays, motion type & direction, defensive fronts, Blitzes, pass zones, key players, etc; etc;. The kicker is that all of that data has to be input by the staff on each play of each game video and needs to be done by Sunday at the latest after receiving the opponents Friday night game video in addition to the other game videos you have of the opponent. Once inputted, you can retrieve Scouting Reports from the HUDL Report Center that tell you what the opponents formations, favorite plays etc; are and percentage of the time they run certain plays & formations and when they run them by down & distance & field location, hash mark, red zone, etc:. When do they like to blitz?, do they change coverages in the red zone?, etc;. You can also create custom reports from any data that you input like which pass zones do they throw to with each of their receivers by jersey number for example or the plays & percentages they run or pass out of different formations, trips, doubles, etc; or backfield set like pistol, Ace, or sidecar. The ability to make custom reports is endless. All of this can then be brought up on video with corresponding clips during the teams film sessions for study. For instance the defensive backs coach may want to show clips of all their pass plays/patterns or narrow it down to something like all of their 3rd and long pass plays etc;. In the kicking game you can show each KO one after the other and look for any give away that tells you they are going to onside kick for instance; number of steps the kicker sets up at back & over or different player personnel or alignment. The key factors in HUDL Scouting are the knowledge of what the program can give you on your opponent based upon what data you need to input to receive that information. I could go on and on for hours about scouting, but I think this gives you a good idea of what I was talking about.

Last edited:

I never want to be too confident because you can never know, but Troy should win by a lot. But then again, they should have beaten Sidney by a lot.

I never want to be too confident because you can never know, but Troy should win by a lot. But then again, they should have beaten Sidney by a lot.
I feel like this has been a common theme for Troy this year. They're just not as good as we expected. Still better than nearly everyone in the MVL (Xenia the only challenger), but not as wide of a gap as we thought.

For example, games against Tipp, Greenville & Sidney were all probably expected to be big Troy wins, but all were competitive games. It's become more than just a one time question, so I think that leans more towards Troy not being as good as we thought.

I don't think Fairborn will be much of a test for Troy, but Fairborn has been up and down this year as well. Even though Butler isn't great, 39-0 is surprising. They also played Tipp/Sidney/Greenville tough as well, even though they lost all of those.

I feel like this has been a common theme for Troy this year. They're just not as good as we expected. Still better than nearly everyone in the MVL (Xenia the only challenger), but not as wide of a gap as we thought.

For example, games against Tipp, Greenville & Sidney were all probably expected to be big Troy wins, but all were competitive games. It's become more than just a one time question, so I think that leans more towards Troy not being as good as we thought.

I don't think Fairborn will be much of a test for Troy, but Fairborn has been up and down this year as well. Even though Butler isn't great, 39-0 is surprising. They also played Tipp/Sidney/Greenville tough as well, even though they lost all of those.

Maybe most people, but I knew Troy would be down. I said it before the year started. I said they would still probably be the best team, but it wont be by a wide margin like years past. They are likely to get beaten in the 1st round of the playoffs this year. However, they really haven't played up to their full potential. They have made some dumb mistakes in most games this year and a lot of the scores indicate that.

Troy lost almost all their starters to graduation so this year is nearly a complete reload outside of Siler, Weston, & a few linemen. I would say their staff has done a pretty good job. The Fairborn win over Butler should have been every bit of 49-0. Their JV played most of the 4th quarter & most of the second half was a running clock. The Greenville & Sidney games should have been wins for the Skyhawks and the Tipp game could have been if they had scored the two times they were deep in the red zone & came up empty. I would feel better about the Skyhawks chances if they were playing at home where all of their wins have come.

Last edited:
I l
If there is any hot seat right now on the HC for Vandalia-Butler Football, I would have lost all faith in the community I lived, played for and graduated from. There is no hot seat good lord. The only hot seat is the of the non-sport playing , internet junk heads the community is full of now.
I have a son in the program and I hate to admit, but there is a lot of quit in the program right now. Coaches getting into with each other, re-assigning jobs because of whatever. Head coach took control of play-calling, and that did the job. But it is what it is, only a few more weeks left and we'll see what happens. But don't see a lot of progress of this program on the upside in the near future. People get what they get....

