2017-18 Buckeye Basketball

Nebraska could put up a challenge. Played Purdue tough and put a whooping on Michigan. Fairly balanced scoring and rebounding.

The Nebraska game is a NBA like the 4th game in 8 days, tired legs will be a factor in this game.

#13 Ohio State 64
Nebraska 59

Buckeyes surge late to seal the game and go to 18-4, 9-0 in the B1G. Host Penn State on Thursday. Same Buckeye time, same Buckeye channel.

Box Score - 23/52 FG (44.2%) - 2/14 3PT (14.3%) - 16/23 FT (69.6%)

Bates-Diop - 20 PTS - 8/16 FG - 0/3 3PT - 4/5 FT - 6 REB - 2 AST - 2 BLK - 1 STL

Tate - 17 PTS - 7/12 FG - 0/1 3PT - 3/5 FT - 7 REB - 2 AST - 1 STL

K. Wesson - 12 PTS - 3/5 FG - 6/8 FT - 7 REB - 2 AST

Jackson - 12 PTS - 4/10 FG - 1/5 3PT - 3/3 FT - 4 AST - 4 REB

A. Wesson - 3 PTS - 1/2 3PT - 1 REB - 1 AST

Dakich - 0/1 3PT - 0/2 FT - 4 REB - 2 AST - 2 STL

Jallow - 3 REB

Williams - 0/3 FG - 0/1 3PT - 2 REB

Young - 0/1 FG - 1 AST

Potter - 0/2 FG - 0/1 3PT

I'd be very surprised if they or MSU didn't win it. Still, can't believe Ohio State is in first place this long into the year

How good is the new coach? Think the Buckeyes will be able to keep him around for a while? Or will he venture to a bigger program. I'd have to think OSU would be willing to pay the man if his success continues, which it should only get better with only one short recruiting period that he has had.

Looking like a COY contender right now. They have him locked down for 7 more years after this. His buyout is insane so it looks like he's stuck for now.

How good is the new coach? Think the Buckeyes will be able to keep him around for a while? Or will he venture to a bigger program. I'd have to think OSU would be willing to pay the man if his success continues, which it should only get better with only one short recruiting period that he has had.

My answers:
- How good is the new coach? Seems very good. Team plays fundamentally sound. Love the way he talks about the game and his players. Let's let him finish a season though.

- Think the Buckeyes will be able to keep him around for a while? Long contract with big buyout. But OSU is not a stepping-stone job, it is a destination. He will stay as long as OSU wants to keep him.

- Or will he venture to a bigger program? So after a couple good years at Butler and a half of a season at OSU, you think he is heading to Duke, UNC or Kentucky? :laugh: OSU is a prized job, and if he is able to replicate or exceed what Thad did, he will be treated like a king here.

My answers:
- How good is the new coach? Seems very good. Team plays fundamentally sound. Love the way he talks about the game and his players. Let's let him finish a season though.

- Think the Buckeyes will be able to keep him around for a while? Long contract with big buyout. But OSU is not a stepping-stone job, it is a destination. He will stay as long as OSU wants to keep him.

- Or will he venture to a bigger program? So after a couple good years at Butler and a half of a season at OSU, you think he is heading to Duke, UNC or Kentucky? :laugh: OSU is a prized job, and if he is able to replicate or exceed what Thad did, he will be treated like a king here.
I think you may have taken my post as an attack on OSU. It certainly isn't, more of an endorsement of how good of a coach I think they have. He stepped into Butler with pretty high expectations and did very well following in Brad's footsteps. Which was no easy task. I think he is an outstanding in game coach who gets the most out of his players. I see his stock rising, I think he is one of the next big time coaches and will eventually demand top 5 money.

Never said I thought he is headed to Duke UNC or UK after half a season at OSU and a few years at Butler. I am talking a few years down the line with maintained success would it be likely for the Buckeyes to be able to keep him.

I'd consider it a destination job. however I think there are a few schools that could poach him if they ever opened up.

Let's say he maintains success and Kansas gets tired of Bill Self, Cal or Roy retire etc, would OSU be willing to make him one of the highest paid coaches in the game. Talking top 5 money.

He isn't an Ohio native, actually from Kentucky.

For the record I do know of some U of L people (boosters) who want U of L to make a run at him. However unlikely as that is with their current situation.

Last edited:
True but his contract in 2016 was for 3.3 million and Holtmann makes I think 3.1 million this year. So not much of a difference, paid very well. However those salaries are still a few million away from what Kansas Duke UNC UK and formerly U of L are/were paying their coaches.

There is a pretty big difference in pay between them and the rest of college basketball, almost double his salary, more than double for UK and Duke.

Surprisingly UNC only pays Roy 2.1 million in base pay but his contract with Nike and Learfield is supposed to be huge and UNC won't release his true pay, rumored to be around 6 million.

And I realize OSU is basically the richest school out there so it isn't if they can afford him but would they be willing to if a big time blue blood comes calling.

I didn't realize how close Thad and Holtmann's salaries are. I'm guessing if it came to it, OSU would let Holtmann go and hire someone else. But I have no way of knowing that.

It certainly isn't season of under after the 4th year.

"The term sheet stipulates that if Holtmann were to terminate his employment within the first four years of the deal (before June 2021), he would owe Ohio State the remaining total cash compensation of the contract, multiplied by the years left on the deal."

That has the potential for a 100+ million buyout

However after year 4 it is most likely below a million...

From the same article:
Beyond that, the buyout would be a little more manageable. If Holtmann leaves at any point after the first four years, he would owe Ohio State the total of his three assistant coaches' salaries for the remainder of his employment agreement. That could be a multi-million-dollar buyout or one that's less than $1 million, depending on when Holtmann left and how much his assistants make.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/2017/06/chris_holtmanns_8-year_contrac.html

I don’t see why Holtmann would leave. He’s had a great 20 games at his first power 5 gig, but it’s still very early. I doubt the blue bloods are going to double his pay based on what he’s shown so far. OSU as a program has a high ceiling as well, he can build them back into a national power.

PSU 82
OSU 79

KBD hits a deep off-balance three with 5 seconds left to tie it and PSU wins it on a near half court heave at the buzzer.

Yeahhh...that kind of night.