Troy lost almost all their starters to graduation so this year is nearly a complete reload outside of Siler, Weston, & a few linemen. I would say their staff has done a pretty good job. The Fairborn win over Butler should have been every bit of 49-0. Their JV played most of the 4th quarter & most of the second half was a running clock. The Greenville & Sidney games should have been wins for the Skyhawks and the Tipp game could have been if they had scored the two times they were deep in the red zone & came up empty. I would feel better about the Skyhawks chances if they were playing at home where all of their wins have come.
It was ugly from the time they got off the bus of the Fairborn-Butler game. Well coached Fairborn team and wish them all the best. The way better team won. I never imagined my son would be on that side of a running clock game. I couldn't wait to get it over for him and his teammates.

It was ugly from the time they got off the bus of the Fairborn-Butler game. Well coached Fairborn team and wish them all the best. The way better team won. I never imagined my son would be on that side of a running clock game. I couldn't wait to get it over for him and his teammates.

Butler has some good athletes ... just not enough. Playing way too many on both sides of the ball unfortunately. I don't think Casella, who is an excellent player among others, ever came off the field. Their offensive strategy was the best they could hope for with what they had to work with. They couldn't run at all on the Skyhawks (29 yards) and their quick pass attack which eliminated sacks was there but netted only 23 yards with Fairborn playing a two deep zone & swarming to the ball. The Aviators just do not have the offensive line to run the ball or the defensive line to stop the run & that is a must in order to win.

Last edited:
I have a son in the program and I hate to admit, but there is a lot of quit in the program right now. Coaches getting into with each other, re-assigning jobs because of whatever. Head coach took control of play-calling, and that did the job. But it is what it is, only a few more weeks left and we'll see what happens. But don't see a lot of progress of this program on the upside in the near future. People get what they get....

Been there; Seen that. Not a good situation. Wish you luck!

Based upon common opponents scores I would peg Troy as a 13.8 point favorite on a "Neutral Field". As they are playing at Troy that is probably worth another 7 points. With that said, Fairborn has played its best ball over the last three games and would be 3-0 in that stretch if not for key players missing the Sidney game. Give Sidney credit though on their last second Hook & Ladder to win when it appeared the game was going into overtime with Fairborn having serious momentum.

I l
If there is any hot seat right now on the HC for Vandalia-Butler Football, I would have lost all faith in the community I lived, played for and graduated from. There is no hot seat good lord. The only hot seat is the of the non-sport playing , internet junk heads the community is full of now.
Thank you! The problems lie with the community and the kids. Hyatt was raked through the coals and dragged through the streets and was supposedly "all that was wrong" with Vandalia football. He was actually a darn good coach. Enter John Puckett who is another fine coach and he is actually not winning as many games as Hyatt did in two years on the job. Now I haven't heard of him being on a hotseat nor should he be. My point is that it ain't a coaching problem in Vandalia its just the community and lack of kids wanting to play and work hard. Vandalia parents are the worst at wanting to blame coaches and practice schedules, routines, etc. Urban Meyer wouldn't win at Vandalia for the same reason you can't get blood from a turnip. In high school football it's all about the kids. How athletic is the class? What does the talent pool look like in comparison to who you play?

Thank you! The problems lie with the community and the kids. Hyatt was raked through the coals and dragged through the streets and was supposedly "all that was wrong" with Vandalia football. He was actually a darn good coach. Enter John Puckett who is another fine coach and he is actually not winning as many games as Hyatt did in two years on the job. Now I haven't heard of him being on a hotseat nor should he be. My point is that it ain't a coaching problem in Vandalia its just the community and lack of kids wanting to play and work hard. Vandalia parents are the worst at wanting to blame coaches and practice schedules, routines, etc. Urban Meyer wouldn't win at Vandalia for the same reason you can't get blood from a turnip. In high school football it's all about the kids. How athletic is the class? What does the talent pool look like in comparison to who you play?
You are clueless. Hyatt was terrible. He took a group of talent kids and drove them into the ground. Your head is so far up his rear you cant see his mistakes. Go talk to guys who coached with him. Go talk to coach Pel and ask him about Hyatt.

Blaming the town is a cowards excuse. Did the town have 6AM workouts and drive kids off? Did the town lie to kids like Hyatt did? Did the town call Northmont the team over the damn so they would beat us by 50? Did the town lie to assistant coaches like Hyatt did? Did the town get 52 yars against Fairborn?

The excuses are getting old. The kids in Vandalia arent different than the kids in Harrison Troy or Massilon. Get the kids out for the team and coach them up. Everything else is a excuse.

You are clueless. Hyatt was terrible. He took a group of talent kids and drove them into the ground. Your head is so far up his rear you cant see his mistakes. Go talk to guys who coached with him. Go talk to coach Pel and ask him about Hyatt.

Blaming the town is a cowards excuse. Did the town have 6AM workouts and drive kids off? Did the town lie to kids like Hyatt did? Did the town call Northmont the team over the damn so they would beat us by 50? Did the town lie to assistant coaches like Hyatt did? Did the town get 52 yars against Fairborn?

The excuses are getting old. The kids in Vandalia arent different than the kids in Harrison Troy or Massilon. Get the kids out for the team and coach them up. Everything else is a excuse.
I'm on this boat too.. You're telling me that Tipp, Piqua, WC, Greenville, etc have that much better kids than Butler?? Or now adding Fairborn to that list?? I understand Butler may have quit, but to only gain 52 yards?? I've seen Butler play and they aren't loaded, but neither is anyone else. This is a coaching problem. Maybe some coaches personality doesn't match the community's. It is all about fit. But at the end of the day their talent level is 4-6 rock bottom. It is not the community. That is an awful excuse.

Injuries are part of the game & affect every team. I feel very confident that Fairborn would have won over Sidney if they had not been missing 3 starters (5 positions & a punt returner) due to two way players. Of course it affects those teams that carry a smaller roster like Butler & Fairborn more than it would others.
I absolutely agree. Many teams are dealing with a lot, and as you mentioned, Easier for others to get over them...or at least get by. Fairborn just hasn’t been in a position the past couple of years to be able to grind out wins. They are definitely the most talented Fairborn team to come around in a while. Kerns has done a great job.

I absolutely agree. Many teams are dealing with a lot, and as you mentioned, Easier for others to get over them...or at least get by. Fairborn just hasn’t been in a position the past couple of years to be able to grind out wins. They are definitely the most talented Fairborn team to come around in a while. Kerns has done a great job.
I agree. I didn't buy their stock until the last 3 weeks. When in year one you continue to grow and get better shows that he may get it. Overcoming some tough losses and leads - sign of a culture swing. And from my understanding is returning almost everyone back? If this season can draw some athletic kids in the school... Could be looking at a possible contender. Ballboy, how old are some of these coaches? Do they stick around or are they looking to leave? Stat wise, this is an impressive team. I don't like Fairborn particularly from my playing days, but for as rough as it is for some of these kids, I hope the core staff sticks around. Especially, if they're good men who want to improve the kids lives. You seem connected to the program.

Why are we talking about Hyatt? Everyone agrees that was a disaster.

So you think that there are all these studs just walking around Vandalia, and these studs dont want to play football due to a coach? I am sorry, those studs can stay in the hallway. If you do want to play football due to a coach your not a football player.

The town will get the team it deserves.

I agree. I didn't buy their stock until the last 3 weeks. When in year one you continue to grow and get better shows that he may get it. Overcoming some tough losses and leads - sign of a culture swing. And from my understanding is returning almost everyone back? If this season can draw some athletic kids in the school... Could be looking at a possible contender. Ballboy, how old are some of these coaches? Do they stick around or are they looking to leave? Stat wise, this is an impressive team. I don't like Fairborn particularly from my playing days, but for as rough as it is for some of these kids, I hope the core staff sticks around. Especially, if they're good men who want to improve the kids lives. You seem connected to the program.

Yes, Fairborn has 4 contributing seniors they will lose to graduation. The hardest one to replace will be the QB Garison Secrest who holds 4 school records in the area of completions & completion percentage, but Fairborn is no longer a predominately passing team. It is possible they could lose a very good Junior Safety/WR whose military family may get transfered. We hate to lose our military kids, but it happens. The Skyhawks have a tough final stretch with both Troy & Xenia still on the schedule. Hopefully, they will be competitive. This staff has done a good job with what they have. Kerns has a very good hard working staff that get along extremely well. He places culture first. Most of the coaches are in their mid 20s to late 30s with a couple of old codgers sprinkled in. He has 9 coaches on staff under him, not counting any Junior High Coaches. Several played college ball. Of the 10 coaches, six were hired as teachers with coaching backgrounds and are in the classrooms & hallways daily with the players. None are looking to leave that I know of. I am connected with the program, but not as a paid on field coach. I coached at 4 high schools in 3 states before retiring, but not at Fairborn.

Last edited:
Hard to figure out the MVL this year but it’s been fun week to week because you never know what’s gonna happen. It’s week 8 and I still don’t know a whole lot. All I do know is it looks like Xenia is the best team in the league.

Went to Stebbins last night to watch Butler and boy oh boy was it tough to watch. I don’t know what has happened but man they have fallen off big time since the West Carrolton game. Unless they can really get up for Tipp I don’t see another win this year.

I ended up going to West Jeff/WLS game. Butler, wow. I think the hot seat is real. Who was at Fairborn vs Troy game? Was it any good? 9-7 can also be misleading. What happened?

I really don't know what is going on in Troy either, I wish the Xenia/Troy game was in Troy. I'd rather watch that game next Friday then the Piqua-Tipp City game.

I
I ended up going to West Jeff/WLS game. Butler, wow. I think the hot seat is real. Who was at Fairborn vs Troy game? Was it any good? 9-7 can also be misleading. What happened?
It was just an old fashioned ugly game. Troy is only average this year and Fairborn is much improved and are well coached. They are honestly not bad. Troy won on a blocked punt that went out of the end zone for a safety. At this point Xenia will probably beat us up pretty good.

The next two years will be Troy’s years. They are young. Have tons of sophomores and juniors this year, and some who have no varsity experience. What helps Troy is they are massive. Mostly juniors too. There line is all 300+ and are nasty

The next two years will be Troy’s years. They are young. Have tons of sophomores and juniors this year, and some who have no varsity experience. What helps Troy is they are massive. Mostly juniors too. There line is all 300+ and are nasty

That seems to be the trend in the MVL this year, everyone seems to be pretty young. I think the next few years will be very fun to watch!

I

It was just an old fashioned ugly game. Troy is only average this year and Fairborn is much improved and are well coached. They are honestly not bad. Troy won on a blocked punt that went out of the end zone for a safety. At this point Xenia will probably beat us up pretty good.
For a school that has never been to the playoffs, this is the most important game for Xenia in quite some time. I'm no Harbin expert, but the winner would likely clinch a playoff spot in their respective region...Troy likely clinching a home game and Xenia moving into 5th or 6th depending on the outcome of Winton Woods' game with La Salle.

For a school that has never been to the playoffs, this is the most important game for Xenia in quite some time. I'm no Harbin expert, but the winner would likely clinch a playoff spot in their respective region...Troy likely clinching a home game and Xenia moving into 5th or 6th depending on the outcome of Winton Woods' game with La Salle.

Xenia most likely has to win out to make the playoffs. Troy can drop one and still get in it appears. Xenia is in a very tough region. If I'm not mistaken Troy who was ranked 3rd in their region before Friday night would have been ranked 13th or 14th in Xenia's region where the Bucs were ranked 9th.

I

Yes Sir. An excellent display of old fashioned defense. Got to hand it to the defensive coaches on each side. They had great game plans. Troy went 50 yards on 3 plays on their opening possession to score & never threatened again. Same with Fairborn. They drove 65 yards to score on their opening possession and never threatened again. There were 11 punts in the game. With a little over a minute to play Troy got a hand on a Fairborn punt knocking it out of the end zone for a safety. That is 2 of the last 3 weeks the Skyhawks lost a game that looked to be going into overtime.

Fairborn is 2nd in the MVL in Overall Defense & 1st against the Run. Troy is 3rd in Overall Defense & 1st in Overall Offense. The Stats show West Carrollton 3rd in defense but their stats are wrong because they do not include the offensive stats for their first two opponents. In reality WC is 7th in Overall Defense giving up 311.3 yards per game for the 6 games they have recorded defensive stats. Fairborn returns 8 of their defensive starters next year from the game & Troy returns 6 of theirs.

Attachments

• Overall Defense.PNG
    Overall Defense.PNG
    70.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Went to Stebbins last night to watch Butler and boy oh boy was it tough to watch. I don’t know what has happened but man they have fallen off big time since the West Carrolton game. Unless they can really get up for Tipp I don’t see another win this year.

It’s not shocking. Vandalia was already one of the smallest teams this year in size and in numbers and they have been hit with injuries. The offensive line has been decimated which is why the offensive output is down. The coaches didn’t forget how to coach only so much you can do when your biggest guy is 250 and you are going up against physical 300+ pound lines. They will be improved next year and will be competing for the MVL in 2021. No hot seat here just the growing pains of rebuilding a program.